Official Sony KDL 32EX400 40EX400 46EX400 EX401 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 770 Old 08-07-2010, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickio View Post

Thanx for your reply. I have flash player but it did say something about photo pucket but thats the install thing I was talking about. I dont install other software like that on to any of my computers. Most places allow you to do so right from the message box, but I dont see an upload button.

Photobucket isn't a software to be installed. It's a website for hosting photos.

go to www.photobucket.com and sign up for a free account.

Once you have an account you can upload photos. for each photo there are several options for copying the link of the photo simply click on the IMG code link once and it will be copied to the clipboard. Then you can paste that link into this thread. Photobucket uses flash to operate that's why you need flash player installed.
MacinMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 770 Old 08-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Alternatively, you can use Imageshack, which you don't need to register for and doesn't require flash.

http://imageshack.us/


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

fairchild99 is offline  
post #273 of 770 Old 08-08-2010, 03:10 AM
Member
 
Nickio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanx for your replies I will have to give that a shot then. I just figured it was a program needing to be installed. Thanx for clearing that up, I do have flash on here too but its always off unless a page requires it to be used, then it askes to turn it on.
Nickio is offline  
post #274 of 770 Old 08-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Member
 
Nickio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
YES It worked. This is my Sony KDL 40EX400 hooked up to my computer via HDMI. It looks much better in person though......there are things in the pic that do not appear in person. Thanx again for your help with the picture uploading process.
Nickio is offline  
post #275 of 770 Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
How do I completely reset this TV back to factory defaults? I'm aware of the reset option for sound options the picture settings, and the advanced settings, but those only reset those respective settings. If I were to make a mistake, or just want to completely wipe the set clean? How would I do so? The manual isn't really clear on this.

Thanks
MacinMan is offline  
post #276 of 770 Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Member
 
Nickio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What about if you did a system update, or re install the version it came with. I'm sure the website has the files somewhere....I believe I remember something about it being able to be updated.
Nickio is offline  
post #277 of 770 Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickio View Post

What about if you did a system update, or re install the version it came with. I'm sure the website has the files somewhere....I believe I remember something about it being able to be updated.

That actually leads me to a different question, Does sony provide firmware updates for the ex400 series? It has a usb port.
MacinMan is offline  
post #278 of 770 Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Member
 
Nickio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes I believe it does allow that. I looked online on the sony style website and there is a link at the bottom. Go to your model tv and then scroll all the way down. Look for the items listed under support and then click product support. I had to hold down "control and alt" on the computer to allow it to pop-up. In the new window enter your model and whatever else it asks for ad then it brings up the files. I just tried this so I saw it there as an update for th usb. I did not however install the update.
Nickio is offline  
post #279 of 770 Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...L32EX400&LOC=3

That's the link to the direct support for the 32EX400, you can look for the other EX400 there, although the firmware should be identical for the entire EX400 line.

Also yeah, you can update the firmware to 1.512 but beware, doing it will be hard depending on what USB flash drive you have, it wouldn't work with my 4gb SanDisk. They only guarantee the firmware will update with their Sony branded USB flash drives, I picked up an 8GB Sony which was on sale at my local Target for like $21 and it updated perfectly.

Changes for the latest firmware are:

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version 1.512) provides the following benefits:

* Resolves an issue where color may be incorrect when using an HDMI connection.
* Resolves an issue where some Cisco cable boxes may stop responding when the TV is turned on.
* Resolves an issue where the picture may not be displayed when using a Sony® BDP-S570 Blu-ray Disc™ player connected by HDMI and using one-touch play.
* Allows for the power-on chime sound coming through the TV speakers (not through the Optical Out) to be turned off in the Setup Menu.

BTW, at least on my 32EX400, updating the firmware did not reset my settings. I had all my picture/sound etc settings all left intact.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

fairchild99 is offline  
post #280 of 770 Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...L32EX400&LOC=3

That's the link to the direct support for the 32EX400, you can look for the other EX400 there, although the firmware should be identical for the entire EX400 line.

Also yeah, you can update the firmware to 1.512 but beware, doing it will be hard depending on what USB flash drive you have, it wouldn't work with my 4gb SanDisk. They only guarantee the firmware will update with their Sony branded USB flash drives, I picked up an 8GB Sony which was on sale at my local Target for like $21 and it updated perfectly.

Changes for the latest firmware are:

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version 1.512) provides the following benefits:

* Resolves an issue where color may be incorrect when using an HDMI connection.
* Resolves an issue where some Cisco cable boxes may stop responding when the TV is turned on.
* Resolves an issue where the picture may not be displayed when using a Sony® BDP-S570 Blu-ray Disc player connected by HDMI and using one-touch play.
* Allows for the power-on chime sound coming through the TV speakers (not through the Optical Out) to be turned off in the Setup Menu.

BTW, at least on my 32EX400, updating the firmware did not reset my settings. I had all my picture/sound etc settings all left intact.

Thanks guys the update installed flawlessly, I used my sandisk 8GB without a hitch. I actually removed the software sandisk packages with their drives with a special tool they provide as it's not usable for mac users. Now the drive just functions as a normal flash drive. My TV is up to date now 1.512 simple download copied the file to the drive plugged into the tv cycled power, updated, done.
MacinMan is offline  
post #281 of 770 Old 08-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I found these calibrations on a different webiste and they are looking very very nice for me on my 32EX400. They are originally for a 46EX700 but they are looking very very good for me. I don't have any calibration tools to test myself, but let me know what you guys think:

* Picture Modes
o Picture Mode : Custom
o Color Temperature : Warm 2
o Aspect Ratio : Full
* Picture Settings
o Backlight : 2
o Picture/Contrast : 90
o Brightness : 54
o Color : 48
o Hue : 0
o Sharpness : 5 (suggested setting in the calibration was 10)
o Noise Reduction : Off
o MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
o MotionFlow : Off
o Cinemotion : Auto 1
* Advanced Menu
o Black Corrector : Off
o Adv Contrast Enhancer : Off
o Gamma : 0
o Auto Light Limiter : Off
o Clear White : Off
o Live Color : Off
o White Balance : Factory Default

---------------------------------------

On an off-note, I'm also testing the new settings that Serialmike is using on his 60EX500 which he posted on the EX500 thread. This is what they are btw:

Cinema
Backlight-Min
Picture-97
Brightness-50
Color-45
Hue-0
Color Temp-Warm 2
Sharpness-5
Noise reduc-off
Mpeg noise reduc-off
Motionflow-standard
Cinemotion-off
ambient sensor-off


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

fairchild99 is offline  
post #282 of 770 Old 08-14-2010, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

I found these calibrations on a different webiste and they are looking very very nice for me on my 32EX400. They are originally for a 46EX700 but they are looking very very good for me. I don't have any calibration tools to test myself, but let me know what you guys think:

* Picture Modes
o Picture Mode : Custom
o Color Temperature : Warm 2
o Aspect Ratio : Full
* Picture Settings
o Backlight : 2
o Picture/Contrast : 90
o Brightness : 54
o Color : 48
o Hue : 0
o Sharpness : 5 (suggested setting in the calibration was 10)
o Noise Reduction : Off
o MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
o MotionFlow : Off
o Cinemotion : Auto 1
* Advanced Menu
o Black Corrector : Off
o Adv Contrast Enhancer : Off
o Gamma : 0
o Auto Light Limiter : Off
o Clear White : Off
o Live Color : Off
o White Balance : Factory Default

---------------------------------------

On an off-note, I'm also testing the new settings that Serialmike is using on his 60EX500 which he posted on the EX500 thread. This is what they are btw:

Cinema
Backlight-Min
Picture-97
Brightness-50
Color-45
Hue-0
Color Temp-Warm 2
Sharpness-5
Noise reduc-off
Mpeg noise reduc-off
Motionflow-standard
Cinemotion-off
ambient sensor-off

For the first set of settings back the brightness down to 50 instead of 54, I just tested the settings, according to the avs 709 disc 54 is too high other then that, everything else looks really good.

My main settings were similar which I calibrated myself with but all in all the ones you posted aren't much different. The only difference is I had the enhancers both set to medium. and my color was 50 to 55. After tweaking the above settings i came up with:

Picture Mode: Custom
backlight 2
picture 90
brightness 50
color 48
hue 0
sharpness 5
color temp warm 2
noise reduction both off
cinemotion auto
advanced menu
contrast and black enhancers both off
gamma 0
live color off
white balance default

ambient light sensor off.

Just thought i'd post settings that registered within guidelines of a calibration disc to give people peace of mind that the settings are reliable

Oh and These settings are done on a sony 32EX400 in average room lighting. They seem to work well for both day and night viewing.
MacinMan is offline  
post #283 of 770 Old 08-14-2010, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
serialmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

I found these calibrations on a different webiste and they are looking very very nice for me on my 32EX400. They are originally for a 46EX700 but they are looking very very good for me. I don't have any calibration tools to test myself, but let me know what you guys think:

* Picture Modes
o Picture Mode : Custom
o Color Temperature : Warm 2
o Aspect Ratio : Full
* Picture Settings
o Backlight : 2
o Picture/Contrast : 90
o Brightness : 54
o Color : 48
o Hue : 0
o Sharpness : 5 (suggested setting in the calibration was 10)
o Noise Reduction : Off
o MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
o MotionFlow : Off
o Cinemotion : Auto 1
* Advanced Menu
o Black Corrector : Off
o Adv Contrast Enhancer : Off
o Gamma : 0
o Auto Light Limiter : Off
o Clear White : Off
o Live Color : Off
o White Balance : Factory Default

---------------------------------------

On an off-note, I'm also testing the new settings that Serialmike is using on his 60EX500 which he posted on the EX500 thread. This is what they are btw:

Cinema
Backlight-Min
Picture-97
Brightness-50
Color-45
Hue-0
Color Temp-Warm 2
Sharpness-5
Noise reduc-off
Mpeg noise reduc-off
Motionflow-standard
Cinemotion-off
ambient sensor-off


It is most important to note that these settings are specifically for CINEMA mode.

Settings
60EX500

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


60ex500 new version

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

serialmike is offline  
post #284 of 770 Old 08-14-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

It is most important to note that these settings are specifically for CINEMA mode.

If you're directing that to me, I was referring to the custom settings. Cinema is calibrated out of the box according to my disc. so i have no complaints about sony's defaults for theater mode. It's the settings outside of theater mode that need a bit of tweaking, but honestly not much. sony has done a really good job of factory settings.
MacinMan is offline  
post #285 of 770 Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
serialmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

If you're directing that to me, I was referring to the custom settings. Cinema is calibrated out of the box according to my disc. so i have no complaints about sony's defaults for theater mode. It's the settings outside of theater mode that need a bit of tweaking, but honestly not much. sony has done a really good job of factory settings.



You posted and quoted my exact Cinema mode settings without stating they were the cinema mode settings. I simply pointed that out as it is important.

Settings
60EX500

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


60ex500 new version

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

serialmike is offline  
post #286 of 770 Old 08-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

You posted and quoted my exact Cinema mode settings without stating they were the cinema mode settings. I simply pointed that out as it is important.

Actually, I was the one that quoted your Cinema settings. And I did put in there that they were Cinema. I'll bold/underline it for you, this was the original post btw:

Quote:
On an off-note, I'm also testing the new settings that Serialmike is using on his 60EX500 which he posted on the EX500 thread. This is what they are btw:

Cinema
Backlight-Min
Picture-97
Brightness-50
Color-45
Hue-0
Color Temp-Warm 2
Sharpness-5
Noise reduc-off
Mpeg noise reduc-off
Motionflow-standard
Cinemotion-off
ambient sensor-off



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

fairchild99 is offline  
post #287 of 770 Old 08-15-2010, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
serialmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Actually, I was the one that quoted your Cinema settings. And I did put in there that they were Cinema. I'll bold/underline it for you, this was the original post btw:

HUh, you know what. Im sorry. I dont know how I didnt see it in there yesterday. Im getting old. Sorry bout that.

Settings
60EX500

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


60ex500 new version

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

serialmike is offline  
post #288 of 770 Old 08-15-2010, 05:20 AM
Newbie
 
Nonexistinghero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonexistinghero View Post

Well, I went to a few stores to see some of the TV's in action. The Bravia I had my eye on seemed best, and the viewing angle was still good. I went to the side and the screen was easy to see, so it's a big improvement over my old TV. So then I went and ordered it online.

Gaming is excellent on it (just need a VGA cable for the 360 and component cable for the Wii for the optimal experience) and the normal television broadcasts are fine and big on it.

There's 1 problem though. The noise reduction setting won't save permanently. It has to be changed every time the channel is changed. Yeah, I already did a system update. So does anyone know how to save it? Kinda annoying having to switch it constantly.

I was ignored, so I'll quote my old post. I still haven't found a fix for this problem.

EDIT: TV I'm talking about is the KDL 40EX402.
Nonexistinghero is offline  
post #289 of 770 Old 08-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonexistinghero View Post

I was ignored, so I'll quote my old post. I still haven't found a fix for this problem.

EDIT: TV I'm talking about is the KDL 40EX402.

That seems weird, unless there is some bug with the 40EX402, noise reductions should save (either the MPGE one or the regular one. At least it does when it's connected to either component or hdmi or vga connections) Are you experiencing this when connected to what exactly?

You said when changing channels, so I'm assuming you have some HD ready cable/satellite/fios box connected to your TV through HDMI or component?

If you are just connected with no HD connection through the coaxial then that might be the problem. Or maybe you do have a bug with your TV. Not sure.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

fairchild99 is offline  
post #290 of 770 Old 08-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

For the first set of settings back the brightness down to 50 instead of 54, I just tested the settings, according to the avs 709 disc 54 is too high other then that, everything else looks really good.

My main settings were similar which I calibrated myself with but all in all the ones you posted aren't much different. The only difference is I had the enhancers both set to medium. and my color was 50 to 55. After tweaking the above settings i came up with:

Picture Mode: Custom
backlight 2
picture 90
brightness 50
color 48
hue 0
sharpness 5
color temp warm 2
noise reduction both off
cinemotion auto
advanced menu
contrast and black enhancers both off
gamma 0
live color off
white balance default

ambient light sensor off.

Just thought i'd post settings that registered within guidelines of a calibration disc to give people peace of mind that the settings are reliable

Oh and These settings are done on a sony 32EX400 in average room lighting. They seem to work well for both day and night viewing.

Hrm, I went ahead and tested the brightness using the AVSHD Calibration using the MP4-v1_3 while connected to my computer using standard VGA and I had different results with the brightness. Conditions were my usual blu-ray movie watching conditions which are in total darkness while sitting about 4-5 feet away from my set. But there in lies my confusion with how you are supposed to calibrate, I'll copy and paste my concerns which I asked about in another thread:

Quote:
Hey guys, I hope you don't mind answering my question real quick. I tried searching but I got conflicting responses from different sources.

I tried last night to calibrate at least my sets brightness to get the best possible black level with my other settings. What I would like to know is the following. When calibrating brightness, white level, sharpness, etc, at what distance should I actually be from my set. Meaning, some people say you should be at regular viewing distance with regular lighting conditions. Should I follow this or should I be getting super super close (by this I mean inches from the set) to the set to check if a certain pattern is still viewable or not? Should I be checking if said pattern is still viewable by shifting my viewing angle as well while being inches from the panel? Lots of times I thought my brightness value was at the lowest setting only to find if I shifted my angle to the left or right, and/or got inches from the set the pattern was viewable still.

But then that got me thinking, when you are using actual hardware designed for calibration, don't you actually stick the device right on your panel? Kind of the same effect as being super duper close to the set when trying to find patterns.

I used the MP4-v1.3 test signals from the AVS709 calibration thread. Thanks!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

fairchild99 is offline  
post #291 of 770 Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Hrm, I went ahead and tested the brightness using the AVSHD Calibration using the MP4-v1_3 while connected to my computer using standard VGA and I had different results with the brightness. Conditions were my usual blu-ray movie watching conditions which are in total darkness while sitting about 4-5 feet away from my set. But there in lies my confusion with how you are supposed to calibrate, I'll copy and paste my concerns which I asked about in another thread:

If you have an AVHCD compatible blu-ray player I'd use that to calibrate and not the computer It may give you different results especially if you are calibrating for blu-ray I'd use a blu-ray player to calibrate the set (stand alone if possible)
The basic about brightness and contrast with this disc are:
for brightness 16 and below should NOT flash on my set 32EX400 this is a brightness of 50 that registers this correct level picture contrast is set to 90 as this gives a good contrast of flashing of up to 234 and above, which is recommended. color and tin you need blue filters for or just use your eye to judge the color bars and skin tones. as far as sharpness keep it between 5 and Min, this is a safe range not to over sharpen.

Hope this helps for basic calibration tips. Brightness and contrast are the two most important then color saturation would be the second and then sharpness the third. Tint is usually set correctly.

If you're calibrating for a computer, I would strongly suggest calibration software that you would use to calibrate a monitor. Calibrating for blu-ray playback and calibrating as a monitor are going to give you different results. You need to pick your primary use and calibrate for that first, then if you have a secondary use. Calibrate that. Remember your settings are stored according to picture mode and in some cases based on input too.
MacinMan is offline  
post #292 of 770 Old 08-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Yeah, unfortunately I don't have that option. I tried using the Patched and the standard AVHCD's and neither work on my blu-ray player (Philips BDP3020/F7). So that's why I had to try calibrating using the MP4 files through my PC. Yeah, I know it prob won't be exact but that's all I have to work with. I have a Video Essentials DVD but I'm guessing that also won't give accurate results since it is not a true HD image like if I was using a blu-ray calibration disc.

All that aside, I didn't get an answer to my original question.

The gist again is, should I be sitting at my usual viewing distance (4-5 feet for blu-ray movies) when checking for the patterns or do I get up real close to the screen (inches away and check at different angles) to get a proper calibration. Again, it's confusing because people who use actual hardware devices to calibrate that get put right up on the screen seem to throw out the theory of calibrating at a usual viewing distance.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

fairchild99 is offline  
post #293 of 770 Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Member
 
RodHQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excuse the noobieness but, are all the settings posted on this page for Cinema mode?

If so can someone please give me some standard calibration settings for KDL-32EX400? I tried calibrating it out of the box, but I ended up making it look very bad. Some help would be greatly appreciated
RodHQ is offline  
post #294 of 770 Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I'm currently using the following settings on my Sony KDL-32EX400 while using HDMI for Cable HDTV (Optimum iO), and Blu-Ray (Philips BDP3020). The viewing environment is in a moderately dark room and a viewing distance of 5-7 feet (although these settings also work for daytime viewing for me). Calibration was done using an i1DisplayLT meter + ColorHCFR software and the AVS HD 709 disc. The light output provided is 40.5 ftL at 100 IRE.

* Picture Settings
o Picture Mode : Custom
o Backlight : 5
o Picture : 80
o Brightness : 51
o Color : 48
o Hue : G1
o Color Temperature : Warm 2
o Sharpness : Min
o Noise Reduction : Off
o MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
o CineMotion : Auto
o Ambient Sensor : Off

* Advanced Settings
o Adv Contrast Enhancer : Off
o Black Corrector : Off
o Gamma : -1
o Clear White : Off
o Live Color : Off
o White Balance :

R-gain -11
G-gain -9
B-gain -5
R-bias 0
G-bias +1
B-bias -4

* Screen Settings
o Wide Mode : Full
o Auto Wide : Off
o Display Area : Full Pixel

o Sound Mode : Custom
o Treble : +7
o Bass : +5
* Equalizer
o 100Hz = 4, 200Hz = 4, 500Hz = 3, 1kHz = 2, 2kHz = 3, 5kHz = 4, 10kHz = 4
o Balance : 0
o Surround : On
o Volume Offset : 0
o Steady Sound : Off


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

fairchild99 is offline  
post #295 of 770 Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Member
 
thegam3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey is the KDL32EX401U same as EX400? cause i cant seem to find much on EX401
thegam3 is offline  
post #296 of 770 Old 08-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Newbie
 
Nonexistinghero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

That seems weird, unless there is some bug with the 40EX402, noise reductions should save (either the MPGE one or the regular one. At least it does when it's connected to either component or hdmi or vga connections) Are you experiencing this when connected to what exactly?

You said when changing channels, so I'm assuming you have some HD ready cable/satellite/fios box connected to your TV through HDMI or component?

If you are just connected with no HD connection through the coaxial then that might be the problem. Or maybe you do have a bug with your TV. Not sure.

I'm only experiencing this for watching normal TV. I still just receive normal, analog broadcast. No HD. Netherlands runs a bit behind when it comes to HD channels. You'll get less than 10 for 10 more. For gaming and watching DVD's/Blu-rays I don't need noise reduction. It also stays on none there.

But for normal TV watching, it seems to automatically adjust it to the minimum the TV thinks that is needed. So sometimes the noise reduction is put on low automatically after I switch. And most of the time there's none at all. But with high-noise reduction there is a pretty noticable improvement compared to none and low.
Nonexistinghero is offline  
post #297 of 770 Old 08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonexistinghero View Post

I'm only experiencing this for watching normal TV. I still just receive normal, analog broadcast. No HD. Netherlands runs a bit behind when it comes to HD channels. You'll get less than 10 for €10 more. For gaming and watching DVD's/Blu-rays I don't need noise reduction. It also stays on none there.

But for normal TV watching, it seems to automatically adjust it to the minimum the TV thinks that is needed. So sometimes the noise reduction is put on low automatically after I switch. And most of the time there's none at all. But with high-noise reduction there is a pretty noticable improvement compared to none and low.

Yeah, maybe that's why it isn't working. Since you aren't connecting through a digital signal, (you are connecting through an RF antenna or something like that correct?) the TV doesn't hold that setting and maybe even tries to auto-adjust it. Pretty weird. Have you tried setting the setting to High or whatever you want it at, then locking the video settings through the Picture Adjustments Lock in the Setup tab. It might be different on your set, but maybe that option could do the trick even for the analog signals. If that doesn't work, All I can suggest is to check this link to make sure you are on the latest firmware:

http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/...&m=KDL-40EX402

And aside from that, try contacting Sony and see if this is a known issue or a limitation of that set. GL.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

fairchild99 is offline  
post #298 of 770 Old 08-20-2010, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Yeah, maybe that's why it isn't working. Since you aren't connecting through a digital signal, (you are connecting through an RF antenna or something like that correct?) the TV doesn't hold that setting and maybe even tries to auto-adjust it. Pretty weird. Have you tried setting the setting to High or whatever you want it at, then locking the video settings through the Picture Adjustments Lock in the Setup tab. It might be different on your set, but maybe that option could do the trick even for the analog signals. If that doesn't work, All I can suggest is to check this link to make sure you are on the latest firmware:

http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/...&m=KDL-40EX402

And aside from that, try contacting Sony and see if this is a known issue or a limitation of that set. GL.

I'm missing a few details here I think, but as far as I know analog broadcasts no longer exist here in the U.S. Everything My TV picks up through an antenna is digital. I think the only analog source left is basic cable without a box. Also if you're talking about noise reduction, my tv keeps the settings. Either adjust the settings via picture adjustments, or you can press tools on the remote wile watching the source and select noise reduction from the tools menu. KD-32EX400 here.
MacinMan is offline  
post #299 of 770 Old 08-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Newbie
 
Nonexistinghero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The solution worked fairchild99. Thanks! There was something in the menu similar to what you described. It was set on auto. It worked just fine after I put turned it off.
Nonexistinghero is offline  
post #300 of 770 Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonexistinghero View Post

The solution worked fairchild99. Thanks! There was something in the menu similar to what you described. It was set on auto. It worked just fine after I put turned it off.

Glad I could help.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

fairchild99 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl 40ex500 Series 40 Inch Lcd Tv Black , Sony Bravia Ex 400 Series 46 Inch Lcd Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl 55ex500 Series 55 Inch Lcd Tv Black , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 40ex500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off