Originally Posted by Mupi
1. The "Model" you have - SONY KDL46EX400
Okay, I've got some time and can go thru this myself. Same model BTW.
2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model - Looked MUCH better than any other TV around this size in the BB store, the price was right, and IT'S A SONY (I've never owned one before).
3. What you like best about your LCD - magnificent picture. I've never liked LG and the Sony's looked better than Panny and Samsung (Okay I know, same panel).
4. What you don't like about your LCD - The menus and the remote. The circular button arrangement takes some getting used to. But I HATE the menu arrangement. The most used functions require several button presses. Choosing MENU brings you to PHOTO MUSIC and such. You have to go up from the bottom to get to SETTINGS. TOOLS menu again up from the bottom to get to power saving, sleep timer, and speakers. Pressing MUTE sticks a MUTING label in the corner and turning the volume all the way down only goes to MIN not NONE... for that you have to go to the accursed TOOLS... for those times when you want to use an external amp not in the HDMI chain. The built-in speakers sound TERRIBLE.
5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had - "Feature" of being able to silence the TV speakers with a simple press of a button.
6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD - make the ambient sensor adjustable. When it's ON the picture is always too dark. I adjusted the backlight and brightness way up but then the black bands are too bright at the top and bottom. Instead we now have it turned off and adjust the picture using the power saving setting on the accursed TOOLS menu... power saving off for movies, low for TV and HIGH for late night TV.
7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD - I agree some of the features of the stand and frame are nice touches. Single screw hole in the base to keep the TV from toppling over - simple yet highly practical. But I wish there were cable hooks or "keepers" in the back. Even my old cheapie had that.
8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD - getting the picture brightness right. Also sometimes get HDMI handshake "flashing" when switching sources, but not necessarily a fault of the Sony (more likely the Denon AVR arguing with the cable box).
9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it Definitely Yes. I paid a little over right hundred last spring. In store prices have dropped a little bit and sometimes can be found on sale for maybe a hundred or so less but I feel I got my money's worth.
10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged - We have three different brand LCD's in the house. The Sony is the alpha dog. The Toshiba in the bedroom has a nice picture and good sound, and the Philips in the family room has more user friendly menus and remote. But the Sony is by far superior technology.