Official Sony KDL 32EX400 40EX400 46EX400 EX401 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 770 Old 04-25-2010, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just FYI: This TV supports 50hz signals even through the specs don't mention it nor is it reported in the EDID signal when using an HTPC (you have to add it manually). Not exactly a huge benefit in the US but still a nice feature for those people with some PAL material hanging around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 770 Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM

Just wanted to follow up post that I was not able to resolve the PC audio problem. After additional time with Sony support, there only solution was to use the VGA input rather than DVI-HDMI. No bueno... So I returned it and bought a Samsung LN32C530. Connected to it via DVI-HDMI on HDMI 1 and HDMI 1 Audio In, switched the input label to DVI, and it works beautifully - video and sound are great. Too bad there wasn't a similar fix for the Sony. Oh well. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions though. I appreciate it.
post #93 of 770 Old 05-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Just a quick question for some that might know better than I.

Picked up a Sony BDP-S470 Blu-ray player tonight and popped in Star Trek. Obviously lots of fairly dark scenes there, and I noticed for the first time tonight an area about 1/8" wide on the right side of the screen that's a little brighter than the rest of the screen. It appears to go down the entire length of the right side.

Is this normal? It doesn't appear to be on any of the other sides. It's not super noticeable, but now that I've seen it, I can't "unsee" it. Even in some brighter scenes I can spot it. But you don't frequently look at the right edge of the screen either though, so I'm not sure that it's worth the trouble to swap it out.

Thoughts? Will I be wasting my time swapping it out?
post #94 of 770 Old 05-08-2010, 07:14 AM

Hey what’s up! I just happen to come across this thread about the Sony EX400. It features 60hz and 140,000:1 contrast ratio with the Bravia Engine 2. I have this TV and it is by far the best LCD TV I have bought. The picture this TV produces has some serious blacks and awesome whites when compared to my other lcds, (Sharp, Philips, Vizio) on all inputs. I have my TV hooked up with 2 pc's one using an hdmi input and the other using the PC input, with the sound as well. I also have a VCR hooked up with composite, DVD player(HDMI), and a PlayStation 1(composite), 2(component), and 3(HDMI) hooked up to this TV, plus the cable input, which displays both analog and digital signals.

For each input you can personally customize the settings; right down to the sound for each. I do and don’t like this feature; mostly don’t because it’s annoying to re-set the same settings over and over again for each input. I have it set the way I like it for my set-up and prefer it that way across all inputs. The blacks are amazing. The screen can be split with half white and half black and still.....very crisp whites and black blacks. The panel is very dark itself but has no affect on the brightness of it. I peered inside the vents in the back and am able to see the whole panel sticker and all the numbers on it. My panel is made by S-LCD. I almost did not believe it when I first saw it; I’m used to the so-so display of blacks from most LCD panels. Of course while in HDMI mode it has the best looking picture, detail wise, than the other inputs but overall, the Sony makes all the inputs look great.

Even composite I was shocked by how it looked. I decided to bust out some old PSX Tomb Raider games and of course my new PS3 and PS2 decided to not play the games so I had no choice but to use the first playstation. It looked good for that input. I used to have the 42" Philips in my room and it has a 29,000:1 contrast ratio and it too makes composite input look good, but the Sony is much better. The Sony seems to smooth out the "boxy" look of regular playstation games giving you a much less harsh picture to look at.

Using HDMI Is fantastic. I swear I could see scales on reptiles while watching discovery channel. I have my desktop hooked up to this TV, as well as my computers monitor hooked up via DVI to the computer. I have it set to clone mode so both the monitor and TV display the same picture at 1080p. There is no ghosting, no uneven looking parts to the panel, nothing. The color is evenly distributed, there is not one bright or dark spot, it is very, very sharp through out the panel. I have no problems reading small text on the screen from across the room. I play allot of emulated games on my computer and the resolutions I throw at the TV it handles with ease; even ones it says are not supported. On that note, I have seen this EX400 have a hertz of 70 while using the computer; but it only does that during the boot-up sequence.

This TV has some cool features as well. It features PIP in some modes; which I think it is sort of, dumb but whatever. It has a 7 band EQ as well as bass and treble adjustments, volume limiter, and surround sound. This TV can produce some bass from its down facing speakers but, the panel rattles waaaaay to much. THAT is so annoying, its also annoying when TV manufactures place speakers facing down....It totally ruins the sound right there. Though It’s tolerable sound and very, very loud. The menu is quite vast and has allot of pic tweaks, like, cinemotion, noise reduction, mpeg noise reduction, color temp, backlight, ambient sensor, adv. contrast enhancer, black corrector, gamma, clear white, live color, and white balance. THAT’S ALOT! There is picture mode, witch is preset options, and I don’t recommend that. Upon pushing the menu button it gives you 4 areas to enter; photo, music, video, and settings. You can plug in a USB stick into the side of the TV and it will play your music files, your movie files, and show your pictures and has some built in pics as well. It also has analog audio out plus digital audio out. It has a total of 8 inputs, plus the USB input; 4 HDMI, 2 component (one can be turned into another composite input), 1 composite and 1 PC w/ audio in.

The TV looks quite nice, its all shiny black except for the bottom pewter colored bezel piece, it has 3 indicator lights, one for power, one for power off, and one for turning off the screen, but keeping the audio going. There is allot more to mention about the TV but this is already long enough. It has allot of really cool features. If you like electronics and gadgets you will like this TV. I'm very happy with it and I would recommend it to anyone.
post #95 of 770 Old 05-08-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock187 View Post

Just wanted to follow up post that I was not able to resolve the PC audio problem. After additional time with Sony support, there only solution was to use the VGA input rather than DVI-HDMI. No bueno... So I returned it and bought a Samsung LN32C530. Connected to it via DVI-HDMI on HDMI 1 and HDMI 1 Audio In, switched the input label to DVI, and it works beautifully - video and sound are great. Too bad there wasn't a similar fix for the Sony. Oh well. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions though. I appreciate it.

I am glad I read your posts. I have an Insignia 32 inch Plasma for bedroom that I bought two years ago (Plasmas that small are rare and BB doesnt carry them anymore). I could not get the composite audio jacks to work when using DVI to HDMI from my PC. (The Insignia has RCA composite instead of 3.5mm - separate jacks for HDMI and PC) PC works fine and is my workaround though a noticeable decrease in video quality compared to HDMI. I did not try connecting a pc until after owning the tv for a year and a half so I did not know about the defect.

I decided to take advantage of my extended warranty and they sent a service guy out to fix it - twice. They even replaced the board though I knew it was a design flaw in the tv and that would not resolve issue - tried to convince them not to waste $$$ sending out service. Finally they are gave me ok to bring back to BB and replace the tv. Since two years have gone buy I now can get a premium name brand LCD for the same price and I was strongly considering the 32" Sony EX400 - but also considering LG and Panasonic -720p in the low $400 price range (720p but at 32" don't think that matters.) I wish I had the option to keep my tv and get a courtesy store credit - even if for a lot less than it will cost them to replace my tv - that way I could apply to a 46" EX400 for my living room - but they have rules and that would be outside of them.

Nickio are you piping the audio through the hdmi cable or separate?
post #96 of 770 Old 05-09-2010, 05:48 AM

Whats going on! Yes Everything that I have hooked up to the Sony using HDMI, the Audio is ran through the HDMI cord; even the pc. With my PC I bought a 1 gig gddr 3 nvidia board and installed it to the computer. The card came with instructions and a really tiny/flimsy cord that connected two terminals from the Videocard board, to the DVI output, then It also came with a DVI to HDMI out which I use as well. I have a DVI 20" monitor, and my 40" sony is HDMI! Both display the same image. (1920x1080p)

I phiscally had to hook up that tiny cord myself. They are just assuming that not everyone will be using the audio through their tv's speakers. I did not know what was wrong at first until I looked in the manual and it expalined the use for that tiny cord. I'm very happy with the TV. Before I got this I had 2 Sanyos that I returned both because all the Hi-def inputs had problems; constant green flashing screens, or bars all arcoss the screen or no picsture at all. Even the sound would not work. I just happen to go to Sears looking for a Toshiba and they were out. I got this and could not have been happier. It was 2 inches smaller than I wanted but the picture it produced and how the blacks look and the rep of a Sony TV product...I could not resist.
post #97 of 770 Old 05-09-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickio View Post

Whats going on! Yes Everything that I have hooked up to the Sony using HDMI, the Audio is ran through the HDMI cord; even the pc. With my PC I bought a 1 gig gddr 3 nvidia board and installed it to the computer. The card came with instructions and a really tiny/flimsy cord that connected two terminals from the Videocard board, to the DVI output, then It also came with a DVI to HDMI out which I use as well. I have a DVI 20" monitor, and my 40" sony is HDMI! Both display the same image. (1920x1080p)

I phiscally had to hook up that tiny cord myself. They are just assuming that not everyone will be using the audio through their tv's speakers. I did not know what was wrong at first until I looked in the manual and it expalined the use for that tiny cord. I'm very happy with the TV. Before I got this I had 2 Sanyos that I returned both because all the Hi-def inputs had problems; constant green flashing screens, or bars all arcoss the screen or no picsture at all. Even the sound would not work. I just happen to go to Sears looking for a Toshiba and they were out. I got this and could not have been happier. It was 2 inches smaller than I wanted but the picture it produced and how the blacks look and the rep of a Sony TV product...I could not resist.

I tried to to do that originally too but gave up. The spdif cord that I was provided did not work. It had two different ends... one end would fit to either side but hte other would fit neither side - that is why I try to ran the audio separate - seemed easier.

Sorry if this going off topic.
post #98 of 770 Old 05-10-2010, 02:23 AM

Well I guess the important thing is that its now working for you. Did you install a video card in your computer or is the HDMI output built into the computer? And its cool if you go go off topic....who cares, its fun to read peoples stories.
post #99 of 770 Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 AM

I used a Zotac NVDIA 9500 graphics card... it came with a DVI to HDMI adapter but the included SPDIF cable I could not get to work. The end that fits into the Card also fits into the motherboard - too bad the cable doesnt have the same end on both sides. I think its easier to carry sound via HDMI using ATI boards.
post #100 of 770 Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM

I was dead set on getting the 32EX500 but the 40EX400 is the same price, so now I'm leaning that way.

Won't be watching a ton of sports down the road but I will dedicate a lot of time to the World Cup next month. Would love to hear from EX400 owners as to whether the 60hz leads to blurring during fast action or not. Thanks.
post #101 of 770 Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 PM

as for blurring....havent seen any yet and i watch the NBA playoffs on HD every day.....but i heard 120hz is nice for sports.....
post #102 of 770 Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 AM

I know you have the 32" model. I wonder if blurring would be more noticeable on the 40" model.

I remember your post about comparing the different Sony 32" models at BB. When you did that did you happen to catch the EX500 rocking sports in HD during the comparison?
post #103 of 770 Old 05-12-2010, 12:15 PM

unfortunately no it was Twilight the movie on bluray or something.....but if it help action scenes looked great on the EX500
post #104 of 770 Old 05-12-2010, 06:20 PM

That figures about the cord not working. I was able to connect it right to my computer, and the mobo itself has an ati chipset, but my graphix card is an Nvidia.

As for the bluring I have not yet noticed any yet, and I also play games on the set and it all appears perfectly clear. I love the contrast of this LCD! I do have the 40EX400 and am very glad I purchaced this set. What is the price you found it for if I can ask?
post #105 of 770 Old 05-13-2010, 02:23 AM

What do you guys think would be better the 40EX400 or this.

Samsung 42" Plasma.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9791253

I already own this Samsung but was interested in the 40EX400, let me know. Thanks
post #106 of 770 Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 AM

Illest, I checked out that Samsung TV and what not. Its a very nice set but it is plasma and only 720p. Me personally since I play games I would not be able to get a plasma. They suffer from screen burn in like from a status bar or something similar. I would be too pissed if that happened to my set. But Samsung are very good sets and have quite the reputation as well.
It has an awesome contrast ratio and a great responce time so for sports I bet that TV would be great. I would get the sony too if youare looking for another LCD, its not a 600htz like your tv is but suits my needs just fine. Another plus about LCDs are that they dont use as much power to operate as a plasma needs.
post #107 of 770 Old 05-13-2010, 06:20 AM

I think the Samsung has great reviews. Only issue is people have complained about a buzzing issue on a few of them. But most reviewers say there is no issue.

They supposedly say that it does a good job of eliminating image retention, so not sure burn in should be much of an issue. The Samsung is hard to find in stores - ironically the Insignia for $40 less is a rebranded Samsung without the pc input plus free extra year warranty - I would still go for the Samsung for $40 more but when you factor in $70 for delivery because you cant find it in stores, thats $110 more and 1 year less warranty.

Not sure 720p matters at all, especially on a 42" set unless you watch a lot of blue ray.

I started another thread about the Insignia a day or two ago. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5&goto=newpost
post #108 of 770 Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. The only thing that bugs me about the plasma is how grainy it can get when I sit close to it. From what I hear this is called pixel dithering and it can be very annoying since I never had this on my 32" LCD. I don't want to end up exchanging the Samsung for the Bravia and then regret it since these 2 tvs are extremely hard to find at BB. It looks like the Bravia is the best selling TV in it's size range.

Can someone please post some pictures of their EX400. Would like to see some gaming in there too, since I would be mainly using this TV for gaming.
post #109 of 770 Old 05-16-2010, 04:02 AM

Hey there. Hmmmm I dont believe I'm too familiar with pixel dithering or....what it looks like. but it does not sound like it would be fun. I can believe it about being a good seller this tv. I was not even thinking about purchasing a Sony set but they were out of the other two LCD sets that I wanted and they pointed out the Sony. The picture looked great and its how dark the blacks look as to what sold me on this tv. I will try and post pics up I have never done that before nor do I know how to do that. But I will try.
post #110 of 770 Old 05-16-2010, 07:02 AM

Yes I would appreciate the pictures but I think I might just end up staying with the Samsung Plasma since everyone has been telling me it was the better TV. I can't go back to motion blur/input lag especially when I game. I have not gotten any burn-in/IR. I will have to pay $300+ to find a LCD that's comparable.

The pixel dithering is only noticeable when I'm like really really close to the TV and I tend to sit close to the TV (2-3ft)when I'm playing games like MW2 but I've calibrated my set and sit further back now and I haven't noticed it since.

To post a picture click "manage attachments" and browse for your file on your computer or you can go here; http://imageshack.us/ upload and post the links.
post #111 of 770 Old 05-19-2010, 04:23 PM

post #112 of 770 Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 PM

Sony EX 400 Faint Lines:
When the camera pans up and down very fast, I can see some faint lines. But if it pans slowly, it's very hard to see. And it's very hard to see these lines in pure white or gray solid background scenes. I think it's very different from the Sharp banding problem ( I know how Sharp banding looks like becasue I have a Sharp 46" for 3 years). I wonder if all these kinds of CCFL LCD screens would exhibit some kind of faint lines when camera pans up and down too fast.
post #113 of 770 Old 05-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlee View Post

Sony EX 400 Faint Lines:
When the camera pans up and down very fast, I can see some faint lines. But if it pans slowly, it's very hard to see. And it's very hard to see these lines in pure white or gray solid background scenes. I think it's very different from the Sharp banding problem ( I know how Sharp banding looks like becasue I have a Sharp 46" for 3 years). I wonder if all these kinds of CCFL LCD screens would exhibit some kind of faint lines when camera pans up and down too fast.

Hi, I just uploaded some pics that compared the banding between EX400 with my previous Sharp 46". As you can see, the horizontal faint lines of EX400 is much less visible and more tolerable compared with the horrible banding of the Sharp.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #114 of 770 Old 05-22-2010, 01:15 PM

Did anyone test the inputlag of this lcd tv?

I also like to know what the perfect setting is for movies and the most important for me, the gaming settings. I know that u can go to the service menu, maybe someone tried it out, what u can change there to make it look better?
post #115 of 770 Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 PM

Hi all, I have been a long time reader (thanks for all the great posts!), and this is my first post on AVS...

I have a good audio DAC which does not do Dolby Digital or any kind of 5.1 digital protocol, and that I would like to use it to listen to QAM digital cable channels. These are apparently all in Dolby Digital. I am trying to understand if I can configure my Sony EX401 to downmix its digital audio out for these channels to a traditional stereo PCM signal. Any suggestions? Before you ask, I have no cable box, and at this point I'd rather not use one.
post #116 of 770 Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 AM

Hi I was just looking into buying a 32" tv for use as a pc monitor mostly surf the web and playing games. Would the Sony 32ex400 be a good choice for this? If not then what would be the best?
post #117 of 770 Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Hey, any guys here know if the 40EX400 would have the same problem with this post?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50...r-monitor-hdmi

Basically the problem is "The monitor is reporting that it is displaying a 1080p signal at 60Hz.So the video card is correctly identifying the monitor but it is not sending out a clean signal somehow. "
post #118 of 770 Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 PM

Anyone have some calibration settings for this set.I got the 40EX400 for a bedroom and the out of the box settings aren't bad but I'm sure there is something better.
post #119 of 770 Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 PM

I wish someone would post some pictures and also let us know about gaming input lag..
post #120 of 770 Old 05-29-2010, 07:13 AM

I just got my 40EX402 and love it sofar except for one thing: When I connect my laptop through HDMI and set the resolution on 1920*1080 the image is too small and looks bad. The solution would be to turn off over scan or enable 1:1 pixelmapping but I can't find it anywhere in the TV menus.

Any ideas?
I like this TV a lot but if it doesn't support 1:1 pixelmapping I will return it.

Edit: this problem is solved now. 1:1 pixelmapping had to be enabled in a menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLEST x BEAST View Post

I wish someone would post some pictures and also let us know about gaming input lag..

40EX402 with DVB-T signal.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl 40ex500 Series 40 Inch Lcd Tv Black , Sony Bravia Ex 400 Series 46 Inch Lcd Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl 55ex500 Series 55 Inch Lcd Tv Black , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page