AVS Forum banner
248K views 771 replies 166 participants last post by  pointthinker 
#1 ·
#104 ·
That figures about the cord not working. I was able to connect it right to my computer, and the mobo itself has an ati chipset, but my graphix card is an Nvidia.

As for the bluring I have not yet noticed any yet, and I also play games on the set and it all appears perfectly clear. I love the contrast of this LCD! I do have the 40EX400 and am very glad I purchaced this set. What is the price you found it for if I can ask?

#106 ·
Illest, I checked out that Samsung TV and what not. Its a very nice set but it is plasma and only 720p. Me personally since I play games I would not be able to get a plasma. They suffer from screen burn in like from a status bar or something similar. I would be too pissed if that happened to my set. But Samsung are very good sets and have quite the reputation as well.

It has an awesome contrast ratio and a great responce time so for sports I bet that TV would be great. I would get the sony too if youare looking for another LCD, its not a 600htz like your tv is but suits my needs just fine. Another plus about LCDs are that they dont use as much power to operate as a plasma needs.

#107 ·
I think the Samsung has great reviews. Only issue is people have complained about a buzzing issue on a few of them. But most reviewers say there is no issue.

They supposedly say that it does a good job of eliminating image retention, so not sure burn in should be much of an issue. The Samsung is hard to find in stores - ironically the Insignia for $40 less is a rebranded Samsung without the pc input plus free extra year warranty - I would still go for the Samsung for $40 more but when you factor in $70 for delivery because you cant find it in stores, thats $110 more and 1 year less warranty.

Not sure 720p matters at all, especially on a 42" set unless you watch a lot of blue ray.

I started another thread about the Insignia a day or two ago. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5&goto=newpost

#108 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. The only thing that bugs me about the plasma is how grainy it can get when I sit close to it. From what I hear this is called pixel dithering and it can be very annoying since I never had this on my 32" LCD. I don't want to end up exchanging the Samsung for the Bravia and then regret it since these 2 tvs are extremely hard to find at BB. It looks like the Bravia is the best selling TV in it's size range.

Can someone please post some pictures of their EX400. Would like to see some gaming in there too, since I would be mainly using this TV for gaming.

#109 ·
Hey there. Hmmmm I dont believe I'm too familiar with pixel dithering or....what it looks like. but it does not sound like it would be fun. I can believe it about being a good seller this tv. I was not even thinking about purchasing a Sony set but they were out of the other two LCD sets that I wanted and they pointed out the Sony. The picture looked great and its how dark the blacks look as to what sold me on this tv. I will try and post pics up I have never done that before nor do I know how to do that. But I will try.

#110 ·
Yes I would appreciate the pictures but I think I might just end up staying with the Samsung Plasma since everyone has been telling me it was the better TV. I can't go back to motion blur/input lag especially when I game. I have not gotten any burn-in/IR. I will have to pay $300+ to find a LCD that's comparable.

The pixel dithering is only noticeable when I'm like really really close to the TV and I tend to sit close to the TV (2-3ft)when I'm playing games like MW2 but I've calibrated my set and sit further back now and I haven't noticed it since.

To post a picture click "manage attachments" and browse for your file on your computer or you can go here; http://imageshack.us/ upload and post the links.

#112 ·
Sony EX 400 Faint Lines:

When the camera pans up and down very fast, I can see some faint lines. But if it pans slowly, it's very hard to see. And it's very hard to see these lines in pure white or gray solid background scenes. I think it's very different from the Sharp banding problem ( I know how Sharp banding looks like becasue I have a Sharp 46" for 3 years). I wonder if all these kinds of CCFL LCD screens would exhibit some kind of faint lines when camera pans up and down too fast.

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlee /forum/post/18660045

Sony EX 400 Faint Lines:

When the camera pans up and down very fast, I can see some faint lines. But if it pans slowly, it's very hard to see. And it's very hard to see these lines in pure white or gray solid background scenes. I think it's very different from the Sharp banding problem ( I know how Sharp banding looks like becasue I have a Sharp 46" for 3 years). I wonder if all these kinds of CCFL LCD screens would exhibit some kind of faint lines when camera pans up and down too fast.

Hi, I just uploaded some pics that compared the banding between EX400 with my previous Sharp 46". As you can see, the horizontal faint lines of EX400 is much less visible and more tolerable compared with the horrible banding of the Sharp.

#114 ·
Did anyone test the inputlag of this lcd tv?

I also like to know what the perfect setting is for movies and the most important for me, the gaming settings. I know that u can go to the service menu, maybe someone tried it out, what u can change there to make it look better?

#115 ·
Hi all, I have been a long time reader (thanks for all the great posts!), and this is my first post on AVS...

I have a good audio DAC which does not do Dolby Digital or any kind of 5.1 digital protocol, and that I would like to use it to listen to QAM digital cable channels. These are apparently all in Dolby Digital. I am trying to understand if I can configure my Sony EX401 to downmix its digital audio out for these channels to a traditional stereo PCM signal. Any suggestions? Before you ask, I have no cable box, and at this point I'd rather not use one.

#120 ·
I just got my 40EX402 and love it sofar except for one thing: When I connect my laptop through HDMI and set the resolution on 1920*1080 the image is too small and looks bad. The solution would be to turn off over scan or enable 1:1 pixelmapping but I can't find it anywhere in the TV menus.

Any ideas?

I like this TV a lot but if it doesn't support 1:1 pixelmapping I will return it.

Edit: this problem is solved now. 1:1 pixelmapping had to be enabled in a menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLEST x BEAST /forum/post/18704282

I wish someone would post some pictures and also let us know about gaming input lag..

40EX402 with DVB-T signal.

#123 ·
1920x1080p via a VGA cable looks great on my 40ex400, as does 1080p via HDMI from the BD player. The VGA output from my laptop automatically detects the TV's resolution and sends 1920x1080 (laptop's monitor is 1280x800).

To enable 1:1 pixel mapping, you go into "Screen" => "Display Area" => "Full Pixel". Note, the "Full Pixel" option will only be available for 1080i/p signals.

#126 ·
I bought 46ex402, and i see u use vga connection, problem is everyone is FORCED to use it, cause hdmi only accepts up to 1280x1024. I wrote it here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18709845 , vga would be ok if it doesnt blurres image a bit, but it does, its not digital connection, its analog, thats what problem is.

I would not recomend this tv to anyone who wants to connect fullhd devices on it, cause hdmi wont accept it and will upscale image. Be aware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.