AVS Forum banner
248K views 771 replies 166 participants last post by  pointthinker 
#1 ·
#127 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlek /forum/post/18709852

I bought 46ex402, and i see u use vga connection, problem is everyone is FORCED to use it, cause hdmi only accepts up to 1280x1024.

I would not recomend this tv to anyone who wants to connect fullhd devices on it, cause hdmi wont accept it and will upscale image. Be aware.

The U.S. version EX400/401 does accept HDTV resolutions from a PC using DVI/HDMI. (720p and 1080i/p.)

#128 ·
Hm, u are right, http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666077652 it says it has 7 hmdi inputs, and 2 of them are for hd for monitor. WHY would they sell 402 without it, i am so disapointed in sony, will never buy tv from them again.

edit: ups its not 7hmdi, its 7hd intputs, its same as in model 402? It says 15 pin is for use as monitor, not hdmi. Can someone look in manual what it says, in mine it says its fullhd for vga input, and up to 1280x1024 for hmdi input. Different in 400?

I mean, i can connect fullhd, but id dont give 1:1 pixel mapping, it scales it.

edit:

New firmware showed up today, m8.514, nothing improved regarding this hdmi input.

#131 ·
@Vantage72

Thx for your reply first, but i think you didnt understood me, i CAN connect pc with tv over hdmi and vga with full hd resolution, just problem is, in vga it is a bit blurry as its analog, and in hdmi, u get picture but its not 1:1 pixel, u cant avoid tv processing image, as u can with samsung with just renaming hdmi label to PC DVI , sony didnt let us choose do we want or not image processing.

So yes, fullhd works but not working right as pc monitor as it dont give 1:1 pixel mapping.

#133 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlek /forum/post/18712938

@Vantage72

Thx for your reply first, but i think you didnt understood me, i CAN connect pc with tv over hdmi and vga with full hd resolution, just problem is, in vga it is a bit blurry as its analog, and in hdmi, u get picture but its not 1:1 pixel, u cant avoid tv processing image, as u can with samsung with just renaming hdmi label to PC DVI , sony didnt let us choose do we want or not image processing.

So yes, fullhd works but not working right as pc monitor as it dont give 1:1 pixel mapping.

I have perfect 1:1 pixelmapping on my 40EX402. I've compared it with Samsung LE40B530. Sony wins.

If you want I can post a picture.

#135 ·
When I first plugged my TV into my HTPC I had to adjust the PC settings to fill the screen. The resolution was set right, but in the Intel graphics control panel there was another setting for horizontal and vertical scaling that I had to adjust to get the screen filled.

#136 ·
For those interested in gaming: several users on a dutch forum say the 40EX402 is perfect for gaming without any input lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackboot /forum/post/18715061

When I first plugged my TV into my HTPC I had to adjust the PC settings to fill the screen. The resolution was set right, but in the Intel graphics control panel there was another setting for horizontal and vertical scaling that I had to adjust to get the screen filled.

If you use scaling there's no 1:1 pixelmapping. What happens if you disable scaling? is the image too large or too small?

If the image is too large you need to enable the high resolution setting on your TV.

#137 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage72 /forum/post/18715393

If you use scaling there's no 1:1 pixelmapping. What happens if you disable scaling? is the image too large or too small?

If the image is too large you need to enable the high resolution setting on your TV.

In the Intel control panel I am forced to choose what Horizontal and Vertical scaling settings I want, with values for each from 0 to 100. In other words, I cannot "disable" scaling. I think this setting is to adjust overscan if the TV does not allow to do so directly.

If I leave the setting for both Horz and Vert scaling to 0 then the image does not fill the screen (too small). If I set them both to 100 then the image fills the screen.

After reading yours and Beepers's posts I am a bit confused if I'm doing this right, but I'm pretty sure I am! I have both set to 100 and the image fills the screen. It looks to me like the picture is sharp and I have 1:1 pixel mapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper /forum/post/18715712

On the U.S. EX400/401 models, when using DVI/HDMI and PC HDTV resolutions, for 1:1 pixel the setting is in the TV settings menu.

Screen Settings Menu/Display area - then select +1 (Displays pictures in their original size.)

Do not normally use the full pixel selection in that menu. (Displays pictures in their original size when parts of the picture are cut off)

(available depending on the TV model).

I don't have a +1 option
Only Full Pixel, Normal, and -1. I have it set to Full Pixel.

#138 ·
If you're happy with the picture that's what counts.

At first I had the same, the picture was too small. When I used scaling I did not get a sharp picture. I had to reinstall my video drivers, then connect the TV. Then the image was too large. Then I changed one menu setting in image settings on the TV, and the image was displayed at the right size.

#139 ·

Quote:
On the U.S. EX400/401 models, when using DVI/HDMI and PC HDTV resolutions, for 1:1 pixel the setting is in the TV settings menu.

Screen Settings Menu/Display area - then select +1

Hm, so 402 models dont have this +1 option, and 400 have, strange. Guess is just firmware issue, all they need to do is let us choose +1 setting, but guess that wont happen ever.

Sad this small things makes sony looks so bad. Maybe we can put 400 firwmare on 402 but i wont play with so expensive tv like that cause sony makes mistakes.

I have +1 option only on analog and digital broadcast, on hdmi only full pixel and normal. I just dont get diference between full pixel and +1, both should have pixel perfect. I am just not so sure that +1 removes processing of image as doesnt full pixel.

#141 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlek /forum/post/18719067

Hm, so 402 models dont have this +1 option, and 400 have, strange. Guess is just firmware issue, all they need to do is let us choose +1 setting, but guess that wont happen ever.

Sad this small things makes sony looks so bad. Maybe we can put 400 firwmare on 402 but i wont play with so expensive tv like that cause sony makes mistakes.

My EX500 does not have the +1 setting. My guess is that the firmware for 400/401/402/500/501 etc is the exact same.

#142 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper /forum/post/18715712

Screen Settings Menu/Display area - then select +1 (Displays pictures in their original size.)

Do not normally use the full pixel selection in that menu. (Displays pictures in their original size when parts of the picture are cut off)

(available depending on the TV model).

It's very easy to see that Full Pixel is the only mode that gives a 1:1 pixel map for 1920x1080 signals.

#143 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT917 /forum/post/18719872

It's very easy to see that Full Pixel is the only mode that gives a 1:1 pixel map for 1920x1080 signals.

This is the what the EX400/401/500/501 owner's manual states; (page 35)

Full Pixel Displays pictures in their original size when parts of the picture are cut off (available depending on the TV model).
+1 Displays pictures in their original size.
Normal Displays pictures in their recommended size.
-1 Enlarges the picture so that the edges are outside the visible display area.

As others have pointed out in recent posts, the +1 selection may not be available when using DVI/HDMI as a PC input.

From memory, I thought that I was using +1 for the PC input, but I was actually using +1 to get ATSC broadcasts to 1:1 pixel.

My EX400 had 1:1 pixel without any problem when my PC graphics card (NVIDIA) was set to 1080i or 1080p. (no scaling on the card.)

#144 ·
So I decided to return my Samsung plasma for this just to try it out since I was planning on exchanging the Samsung for another but they were not in stock so I bought the 40" EX400 TV and let me tell you I am not impressed at all. Like someone mention here earlier I too notice faint lines across the screen.. -___- I also have what it looks like is a dark smudge on the screen, its very hard to notice and I doubt anyone would even be able to notice it but I notice it so it matters. There isn't any noticeable input lag but noticeable motion blur when It comes to gaming. SD channels look horrible on this set and HD isn't that much different. It could be the fact that my eyes got used to plasma since I've always used LCD and now that I've owed a plasma I notice all the cons of LCDS. It's a decent LCD but I think it should be priced a lot lower because for the money you could save up a little more to get something much better.

#145 ·
I've only had my set for less than 2 weeks, and don't have that many hours on it yet, but here are the settings I'm using, based upon calibrating with the DVE HD disc via HDMI:

Backlight - Min

Picture - 94

Brightness - 52

Color - 48 (default 50 seemed good w/ the DVE filters, but I prefer slightly less color saturation)

Hue - 0

Color Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - Min (didn't notice any artifacts up to about 10, but didn't notice any problems below it, so I just went with Min)

Noise Reduction and everything else - Off

I'll check the settings after I have more hours on it. I like the set so far. It's much better than the Toshiba I upgraded from. Of course, it doesn't compare to the Panasonic plasma I have upstairs, but LCDs certainly have improved.

I do notice problems with off-axis viewing (say from about 20 degrees laterally, or when I stand up from about 5 feet away).

Doug

#146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper /forum/post/18720037

This is the what the EX400/401/500/501 owner's manual states; (page 35)

Full Pixel Displays pictures in their original size when parts of the picture are cut off (available depending on the TV model).
+1 Displays pictures in their original size.
Normal Displays pictures in their recommended size.
-1 Enlarges the picture so that the edges are outside the visible display area.

As others have pointed out in recent posts, the +1 selection may not be available when using DVI/HDMI as a PC input.

From memory, I thought that I was using +1 for the PC input, but I was actually using +1 to get ATSC broadcasts to 1:1 pixel.

My EX400 had 1:1 pixel without any problem when my PC graphics card (NVIDIA) was set to 720p, 1080i or 1080p. (no scaling on the card.)

Have you actually used each mode, and observed the differences?

Again, any other screen size mode other than Full Pixel on HDMI 1080i/p signals clearly overscan the image. With VGA and a 1920x1080 signal, the available size modes make no change whatsoever in the overscan, and is always 1:1 mapped.

#148 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT917 /forum/post/18724394

Have you actually used each mode, and observed the differences?

Yes, I have personally used a KDL 32EX400 connected to a PC. Have you?

You must have missed reading these parts of my prior post.
"the +1 selection may not be available when using DVI/HDMI .... input."

"I was actually using +1 to get ATSC broadcasts to 1:1 pixel."

In other words, I was using the internal tuner with +1, not HDMI. I made that perfectly clear.

The owner's manual is rather weak in fully explaining some of the features.

To explain it further;

For ATSC broadcast, the "normal" setting will give the picture size that is set by the source type. AKA "set by program".

SD & HD will generally over scan.

The "+1" setting will result in either 1:1 pixel or full screen height for SD & HD. No over scan.

The "-1" setting will result in over scan for SD & HD.

When using a PC connected via DVI/HDMI, the Full pixel setting will result in 1:1 pixel.

I didn't have a HDMI device such as a BDP connected, so I can't answer which picture size settings are available in that situation,

or when using HD resolutions via component.

#149 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT917 /forum/post/18724409

Do you know of a TV with better overall performance at the same price?

These two would be a lot better.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...skuId=9791253#

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9783506

I exchanged it for the 42" Samsung Plasma and I couldn't be happier. I went through 4 TVs in the past month and this was hands down the best I could find for the price for a bedroom set. I don't think I will ever go back to a LCD, it will have to be one of those new LED-LCD that cost over 2K because the PQ on those sets are gorgeous. Oh I did like the way the bravia looked as a computer monitor in 1080p.

#150 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper /forum/post/18724938

Yes, I have personally used a KDL 32EX400 connected to a PC. Have you?

You must have missed reading these parts of my prior post.
"the +1 selection may not be available when using DVI/HDMI .... input."

"I was actually using +1 to get ATSC broadcasts to 1:1 pixel."

In other words, I was using the internal tuner with +1, not HDMI. I made that perfectly clear.

The owner's manual is rather weak in fully explaining some of the features.

To explain it further;

For ATSC broadcast, the "normal" setting will give the picture size that is set by the source type. AKA "set by program".

SD & HD will generally over scan.

The "+1" setting will result in 1:1 pixel for SD & HD. No over scan. "Original size" as the manual states.

The "-1" setting will result in over scan for SD & HD.

When using a PC connected via DVI/HDMI, the Full pixel setting will result in 1:1 pixel.

I didn't have a HDMI device such as a BDP connected, so I can't answer which picture size settings are available in that situation,

or when using HD resolutions via component.

I have a KDL40EX400. I receive HD via a roof top antenna, a Sony BDP-S370, and connect my Dell laptop with a VGA cable.

On 1080i broadcasts, there are 3 options: Normal, Full Pixel, and -1. Full Pixel is the only setting that does not result in overscan and allows 1:1 pixel mapping. On 720p and 480i broadcasts, the +1 option is available (along with Normal and -1) and does decrease/eliminate overscan, but obviously on 720p and 480 broadcasts by definition you cannot have 1:1 pixel mapping for those signals on a 1080p display.

On HDMI and 1080i/p signals, again the only setting that does not result in overscanning is Full Pixel and allows 1:1 mapping.

On VGA, my laptop automatically adjusts the resolution to 1920x1080p, and any screen setting results in no overscanning. If you have +1 as an option most likely your computer isn't outputting 1920x1080, so the image is compromised regardless.

I have not made a component video connection, so cannot comment about it.

I suggest using the Display button on the remote to confirm the input resolution as that will tell you if 1:1 mapping is possible. Also, as you have discovered the manual does not do an adequate job of explaning things, so I wouldn't be so quick to quote from it in the future.

#151 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.