Fixing my Samsung LN46A550PF3 - LCD Controller board replacement from other TV model? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I am trying to replace the LCD controller on my TV, since it seems to have a problem very similar to the ones described on a fixya.com page (search for "no_picture_samsung_ln_s4692d_46in_hdtv" on google).

Basically the screen has stopped showing the picture (can't even see menu / setup stuff), but the audio still works just fine and the TV turns on and off fine. The screen also changes lighting slightly when turning on and off, so I suspect the backlight is still just fine.

I have found that the LCD controller board on my TV has a part number of V520H1-C06.

When I look up that part number on e-bay I see a wide range of results, where the boards have been taken out of different TVs : Search for "V520H1-C06" on ebay.

My question is around whether I need to purchase one that came from the exact same model as my TV, or if I can use one from a similar model?

For example, there is one that was taken from an LN46A500 Samsung model which is pretty similar. That board is going for $29.99.

The one board for sale that came from an LN46A550 Samsung model is 69.99. Is there some difference in the way that the board is programmed (firmware / ROM flash ?) that would cause it not to work if I put one in from a different model TV?

This listing seemed to indicate that could be a problem, but none of the others did: Search for "SAMSUNG-LN-T4061F-LCD-CONTROLLER-V520H1-C06" on ebay.

Appreciate any help understanding this. Hoping to be able to fix this on my own for a reasonable price since the TV is just out of warranty (only 18 months old!).

Thanks,
Kyle

p.s. It won't let me put in links on this post since I'm a new member, but please let me know if you'd like the direct links to either the ebay posts or the fixya page describing the same kind of issue I'm seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

The proper way is to obtain the Service Manual(s) and then see what models share the same PCB modules. There might be some other differences even if two different TV models share the exact same PCB - because of “marketing” differences; larger models may have better motion interpolation firmware.... This basically means that smaller sizes LCD TV’s from the same series MAY be purposefully crippled by firmware implementation – to ensure sales of larger panels.

Boky
Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

The main difference that I see between the LN46A500 and LN46A550 is a difference in dynamic contrast ratio (20,000:1 on the 500, and 30,000:1 on my550). Do you think that the quality would be affected if I put in the V520H1-C06 board from a LN46A500 TV into my 550? Would that be something that would require a different firmware / programming on that LCD control board ?

I'm hesitant to buy the board from the 500 if it will cause quality issues (or not even work at all).

Thanks again for any help!
Kyle
Old 04-03-2010, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Impossible to say without service manual.

Boky