65 - inch or larger LCD/LED TV Options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-04-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

Can anyone tell me what options do I have for a 65 inch or larger LCD/LED TV ?

I have a large room which makes my current 52-inch TV seems like an portable TV. I need something with a very large screen to fit my room. I am trying to make kind of a mini-theater.

Many companies seem to max out at 55-inch. Can anyone let me know what are my options for something 65-inch or larger?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
72 480Hz SPS TruLED Full HD3DHDTV with 480 zones of Smart Dimming Technology, built in wireless HDMI and VIZIO INTERNET APPS (VIA) with High Definition wireless networking is VIZIO's largest HDTV in 2010 Collection
post #3 of 11 Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 PM

when you say lcd/led do you mean either lcd or led or do you mean just led? sharp xs1 65" led backlit but its 10k.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
not many options

in what is available right now you have 2 models and both use the same Sharp 65" Panel

Sony 65W5100 and the Sharp LC-65E77UM

both are CCFL back lit models and have decent PQ but not as good as some other smaller LCD's

Vizio as well as some other 3rd tier brands are coming out with LCD's using a new 72" panel, i forget who's making the panel but i know it was some not so well known Chinese manufacture so who knows how good it will perform as these TV's have yet to see the light of day except at trade shows

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #5 of 11 Old 04-05-2010, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
68 inch LEDs from Sharp announced to arrive next month. See
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1214048
post #6 of 11 Old 04-05-2010, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What surprises me is the lack of big TVs with at least future 3D capability. At this point if you're buying a huge TV without 3D forward compatibility you're basically putting money in the toilet and flushing it.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Depends on how enthused you are about the current state of 3D. Myself, I don't enjoy getting headaches just to experience image depth. I won't be excited about 3DTV until you can see it without glasses, and that requires technology not currently offered.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-05-2010, 04:25 AM

The top options in the extra-large category seem to be:
Sharp's 68"
Vizio's 72"
Samsung's 65" (although a rumor has that it's been pulled?)
LG's 72"

Of those, the LG is likely to be the best combo or size and quality - they routinely earned high praise for last year's lh90 and lxh90. Samsung is likely good quality, but some comments on the c8000 imply that this model may have it's limits. Vizio has lots of praise for pricing, but sparse comments on the actual PQ that are independent of price. Sharp makes panels for Sony, but some feel the quad pixel has no inherent value and it's feature set is not as rich as the other models. Of these, I believe only the Sharp does not have 3D, and all are out around the summer (plus or minus a month or two).

Of these, I'm most excited about the LG - great reputation for PQ and great features lead me to suspect it's the winner on this list.

Cheers,
n...
post #9 of 11 Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The Sharp model will likely use the new UV2A panels. It will likely have by far the best IQ of the lot.

LG uses some form of S-IPS for their panels so it should have excellent IQ, though the blacks won't be very deep. This is characteristic of S-IPS compared with Samsung's S-PVA panels or probably Sharp's UV2A panels.

The Vizio is reportedly going to use a panel from AUO. The IQ will probably be garbage, but Vizio will price it a thousand dollars less than their competitors and sell a ton, because Americans don't understand or care about IQ, they just care about how good a deal they got at Walmart.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

What surprises me is the lack of big TVs with at least future 3D capability. At this point if you're buying a huge TV without 3D forward compatibility you're basically putting money in the toilet and flushing it.

Not necessarily. It depends on how you look at it at this point in the game. So far, 3D Blu-ray is the only 3D content that will be at full HD resolution. Broadcast 3D TV will be at lower resolution, nearly half, and will look worse on a larger screen.

At this point, I'm gonna stay on the sidelines and wait to see what the industry does with all the the variables that need to brought together perfectly to enjoy a true 3D *HD* experience.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

The Sharp model will likely use the new UV2A panels. It will likely have by far the best IQ of the lot.

LG uses some form of S-IPS for their panels so it should have excellent IQ, though the blacks won't be very deep. This is characteristic of S-IPS compared with Samsung's S-PVA panels or probably Sharp's UV2A panels.

The Vizio is reportedly going to use a panel from AUO. The IQ will probably be garbage, but Vizio will price it a thousand dollars less than their competitors and sell a ton, because Americans don't understand or care about IQ, they just care about how good a deal they got at Walmart.

LG's 72" is not an S-IPS, they still only produce S-IPS panel's up to 47"

the 72" is highly likely to be the same 72" in the Vizio TV made by some Chinese manufacturer and i would not have high hope for its performance.

the Sharp 68" would be the best bet for good picture quality in a large LCD screen otherwise forget about large scale LCD and get a Plasma or a RPTV/Projection setup for large screen sizes depending on your viewing environments/personal tastes

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page