Got My LG 42LD520 Yesterday - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, it does say 720p, but you're right, it should be same quality as the VIZIO. I suspected that maybe the overall screen brightness and contrast of the LED was hiding some of the distortion. As I mentioned, the PS3 looks great, and many of those games are 720p. The only other difference is that now I'm running HDMI through my Denon Receiver for all sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 PM

Hey guys,

I was just curious if anyone really plays with the color managenent system? Settings of Color...either you leave it at a positive setting, negative, or neutrual. Red, green, blue, etc. Does it add clarity to the picture over? Any hints to use this option to maximize this Tv's performance.

Also, Ive come to love this TV more and more each day and I believe its DEFINATELY the best tv you can get for the price range. My dad has a 55" sony (not sure of the details but its 1080p 120hz) and I believe this tv looks better than the sony.. Its also almost 2grand..when I bought this tv for a little over 7.. Again, VERY HAPPY with this Tv!
post #33 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 03:11 PM

Does anyone else have this setting put on high instead of off?

Ive realized it helps with "speckles" in the background.. A fellow memember posted his setting and ive used them to a T but this feature is the only thing I did different.

Backlight 70
Contrast 90
Brightness 40
H/V sharpness 50
Color 60

Expert Controls:

Dynamic Contrast Low
Noise reduction High
Digital Noise reduction High
Black level High
Color Gamut Standard
Edge enhancer off
Color temp. Medium (though I like Cool as well at times)

Idk guys..this Tv is amazing. Love it but the reason for this post is for Noise reduction and what you guys think about the opition. I think it makes the picture better..Let me know your thoughts. Id appreciate it

-Tim
post #34 of 46 Old 10-05-2010, 07:34 PM

just a quick fyi to owners of an ld520 series, this fv CAN play hd divx videos off of a usb stick.
LG probably wants you to pay more for this + licensing fees etc but no worries after some googling lg hdtv hacks i came upon this web site: lgusb.wikispaces.com
which gives directions on enabling usb video on some european model lg tvs, but upon closer inspection some people reported getting this feature to work on ld520's from america so i figured what the heck. all you need is a universal remote that accepts 5 digit codes (i used a vizio television remote programming the dvd setting).
Enter the code 10856 into the universal remote using whatever procedure yours uses.
Press the number 2 and a dialog should appear asking for a password
enter the password using the lg television remote
my password was 0413 but some are 0000, one of those two should work.
Next goto Tool Option3 on the menu, then down to divx and set it to hd. press exit and turn the tv on and off. Voila you can now play hd divx movies off a thumb drive on this tv. Id not recommend playing with other settings as it is possible to brick the television. This really added a lot of value to this television set in my book.
post #35 of 46 Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 PM

I have had this tv a month now. Extemely happy with viewing sports and bluray movies. Light PC gaming has been fine with a nvidia 250 vid card. I hear about people loving a tv at first then finding faults as they own it. Not here. It seems the PQ has only gotten better the more hours its been on. Certainly not the best lcd you can buy but a solid mid level tv.
post #36 of 46 Old 11-07-2010, 08:45 AM

I recently came up on this TV since it was on sale for half a G. For the money, its EXCELLENT. I do see some jitter and a bit of ghosting but this is because I was actually looking for it. Once immersed into the movie I didnt notice anything that would make me take this TV back. This is a temporary upgrade from my 37 inch LG until escrow closes on my new home. That is all.
post #37 of 46 Old 11-12-2010, 06:01 AM

I recently got one of these and having a bit of trouble with it. Movies look awesome, RGB input looks great. For the most part i'm playing 360 and most of my games look pretty good, the only ones i'm having trouble with so far is fable 3 and final fantasy 13. When rotating the character there is a really noticeable jerkiness to the background. I thought it would be more smooth or fluid. Am I expecting too much or are there some settings that I should look at changing?

I have tried the trumotion turned all the way up and also turned off all together.

Currently i'm hooked up via HDMI using 1080p from my xbox. I wanted to see if any of you had any suggestions because i'm considering returning it. The jerkiness is a pretty big deal to me, I would just like to see it more smooth. I have had suggestions to try to run my xbox on RGB instead of the hdmi.

What are yalls thoughts?
post #38 of 46 Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 PM

This is my first LCD / HDTV. 42LD520 came home today. Yet to open.
Will mount it tonite.

There is a wall mount in my home that was installed by previous owner.
He left it when he moved out.

I just need to get the correct screws for mounting the TV.
Looked at the instruction manual online and it says get M6 screws.
Is it what all are using ? How do you go about getting the correct
screws especially length ? Any pointers will be great.

PS : I could have created a new thread but thought it may help to contain
all the information to a single thread that was specifically created for this model.
My first post.. sorry if this is wrong in this forum !
post #39 of 46 Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr33ksho View Post

just a quick fyi to owners of an ld520 series, this fv CAN play hd divx videos off of a usb stick.
LG probably wants you to pay more for this + licensing fees etc but no worries after some googling lg hdtv hacks i came upon this web site: lgusb.wikispaces.com
which gives directions on enabling usb video on some european model lg tvs, but upon closer inspection some people reported getting this feature to work on ld520's from america so i figured what the heck. all you need is a universal remote that accepts 5 digit codes (i used a vizio television remote programming the dvd setting).
Enter the code 10856 into the universal remote using whatever procedure yours uses.
Next goto Tool Option3 on the menu, then down to divx and set it to hd. press exit and turn the tv on and off. Voila you can now play hd divx movies off a thumb drive on this tv. Id not recommend playing with other settings as it is possible to brick the television. This really added a lot of value to this television set in my book.
Thanks for the great tip,

I tried this with a mitsubishi tv remote. Entered the code and the remote confirmed entered correctly. However, I get no response from my tv when pressing 2 on the mits remote. Any other way to access this menu or should I try a different remote? Are you able to control the tv with this code as I can't get it to react at all to the mits remote.
post #40 of 46 Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr33ksho View Post

I would not have bumped this thread had I not felt it was imporant to mention this, so please bear with me.

There seems to be a lot of information out there on how to enable the USB port to play movies on UK/European model LG TVs, but there seems to be nothing about whether this is possible with american versions of LG tv's. Some people mention they were able to do so, but actual step-by-step instructions seem impossible to come by.

For owners of the LG 55LD520, I can confirm this fix above from phr33ksho works beautifully!

Last night, I used a Radio Shack universal remote that I had laying around that allows you to program it with 5 digit codes for different models of TVs, receivers, etc. I read the book for the remote, and the code phr33ksho listed above for the universal remote code (10856) was actually in my book under the LG TV's section, so I programmed my remote using that code. Once done, I pressed the number "2" and held it - up popped a dialogue for a password to get into the service menu. I entered "0000" and from there, it let me right into the service menu. Under "Tool Option 3" you just need to set the "divx" menu selection from 0 to 1, turn off the tv, turn it back on and the USB will be activated for movies.

FYI, I tried AVI, WMV and MKV and all three of those formats played perfectly.

So, for owners of the LD520 series of LG's here in the States, I can confirm this works like a charm.

Again, sorry for bumping a thread that's so old, but I felt this is useful information for owners of the US LD520 series of televisions. I couldn't seem to be able to confirm this, no matter how I searched for it on Google.
post #41 of 46 Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

FYI, I tried AVI, WMV and MKV and all three of those formats played perfectly.

So, for owners of the LD520 series of LG's here in the States, I can confirm this works like a charm.

Again, sorry for bumping a thread that's so old, but I felt this is useful information for owners of the US LD520 series of televisions. I couldn't seem to be able to confirm this, no matter how I searched for it on Google.

I'm glad that this worked out for you. Usually, getting into the service menu is a foolish and dangerous thing to do. Many have bricked their tv's that way. And updates, if available, can be mishandled if the updater is looking for a specific regional configuration and it encounters something that doesn't match. Besides, not all mobos, even within the same line, may allow you to do that depending on their version number. I have the 47LD520 and knew what it's "limitations" were before purchasing it.
post #42 of 46 Old 09-21-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I'm glad that this worked out for you. Usually, getting into the service menu is a foolish and dangerous thing to do. Many have bricked their tv's that way. And updates, if available, can be mishandled if the updater is looking for a specific regional configuration and it encounters something that doesn't match. Besides, not all mobos, even within the same line, may allow you to do that depending on their version number. I have the 47LD520 and knew what it's "limitations" were before purchasing it.

I don't know how "foolish and dangerous" it is as long as you are only changing this one option. It's only "foolish and dangerous" if someone is fishing around in the service menu and changing things they shouldn't. The enabling of the USB port is a straight-forward process (the changing of a single option in a menu), and one that would doubtfully brick your tv - again, as long as you're not fooling around with other settings you shouldn't be messing with.

Updates I wouldn't be too concerned about for my particular tv, which is why I did this. The model I own (55LD520) has been discontinued and no longer availabe for sale anywhere - which in turn means the support & updates probably have been also. Not to mention, they've never issued a single update for my model since it's inception, so I doubt they will in the future.

That being said, people should heed Otto's warning: if you do decide to do this, understand you could brick your TV, and if you do enable the USB port, DON'T APPLY UPDATES. Simple as that. And if you do want to apply an update, switch the USB option back to "0" instead of "1" before you update, just in case. Just be forewarned that the update could possibly negate the ability to turn back on the USB port.

I realize your warning is a generalization - messing with the service menu can be bad news, but this particular "fix" for my particular model of tv, I think there's not much (if any) risk whatsoever. Things like this are always done with the understanding that it's "at your own risk" - and I understood the risk.
post #43 of 46 Old 11-18-2011, 04:04 PM

Hello, I just purchased a Radio Shack TV/DVD Universal Remote and tried entering the code 10856 for my 42LD520 to access the service menu, but it allows me to enter only 3 digits. How were you able to enter a five digit code. You input will be appreciated. Thanks
post #44 of 46 Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singsal View Post

Hello, I just purchased a Radio Shack TV/DVD Universal Remote and tried entering the code 10856 for my 42LD520 to access the service menu, but it allows me to enter only 3 digits. How were you able to enter a five digit code. You input will be appreciated. Thanks

Again, entering the SM is a dangerous thing to do. Unless you are very sure of what you are doing, the outcome could be disastrous. The fact that you bought a Rat Shack UR means you don't have the original remote so you are playing with fire. Good luck.
post #45 of 46 Old 11-19-2011, 11:00 AM

Thanks for your prompt response. However, I do have the original remote as well. I went to Rad Shack again today but they don't have a remote which allows a five digit code. Which remote brand should I use? Thanks!
post #46 of 46 Old 11-19-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singsal View Post

Thanks for your prompt response. However, I do have the original remote as well. I went to Rad Shack again today but they don't have a remote which allows a five digit code. Which remote brand should I use? Thanks!

Hmmm, if you have the original and the RS, neither of which will allow to enter the magic code, try Target or BB. They may have a UR that will work. Good luck.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page