Official LG XXLE8500 Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed it. Where did you order it from? I got mine from Amazon on the first...they haven't even shipped it yet. I bought the 55le8500 and it came with a free LG LHB535 1100W Network Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System....the 535 is coming today...lol, the tv is still "shipping soon". DOH! Thankfully my Samsung LN52A650 hasn't been moved to the other room yet, but according to reviews. that Sammy dies in 2 years...so its due to croak...c'mon amazon, don't make me dig out the 46inch Hitachi ultravision plasma I'm using as a computer monitor. That would be tragic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 AM

I ordered mine from a Local place in St Catharine's (Gibby's Audio Video) i was told upon ordering they had one in stock, but I think I was fed a line just so they could get my money. Because now there saying they had 2 of them at there supplier, however now there are none and I have to get one from Vancouver or something stupid like that. I was told possibly tomorrow it may come in but I'm not holding my breath. I just hope it comes in soon because I sold my Pioneer Elite(PRO-930HD) to help fund the 8500 and now I'm watching TV on a 34" Sony widescreen tube TV. A far cry from 55"!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Well after much research I decided to go with the 47LE8500. I bought it Sept 6th from my local Best Buy, where they had it listed as "Clearance" with only 1 in stock. Supposedly they were authorized to order up to 25 more, but after reading some comments here I'm really glad I didn't wait.

I'm really happy to join the big leagues of HDTVs. This replaces a 42" Zenith plasma that could only do 480p. She was a trooper, and I stuck with her 'til I just couldn't stand its strange "green snow" effect that approx. 10% of the pixels had when changing from color to black.

I was wondering what the popular mounting solution is for this display. I'm a monoprice fanboy, but their thinnest tilting bracket is 1.8" compared to the LG LSW200BG at 0.8". Plus the LG bracket swivels (albeit only 15°). Can anyone recommend an alternative low-profile tilting bracket?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzRush View Post

Is anybody else noticing the supply of 8500's getting very low. I've been waiting for mine for 2 weeks now.

i´m waiting for mine already 2 months
Old 09-09-2010, 03:55 PM

Ive had mine for a week or so and it has to go back. Just doing an equal exchange because there is a lot of dirt/dust between the glass and lcd. From far they look like dead pixels.. just black spots. Other than that I am a big fan of the TV. I have almost no banding but I'm surprised that is the main topic as opposed to the glowing around light objects in a dark scene (caused from the local dimming). That to me is hard to swallow. But it's a price to pay for the deep deep inky blacks.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoir View Post

there is a lot of dirt/dust between the glass and lcd

Was it always like this or did it get dirty since you bought it? Has anyone else had this same problem? I ask because we have multiple pets that get everything else in my house dirty, and may take some extra precautions if this is a risk.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by migel View Post

This is the set up I use. I have HDMI out from my blu ray into my 55LE8500. Optical out from my blu ray directly into my Receiver. This set up allows you to use either the tv's speakers, or your HT audio set up. I agreet that the LG will probably not decode 5.1 channels for output. Good luck.

Yeah, sadly I've resigned myself to buying a new AV receiver next. For now I'll just have to make due with my optical audio switch being pressed back in to service.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKG View Post

Was it always like this or did it get dirty since you bought it? Has anyone else had this same problem? I ask because we have multiple pets that get everything else in my house dirty, and may take some extra precautions if this is a risk.

I've owned the 8500 for a couple of months now and haven't noticed any issue with dirt between the screen and lcd. Banding and 'glowing' are there. The glowing never bothered me, the banding I decided I could live with. Otherwise, the picture still amazes me everytime I pop a blu ray in.

Question for other owners. I'm not partial to THX settings and actually prefer the brighter 'soap opera' effect (to a degree -I don't use any of the presets, i.e. vivid, game or standard). I have settled on a fairly decent Expert 2 mode for dvd/blu ray viewing, just wondering if anyone else would care to share their 'higher contrast & backlight' modes, if they, like me prefer them. I realize I'm in the minority. Cheers.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbhuda View Post

Yeah, sadly I've resigned myself to buying a new AV receiver next. For now I'll just have to make due with my optical audio switch being pressed back in to service.

Thanks for the input!

No problem. You really need the 5.1 to appreciate this tv. Cheers.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM

The dirt is definitely from the factory. I've looked around the whole frame very closely and there is no way something could get in there after you get your set. Ive tried compressed air and that thing is sealed pretty well.

I can totally live with the banding. But the glowing halos around faces gets to me.. but I'll live with it since the only way to get rid of it is get a TV without local dimming and then pay the price with grey blacks..
Old 09-10-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoir View Post

The dirt is definitely from the factory. I've looked around the whole frame very closely and there is no way something could get in there after you get your set. Ive tried compressed air and that thing is sealed pretty well.

I can totally live with the banding. But the glowing halos around faces gets to me.. but I'll live with it since the only way to get rid of it is get a TV without local dimming and then pay the price with grey blacks..

I have a 9500 but close enough.. I only get the glowing when I can laying down looking up @ the panel (off angle) no glow straight on.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
Old 09-11-2010, 01:19 AM

Well, Amazon finally just shipped my 55le8500 today, 10 days post purchase. Giving me an estimated arrival of 9/17..Friday, of course..since Ill be gone Thursday through Sunday. Nice. It's originating in Indianapolis...and it's gonna take a week to get to mid/southern-Michigan? I can drive to Indy in 4 hours from my front door. Must be an Amish owned delivery service, horse & carriage style. Anyway, anyone ever had any experience w/ Pilot freight services? The email says they are the delivery company. The last tv I bought through Amazon came Ceva I think it was...they did a good job.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzRush View Post

Is anybody else noticing the supply of 8500's getting very low. I've been waiting for mine for 2 weeks now.

Nope, plenty in stock Including the LHB535 which is just about free. This applies to 55" and 47".
Old 09-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron-Monk View Post

Anyway, anyone ever had any experience w/ Pilot freight services? The email says they are the delivery company. The last tv I bought through Amazon came Ceva I think it was...they did a good job.

I have had two TV's delivered by Pilot:

http://www.pilotdelivers.com/

...including my 47LE8500. Everything went perfectly both times. On time, within the 3-hour delivery time frame. On schedule, regarding the day promised. No damage. Tracking online.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Midas, or anyone else who has had Pilot....is it like Amazons white glove service? Do they put the unit anywhere you want on the first floor and remove packaging if requested? Or is it just a glorifies UPS type of thing where delivery is scheduled but they just deliver and leave?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron-Monk View Post

Midas, or anyone else who has had Pilot....is it like Amazons white glove service? Do they put the unit anywhere you want on the first floor and remove packaging if requested? Or is it just a glorifies UPS type of thing where delivery is scheduled but they just deliver and leave?

I had two separate deliveries from Pilot, fairly recently. One was for the 47" LG 47LE8500 and one was for the 42" Vizio XVT423SV.

Two men carried the LG TV into my living room. They dropped the box off, leaving the box sealed, had me sign the receipt, and departed.

One man delivered the Vizio TV. He carried the box into my living room, leaving the box sealed, had me sign the receipt, and departed.

I opened up both boxes and set up both TV's all by myself.

For sure, if I had purchased the 55" LG, I would have needed a second person to help me install the base and then lift it up onto my stand. (But I was able to lift the 47" TV all by myself.)

Both TV's were purchased with "Free Shipping." I assume, some vendors will offer "White Glove" delivery if you pay for it. (I hope you love your new LG TV.)
Old 09-12-2010, 08:18 PM

Ok, thank you. I just needed to know if I needed someone here to assist me, and if I was going to need to break out the box cutter (I might keep the box in case of a return...although I really hope I don't want to return this). So now I know I do...lol.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've had my 55LE8500 for almost a month now, and banding / uniformity issues aside - I've gotten acclimated to this in spite of noticing it more often than I'd like, I love this set.

But twice now I've had a couple of green lines show up across the top. The lines showed up upon turning the set back on from stand-by with the remote. Powering the set off and back on with the set's power button (not the remote) has removed them immediately.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I have to say I have gotten to really enjoy the glossy screen's truly deep blacks & great shadow detail, along with the other good qualities.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 AM

Hi Chris @ Cleveland Plasma.... I cannot find any current information about the LG AN-VC100 WebCam Accessory that is intended for using Skype on the LG XXLE8500 and other LG HDTV Models. One comment I read somewhere on the AVS Forum said that LG expects to maybe re-release the LG AN-VC100 WebCam and updated software in Oct 2010. As a retailer of LG TV's what do you know about the LG TV Skype situation? .....

Anybody have a news update about the LG AN-VC100 Skype Camera that was intended for use on the LG XXLE8500 HDTV and other LG HDTV models?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

I had two separate deliveries from Pilot, fairly recently. One was for the 47" LG 47LE8500 and one was for the 42" Vizio XVT423SV.

Two men carried the LG TV into my living room. They dropped the box off, leaving the box sealed, had me sign the receipt, and departed.

One man delivered the Vizio TV. He carried the box into my living room, leaving the box sealed, had me sign the receipt, and departed.

I opened up both boxes and set up both TV's all by myself.

For sure, if I had purchased the 55" LG, I would have needed a second person to help me install the base and then lift it up onto my stand. (But I was able to lift the 47" TV all by myself.)

Both TV's were purchased with "Free Shipping." I assume, some vendors will offer "White Glove" delivery if you pay for it. (I hope you love your new LG TV.)

I gave the two HDTV Delivery Guys a $20 Tip for helping me un-package, inspect, mount on stand and test my LG 55LE8500. All went well and I happily signed for Delivery Acceptance.

I have heard and read that an HDTV Purchaser should always un-package the HDTV, perform a complete physical inspection of the HDTV, plug in the HDTV and turn it on to confirm that it operates normally prior to signing for acceptance of the HDTV Delivery. If physical damage is discovered when performing the inspection or if the HDTV fails to operate normally when plugged in and turned on... then the HDTV Delivery should be refused. Many retailers require Purchaser to follow this procedure prior to signing for acceptance of the HDTV Delivery. After Delivery acceptance you might only have the HDTV Warranty to protect you....
Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 PM

Analog Sound with DVI/HDMI video

Just picked up the 55LE8500, PQ is stunning, no visible banding so far. I have a HD cable box connected to the TV using DVI / HDMI adapter for video and RCA cables for audio. I used one of the LG supplied 3in1 RCA / phone jacks to connect the audio.

When I switch inputs to another HDMI input that does not have a signal, the audio from the RCA cables is still engaged. Though when the HDMI signal kicks in everything is fine.

It is strange to hear the audio from HDMI 1 when I've switched to HDMI 2.

Does anyone know if this is normal behaviour?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu888 View Post

Just picked up the 55LE8500, PQ is stunning, no visible banding so far. I have a HD cable box connected to the TV using DVI / HDMI adapter for video and RCA cables for audio. I used one of the LG supplied 3in1 RCA / phone jacks to connect the audio.

When I switch inputs to another HDMI input that does not have a signal, the audio from the RCA cables is still engaged. Though when the HDMI signal kicks in everything is fine.

It is strange to hear the audio from HDMI 1 when I've switched to HDMI 2.

Does anyone know if this is normal behaviour?

Thanks in advance

Why not swap your cable box with a box that has a dedicated HDMI output? (Cox Cable offers HD boxes with and without HDMI connection, so I assume all cable companies do? I specifically requested they only send me the HD box with the HDMI output.)
Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 AM

I just received my 47LE8500 yesterday http://www.amazon.com/LG-47LE8500-In...=1284527957&sr and noticed some strange backlight bleeding issues. I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this? Sorry for the low-res photos(taken with iphone)

Tv on with backlight off I presume

Menu with no visible bleeding

This is what I see once I select "vudu" for a brief moment

This is what I see once the menu loads (ignore the top flare, its an on screen graphic)

Another menu shot

This is the worst that I have noticed it. It's strange because I've watched avatar on bluray along with a number of other films and have not noticed any bleeding. Same goes for xbox 360, no bleeding during halo or browsing home screen. I get very dark blacks. Could this have something to do with the local dimming? It seems as if the backlight is just on because it's a static image, or is it having a difficult time deciding whether to stay on or dim down? Is this a known issue? Are there any definitive backlight tests I can do to determine whether I need to send this set back for a replacement?

Thanks for read!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu888 View Post

Just picked up the 55LE8500, PQ is stunning, no visible banding so far.
Thanks in advance

Hello, could you please confirm that you see no banding on you TV. Also all who say that you don't have it. Here in Europe, me and other people, all notice banding. I really think it is limit of the FULL LED technology that LG used to produce TV at this price with such fantastic black (local dimmimg)... Just to make sure that all LG Full LED TV has this, could you please check this test mkv 14 sec. Just copy it to USB and play on your TV.

http://rapidshare.com/files/419084312/test.mkv

You will see banding on the oldmen right hand at 8-10 sec when the camera goes up. Local deeming has to be ON. When it OFF, there is no banding. This is how it looks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62A6ix53XPo

Let me know.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttt View Post

This is the worst that I have noticed it. It's strange because I've watched avatar on bluray along with a number of other films and have not noticed any bleeding. Same goes for xbox 360, no bleeding during halo or browsing home screen. I get very dark blacks. Could this have something to do with the local dimming? It seems as if the backlight is just on because it's a static image, or is it having a difficult time deciding whether to stay on or dim down? Is this a known issue? Are there any definitive backlight tests I can do to determine whether I need to send this set back for a replacement?
Thanks for read!

Mttt, it is NOT normal, sorry. Look careful at the left edge of the TV..Is there any geometric deformation of the TV surface? Look here, similar problem
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=d011484d61
In anay case I would exchange this.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttt View Post

I just received my 47LE8500 yesterday http://www.amazon.com/LG-47LE8500-In...=1284527957&sr and noticed some strange backlight bleeding issues. I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this? Sorry for the low-res photos(taken with iphone)
Thanks for read!

mtt, I agree that doesn't look right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessamarin View Post

Hello, could you please confirm that you see no banding on you TV.
You will see banding on the hand of hero at 8-10 sec when the camera goes up. Local deeming has to be ON. When it OFF, there is no banding.

odessamarin, banding / uniformity occurs with or without LED dimming on, it's just less noticeable because of the reduced contrast. It's not inherent in the dimming but in the LED zone structure and how a particular set was constructed.

SERVICE MENU: has anybody been able to open the service menu for these sets? Nothing in the hack thread for EU sets seems to work.

Cheers!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

banding / uniformity occurs with or without LED dimming on, it's just less noticeable because of the reduced contrast.
Cheers!

Well, if you try test.mkv...
with local dimming OFF, you almost don't see it. This example show very well how LG's algoritm is aggressive. I'm not talking about uniformity. Here no problem with this. I'm talking about banding that well observed on dinamic scene especially with vertical camera movement and some uniform background with contrast obgects. Another way to see it well is when you have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. So in my set, times to times i will see a horizontal strip close to that bars with different brightness (more dark) than the rest of the screen. I like this TV and will keep it.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Well, if you try test.mkv...
with local dimming OFF, you almost don't see it. This example show very well how LG's algoritm is aggressive. I'm not talking about uniformity. Here no problem with this. I'm talking about banding that well observed on dinamic scene especially with vertical camera movement and some uniform background with contrast obgects. Another way to see it well is when you have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. So in my set, times to times i will see a horizontal strip close to that bars with different brightness (more dark) than the rest of the screen. I like this TV and will keep it.

I exchanged my first 8500 for a replacement due to the banding issue. The second set also has it, although for the price and overall pic quality of the 8500, I kept the set. I can detect banding, similar to the USB example, on all pic sources, whether on a solid coloured or busy background.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Exactly.. just wonder how ppl say.. no Binding so far )
Anyway.. the same, I like this TV. Price, size, Pic Q.. very good. Will live with banding. Just want to keep ppl informed and avoid to exchange their TV just for this )
Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Exactly.. just wonder how ppl say.. no Binding so far )

It is just that; have not spent enough time testing or looking for it so based on the few hours of viewing various material (hd cable, PC, bluray) I have not noticed it -- but that does not mean its not there.

I upgraded from a Sharp D92U and the banding on that was noticeable so relatively speaking I'm fairly happy with the LG.

Will test with the MKV file posted earlier though.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

Why not swap your cable box with a box that has a dedicated HDMI output? (Cox Cable offers HD boxes with and without HDMI connection, so I assume all cable companies do? I specifically requested they only send me the HD box with the HDMI output.)

Good suggestion, did ask the cable company a while back about a new hd box but it cost more $$$ than I expected. Will have to live with this minor feature for now.