Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Does the PS3 support xvYCC? It looks like my BD390 supports xvYCC / Deep Color over HDMI.

My original fat PS3 has an option to set deep color over HDMI,
Quote:
Quote 'xvYCC is significant ONLY if all components in the chain support xvYCC. Do not utilize this setting on any component unless everything else can fall into place. Once set, xvYCC should override and RGB or YCbCr settings.'

This is true, but according to this article discussing HDMI 1.3 and the inclusion of deep color:
Quote:
Neither HD DVD nor Blu-ray support xvYCC or Deep Color, and never will. Those features are beyond the spec of either format.

Quote:
Long story short, even if you have a brand new HDTV that can actually render all of those billions of new colors (most can't), and even if you have HDMI 1.3 connections on both ends and every piece of equipment in-between, you'll simply never get those colors from a Blu-ray or HD DVD source. Maybe in some other type of product (like an HD camcorder or video game) or some future movie format, but not from HD DVD or Blu-ray.

The article goes into more detail about why this is so. Something may have changed in the Blu Ray spec since this was published three years ago, but if not, deep color/xvycc should be a non-factor regarding Blu-ray output, and if available, should probably be disabled for Blu-ray playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

The article goes into more detail about why this is so. Something may have changed in the Blu Ray spec since this was published three years ago, but if not, deep color/xvycc should be a non-factor regarding Blu-ray output, and if available, should probably be disabled for Blu-ray playback.

Yes I ended turning off xvYCC which restored the deep blacks. Maybe I could have adjusted with xvYCC on but there really didn't seem to be any point.

So my impressions after 5 days with the 55LE8500 (which replaced a 6 year old Samsung 50" 720 DLP). I am using ISF expert mode 1 and have used AVSHD and Spears and Munsil to make some adjustments - mainly adjusting Brightness and Contrast.

1. The picture is stunning! Blacks and shadow detail are unbelievable - the picture pops on both Blu-Ray and DirecTV.

2. Both my wife and I have seen some banding - we particularly saw it on both Fringe and Nikita - however that was before I did the tweaking with AVSHD and Spears and Munsil which reduced the contrast about 3 clicks so all white levels up to 255 were visible. Since then we haven't noticed it as much - but that could be the source material or the adjustments.

3. It is a mirror - but that's OK for us because we can control the light in the viewing area - basically we only use this room for viewing TV.

4. The test patterns show that Red/Green maybe saturating at high levels on ISF Expert setting (tweaked a little with color bars and a blue filter) - however with real material the colors look very good. It may be some more adjustment on color setting would improve it more. Maybe I need to find more about how to use the 10 IRE setting (presumably needs some hardware).............

We'll see if the banding is visible on other content - but for now I think it is a keeper. We got it for $1869 (Best Buy price matching Frys). I can't see us going back to the Samsung DLP and I don't think there are any other better options <$2000.

Edit - I should add I really like the clean lines of the design. With the LG light switched off - the ONLY thing you see is the picture. That is the way it should be. I have tried but probably won't use the online features. It really doesn't add anything that I can't do from my BD390. Frankly the Blu-Ray player seems a better place for this as the audio goes through my receiver when I use Netflix or Vudu. It would probably frustrate me using the audio out from the TV - particularly as I have read that this is only two channel.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:11 AM

Miracles Happen? LG actually posted a new LG XXLE8500 Software Update Version 08.00.02 today and I just successfully downloaded it to my LG55LE8500. I haven't had time to assess what the software changes or additions are yet and hopefully someone will post a good review of this latest Update 08.00.02 ..... LG never seems to inform their customers about anything.... I give LG an "F" for complete lack of communication with their HDTV customers.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yep, checked this morning with little hope and TARA! Who knows what it did but everything still seems to work .
Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachn View Post

Miracles Happen? LG actually posted a new LG XXLE8500 Software Update Version 08.00.02 today and I just successfully downloaded it to my LG 55LE8500. I haven't had time to assess what the software changes or additions are yet and hopefully someone will post a good review of this latest Update 08.00.02 .....

Will need some more time to evaluate after taking the software update, but, I have not seen any "banding" since doing it. Not that banding has been a significant problem with my display. No more netcast services seem to be added. It did not wipe out my custom settings.

If this helps reduce the banding problem, much thanks LG.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well, I still see banding ...
Old 10-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I still see some banding too but it was never very bad on my set.

However, the update has given it a completely new Netflix UI which is much better IMO. I think there's some Vudu changes also although I don't really use it so I could be mistaken.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

Yep, checked this morning with little hope and TARA! Who knows what it did but everything still seems to work .

I just checked this last night and didn't see an update. Guess I was a day too early.

I'll DL it and see if it makes any changes to the banding, which was barely noticeable on my set as it is.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:59 PM

The firmware update caused my DLNA shared .avi files to stop playing on my 52LD550.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:03 PM

I had a problem updating from 05.05.00 to 08.00.02. The TV failed the update and nolonger renders a picture just strange ghost image. Suggestions??
Old 10-11-2010, 07:45 PM

i have the 55le5400-us with software 08.00.02 but the only netcast apps i have r youtube netflix vudu yahooand picasa do anyone kno how i can get pandora? email me theecastine@aol.com or comment back
Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwhitman View Post

I had a problem updating from 05.05.00 to 08.00.02. The TV failed the update and nolonger renders a picture just strange ghost image. Suggestions??

LG does recommend using hardwired internet connection when downloading software updates to LG HDTV to reduce chance of download failure. I did use a wireless connection for my software update of 55LE8500. To get quick access to software update window click on your remote control "Menu" button and then click on the remote control "red" button..... select "software update"... click "enter".... click "enter" to "Check Update Version"..... and click to update software if available.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

Try unplugging the set for a half hour, re-power back up to see if that will kick start it. If not - LG Service Rep!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Hmm odd I think they did do something to help the banding. I do not notice it in scenes I used to notice it in. Thus far I haven't seen it happen once but I'll be on the lookout. I guess it's too early to tell. It also seems like the haloing/blooming effect has decreased a bit.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:

LG does recommend using hardwired internet connection when downloading software updates to LG HDTV to reduce chance of download failure. I did use a wireless connection for my software update of 55LE8500. To get quick access to software update window click on your remote control "Menu" button and then click on the remote control "red" button..... select "software update"... click "enter".... click "enter" to "Check Update Version"..... and click to update software if available.

I did use a hardwire ethernet connection. Additional infomation - I replaced this same TV model (55LE8500) earlier today (10/11/2010) with a brand new unit. The original unit was purchased on 10/5/2010. I did a wireless update the 1st time with the same result no access to the TV menu or ability to access thru any of the TV HDMI inputs. Further I did have the LG wireless TV media center plugged in during the update. So I am taking the suggestion of turning the TV off for 1/2 hour and seeing if I get a restore. I don't believe it will work as I tried it on the 1st TV before returning it. Very Bad luck so far. Thanks very much for the input. The dealer and LG Rep are next tomorrow morning if this all fails.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Try unplugging the set for a half hour, re-power back up to see if that will kick start it. If not - LG Service Rep!

I did use a hardwire ethernet connection. Additional infomation - I replaced this same TV model (55LE8500) earlier today (10/11/2010) with a brand new unit. The original unit was purchased on 10/5/2010. I did a wireless update the 1st time with the same result no access to the TV menu or ability to access thru any of the TV HDMI inputs. Further I did have the LG wireless TV media center plugged in during the update. So I am taking the suggestion of turning the TV off for 1/2 hour and seeing if I get a restore. I don't believe it will work as I tried it on the 1st TV before returning it. Very Bad luck so far. Thanks very much for the input. The dealer and LG Rep are next tomorrow morning if this all fails.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehcorpz View Post

Hmm odd I think they did do something to help the banding. I do not notice it in scenes I used to notice it in. Thus far I haven't seen it happen once but I'll be on the lookout. I guess it's too early to tell. It also seems like the haloing/blooming effect has decreased a bit.

It is rumored that "Banding", "Haloing" and "Blooming" sneaks into these LG HDTVs when you are sleeping.... so set your alarm clock to ring once an hour and keep one eye open while snoozing!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 PM

I had the EXACT same thing happen on my 55LE5500 today. Bought the TV on Friday, was on the 5.x.x firmware. Got home tonight, said there was a firmware update and asked me if I wanted to download it. I said yes (I'm hardwired). It downloaded, and said it was going to "reboot". The TV reset, came back up once to the LG screen with no time on it, reset again and now all I get is sound and no picture. Every now and then I get this weird sort of foggy looking gray and black picture that basically looks like a bunch of gray and black lines side by side and they look "foggy". I've tried unplugging it and everything else to no avail. I even called LG and they were no help (they had me unplug it, hold down the power button for 40 seconds and then told me they needed to schedule service). TV is going back to the place of purchase tomorrow to be swapped out and there is NO way I'm updating the firmware when it asks me on the new one.

Quote:

Old 10-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Thankfully mine seems to have updated to 08.00.02 without issue. There was a slight hiccup initially when the download screen disappeared at around 50%, but I manually made it check for an update and it resumed downloading and installed OK, restarting itself twice before it completed.

I still see the banding, but at first glance it really does seem less serious and a notable improvement from earlier software versions. I hope this continues to be my experience, because the banding is really the only thing that's keeping the picture on this TV from being what I'd personally consider near perfection.

I wonder if the update problems people are reporting are because their sets went from straight from v5 to v8, skipping v6. When I was updating to v6, the TV updated to v5 first and then I initiated a second update right away to get to v6. It could be that the sets need something from v6 in order to make a successful move to v8.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:

I am having the same problem with my nearly new 55LE8500. Updated from 06.xx over wired connection. I did not pay attention to the upgrade process. Eventually, the TV shut itself down and I assumed it had finished. I have since had only faint ghost images.
Tried power disconnected for hours. That did not help.
If I knew the precise button presses to reapply the upgrade blind, I would try it again.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 PM

Same problem with 55LE5500 update to v8.
txskeets started a separate thread for the firmware update issue, let's track it there. Thread 1282752.

root of this site +
avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1282752

I can't post the URL until I'm slightly above n00b status here.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 PM

Here is the full link to the thread I started:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1282752

I would like to change the topic of that thread to TV Bricked after 8.x.x update, but I dont think there is a way for me to do that.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:

It is rumored that "Banding", "Haloing" and "Blooming" sneaks into these LG HDTVs when you are sleeping.... so set your alarm clock to ring once an hour and keep one eye open while snoozing!

lol Banding is the one thing I have to literally look out for. It's hard to catch it but if you're being critical you will. My problem is the haloing/blooming effect. I watch the tv in a pitch dark room and anytime there are letters on the screen or stars in a black sky you see these little squares of LED zones lit up. My friends don't really notice it but I guess my eyes are sensitive as it is so apparent for me. But now i still see them but it almost looks like since this software update the LED zone is not fully lit and it doesn't look like a square of light but rather more rounded as if the edges are less lit. I believe the 55LHX did something similar where it didn't light the whole zone. Maybe eventually they will do something similar on this.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Hi TCDTV and Knutz ..... My Software/Firmware Update experience from 06.00.04 to 08.00.02 was similar to what you described. I installed via "Wireless" connection. When the Exclamation Point appeared on HDTV Screen upon successful Update Install I simply clicked "enter" and the LG55LE8500 resumed normal operation .....

When performing the Software/Firmware Update the little window showing "Update" install progress disappeared a couple of times from the HDTV Screen so I simply pressed "Menu".... "Red".... Update....Enter.... and the Update Progress Window reappeared on HDTV Screen until progress was eventually completed.... When Exclamation Point appeared on screen.... "Enter" was clicked to resume normal HDTV viewing with 08.00.02 successfully installed....
Old 10-12-2010, 02:31 PM

The new Netflix interface in the new software is a big improvement, though it can be a bit clunky to navigate with so many titles shown on screen at once in a grid. I've also noticed that it no longer has the quality meter that would display "HD" when it managed to stream an HD title at full resolution. I wonder if Netflix is hoping people won't notice if they aren't getting HD streams of HD titles.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

I wonder if the update problems people are reporting are because their sets went from straight from v5 to v8, skipping v6. When I was updating to v6, the TV updated to v5 first and then I initiated a second update right away to get to v6. It could be that the sets need something from v6 in order to make a successful move to v8.

When I purchased my set back in July, it was in 3.x software and it was discussed in the thread here that 6.x was available.

My set did the upgrade from 3.x to 5.x and from 5.x to 6.x in two steps, with neither being an issue. Same as yours.

I'll run the update to v8 this evening and see what happens. Hopefully nothing more than the update working without issue.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 PM

My update worked smoothly via wireless, took about 20 minutes (6.0 to 8.0). Still wondering exactly what was updated. It sure wasn't Netcast for Canadian consumers.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migel View Post

My update worked smoothly via wireless, took about 20 minutes (6.0 to 8.0). Still wondering exactly what was updated. It sure wasn't Netcast for Canadian consumers.

It sounds like the update provided Netflix 2.0 in the US (a feature that was promised in LG's introductory press release.

Interesting, because the (so called) customer service reps I spoke to last week insisted that it was impossible for the "Canadian" model of the LE8500 to run Netflix 2.0. This was their excuse for not updating the firmware to provide this functionality in Canada. I guess it is possible.

It was not credible to me that it is possible for a cheap, three year old wii to run netflix in Canada, but not an expensive, hot new LG TV.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:55 AM

Liked: 11
This is for everyone that wants a gaming panel .... do NOT buy the Le8500!
FPS (bad company 2) on the PS3 is horrible, there is a constant flashing that is increased proportionately as trumotion is increased, this only occurs when quick moments are involved which in FPS gaming world is all the time. This "strobe light effect" is just not acceptable at this price point.
Also on the main PS3 menu screen (games as well) my friends and I have noticed that the wording is not as clean and crisp as my samsung 5265F, are the blacks better? definitely, are there banding issues? definitely, does the Le8500 play HD content well? definitely.
Am I returning the LG Le8500 tomorrow? Definitely!

The gaming section is the reason this LED will be returned.
Very interesting how HD movies are crisp and clear yet PS3 games are very pixelated and grainy, not to mention the strobe light effect.

PS what is shown in the attached pics is usually only seen when viewing at an angle, off angle demo
LL
LL
Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy71 View Post

Very interesting how HD movies are crisp and clear yet PS3 games are very pixelated and grainy, not to mention the strobe light effect.

I have the 47LE8500 and can really notice the lack of anti-aliasing in some games like Halo Reach. Initially I thought that the xbox 360 wasn't up-scaling correctly due to the visible jaggies. But on-screen text and game/hud menu's are sharp and crisp (it's mainly actual 3d models that have jaggies), so I knew that wasn't the issue. I came from an older sony lcd along with a SD crt so maybe I'm just used to lower res/blurred graphics. The effect I'm noticing is that since many 3D models in-game have visible aliasing, when running around(first person) you get somewhat of a flicker effect in some areas. I see it happening in planes of grass in-game (flicker/offset grainy noise). It's not extremely noticeable, but enough to point out.

Is this similar to the strobe effect your experiencing italy71? I understand that many 360 games run below 720p and don't use anti-aliasing and this is more apparent on larger HD tv's. Could it just be that this TV is so good that you'll notice imperfections in gaming a lot more? Or is this grainy/flicker phenomenon a flaw of this set?

I haven't done any extensive calibration but I intend to. Maybe this will yield better results.