Official LG XXLE8500 Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Member
 
italy71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I see it happening in planes of grass in-game (flicker/offset grainy noise). It's not extremely noticeable, but enough to point out.

Is this similar to the strobe effect your experiencing italy71? I understand that many 360 games run below 720p and don't use anti-aliasing and this is more apparent on larger HD tv's. Could it just be that this TV is so good that you'll notice imperfections in gaming a lot more? Or is this grainy/flicker phenomenon a flaw of this set?

I haven't done any extensive calibration but I intend to. Maybe this will yield better results.[/quote]


Yes, the strobe effect and flickering seem to be the same...
I've own a few high end lcd's and plasma's panels so I do not think it would be an issue with the picture being to good
I had a friend bring over his PS3 and we did a side by side comparison, same game (BC2) old samsung 5265F VS Le8500.
color saturation and black levels go to the LE8500 with ease,
but again the 8500 was grainy, pixels (blocking) could be seen around objects where as with the 5265F the objects were smooth.
I used the calibrations posted on this thread and also tired my own, there was no difference.
I also just watched prince of persia blu ray and the banding issues can be seen in the fly-by desert clips

I would be gaming for 50% of panels life span so these deficiencies, at this price just doesn't cut it in my books.

Any advise on a excellent gaming set?

Cheers from Canada
italy71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 AM
Member
 
migel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhacker View Post

It sounds like the update provided Netflix 2.0 in the US (a feature that was promised in LG's introductory press release.

Interesting, because the (so called) customer service reps I spoke to last week insisted that it was impossible for the "Canadian" model of the LE8500 to run Netflix 2.0. This was their excuse for not updating the firmware to provide this functionality in Canada. I guess it is possible.

It was not credible to me that it is possible for a cheap, three year old wii to run netflix in Canada, but not an expensive, hot new LG TV.

I should have chosen my wording better. By not updating Netflix, I meant not adding it as an option. I was told by LG this ain't gonna happen, and they were true to their word. I recently bought a second PS3 (move bundle), specifically for this reason.
migel is offline  
post #903 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by migel View Post

I should have chosen my wording better. By not updating Netflix, I meant not adding it as an option. I was told by LG this ain't gonna happen, and they were true to their word. I recently bought a second PS3 (move bundle), specifically for this reason.

What would happen if you obtained the US FW Update? Would you be blocked out when a Canadian IP address was detected? But then how would the system decide the NetFlix enquiry was from a TV or PS3?
p5browne is offline  
post #904 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stan54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: ME
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like a lot of problems with this model due to banding and internet conflicts.
Stan54 is offline  
post #905 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Newbie
 
jimhacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned this set only about 10 days, and have found the performance of LG's customer service to be very poor. I am returning it, because I do not ever want to be dependant on LG customer service in the event of a serious warranty problem.
First, when I found that Netflix to be MIA (I am in Canada), I was told by one rep and two supervisors that, in essence, I was stupid to have made by buying decision based on "US sources" like CNet and LG's CES press release that said the 2010 Infinia line included Netflix 2.0. Both supervisors asked "If you are in Canada, why would you read US reviews?". The rep also told me that the 2010 Infinia line "can not" be updated to work in Canada because they cannot run Netflix 2.0 which is incorrect, as Netflix 2.0 was a documented spec promoted at CES and is now, apparently running on US sets that have survived the recent software update.
According to these supervisors, I should have referred to the LG Canada site for my information. Had I done so, however, I still would not have been alerted to the omission. LG Canada's site just says that the set includes "NetCast Entertainment Access" (which every other resource defined to include Netflix). The closest thing to a warning was that "content" varies by region well, sure it does: I didn't expect Vudu, for instance, to work here, because that content is geo-blocked. I did NOT expect *features* to vary by region. In my view, this was a reasonable consumer expectation. I bought a 55LE8500, not a 55LE8500(canada) or a 55LE8501, etc.
Both supervisors, further, refused to investigate and advise whether the LG blu-ray player I bought at the same time also missing the promoted netflix feature would be updated. They didn't know, they didn't care and, no, they would not find out.
I asked for my complaint to be escalated, and was promised a return call by "Marisa", the manager of the executive service department "within 24 to 72 hours". It is now seven days and counting.
I have already returned the blu-ray player and was leaning toward returning the set when the software update bricked it. The response I received to the software update problem made my mind up for me. When I tried to explain why, I believed, there was a defect in the firmware or update process, the rep cut me off. He told me that there was no defect, because he would know if there was one. Then he told me again (without inhaling) and told me a couple of more times. To get the set fixed, I would have to book an appointment with a full day window, and miss a day at work. LG broke my set and, in my view, a company with a real commitment to customer service would find a way to make the remedy less difficult.
At no point in this adventure did I perceive that LG's customer service had a mandate to serve customers.
Ironically, I had a very positive customer service experience wrt an LG CD burner a number of years ago, which had a positive impact on my subsequent decisions to buy an LG DVD player, an LG washing machine, and the items I am now returning.
jimhacker is offline  
post #906 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Member
 
Iron-Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm. Interesting how experiences differ. Ive had my 55 8500 for a little less than a month I believe. Banding is minimal..Ive noticed it twice (actually, I should say Ive noticed it w/ two movies). There is some blooming, but its a full array led. I also put in...10-20 hours of gaming per week. Right now its Halo Reach and The new Medal of Honor. I have played in game mode and in regular/vivid, with 240m on as well as local dimming. If there's lag, I'm not noticing too much...I still do very well in online multiplayer. I use PS3 as my Blu Ray player, but I don't game much on it as I enjoy the Xbox experience much more. But so far BR on the PS3 looks fan-frigging-tastic on this unit.I downloaded the update last night (hardwired), no issues. Picture is perfection, so I just don't know. I think maybe some are screwing the pooch a tad too deep here. Its a 2k tv, not 6-10k. The bricking Id be mad about...it has to work, and CS should be respectful, which makes me consider getting amazons fair trade instead of LGs extended.. But the issues that most seem to be really hard about are expected. Every tv has idiosyncrasies...even those w/ astronomical pricepoints. Anyway, I hope all issues are resolved.
Iron-Monk is offline  
post #907 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Member
 
znutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron-Monk View Post

Hmm. Interesting how experiences differ. Ive had my 55 8500 for a little less than a month I believe. Banding is minimal..Ive noticed it twice (actually, I should say Ive noticed it w/ two movies). There is some blooming, but its a full array led. I also put in...10-20 hours of gaming per week. Right now its Halo Reach and The new Medal of Honor. I have played in game mode and in regular/vivid, with 240m on as well as local dimming. If there's lag, I'm not noticing too much...I still do very well in online multiplayer. I use PS3 as my Blu Ray player, but I don't game much on it as I enjoy the Xbox experience much more. But so far BR on the PS3 looks fan-frigging-tastic on this unit.I downloaded the update last night (hardwired), no issues. Picture is perfection, so I just don't know. I think maybe some are screwing the pooch a tad too deep here. Its a 2k tv, not 6-10k. The bricking Id be mad about...it has to work, and CS should be respectful, which makes me consider getting amazons fair trade instead of LGs extended.. But the issues that most seem to be really hard about are expected. Every tv has idiosyncrasies...even those w/ astronomical pricepoints. Anyway, I hope all issues are resolved.

Iron-Munk, I completely agree. I have owned the set for three days and could not be happier. Upgraded from a Samsung LN46A650 and could notice an incredible difference in picture quality right from the start, especially with black levels and overall color reproduction. The set can reach the blackest of blacks! Off-angle viewing is also improved along with a lot speedier user interface. The picture on all sources be it blu-ray, Xbox 360, ATT Uverse box, or my home theater PC, are absolutely stunning. I have noticed banding once or twice but I had to be watching for it; actually concentrating on it. In my opinion, if that is the route one must take to see banding then it is not an issue at all. The problem for people complaining about banding might be less of a banding issue and more of a lack of entertaining media

I would probably have a different opinion if my set "bricked" after the update but all went well. I'm very glad with the purchase and have already recommended the set to friends and family.
znutz is offline  
post #908 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Member
 
Iron-Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nutz,
I'm glad to see someone else who's stoked about this unit. And I also upgraded from a Sammy LN, I have the LN52A650. Loved it, but was time to bring in new blood. Not sure what you did with yours, but mine is my second computer monitor now, in a dual monitor setup....amazing! I'm glad the update went smooth for you, & I hope you continue to dig your new LED. I kinda wish they would break down what is involved/changed in each update.
Iron-Monk is offline  
post #909 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Member
 
migel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhacker View Post

I have owned this set only about 10 days, and have found the performance of LG's customer service to be very poor. I am returning it, because I do not ever want to be dependant on LG customer service in the event of a serious warranty problem.
First, when I found that Netflix to be MIA (I am in Canada), I was told by one rep and two supervisors that, in essence, I was stupid to have made by buying decision based on "US sources" like CNet and LG's CES press release that said the 2010 Infinia line included Netflix 2.0. Both supervisors asked "If you are in Canada, why would you read US reviews?". The rep also told me that the 2010 Infinia line "can not" be updated to work in Canada because they cannot run Netflix 2.0 which is incorrect, as Netflix 2.0 was a documented spec promoted at CES and is now, apparently running on US sets that have survived the recent software update.
According to these supervisors, I should have referred to the LG Canada site for my information. Had I done so, however, I still would not have been alerted to the omission. LG Canada's site just says that the set includes "NetCast Entertainment Access" (which every other resource defined to include Netflix). The closest thing to a warning was that "content" varies by region well, sure it does: I didn't expect Vudu, for instance, to work here, because that content is geo-blocked. I did NOT expect *features* to vary by region. In my view, this was a reasonable consumer expectation. I bought a 55LE8500, not a 55LE8500(canada) or a 55LE8501, etc.
Both supervisors, further, refused to investigate and advise whether the LG blu-ray player I bought at the same time also missing the promoted netflix feature would be updated. They didn't know, they didn't care and, no, they would not find out.
I asked for my complaint to be escalated, and was promised a return call by "Marisa", the manager of the executive service department "within 24 to 72 hours". It is now seven days and counting.
I have already returned the blu-ray player and was leaning toward returning the set when the software update bricked it. The response I received to the software update problem made my mind up for me. When I tried to explain why, I believed, there was a defect in the firmware or update process, the rep cut me off. He told me that there was no defect, because he would know if there was one. Then he told me again (without inhaling) and told me a couple of more times. To get the set fixed, I would have to book an appointment with a full day window, and miss a day at work. LG broke my set and, in my view, a company with a real commitment to customer service would find a way to make the remedy less difficult.
At no point in this adventure did I perceive that LG's customer service had a mandate to serve customers.
Ironically, I had a very positive customer service experience wrt an LG CD burner a number of years ago, which had a positive impact on my subsequent decisions to buy an LG DVD player, an LG washing machine, and the items I am now returning.

I completely agree that LG's customer service is a disappointment and I doubt I will be a return customer. Having said that, I decided early on I could live with the banding (which unlike some owners, is quite prominent on my set), and as for the lack of Netflix, well, that's just annoying, especially since I dropped an additional $100 for the wireless USB which is now virtually useless. Netflix has gone over big in my household, so the lack of it on the LG prompted me to drop a further $400 on a second PS3 unit.

Having said that, for the price I paid, the set's still a great deal, and the picture quality remains superior to the competition, warts and all. Will I buy LG again when upgrade time comes in 3-4 years......No. Sony, I'm back...
migel is offline  
post #910 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Morning5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by italy71 View Post

This is for everyone that wants a gaming panel .... do NOT buy the Le8500!
FPS (bad company 2) on the PS3 is horrible, there is a constant flashing that is increased proportionately as trumotion is increased, this only occurs when quick moments are involved which in FPS gaming world is all the time.

Frame Interpolation introduces a lot of artifacts and anomalies in all brands of tv's. For example I own a 120hz Sharp with frame interpolation called Fine Motion Enhanced, and I have always had it disabled for playing games, because it introduces a lot of flickering, grainyness and too much sharpening of the images displayed.

LG's frame interpolation technology is called TruMotion, disable completely this option and see if the quality of your image is better.
Morning5 is offline  
post #911 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Member
 
uubji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I second that if you are going to play games on this tv 240mhz is a crapshoot and it significantly increases the lag and image quality. I have played mw2 fallout 3 and grand theft auto 4 with out any issues. I find gaming on the set to be good if you don't use the presets they are crap. I use only the expert modes calibrated with a combo of the cnet settings and some personal adjustments and this display has excellent picture quality with my ps3.
uubji is offline  
post #912 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Member
 
mttt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachn View Post

Miracles Happen? LG actually posted a new LG XXLE8500 Software Update Version 08.00.02 today and I just successfully downloaded it to my LG55LE8500. I haven't had time to assess what the software changes or additions are yet and hopefully someone will post a good review of this latest Update 08.00.02 ..... LG never seems to inform their customers about anything.... I give LG an "F" for complete lack of communication with their HDTV customers.

Where can I find the update option? I've searched all menus and don't seem to see where I can check my current software version or any option to update. Does it automatically check once turned on? I've tried hardwired through my router as well as straight from the modem and nothing seems to pop-up automatically.
mttt is offline  
post #913 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Senior Member
 
TCDTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttt View Post

Where can I find the update option? I've searched all menus and don't seem to see where I can check my current software version or any option to update. Does it automatically check once turned on? I've tried hardwired through my router as well as straight from the modem and nothing seems to pop-up automatically.

If you want to take your chances with the update, using the remote press menu, then the red button and then select Software Update. If you give it a shot, let us know how it turns out!
TCDTV is offline  
post #914 of 1597 Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Member
 
txskeets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wouldnt risk doing this update until LG at least addresses the issue with the update bricking TV's. I did this update on my 55LE5500 and it completely bricked my set along with many other folks. I was fortunate to be able to exchange my set back at the retailer, but there are many people having issues with this update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttt View Post

Where can I find the update option? I've searched all menus and don't seem to see where I can check my current software version or any option to update. Does it automatically check once turned on? I've tried hardwired through my router as well as straight from the modem and nothing seems to pop-up automatically.

txskeets is offline  
post #915 of 1597 Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Member
 
mrmachine79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttt View Post

I have the 47LE8500 and can really notice the lack of anti-aliasing in some games like Halo Reach. Initially I thought that the xbox 360 wasn't up-scaling correctly due to the visible jaggies. But on-screen text and game/hud menu's are sharp and crisp (it's mainly actual 3d models that have jaggies), so I knew that wasn't the issue. I came from an older sony lcd along with a SD crt so maybe I'm just used to lower res/blurred graphics. The effect I'm noticing is that since many 3D models in-game have visible aliasing, when running around(first person) you get somewhat of a flicker effect in some areas. I see it happening in planes of grass in-game (flicker/offset grainy noise). It's not extremely noticeable, but enough to point out.

Is this similar to the strobe effect your experiencing italy71? I understand that many 360 games run below 720p and don't use anti-aliasing and this is more apparent on larger HD tv's. Could it just be that this TV is so good that you'll notice imperfections in gaming a lot more? Or is this grainy/flicker phenomenon a flaw of this set?

I haven't done any extensive calibration but I intend to. Maybe this will yield better results.

You could try setting the XBOX to 720p and letting the TV scale up to 1080 which might blur out some of the jaggies? You could also try disabling TruMotion completely as others have suggested, or just set "judder" to 0 (as this is what causes the frame interpolation artefacts) and "blur" to whatever setting you find works, if you feel that disabling TruMotion introduces LCD motion blur and reduces the TVs motion resolution.
mrmachine79 is offline  
post #916 of 1597 Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
AnotherDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well, I figured what the hell and decided to call LG on the banding. I spoke with the customer rep last week Wed, explained my banding problem, and he set up an appointment with the LG tech for Monday.

So the LG tech shows up in the LG van, very nice guy. After explaining and showing him the setup's inner grey fields in which you can see the LED-zone-induced irregularities, the guy says that's normal since these TVs use t up tolightbulbs behind the panel ... . But he'll set it up to have somebody else come over, just call cust support to set it up and gives me a case #.

Oh-Kay.

I call cust support, explain the situation, so he call dispatch to get the full story. He comes back with the tech having reported there's nothing worong with the TV set . I explain again what he told me about sending somebody, and the rep is understandably confused, since the tech's report just says the set's OK.

I ask the guy if I can send him a picture of what my OK set looks like, and send him the gray field JPEG with the banding I posted earlier in this thread and puts me on hold while he receives it. He gets back on the phone and tells me, he's definitely sending somebody else to check the set . He puts all these comments on the case, and includes the JPEG for the record. He sets up an appointment with a nearby authorized repair shop for yesterday.

Yesterday the non-LG tech comes. From our chat the chap seems to know his TV tech, and is a very nice guy. He looks at the grey field, looks at some anime scenes with vertical panning, and 10 minutes later was hauling the TV minus the stand to the shop to replace the panel. He said it might take a week.

So no TV for a week or so, I hope no longer! Let's see where this goes, but I'm hopefull ...
AnotherDude is offline  
post #917 of 1597 Old 10-14-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

Well, I figured what the hell and decided to call LG on the banding. I spoke with the customer rep last week Wed, explained my banding problem, and he set up an appointment with the LG tech for Monday.

So the LG tech shows up in the LG van, very nice guy. After explaining and showing him the setup's inner grey fields in which you can see the LED-zone-induced irregularities, the guy says that's normal since these TVs use t up tolightbulbs behind the panel ... . But he'll set it up to have somebody else come over, just call cust support to set it up and gives me a case #.

Oh-Kay.

I call cust support, explain the situation, so he call dispatch to get the full story. He comes back with the tech having reported there's nothing worong with the TV set . I explain again what he told me about sending somebody, and the rep is understandably confused, since the tech's report just says the set's OK.
I ask the guy if I can send him a picture of what my OK set looks like, and send him the gray field JPEG with the banding I posted earlier in this thread and puts me on hold while he receives it. He gets back on the phone and tells me, he's definitely sending somebody else to check the set . He puts all these comments on the case, and includes the JPEG for the record. He sets up an appointment with a nearby authorized repair shop for yesterday.

Yesterday the non-LG tech comes. From our chat the chap seems to know his TV tech, and is a very nice guy. He looks at the grey field, looks at some anime scenes with vertical panning, and 10 minutes later was hauling the TV minus the stand to the shop to replace the panel. He said it might take a week.

So no TV for a week or so, I hope no longer! Let's see where this goes, but I'm hopefull ...

If ALL the panels, due to the way they were designed, have banding problems, what is replacing the panel going to do? I'm so glad after constantly reading the complaints on the LE and LX Forums, that I bought the 55LHX - in fact with the price down again - purchased a second! No Banding, No Highly Reflective Screen, a screen so Black that you can't see the difference between the Panel and the Bezel, and finally a price thousands of dollars cheaper than is being paid for a genuine, problem infested new breed of HD TV from LG! The one problem with the 55LHX - the Media Box degrades the PQ - solution - bypass it and go straight to the Panel from the AVR or Video Equalizer. Check one out, you won't be disappointed. PS. You can't see yourself in the screen reflection when taking pictures of the set! The set is truly LED backlit, not Compromised Backlit!
p5browne is offline  
post #918 of 1597 Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
AnotherDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, most may exhibit banding, but there appears to be a fair amount of latitude in the intensity of the banding from unit to unit. Some have reported their replacement unit was much better. I believe mine was at the more extreme end of the spectrum. And that exactly is what this experiment is all about, since I'm already commited (or will be after I go over the edge ...). Let's see how the second panel turns out.

Back when it gets here.
AnotherDude is offline  
post #919 of 1597 Old 10-14-2010, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
raaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Near the lovely City by the Bay
Posts: 2,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I upgraded the FW to the latest update, and am noticing less banding than before. Horizontal bands are definitely toned down, but instead of seeing banding on vertical panning scenes and fast transitions of solid colored screens, I now see banding only with the fast transitions. A definite improvement.

FWIW, without the latest update, my current unit had a lot more intense banding than the previous unit of the 47LE8500 that I had to return. The current level of banding is the least that I've seen overall.

Good job, LG !!
raaj is offline  
post #920 of 1597 Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
midas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I upgraded the FW to the latest update, and am noticing less banding than before. Horizontal bands are definitely toned down, but instead of seeing banding on vertical panning scenes and fast transitions of solid colored screens, I now see banding only with the fast transitions. A definite improvement.

FWIW, without the latest update, my current unit had a lot more intense banding than the previous unit of the 47LE8500 that I had to return. The current level of banding is the least that I've seen overall.

Good job, LG !!

Raaj, I also have a 47LE8500, and am afraid to upgrade to FW 8 because of the many bricking reports. But I see you made the upgrade successfully. Thanks for posting.
midas89 is offline  
post #921 of 1597 Old 10-15-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Near the lovely City by the Bay
Posts: 2,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

Raaj, I also have a 47LE8500, and am afraid to upgrade to FW 8 because of the many bricking reports. But I see you made the upgrade successfully. Thanks for posting.

FWIW, I used a hardwired ethernet connection, and not wireless. I wonder how many people bricked the TVs by using wireless to update the FW. I'm not sure if the TV supports update using FW downloaded and saved to a USB.
raaj is offline  
post #922 of 1597 Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
JMGNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I too successfully upgraded using a hardwired connection some days ago. The new Netflix UI is a big improvement and have, more importantly, have a lot leas banding than I used to see. It's not completely gone but seems to show up less often and is more subtle when it does.
JMGNYC is offline  
post #923 of 1597 Old 10-15-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
raaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Near the lovely City by the Bay
Posts: 2,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

I too successfully upgraded using a hardwired connection some days ago. The new Netflix UI is a big improvement and have, more importantly, have a lot leas banding than I used to see. It's not completely gone but seems to show up less often and is more subtle when it does.

One movie that I found particularly stressful for this TV in terms of banding is Australia. I'll try to catch it again on HBO to see check out the banding.
raaj is offline  
post #924 of 1597 Old 10-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Morning5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Are the LG XXLE8500 tv's 8-bit, 10-bit or 12-bit?

Thanks,
Morning5.
Morning5 is offline  
post #925 of 1597 Old 10-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
midas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LG has pulled the FM 8 from the updates. I have a 47LE8500, FW 6. I just checked for updates and it said no updates available.
midas89 is offline  
post #926 of 1597 Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

LG has pulled the FM 8 from the updates. I have a 47LE8500, FW 6. I just checked for updates and it said no updates available.

I guess that's going to cost them some bucks in this tight economy, plus the Bad PR! (I assume someone may be out of a job for that lack of quality testing of the new FW!) Think they'll go back to the Techie person having to do the FW updates?
p5browne is offline  
post #927 of 1597 Old 10-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Member
 
Beachn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post

Are the LG XXLE8500 tv's 8-bit, 10-bit or 12-bit?
Thanks,Morning5.

Can somebody please translate German on page 2 of the following linked LG PDF Document for the LG55LE8500 that indicates.... "Farben" ..... "10 Bit" .......

Wondering if this is the answer to Morning5 question above......

http://www.prad.de/pdf/LG_55LE8500.pdf
Beachn is offline  
post #928 of 1597 Old 10-16-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachn View Post

Can somebody please translate German on page 2 of the following linked LG PDF Document for the LG55LE8500 that indicates.... "Farben" ..... "10 Bit" .......

Wondering if this is the answer to Morning5 question above......

http://www.prad.de/pdf/LG_55LE8500.pdf

Farben = colors
undecided is offline  
post #929 of 1597 Old 10-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Morning5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachn View Post

Can somebody please translate German on page 2 of the following linked LG PDF Document for the LG55LE8500 that indicates.... "Farben" ..... "10 Bit" .......

Wondering if this is the answer to Morning5 question above......

http://www.prad.de/pdf/LG_55LE8500.pdf

Thank you Beachn,

Since the LE8500 and LX8500 seem to be the same, minus 3D:

I found that the LG XXLX9500's are 10 Bit (8 Bit + Dithering).

So, is the tv really 10-bit or is it 8-bit + dithering? does anyone know the difference between 10-bit and 8 Bit + dithering and can explain it please?

If the LX9500 is only 8-bit, that would explain the banding because the tv panel can only reproduce a certain amount of color gradation. I had an old Sharp that was 8-bit and obviously it had banding, now I have a newer Sharp LE700 that has a 10-bit panel and there is no banding.

thanks,
Morning5.
Morning5 is offline  
post #930 of 1597 Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post

Thank you Beachn,

Since the LE8500 and LX8500 seem to be the same, minus 3D:


thanks,
Morning5.

Did you mean LE8500 and LX9500

A comparison here shows some other differences - HDMI ports (1.4 vs 1.3) some spec differences in contrast ratio and response time (these are probably meaningless specs anyway) but the thing I still find strange is that the 55LE8500 is 79lbs (I can verify it is heavy) vs ~ 60lbs for 55LX6500 and 55LX9500.

See http://www.lg.com/us/common/compare/...ns%2Findex.jsp
undecided is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off