Official LG XXLE8500 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1597 Old 04-07-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received my LG 55LE8500 on Monday. Its one of the few full LED backlit HDTVs with local dimming to be introduced in 2010. I have been enjoying it for the last couple of days. I saw that several AVS members have purchased the set so a thread on this model is needed. I have been lurking around the LCD and plasma forums for months as I debated which set to buy. I was really interested in the Samsung UN55B8500 but was concerned with its narrow viewing angle as reported by many AVS members.

After I ordered the set but before it was delivered I noticed happy nightmares comment about zone banding and I almost cancelled my order. I decided to go ahead and try it. On my set zone banding is not easily seen within approximately 45 degrees of straight on viewing. However, in sky scenes when I was watching the blu ray version of North by Northwest I did occasionally see zone bands against the sky. At the moment I don't think it is a deal breaker for me. There are not many other options for full LED backlit LCD sets with local dimming in 2010.

My second concern was blooming. On my set blooming is not visible within approximately 30 degrees if straight-on viewing. Blacks are inky. Coming from a Samsung 50" DLP set that glowed the LG is a vast improvement.

My plan is to eventually calibrate the set using ChromaPure with a X-Rite Chroma 5 colorimeter. My Samsung DLP was calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV.

Lets help each other out to get the best from this new LG HDTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1597 Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 PM

excellent, we need more live pictures from this set
post #3 of 1597 Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some photos of my new 55LE8500. These images show how reflective the screen is. I have a wall of windows to the right of the LG and I was worried about reflections. In actual viewing the reflections are less annoying than I thought they would be. Luckily we do most of our viewing at night and reflections should not be a problem.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #4 of 1597 Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some more photos.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #5 of 1597 Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Liked: 37
Nice shots OrangeKid, thanks for posting them (and for opening this thread). Appreciate your initial impressions of the 8500. I am considering the 9500.
post #6 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 AM

thanks for the pics, that tv looks great but, it's a mirror !! :P
post #7 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden2k View Post

thanks for the pics, that tv looks great but, it's a mirror !! :P

Yes the screen is reflective as shown in my last image above. It seems that all LCD sets from the upper tier have reflective screens these days. If I had windows opposite the LG it would not be useable in the daytime.
post #8 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post

Here are some more photos.

Your last picture #15 - I swear to God - it looks exactly like me in the reflection taking the picture! Oh No, there's 2 of us!
post #9 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

If I get the LE8500 or LX9500 this is the reflection I'd get on the set. Directly behind my viewing area is the Patio door leading outside. Come to think of it, I think I'll stick to a Matte Screen for now. I'll wait for the 72" and put it in the Man Cave downstairs. (Actually Wife's Cave where she plays the new Star Trek Movie, over and over!)
LL
post #10 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Since this isn't the first time that an LED set has been plagued with backlight complaints (i.e. Toshiba/Samsung), I wonder if a firmware fix would help solve the issues? At least LG is aware of the issue.

I had the chance to play around with one of these and the only thing I found disappointing was that the picture has a tendency to wash out in bright light due to the screen. Parked next to a 2009 model Panasonic (S series, i think), the Panny actually looked brighter and seemed to preserve black levels better.
post #11 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Your last picture #15 - I swear to God - it looks exactly like me in the reflection taking the picture! Oh No, there's 2 of us!

There can't be two of us. The world could not take it!
post #12 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If I get the LE8500 or LE9500 this is the reflection I'd get on my set. (This is out my back window of my room - and just to make you feel good about the real estate taxes you're paying - this view costs $8000 a year in municipal taxes + sewer and water tax - what's that you say, I'm paying rent not taxes - feels like it!)

Beautiful view. Where do you live? Here is the view of Portland out of our side windows. We just "downsized" from a 3300 square foot house in Vegas to a 1100 square foot condo in Portland. Our real estate taxes will be around $5500/year. But we have no sales tax which makes purchasing an expensive item like the 8500 locally practical.
LL
post #13 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Since this isn't the first time that an LED set has been plagued with backlight complaints (i.e. Toshiba/Samsung), I wonder if a firmware fix would help solve the issues? At least LG is aware of the issue.

I had the chance to play around with one of these and the only thing I found disappointing was that the picture has a tendency to wash out in bright light due to the screen. Parked next to a 2009 model Panasonic (S series, i think), the Panny actually looked brighter and seemed to preserve black levels better.

It seems that the zone banding is caused by horizontal rows of LEDs. It is rarely visible in my case, but does detract form the viewing when it appears. Perhaps LG can improve it with a firmware update, but it looks like a design issue to me.

With regard to bright room viewing, in my case the image is bright enough even when the sun is hitting the solar screen shades on the side. But I have not compared it to other sets. We almost never have the HDTV on during daylight hours. When our son visits he will watch lots of sports at all hours.
post #14 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Thank you for posting those pics, OrangeKid. My set is supposed to arrive on Saturday, so if I get a chance I will post some as well. I'm really hoping the reflective screen won't be an issue in my apartment, there is a sliding door that leads to the patio to the left of the tv, there are vertical blinds but I like to have natural light during the day! Oh well, I guess we'll see...
post #15 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Here are some photos of my new 55LE8500. These images show how reflective the screen is. I have a wall of windows to the right of the LG and I was worried about reflections. In actual viewing the reflections are less annoying than I thought they would be. Luckily we do most of our viewing at night and reflections should not be a problem.

holy sheet that is reflective....wow my 55b8500 certainly has a better ar filter...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #16 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM

OrangeKid,

May I ask what the distance from the base of the TV stand to the bottom of the TV screen (the viewing section, ie. the section above the LG logo). I'm trying to work out if I can place a centre speaker (B&M M1 speaker) there without blocking the TV image.
post #17 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzar View Post

OrangeKid,

May I ask what the distance from the base of the TV stand to the bottom of the TV screen (the viewing section, ie. the section above the LG logo). I'm trying to work out if I can place a centre speaker (B&M M1 speaker) there without blocking the TV image.

The distance from the top of my AV cabinet to the bottom of the screen is 6". The distance from the top of the LG base to the bottom of the screen is 5 3/8". I checked it the other day as I have a center channel speaker that is 7" high. Mine is in the center drawer just below the HDTV.
post #18 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex8246 View Post

Thank you for posting those pics, OrangeKid. My set is supposed to arrive on Saturday, so if I get a chance I will post some as well. I'm really hoping the reflective screen won't be an issue in my apartment, there is a sliding door that leads to the patio to the left of the tv, there are vertical blinds but I like to have natural light during the day! Oh well, I guess we'll see...

I have a whole wall of windows facing south to the right of the set and the windows do not reflect in my set. However the room is so bright during the day that objects in the room are visible on the screen, especially when the set is off.

Good luck with your new set. Let us know how it works in your environment.
post #19 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

holy sheet that is reflective....wow my 55b8500 certainly has a better ar filter...

Someone posted a photo the other day in another thread of these two sets side by side in a store and it appeared that the LG was more reflective.
post #20 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Beautiful view. Where do you live? Here is the view of Portland out of our side windows. We just "downsized" from a 3300 square foot house in Vegas to a 1100 square foot condo in Portland. Our real estate taxes will be around $5500/year. But we have no sales tax which makes purchasing an expensive item like the 8500 locally practical.

Where - Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. From the view I'm seeing in your picture - I assume, to get even with your LG set, you sit facing the windows at night and watch the LE8500 reflected in the window!?
post #21 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Where - Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. From the view I'm seeing in your picture - I assume, to get even with your LG set, you sit facing the windows at night and watch the LE8500 reflected in the window!?

Years ago I spent many a summer doing geological field work in the Sudbury Basin. We loved camping at Killarney Provincial Park. Just west of Sudbury we used to camp at Windy Lake (Provincial Park???).
post #22 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:

If I get the LE8500 or LE9500 this is the reflection I'd get on my set. (This is out my back window of my room - and just to make you feel good about the real estate taxes you're paying - this view costs $8000 a year in municipal taxes + sewer and water tax - what's that you say, I'm paying rent not taxes - feels like it!)

$8000 a year in property tax? Ahh luxury. Don't move to the greater NYC area if you think that is high...
post #23 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Years ago I spent many a summer doing geological field work in the Sudbury Basin. We loved camping at Killarney Provincial Park. Just west of Sudbury we used to camp at Windy Lake (Provincial Park???).

Trying to find an LG Premier Quality model version in Sudbury is next to impossible! Lower ends, older models or Plasmas only. Sears won't even demo anything above a 47", no matter who's brand. Largest displays of LCDs and Plasmas - Costco with a very rare sales rep anywhere and Future Shop with a punk kid rep! Town big on Samsungs, Panasonics and Sony.
By the way, if it's been a few years since you've been to Sudbury - you won't recognize the place anymore!
post #24 of 1597 Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Trying to find an LG Premier Quality model version in Sudbury is next to impossible! Lower ends, older models or Plasmas only. Sears won't even demo anything above a 47", no matter who's brand. Largest displays of LCDs and Plasmas - Costco with a very rare sales rep anywhere and Future Shop with a punk kid rep! Town big on Samsungs, Panasonics and Sony.
By the way, if it's been a few years since you've been to Sudbury - you won't recognize the place anymore!

Last time I was in Sudbury was around 1975, so your right, I probably would not recognize the place. The last time I went camping in Killarney was sometime in the early 80s. Haven't been back since.

AVS and the Internet make getting information on all the new "toys" easier than ever. Internet shopping allows people in smaller cities and towns to to have the same selection as those in big metropolitan areas. Even in Portland there was no display of the 8500 when I ordered my set via the Internet.
post #25 of 1597 Old 04-09-2010, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Because it takes so long to get a new LG like the LE8500 to show up in Canada, we usually end up driving to the BB in Travers City Michigan. Unfortunately, LG doesn't see fit to extend the warranty to those bringing sets back up into Canada, despite the Model not being available here! Good thing, knock on wood, I've never had to have an LG fixed yet! Once the Model does get here, the LG prices, despite the dollar being at par, are usually double the US price! Did manage to pick up my last LG when BB was actually selling it cheaper here than in the US stores. Of course they were conviently `Out of Stock', but got Sears to Price Match - since then, Sears took the LGs out of their lineup!
post #26 of 1597 Old 04-09-2010, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the pics OrangeKid! Great shots, finally a great camera, and btw with the crazy reflectivity on this panel, great condo
post #27 of 1597 Old 04-09-2010, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyorsammy View Post

Thanks for the pics OrangeKid! Great shots, finally a great camera, and btw with the crazy reflectivity on this panel, great condo

We love our new condo. We been in it a little over a month. We still have our house in Vegas. The real estate market in Vegas is a disaster, so we have not put our house up for sale.

For those who live in Canada and are thinking of buying this set in the US, there should be no import duty as the 8500 is assembled in Mexico.
post #28 of 1597 Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

My plan is to eventually calibrate the set using ChromaPure with a X-Rite Chroma 5 colorimeter. My Samsung DLP was calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV.

Lets help each other out to get the best from this new LG HDTV.

Thanks for your posts and pictures. That reflective screen will let me stay with my 55LH90 for now.
Have calibrated with ChromaPure and the Chroma5 with excellent results and do not believe the 8500 will show significant improvements for me.

Attached jpg is the view from my house to the west. The Pacific ocean is 2 miles from here.

With my sincere condolences to those who posted their tax liabilities, my property tax is about $1200/year.
Thanks to Howard Jarvis and Proposition 13.
LL

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #29 of 1597 Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Very nice You guys have some nice views.

--We have the 55LE8500, but my local guy does not. So we can not test one yet. Very excited about this unit.
post #30 of 1597 Old 04-09-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BB in Canada now listing the 55LE8500.
Boy was that quick compared to previous models that we waited months for!
Unfortunately, no BBs in our neighbourhood until about Christmas.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page