post #271 of 800 Old 08-14-2010, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron thorne View Post

I cannot access HDMI black level or Film Mode from my C670. Both are greyed out. Does anyone know how I can enable these? All of the calibration settings say low for HDMI black level and mine is stuck on normal.

film mode is grayed out unless you send it 1080i

it doesn't make sense for 1080p or 720p feeds

HDMI Black Level gets blacked out by certain input sources and locked into the proper setting automatically (or one hopes )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 800 Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

For watching dvd's (not bluray), should the hdmi black level be set to low or normal? It seems that based on the recommendations here, it's best to set it for low when watching SD dvd's. Just wanted to double check here one last time.

what are you using to play them?
that matters a lot
post #273 of 800 Old 08-15-2010, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmastermushxx View Post

Where do you mean exactly, do you mean where the HDMI ports are?

Look under the top vents in the back. I think Samsung puts the panels in upside down, so the sticker should be upside down. You probably have to shine a light through it if you don't want to remove the cover to see the sticker clearly.
post #274 of 800 Old 08-15-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

film mode is grayed out unless you send it 1080i

it doesn't make sense for 1080p or 720p feeds

HDMI Black Level gets blacked out by certain input sources and locked into the proper setting automatically (or one hopes )

Mine is the same. grayed out on normal. All my other tv's i can hook my PS3 up to it and change it to low and then its always at low even when i unhook my ps3. With the C650 though, when my ps3 is hooked up it automatically changes it to low, but when i unhook it, its back to normal and grayed out, lol. So i have no idea how to change it to low.

Ive also noticed my LN46C650 has a lot of stuttering/jerkiness when watching it. I only use it to watch blu ray and directv. Doesnt matter if its in HD or not, still does it. I've tried all the motion settings and i have it on custom now with the two settings at 10 and 0. That seems to help most, but i can still notice it. I even had to turn my blu ray player settings to 1080/60fps. I had to turn the 24fps off because it was so bad.
post #275 of 800 Old 08-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toski View Post

Look under the top vents in the back. I think Samsung puts the panels in upside down, so the sticker should be upside down. You probably have to shine a light through it if you don't want to remove the cover to see the sticker clearly.

Oh, OK, thanks for explaining. I tried what you said, but I couldn't see anything, oh well.
post #276 of 800 Old 08-15-2010, 01:29 PM

Can you please help me decide between the C630 and C650?

Which series seems to have less problems?
Are the LN46s equipped with better processors than the LN40s?

I don't care about connectivity. What is important:
- picture quality
- gaming with PS3

Thank you for sparing some time!
post #277 of 800 Old 08-15-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil3m View Post

Can you please help me decide between the C630 and C650?

Which series seems to have less problems?
Are the LN46s equipped with better processors than the LN40s?

I don't care about connectivity. What is important:
- picture quality
- gaming with PS3

Thank you for sparing some time!

I've had the 630 and i have the 650 now, gaming is bad on both. Lots of stuttering/jerkiness and blurring/ghosting. I play just sports games though on my PS3 and Xbox 360, so it may be diff if you play other games. It may also depend on the model though, but both i've had it wasnt good.
Picture Quality is Really good though.
post #278 of 800 Old 08-15-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan2502 View Post

I've had the 630 and i have the 650 now, gaming is bad on both. Lots of stuttering/jerkiness and blurring/ghosting. I play just sports games though on my PS3 and Xbox 360, so it may be diff if you play other games. It may also depend on the model though, but both i've had it wasnt good.

That's really bad news for me - I play mainly sports games.

Do you have any reason to believe it's specific to your unit? Did you try different calibrations?

The C750 is literally double the price, so I'm not sure what to do. Other brands don't seem to come close in terms of picture quality...
post #279 of 800 Old 08-15-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:

That's really bad news for me - I play mainly sports games.

Do you have any reason to believe it's specific to your unit? Did you try different calibrations?

The C750 is literally double the price, so I'm not sure what to do. Other brands don't seem to come close in terms of picture quality...

There arent very many collaborations to try but i have tried two or three diff. sets. Nothing seemed to fix it. I have an AA01 so i'm not sure about all the others and if they do it or not. Again, PQ is GREAT, but gaming is not IMO. Get some feedback from other people first before making a decision. I also bought the Sony 2010 model in the same price range and the PQ was horrible compared to the Samsung. I don't know what to tell you. Buy whatever locally that way you can take it back if you don't like it. Thats what i did at Best Buy and i ended up taking 2 tv's back (Sony model and the 630), lol, but kept the 650 because the PQ was really good for movies and Directv HD. I also love that i can stream Netflix and Amazon On Demand. I am using my older 2007 model samsung for gaming since it works fine, a lot better than the 2010 models anyway.
post #280 of 800 Old 08-15-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:

There arent very many collaborations to try but i have tried two or three diff. sets. Nothing seemed to fix it. I have an AA01 so i'm not sure about all the others and if they do it or not. Again, PQ is GREAT, but gaming is not IMO. Get some feedback from other people first before making a decision. I also bought the Sony 2010 model in the same price range and the PQ was horrible compared to the Samsung. I don't know what to tell you. Buy whatever locally that way you can take it back if you don't like it. Thats what i did at Best Buy and i ended up taking 2 tv's back (Sony model and the 630), lol, but kept the 650 because the PQ was really good for movies and Directv HD. I also love that i can stream Netflix and Amazon On Demand. I am using my older 2007 model samsung for gaming since it works fine, a lot better than the 2010 models anyway.

thanks for taking the time to help me out!

hopefully some people can give feedback.

I want to buy it from amazon as it is $100 cheaper than BB, but their return policy is great so I'm not worried.
post #281 of 800 Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:

I want to buy it from amazon as it is $100 cheaper than BB, but their return policy is great so I'm not worried.

Yeah after taking back the other two to best buy i bought my LN46C650 from amazon for around $900. $200 cheaper than locally and Best Buy didnt even carry it in the store. They only carry the 670, which i think is the same pretty much as the 650.
post #282 of 800 Old 08-16-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:

I own a C650 with AA01 panel. Stuttering is an absolute shocker. It is similar to my 2008 R81 TV. I expect it to improve all these years but to my eyes there is no difference in blurring/stuttering between those sets. Even slight movements produce stuttering, let alone fast movements in gaming. Really disappointed. NB My C650 has 100MHz motionflow not 120MHz so cant speak for the 120MHz ones.

Contrast is good, but lacks detail in dark areas. Bad backlight bleeding. Glossy screen. I would prefer the sony EX500 series.

Hope this helps.
post #283 of 800 Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 AM

I will be selling my C650 for an EX500 hopefully this week.
post #284 of 800 Old 08-16-2010, 04:34 PM

I have the LN46C630 and I love it. I play alot of games on it and I think they look great. I turn off all the extra options when gaming like auto motion. The factory presets are total rubbish though for the most part, but you can get a great picture just messing with the basic settings like contrast, backlight, color, color tone. From what I've read the 650 has an even glossier screen than the 630, which is somewhat glossy, and has support for things like Netflix. I'm honestly surprised to hear people think it's bad for gaming.
post #285 of 800 Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ01 View Post

I own a C650 with AA01 panel. Stuttering is an absolute shocker. It is similar to my 2008 R81 TV. I expect it to improve all these years but to my eyes there is no difference in blurring/stuttering between those sets. Even slight movements produce stuttering, let alone fast movements in gaming. Really disappointed. NB My C650 has 100MHz motionflow not 120MHz so cant speak for the 120MHz ones.

Contrast is good, but lacks detail in dark areas. Bad backlight bleeding. Glossy screen. I would prefer the sony EX500 series.

Hope this helps.

Is there anyway to fix this with a firmware update? I have the same model and panel and mine does the same thing.
post #286 of 800 Old 08-16-2010, 07:23 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to these forums. I have a LN46c630 AA02 panel TV. It's only a few days old and I've been trying to calibrate it by eye mostly although I used the THX optimizer on a DVD I had. I see a lot of people using warm 2 as the color tone, but everytime I select that I notice the whites to start looking brown or yellowish. Has anyone else noticed this? I've been using warm 1 pretty much because I like the brighter whites, although there is some blue push with that even. I've tried several setups posted in this thread but nothing seems to be working well for my TV. I'm wondering if there's something I should try with either tone that could get my whites to actually be white. Thanks.
post #287 of 800 Old 08-17-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver723 View Post

Hi guys, I'm new to these forums. I have a LN46c630 AA02 panel TV. It's only a few days old and I've been trying to calibrate it by eye mostly although I used the THX optimizer on a DVD I had. I see a lot of people using warm 2 as the color tone, but everytime I select that I notice the whites to start looking brown or yellowish. Has anyone else noticed this? I've been using warm 1 pretty much because I like the brighter whites, although there is some blue push with that even. I've tried several setups posted in this thread but nothing seems to be working well for my TV. I'm wondering if there's something I should try with either tone that could get my whites to actually be white. Thanks.

I experienced the same thing with my LE32C630 (LE = europe's PAL model), I don't know which panel I have though. So I just used the 'warm1' setting as it looks more natural to me. With 'warm 2' yellow is pushed way too much and people's faces started to look like they all had hepatitis. With the 'normal' setting blue was pushed too much, and that couldn't be fixed by adjusting the RGB levels. So all in all I used Skibum's settings as a starting point with adjustments to my liking, maybe that's not according to standards but it looks more natural to me.
post #288 of 800 Old 08-17-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundundata View Post

I have the LN46C630 and I love it. I play alot of games on it and I think they look great. I turn off all the extra options when gaming like auto motion. The factory presets are total rubbish though for the most part, but you can get a great picture just messing with the basic settings like contrast, backlight, color, color tone. From what I've read the 650 has an even glossier screen than the 630, which is somewhat glossy, and has support for things like Netflix. I'm honestly surprised to hear people think it's bad for gaming.

well I noticed that gaming on it is better when using game mode. otherwise there is noticeable lag between when you press a button and the game to react to that. but again with my set there is some color issues that can be noticed although for the most part they are pretty good using the game mode.
post #289 of 800 Old 08-17-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:

Is it really that bad for gaming?
post #290 of 800 Old 08-19-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident_Lisa View Post

Is it really that bad for gaming?

From my experience it was. I'm not paying that much money and it not work properly.
post #291 of 800 Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 AM

Try putting it into game mode (with your color adjustments).
post #292 of 800 Old 08-19-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Try putting it into game mode (with your color adjustments).

I still had a lot of lag or ghosting. I'm getting my panel replaced next week to fix my stuttering/jerkiness when watching tv and blu ray's, plus its suppose to fix my clouding thats in the middle of the tv. Hopefully this will also fix the gaming issues as well.
post #293 of 800 Old 08-20-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I SO want to believe you

Everybody seems to agree that it has no competition in terms of PQ, but the "stuttering" is reported by many as well.

Gaming will be a big part of my usage. Do you play sports games at all? smooth?
post #294 of 800 Old 08-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver723 View Post

well I noticed that gaming on it is better when using game mode. otherwise there is noticeable lag between when you press a button and the game to react to that. but again with my set there is some color issues that can be noticed although for the most part they are pretty good using the game mode.

wow, that's extreme ...

so game mode takes care of it?

I'm really stretched for cash and this is a HUGE purchase for me. I play many sports games mainly and can't figure out whether people have supernatural vision or the TV is really bad.

The EX500 is more expensive and people are not saying anything particularly impressive about PQ
post #295 of 800 Old 08-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:

wow, that's extreme ...

I'm really stretched for cash and this is a HUGE purchase for me. I play many sports games mainly and can't figure out whether people have supernatural vision or the TV is really bad.

The EX500 is more expensive and people are not saying anything particularly impressive about PQ

well that's what I've noticed at least. It's about a half second lag when not in game mode, but when it is on then there's no lag that I notice. and I haven't run into any stuttering while in game mode either, everything seems to run real smooth. only issues I've been having is dark areas being a little too dark and a proper grayscale calibration I hope will help with that. also while playing Elder Scrolls Oblivion (old game I know) while turning there is some blur that occurs but it's manageable. I chalk both of these up to the fact that it's an LCD display. but I think overall it give's a decent performance for gaming. now this is my first HDTV and I've only ever seen LCD panels so I dont have a great reference point. I'm sure there is something better out there for gaming. I hear plasma's can be pretty good for gaming and are usually cheaper than LCDs.
post #296 of 800 Old 08-21-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:

In what ways are the PQ bad on the Sony? To me the Sony looks pretty good, at least the blacks dont wash out at an angle like the Samsung and it has good detail in dark scenes.
post #297 of 800 Old 08-21-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:

wow, that's extreme ...

If I were you I would wait a couple more years for the LED technology to mature or if you desperately need it now buy a plasma
post #298 of 800 Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:

In what ways are the PQ bad on the Sony? To me the Sony looks pretty good, at least the blacks dont wash out at an angle like the Samsung and it has good detail in dark scenes.

Sony seems to use some sort of extra diffuser or sheet on the EX500 that Samsung doesn't on the C630. The EX500 would "wash out" faster than the C630, but the blacks were deeper.
post #299 of 800 Old 08-21-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Well to me the Picture was very dark. I like a lot of POP. I couldnt get it to that, even after trying numerous user settings. The PQ didnt seem as crisp as the Samsung models. Again, its my opinion so it may be diff. to others. Everyone has there own tastes. Plus i like the Glossy screen better than the Matte on the sony. The Glossy screen looks brighter to me, which i like. It does have more reflections, but as long as you dont have any lights on or windows open, its fine.
post #300 of 800 Old 08-28-2010, 11:20 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know if anything can be done about lines being rendered like that (pics below) when displaying a non-HD soccer game? (this is an LN46C630)

Help would be appreciated!

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page