AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident_Lisa View Post

What does the Dynamic Contrast Option?

It's an on the fly contrast adjustment. If you don't want the auto functions messing with your settings, leave it off. If your TV is calibrated, leave it off.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by connerdmc View Post

These tv's come with the test patterns and built in RGB filters but, no instructions as to how to use them. What is Samsung thinking? If your gonna include the tools, you should include the instructions/training for using them. Even just pics of what the color pattern should look like with the filters applied when it's set correctly. Can anyone help me out here? Should the color pattern with the red filter applied look red (same shade) everywhere and black (uniformly) where it is black? Same for the blue and green filters? If so the settings posted in the calibration thread are close but, not correct for my environment and tv. any comments or help would be appreciated.

I have bought a Samsung LE40C630 with SQ03 pannel. Like connerdmc, I have tried to check some of the settings posted here with the expert patterns provided by Samsung, but I don't know how the color pattern should look like with the different filters. Can anyone give me some hints on this?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macauto View Post
I have bought a Samsung LE40C630 with SQ03 pannel. Like connerdmc, I have tried to check some of the settings posted here with the expert patterns provided by Samsung, but I don't know how the color pattern should look like with the different filters. Can anyone give me some hints on this?

Thanks in advance for any help
Read page 15 of the GetGray manual.

GetGrayCalDiscReadme.pdf 455.4248046875k . file

Buzz

Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 PM

Anyone have any hints or advice for alleviating black crush? The detail levels in dark scenes on my c630 are pretty nonexistent.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminous View Post

Anyone have any hints or advice for alleviating black crush? The detail levels in dark scenes on my c630 are pretty nonexistent.

Turn up the brightness. Brightness controls black level.

Buzz

Old 10-29-2010, 03:07 AM

That is my major issue with this set so far. The problem is that cranking up brightness tends to wash out the other dark areas. Is this something that is corrected with calibration or just a weakness of this model? Do the 7 and 8 series do any better?
Thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you using a pluge pattern when setting the brightness? If not, you're just guessing. My panel is a 40C630 SQ02 and black levels are very good. The only "wash out" I get is from off angle viewing and there's is nothing that can be done about that.

Buzz

Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 AM

i use my brightness at 40
Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Contrast 96
Brightness 47

Do it with patterns, though. Every display is different and it's the only way to do it correctly.

Buzz

Old 10-29-2010, 07:52 PM

thanks for that. brightness helps the crush but washes out the image a little bit. you got anything for that? and while we're at it, what about bands? you got a fix for bands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Turn up the brightness. Brightness controls black level.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:06 PM

Okay guys I need help here.

I just bought the C670 LCD 46". Loved it in the store. Great detail and color. Sure looked nifty when playing sports and behind the scenes videos in the store.

Well I don't play games or watch a lot of Cable (Reality shows or News etc.) TV - I mainly watch movies or older shows shot on film. When i got it home and started watching standard DVD on it (still waiting on the blu ray player) ... it just looked weird.

Everything moves too fluid, almost like it's at 1.5 speed, sometimes sound fall out of synch by a few frames here and there, and every film I throw at it has a 'video' quality to it. The 'soap opera' effect or camcorder look. It's distracting me to the point where I can't watch movies. Just bugs the heebie jeebies outta me. How do I adjust this thing to make movies look like... MOVIES?

Or is this just inherent in LCD and I should look at exchanging for a plasma? Or worse still just go back to my Sony 32" CRT where at least video looked like video and film looked like film?

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Go into the menu and turn the AMP setting to off. I think it is set to standard by default. This should reduce the soap opera look.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post

That is my major issue with this set so far. The problem is that cranking up brightness tends to wash out the other dark areas. Is this something that is corrected with calibration or just a weakness of this model? Do the 7 and 8 series do any better?
Thanks

FWIW, the cnet review of this TV mentioned that shadow detail is unexceptional. I too notice that the details in really dark blacks just don't show up very well even after calibration.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:03 PM

I just got the 46c630 and I have used a few of the posted settings here for movie mode but it just seems a little off. The back of my tv says version no AA06, so I guess I have an A panel. I adjusted movie mode but it looks very dull and light compared to the factory "natural" mode. Am I just blind? Natural looks so much better. I really want to get the most out of my set and have the best picture, so I must be doing something wrong.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:38 AM

Got hold of a LA40C630 SS01 panel yesterday. Should be calibrating the display tonight.

PS: This is my first post in the forums although I've been lurking around since the past 1 year. Many thanks to the users of this forums for their valuable suggestions.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy416 View Post

...so I must be doing something wrong.

No, you're probably not doing anything wrong. The "movie" mode is like that... I got LN40C610 and it's what you would describe "dull" in the movie mode compared to the other "vivid" modes. Not sure what TV set you had before, but my Sony's (Wega CRT 34") movie mode is the same way compared to other modes.

It's what you prefer and what you get used to. I am sure that the picture in the movie theater is closer to the TV's "movie" mode than to any of the other Natural or Dynamic modes. And in all honesty, the mode is just fine... probably more real life like ... than all the other colorful contrast-full dynamic modes.

That said I modified the Standard mode to give less "pop" to the overall picture... get a bit darker tones etc and still keep a bit of "vividness" for watching movies. I don't like "dull" either However, watching anime is awesome in Natural mode / 120hz
Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Hello all,

Can anyone please advise how the "10 point white balance" comes into play when calibrating ?

For example, if I have a light meter and the DVE disc ... which of the DVE sub menu test images apply to the "10 point white balance" function ??

Thanks all,

j.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs View Post

Hello all,

Can anyone please advise how the "10 point white balance" comes into play when calibrating ?

For example, if I have a light meter and the DVE disc ... which of the DVE sub menu test images apply to the "10 point white balance" function ??

Thanks all,

j.

You need a colorimeter or a spectrophotometer AND software. You need grayscale patterns 10 - 100 IRE in 10 degree increments. This should explain most of it to you.

Buzz

Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziimen View Post

No, you're probably not doing anything wrong. The "movie" mode is like that... I got LN40C610 and it's what you would describe "dull" in the movie mode compared to the other "vivid" modes. Not sure what TV set you had before, but my Sony's (Wega CRT 34") movie mode is the same way compared to other modes.

It's what you prefer and what you get used to. I am sure that the picture in the movie theater is closer to the TV's "movie" mode than to any of the other Natural or Dynamic modes. And in all honesty, the mode is just fine... probably more real life like ... than all the other colorful contrast-full dynamic modes.

That said I modified the Standard mode to give less "pop" to the overall picture... get a bit darker tones etc and still keep a bit of "vividness" for watching movies. I don't like "dull" either However, watching anime is awesome in Natural mode / 120hz

I had a 720p tv before this one and I was easily able to calibrate it. This one anything I do when I start on movie mode make the picture very light. Like there is a flashlight behind everything. I am watching the world series and on movie mode it looks like they are playing in fog or smoke.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:56 AM

Buzzard767, I have used the calibration settings mentioned in your latest post and found them to be pretty good. The blacks have come out pretty well indeed.

Would you actually recommend the same settings for viewing in a dark room with low-light ambient conditions? Besides, I could not notice which panel was these settings used for. I believe they should hold good for my LA40C630 as well - please correct me if I am wring!

Besides, the Motion plus 100Hz was pretty much giving a soap opera effect whilst watching the movies despite using the standard mode. Is there anything we could do to lessen this effect? In a way that it isn't perceivable to the human eye.

TIA
Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Are you using a pluge pattern when setting the brightness? If not, you're just guessing. My panel is a 40C630 SQ02 and black levels are very good. The only "wash out" I get is from off angle viewing and there's is nothing that can be done about that.

The image that panel produces is also very soft compared to the AA01 version. I would recommend anyone purchasing this TV to try and find an AA01.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu View Post

Buzzard767, I have used the calibration settings mentioned in your latest post and found them to be pretty good. The blacks have come out pretty well indeed.

Would you actually recommend the same settings for viewing in a dark room with low-light ambient conditions? Besides, I could not notice which panel was these settings used for. I believe they should hold good for my LA40C630 as well - please correct me if I am wring!

Besides, the Motion plus 100Hz was pretty much giving a soap opera effect whilst watching the movies despite using the standard mode. Is there anything we could do to lessen this effect? In a way that it isn't perceivable to the human eye.

TIA

I calibrated the set in very dark conditions and a backlight setting of 5 was what I came up with. For daytime viewing I bump the backlight up to about 15. We haven't been watching movies with this set and I keep the auto settings off at all times so I can't comment on Motion Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post

The image that panel produces is also very soft compared to the AA01 version. I would recommend anyone purchasing this TV to try and find an AA01.

If "that panel" refers to the SQ02 I don't get it. My SQ02 is about as good as a picture can get. It's too bad we can't put the variety of panels side by side and see once and for all exactly what the differences are under varying conditions.

As an aside, Saturday I took delivery of an X-Rite i1Pro Spectrophotometer and the next time I calibrate the 630 I'll be using it as a reference meter for a little more accuracy. The 630 now has a few hundred hours on it so I expect that the calibration numbers I come up with will be a little different and hopefully better than those I have previously posted.

Buzz

Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:

...like they are playing in fog or smoke.

Well it shouldn't be that bad... "movie" mode colors by default are lighter, less saturated etc... Care posting a pic?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:42 PM

I would also add that 'movie mode' is intended for a very dark - lights out viewing environment.

J.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:35 PM

Well, I am sure I am exaggerating a bit, but when I was watching my Rangers lose last night I was changing from Natural to Movie. Each time the movie mode seemed much lighter, especially when the camera was filming at a distance. (behind the pitcher). It was not just the colors that were more dim, but the entire screen gets lighter. The TV is in a living room, and there are windows but it was dark outside and we did not have any lights on. I guess I will just try to play with the settings more. I just want dark blacks, good color and good detail. I would like to find one setting we can keep it on all of the time, but I guess that is not how it works. It would just be easier for the family. I will try posting a picture, but it might take me a while.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Well, I am sure I am exaggerating a bit, but when I was watching my Rangers lose last night I was changing from Natural to Movie. Each time the movie mode seemed much lighter, especially when the camera was filming at a distance. (behind the pitcher). It was not just the colors that were more dim, but the entire screen gets lighter. The TV is in a living room, and there are windows but it was dark outside and we did not have any lights on. I guess I will just try to play with the settings more. I just want dark blacks, good color and good detail. I would like to find one setting we can keep it on all of the time, but I guess that is not how it works. It would just be easier for the family. I will try posting a picture, but it might take me a while.

Try Standard instead of Natural for 'all-around' viewing. Natural is pushing colors up so much it's ridiculous (check something red for comparison), and sets the backlight all the way up to 20, compared to Standard's 14. Even then, you'll probably want to bring it down a little (more like 10). You'd think that Natural would be somewhere in the middle of Standard and Movie, but it doesn't seem to be the case, to me anyway.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollismb View Post

Try Standard instead of Natural for 'all-around' viewing. Natural is pushing colors up so much it's ridiculous (check something red for comparison), and sets the backlight all the way up to 20, compared to Standard's 14. Even then, you'll probably want to bring it down a little (more like 10). You'd think that Natural would be somewhere in the middle of Standard and Movie, but it doesn't seem to be the case, to me anyway.

I will try Standard and adjust from there. I did make some adjustments to the Natural one and lowered most of the settings. The only thing that I did not like about Standard is the screen kept auto adjusting the brightness, but I guess that can be turned off in that mode.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I will try Standard and adjust from there. I did make some adjustments to the Natural one and lowered most of the settings. The only thing that I did not like about Standard is the screen kept auto adjusting the brightness, but I guess that can be turned off in that mode.

Check the ECO settings or the Dynamic Contract (or both) under the Picture Options. Definitely make sure all those ECO settings are OFF, otherwise you'll see considerable dimming in a dark room, all of a sudden. Dynamic Contrast will adjust contrast based on the image itself, which gives more 'pop' but still can be noticeable/annoying to some.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:

That's what I did for watching movies... tweaked Standard. Less backlight (6), gamma minus 1, color tone darker etc. Also, yes, all ECO to off. And hopefully you didn't make the same mistake that I did, playing with the Demo Mode and thinking I can just turn it off ... lol. I needed to reset the TV to get it to the normal Home Use mode.