AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung LNxxC630 Calibration/Settings Thread

321K views 799 replies 190 participants last post by  Sanguix 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I know there is currently an owners thread for the C630/C650 but I wanted to create this thread for people to post the best settings they have found for the C630 specifically.

Also, please include weather it is best settings for gaming or HD programming or sports or movies.

We will try to decide and pick the best ones for each category.

Thanks!

#402 ·
I would appreciate it if anyone can coach me how to best set up my PS3 for blu ray playback.

Currently my settings are as follows (connected to HDMI1 in non-pc mode)

Video Settings

BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr

BD 1080p 24hz Output (HDMI) Automatic

Display Settings

Cross Color Reduction Filter off

RGB Full Range (HDMI) Limited

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) On

Deep Color Output (HDMI) Automatic

Earlier in the post in was mentioned that HDMI Black Level is greyed out when the signal is not RGB. That got me wondering, should I be in RGB?

Any tips would be welcome.

In addition, I use my PS3 to stream HD (mkv) content from my laptop.

Edit

I just realized that while the PS3 is in XMB and in the process of playing games, HDMI black level is not greyed out and automatically sets to low, presumably because the TV knows the PS3 is set to RGB Limited.

Unless there is another reason I'm overlooking, I'll keep my settings as posted above.

#403 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollismb /forum/post/19430043

Mike, since you've had both A and S panels, I know you've noted that the off angle viewing on the S was better, but how much better are we talking? Slightly better? A lot better?

None of these TVs look all that great from more than about 30 degrees off center. The S is better than the A, but there's really not a huge difference. If off angle viewing is important, you're probably better off going with a plasma display.

Quote:
how would you compare the A panel to other TVs in general?

It has the best *resolution* of any LCD I've seen, but I haven't seen any 7 series Samsung displays.

Quote:
didn't you determine that the SQ01 panels were the newer pixel type?

The are two new types of S-PVA panels, one has RGB subpixels shaped like 3 towers of vertical wedges:

R G B

^ ^ ^

^ ^ ^

^ ^ ^

The other has simple rectangular RGB subpixels ||| like Sharp panels have. As far as I can tell, these types are only used in larger (46"+) and higher end (7+ series) Samsung TVs. The only way to get rectangular subpixels in a lower end Samsung LCD is to buy a model that uses an A panel.

#404 ·
New Numbers

First of all, I installed FW 1010.0, FW version date 10/21/2010. This results in a factory reset of all custom inputs so I started with a clean slate.

The display is a 40C630 with an SQ02 panel, Tijuana, Mexico manufacture date of April, 2010.

I have a new X-Rite i1Pro Spectroradiometer and I used it to profile my Chroma 5 Colorimeter from which the measurements were taken in a dark invironment. This equipment and procedure is, to the best of my knowledge, approved by ISF for professional calibrations. I use ChromaPure software and the patterns were input from a Blu-Ray player into HDMI1.

The results are very satisfactory. When you look at the pdf file, the Delta E (dE) numbers are all 2 or less indicating that deviation from the HD standards are not visually perceptible.

The colors green and red are slightly undersaturated and this is due to the limits of the display in keeping with colors not being clipped.

For those of you with SQ02 panels, these numbers may improve your picture. I bumped the gamma a bit for night time viewing but the backlight can be increased from 5 to around 10 or so for daytime without doing too much degradation of the overall picture.

Subjectively, my Blu-Ray standard content is outstanding. I transferred the numbers to the TV input (I have RG-6 connected to the TV - no cable box) and am 100% satisfied. If you try these numbers I hope you see some improvement although if you've read my previous posts you know that I'm not a big fan of using other's numbers - all displays are different!

Edit: Link to new (3-15-2011) Cal-Day settings: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=699

Source: HDMI1

Mode: Movie

Backlight: 5

Contrast: 94

Brightness: 46

Sharpness: 0

Color: 46

Tint (G/R): G50/R50

Eco Solution: All off

Advanced Settings

Black Tone: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Shadow Detail: 0

Gamma: +1

Expert Pattern: Off

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color Space: Custom

Red R60, G0, B0

Green R22, G63, B0

Blue R4, B5, B88

Yellow R53, G51, B0

Cyan R19, G50, G52

Magenta R53, G0, B66

White Balance:

Red offset 25

G 25

B 25

Red Gain 30

G 34

B 30

10 Pt white balance on

1) R3, G2, B-1

2) R3, G3, B0

3) R1, G2, B1

4) R2, G1, B0

5) R-1, G-2, B-1

6) R-1, G-3, B-2

7) R-2, G-3, B-3

8) R1, G2, B1

9) R0, G-2, B-1

10) R-2, G0, B-2

Flesh Tone: 0

Edge Enhancement: Off

Picture Options:

Color Tone: Warm 2`

Size: 19:9

Digital Noise Filter: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

Film Mode; Off

Auto Motion Plus 120hz: Standard

Auto Protection Time: 2 hours

40C630 11-05-2010.pdf 158.8857421875k . file

Attachments

#407 ·
Thank you all for your help so far. I am still trying to adjust the settings, and I am using the disc I burned from here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19419370 but I do have a few questions.

So far I have just been using this to watch HD TV. I have not had a chance to pay any blu rays for an extended period of time. Here are my questions/comments.

The left 1/3 of the TV seems brighter in dark scenes. It also looks like detail is lost there. Peoples hair specifically looks smudgy/blotchy. I am not very far from the center of the TV.

The picture seems jumpy/jittery sometimes. I am not sure what the difference between smooth, clear and standard are, on Auto Motion Plus, so I am having a hard time deciding on which if any are ideal. I still see blocking/artifacts (not sure what it is called) sometimes when there is movement, normally when the scene is up-close. The manufacture says “No Blur”, maybe I don’t know what that is, because I seem to see blur.

When I used the calibration disc I tried it on Movie and Standard. For the blue screen color on movie I had to increase the color to 51, but on Standard I had to decrease the color to 35. Is this normal when they both started at 50?

Should I set the screen size to Screen Fit instead of 16:9? It looks like Screen Fit displays more picture. I tried this on the calibration disc and on a Disney blu ray TV setup.

The manual is not very helpful in describing what Film Mode and the Auto Motion Plus settings actually do, or why you would want one over the other.

#408 ·
Use 'screen fit' whenever you can ... it is more accurate == bit for bit ... HD broadcasts may show some white lines at the edges ... that is embedded data/info ... set it to 16:9 if you see that , and the lines will go away ... but it overscans/zooms 5% or so in 16/9 tho ...

J.

#410 ·
I used buzzard 767 newest settings and the colors are fairly accurate. I am running directtv via hdmi and have auto motion off. I also put the dynamic contrast to low and gave sharpness a 7 for sd viewing since not all programming is hd. I still find it very muted and the picture seems a bit greenish during dark scenes sometimes. Any suggestions? I have the 40c630 with the aa panel.

#411 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust /forum/post/19360244

I still have not been able to find anyone that has calibrated a 55" AA02. Has anyone come across one yet?

Can anyone help me out with this? I have not been able to find anyone that has gotten a ln55c630 calibrate in 55" with an AA02. I have tried a few of the setting for other 630s and 650s and have not been that happy with them.

I am going to get it calibrated eventually and am looking for some decent settings to hold me over.

I know using another persons settings is not ideal, but I used some setting posted here on our 63c7000 and they look great.

#414 ·
I have seen this question asked before but was unsure if a concrete answer was given.

Let's say I have my PS3/Blu Ray player hooked up to HDMI1 and calibrated to Buzz's settings. If I move my PS3/Blu Ray player to HDMI2 and transplant/clone/copy/duplicate the calibration settings from HDMI1 to HDMI2, will the picture be the "same"?

I don't have any labels set to HDMI1 or HDMI2 (PC or otherwise).

#415 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrkrft /forum/post/19453273

I have seen this question asked before but was unsure if a concrete answer was given.

Let's say I have my PS3/Blu Ray player hooked up to HDMI1 and calibrated to Buzz's settings. If I move my PS3/Blu Ray player to HDMI2 and transplant/clone/copy/duplicate the calibration settings from HDMI1 to HDMI2, will the picture be the "same"?

I don't have any labels set to HDMI1 or HDMI2 (PC or otherwise).

I doubt if you'll see any difference. The calibration patterns were from a Blu-Ray player hooked up to HDMI1. I copied the settings to HDMI2 (Roku Box - think NetFlix) and to the cable antennae input where cable TV is viewed via RG-6 cable - no STB. Visually, all three inputs look the same to me. If I find some spare time I'll do grayscale and color gamut measurements with the two HDMI inputs representing the "before" and "after". That should confirm it, at least for HDMI.

#416 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/19439097

New Numbers

First of all, I installed FW 1010.0, FW version date 10/21/2010. This results in a factory reset of all custom inputs so I started with a clean slate.

If you try these numbers I hope you see some improvement although if you've read my previous posts you know that I'm not a big fan of using other's numbers - all displays are different!

Mucho thanks Buzz, I agree, no tv's can be exactly alike, but your numbers gives me a great starting point. But, to be honest, this last set of numbers works brilliantly with my set. Latetest firware update 1010.0 and I have a LN55C630 with the SQ01 panel.

#417 ·
Hi, all. Brand newb to the board.

I'm just getting back into HT after an extended absence (my bank account thanks me!) and decided to pick up a 60C630.

I'm coming from an 8 year old Panasonic 53" CRT RPTV and pretty much all of my setup is based on what was popular almost a decade ago. Needless to say, all of my video connections are component with outputs of 1080i (cable) and 480P (DVD).

The only calibration tool I have is a "Sound and Vision Home Theater Setup" DVD. It does have a blue filter for color/tint adjustments but it is squarely DVD resolution.

Questions for the board:

1.) Should I even bother with checking my tint/colors/brightness with the DVD given that its 480P running through component? My main concern is getting the colors right for HD viewing via cable.

2.) I've tried copying some of the settings posted thus far and the colors seem quite washed out versus what I'm used to (my RPTV was properly calibrated). If I try to verify my settings vs the aforementioned DVD, I do find the color saturation to be way low (the DVD patterns recommend color levels in the low 60's which seems ridiculously high). Could this be solely attributable to the fact that I'm using component cables in 1080i instead of hdmi at 1080P (the parameters for most of the settings posted), or is the DVD I'm using for reference just totally irrelevant at this point?

I know enough not to trust just my eyes but the DVD patterns have me totally confused...

Thanks for any help in advance!

#418 ·
I'd say forget about it for now ... if you aren't using HDMI ... i've always found hdmi (versus component) to have a MUCH different look. AND no one has calibrated the 60 inch (Sharp based) panel yet ... different beasts altogether imho.

Personally, I'm waiting for someone who has the same LN60C630 panel , before I'd consider trying someone else's calibration settings. Reason being, that our 60 inchers are distinctly different panels (60"== x-gen Sharp) than the 40,46,55 ... those smaller panels are NOT Sharp x-gen to my knowledge.

My 02 only, J.

#419 ·
Two days after my last reply in which I indicated Buzz's settings looked fantastic on my SQ02 panel, I return here to report that I exchanged my SQ02 for an AA based panel. While the SQ display had beautiful blacks, the image was not sharp enough for my liking.

Now I'm stuck with a panel that doesn't have many calibration settings (I counted one in this thread which I am not 100% pleased with).

Instead of sitting on my hands waiting for someone to post pro calibration settings for an AA panel, I was wondering what cost effective options I have to calibrate the image myself. I would prefer a cheap solution that doesn't involve any additional instruments - primarily because I'm a noob and don't want to learn the science of TV calibration, and secondarily because a colorimeter is most certainly out of my budget this time of the year.

Do any common BD's have a calibration function?

#422 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs /forum/post/19460634

You could always download a freeware video pattern test disc ... and do an eye-ball job ... that is certainly better than nothing ... but will likely only give you a contrast/brightness settings improvement ... all imho.

J.

I agree. Get the AVCHD (.exe) free download here . Under Basic Patterns use #1 and 3 for brightness and contrast. 17 & 234 are the only numbers you need to know for those two patterns. If you have a blue filter or if your TV has a blue only mode you can use the flashing color bars for color saturation and hue. This is all any calibration disc is good for except two things: 1) sharpness which is a moot point when viewing high definition, and 2) white and primary color clipping - the AVCHD disc has a nice pattern for checking this.

#423 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767
I agree...Under Basic Patterns use #1 and 3 for brightness and contrast. 17 & 234 are the only numbers you need to know for those two patterns. If you have a blue filter or if your TV has a blue only mode you can use the flashing color bars for color saturation and hue. This is all any calibration disc is good for except two things: 1) sharpness which is a moot point when viewing high definition, and 2) white and primary color clipping - the AVCHD disc has a nice pattern for checking this.
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. I've settled on using a hybrid mix of some of the settings posted here and an eyeball calibration while watching avatar in HD on hbo in for the meantime. It looks good enough where I can appreciate the new set without thinking too much about the picture but I'll try to dial it in this weekend.

Great set so far but standard def signals are absolutely horrid. The larger screen really shows off the warts on non HD material.

#424 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767
Yes, it might, and that's on my TV. There is no telling how my numbers will look on your display. The manufacturers don't exactly use military spec parts ya know?
yes buzzard on know and thanks a lot , but the problem is that i dont have a calibration software, omle the video essentles dvd. and that does not help very much. I tryed your setting , but i prefer to watch movies with the light on, what would you recound , for viewing , with the light on, for the gama , backlight and contrast. thans in advance

#425 ·
Thanks for suggesting AVSHD, it's pretty neat.

About card #3, the screen says something like, "Adjust white level until 230-234 or higher is flashing". What does this mean?

Even at 100 contrast, many more bars above 234 are flashing. In fact at 100 contrast, only the bars on the very far right of the screen engulfed in white. Am I doing this part wrong?

One final question, does RGB mode set to blue count as a "blue filter" for certain tests in the Misc area? Or do I need to get a pair of dorky glasses from THX?

Should super white be set to on or off (PS3)?

#426 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrkrft /forum/post/19463583

Thanks for suggesting AVSHD, it's pretty neat.

About card #3, the screen says something like, "Adjust white level until 230-234 or higher is flashing". What does this mean?

Even at 100 contrast, many more bars above 234 are flashing. In fact at 100 contrast, only the bars on the very far right of the screen engulfed in white. Am I doing this part wrong?

One final question, does RGB mode set to blue count as a "blue filter" for certain tests in the Misc area? Or do I need to get a pair of dorky glasses from THX?

Should super white be set to on or off (PS3)?

All this is based on SMPTE, The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, standards for HD media. Almost all of the picture content will fall from 17 (black) to 234 (white). Adjust brightness so that you can just barely see 17 flashing. Do this in a dark room after your eyes have adjusted. Although white level for television purposes tops at 234 there is no harm in show 235 and beyond (called "above white") but there is so little content in this area that I don't use it. I get the largest amount of "pop" seeing 17-234 only. The fact that your set still shows above white with the contrast maxed is no big deal if colors are not clipped. Use the A3 color steps pattern, the one where each primary and secondary color grades from 16 to 235 and make sure that each individual 5% step for all colors is clear and visible from the block next to it. If any blend together, turn down the contrast until they are distinct.

The blue only mode setting in the TV is the same as wearing the blue filter glasses.

From the PS3 manual:

Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI)

Adjust output settings for TVs that support Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr input signals. Super-white signal can be output when playing a DVD, Blu-ray Disc (BD), or AVCHD-format video. This setting is for use when the TV is connected to the PS3 system using an HDMI cable.

Off Disable super-white output.

On Enable super-white output.

Hints

If image quality is reduced or the image does not look right when this option is set to [On], set to [Off].

[Automatic] or [Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr] must be selected in [BD / DVD Video Output Format (HDMI)] under (Settings) > (Video Settings). *

* When [Automatic] is set, the TV in use must support a Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr input signal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.