post #541 of 800 Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nation View Post

Hey Guys.

I've ready all 18 pages of this thread! phew.

I've tried multiple calibration settings, and even tried modifying alot of the things I've found here myself.

I just recently purchased an LN46C630 with a SQ05 panel.

Unsure as to what I can use for cali settings... A lot of the copied settings I've used from this thread are just washed out, with no pop.

Currently, I have a Wii connected via component cable, a PS3 via HDMI used for Blu-Ray/Movies, and a Cable box hooked up via HDMI. I'm using Game Mode for the Wii and PS3, with modified backlight levels and DC. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Ironically enough, after spending all this time trying to find the best settings, I usually just revert back to 'standard' as that just looks like the best balance of brightness, color and contrast. Any ideas? Willing to learn! and I appreciate everyone's hard work here.

Can anyone give me any pointers to my previous post?... Please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 800 Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nation View Post

Can anyone give me any pointers to my previous post?... Please?

After you read this, go here and download a calibration disc. Don't forget to DL the Patterns Manual from the same page. The disc will get 3/4 of the way to a calibration. Beyond that a meter and software are required equipment as there is no way you can do gray scale and color gamut by eye. Unless your display is way off the disc should give you a decent picture.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #543 of 800 Old 12-30-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Edit to add: turn off all automatic and dynamic functions

Buzz

post #544 of 800 Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 AM

Still looking for settings for a 60C630 fb01 panel. Anyone have settings they would be willing to share?
post #545 of 800 Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 PM

I tried using some of the calibration settings found here, but they were all a bit off so I calibrated it myself with my DVE disc (55C650, AA02 panel manufactured in Mexico, December 2010):

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 7
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G53/R47

Advanced Settings
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Content: Off
Shadow Detail: 0
Gamma: +1
Color Space: Custom
Red: R50/G0/B0
Green: R0/G55/B0
Blue: R0/G0/B40
Yellow: R50/G55/B0
Cyan: R0/G53/B55
Magenta: R50/G0/B50
White Balance: Default
10p White Balance: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm1
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
File Mode: Auto1
Auto Motion Plus: Clear
Auto Protection Time: 2 hours

I get great black levels from this, and was able to calibrate Blacker-Than-Black very well. However, I found getting the Whiter-Than-White hard to calibrate as I can't get White and WTW looking the same unless I increase the brightness, which screws up with my black levels.

Any suggestions / comments are welcomed!
post #546 of 800 Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Messed around again this weekend and wound up with these settings which look the best so far and hopefully I'm done
Our living room is rather dim all the time due to the 2 windows having curtains that block out the sunlight and 1 40 watt lamp usually on.
I downloaded the AVCHD calibration disk on this forum and used it along with the built in test patterns and RGB blue mode on the tv.

Movie Mode

Backlight 5
Contrast 95
Brightness 43
Sharpness 0
Color 50
Tint: Green 54/Red 46

PICTURE OPTIONS:

Color Tone: Warm 2
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: (greyed out on Directv HD DVR and blu ray player)
Film Mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Off
Auto Protection Time: 2 hours

ADVANCED SETTINGS:

Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: 0
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Native
xvYCC: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off

The backlight being lowered to 5 really helped the black levels be even better. I thought they were good before but I noticed I could see some pixellation in backgrounds sometimes that I couldn't see before on my Mitsubishi DLP set which had a great picture.
I also seem to like the native color setting better as it is a little more saturated but not overly so to my eyes. I admit I don't have calibration hardware but using the blue color and the color bars it is calibrated properly using those alone.
I saw here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1098596 that native actually uses the color space from the source and auto adjusts it somehow.
post #547 of 800 Old 01-02-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
I admit I don't have calibration hardware but using the blue color and the color bars it is calibrated properly using those alone.
I
When you use the color and tint controls to adjust saturation and hue, the entire gamut is changed. It is just as likely to pull some primary and secondary color saturations and hues away from their proper points as it is to bring them closer to same.

Calibration is to take each of the six colors and adjust saturation, hue, and luminance individually. Opps, a new term here, "luminance". It's the "3" in 3 dimensional color calibration, and it is every bit as important as saturation and hue.

A calibration disc, while doing its job for black level, white level, and sharpness, is not equipped for the calibration of grayscale, color gamut, and gamma. It takes a meter and software for that - no exceptions.

Buzz

post #548 of 800 Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Yep but like I said I don't have any calibration hardware so I used what I had. I like how it looks too.
If it looked bad like my original HDTV rear projection Panasonic did back in 2001 or whatever it was when I bought it, then I'd spend more money getting a calibration or the tools to do it. I had that tv professionally calibrated and it looked real nice but still not as nice as this tv looks now.
post #549 of 800 Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 AM

after nearly a week of messing around with my settings.. I used the best buy settings.. WOW.. I Love them.. thanks so much for sharing..

Movie Mode
Contrast 96
Brightness 45
Sharpness 4
Color 48
Tint (G/R) G50/R50

Advanced Settings

Back Tone Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Shadow Detail 0
Gamma 0
Expert Pattern Off
RGB Only Mode Off
Color Space
___Red 50/0/0
___Green 12/50/0
___Blue 11/10/74
___Yellow 45/52/0
___Cyan 14/50/54
___Magenta 41/3/58

White Balance
___R-Offset 25
___G-Offset 25
___B-Offset 23
___R-Gain 4
___G-Gain 27
___B-Gain 50
10p White Balance
___1__3/-1/-2
___2__ 4/0/-3
___3__ 5/-1/-1
___4__ 6/-1/-5
___5__ 8/-1/-3
___6__ 10/0/-4
___7__ 10/-2/-7
___8__ 10/-4/-10
___9__10/-3/-10
___10__ 10/-4/-10

Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off
xvYCC Off

Picture Options

Color Tone Warm 2
Digital Noise Filter Off
MPEG Noise Filter Off

Of course you can set the backlight to whatever you want.
post #550 of 800 Old 01-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtsl1 View Post

I tried using some of the calibration settings found here, but they were all a bit off so I calibrated it myself with my DVE disc (55C650, AA02 panel manufactured in Mexico, December 2010):

I get great black levels from this, and was able to calibrate Blacker-Than-Black very well. However, I found getting the Whiter-Than-White hard to calibrate as I can't get White and WTW looking the same unless I increase the brightness, which screws up with my black levels.

Any suggestions / comments are welcomed!

I had Best Buy come out and calibrate my 630 AA02 panel. Looks great. I keep the lights turned off in my room and curtains pulled
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=512

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblind View Post

after nearly a week of messing around with my settings.. I used the best buy settings.. WOW.. I Love them.. thanks so much for sharing.

Glad they worked out
post #551 of 800 Old 01-02-2011, 05:36 PM

How does the SQ05 panel stack up against the others?

Is downloading a calibration disk my best bet as someone who has never calibrated a tv?
post #552 of 800 Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorec614 View Post

How does the SQ05 panel stack up against the others?

Is downloading a calibration disk my best bet as someone who has never calibrated a tv?

There almost as many opinions regarding Samsung panels as there are owners. I wouldn't worry about it.

Download a calibration disc file to burn here and also get the patterns manual available on the same page. Turn off all the automatic functions before you adjust the brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, and tint settings.

Buzz

post #553 of 800 Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 PM

awesome stuff here guys. thanks for everyones input on this series. just picked a LN46C630 - SQ05. So far... very happy once i turned off auto motion plus

hope to learn a lot more about this tv(& other stuff) from these forums

one stupid question tho:
is calibrating pointless if i don't have a blu-ray player? i have a 360 & (ya i know) hd-dvd player (which only does 1080i).
post #554 of 800 Old 01-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

No it's not pointless. Slap your calibration dvd in your HD DVD player and get busy. Sure it won't be the most perfect and comprehensive calibration but it will help.
post #555 of 800 Old 01-02-2011, 10:24 PM

Brushrop03, on behalf of many others who used your settings, thanks for posting it. Your settings was the first one I used, but they were slightly off for me when viewed through the blue, red and green filters from DVE, hence I had to make my own adjustments to cater to a rather bright viewing environment.

Does anyone here have problems calibrating their whiter-than-white? I can't seem to adjust it to blend into pure white without affecting my black levels. Should I be concerned at all, and did anyone have success with this?
post #556 of 800 Old 01-03-2011, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtsl1 View Post

Brushrop03, on behalf of many others who used your settings, thanks for posting it. Your settings was the first one I used, but they were slightly off for me when viewed through the blue, red and green filters from DVE, hence I had to make my own adjustments to cater to a rather bright viewing environment.

Does anyone here have problems calibrating their whiter-than-white? I can't seem to adjust it to blend into pure white without affecting my black levels. Should I be concerned at all, and did anyone have success with this?

Tom Huffman ---

Setting White Level (Contrast)

The Contrast control determines the peak output your display will provide. Set too low you lose image punch and lower contrast ratios. Set this too high and you lose color accuracy and detail in bright scenes and you may suffer from eye strain.

The standard method for setting Contrast requires that you look at a test pattern that has a just-below-white stripe against a white background. You are supposed to set Contrast as high as you can without losing the ability to distinguish the just-below-white stripe from full white. I included such a pattern on the calibration DVD.

However, there are a couple of problems with this method.
Some displays, especially LCDs, will never suffer from loss of high level detail even with Contrast set to 100%. This method will recommend a setting that is much too high.
This method does not take into consideration color performance. Many displays will lose their ability to track a neutral white at high output levels with Contrast set as high as this method recommends.
Thus, I think that a better method for setting Contrast is to just set it at a level consistent with good color performance and reasonable light output for a given display device. What's a reasonable level?
CRT tubes: 30-40 fL
Plasma: 30-40 fL
LCD flat panel: 30-50 fL
Digital rear projection: 30-40 fL
Digital front projection: 12-16 fL

In a nutshell, a 100% contrast setting is probably going to mess up gamma. Try setting contrast somewhere from 85-95% that gives you a pleasing light output and make further tweaks with the backlight control.

Buzz

post #557 of 800 Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 AM

Can anyone tell me if this TV supports HDMI 1.4, specifically ARC? I can't find it in the manual. Which I suppose means it doesn't
post #558 of 800 Old 01-03-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrop03 View Post

Hey guys...I read a lot. Clearly don't post much. Just saying thanks

Just wanted to contribute my settings with everyone.

I had a Best Buy Geek Squad guy come out today to calibrate my tv. He didn't go into the service menu or anything. Just put up the grey scale and color scale up and did everything from that. Doesn't seem to be worth $200 to me. Thank God for employee discount. Technician was nice and knowledgeable. Just seemed as though he was rushed.

Anyways...here's what my settings came down too. Looks Pretty good. I originally had the settings in post 335 by buzzard767. He removed some blue from my blacks, and an overall yellow in the picture. Made my whites more vibrant also.

Movie Mode
Contrast 96
Brightness 45
Sharpness 4
Color 48
Tint (G/R) G50/R50

Advanced Settings

Back Tone Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Shadow Detail 0
Gamma 0
Expert Pattern Off
RGB Only Mode Off
Color Space
___Red 50/0/0
___Green 12/50/0
___Blue 11/10/74
___Yellow 45/52/0
___Cyan 14/50/54
___Magenta 41/3/58

White Balance
___R-Offset 25
___G-Offset 25
___B-Offset 23
___R-Gain 4
___G-Gain 27
___B-Gain 50
10p White Balance
___1__3/-1/-2
___2__ 4/0/-3
___3__ 5/-1/-1
___4__ 6/-1/-5
___5__ 8/-1/-3
___6__ 10/0/-4
___7__ 10/-2/-7
___8__ 10/-4/-10
___9__10/-3/-10
___10__ 10/-4/-10

Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off
xvYCC Off

Picture Options

Color Tone Warm 2
Digital Noise Filter Off
MPEG Noise Filter Off

Of course you can set the backlight to whatever you want.

C630. AA02 panel.

I have a 55" c650 AA02, and these settings are awesome. Thanks a lot. I had been using Standard because every other set of Movie settings I had seen made it look like a yellow dark sheet was over my screen. These new settings gave me as bright and pretty a picture as Standard, with even more accurate color. I have not had a chance to compare to the more recent set of 55" AA02 settings on Page 19, but really appreciate that people are providing settings for this panel.

I still, however, am having slight motion problems with the bar at the bottom of the ESPN screen. For most material (actual ESPN material) it works fine with blur reduction at 10, and judder on 0, as much prescribed on here. But, during commercials (mainly SD and lower def commercials) the bar will begin to skip and shiver. Any suggestions on combating that? Sorry if I missed this in some prior post.
post #559 of 800 Old 01-03-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyyyrawb View Post
I still, however, am having slight motion problems with the bar at the bottom of the ESPN screen. For most material (actual ESPN material) it works fine with blur reduction at 10, and judder on 0, as much prescribed on here. But, during commercials (mainly SD and lower def commercials) the bar will begin to skip and shiver. Any suggestions on combating that? Sorry if I missed this in some prior post.
Check to make sure the noise filters are off. Also, see if changing the film mode or turning off AMP completely (or to one of the preset configurations) makes a difference. Other than that I'm not sure what you can do, SD material tends to look crappy on larger sets no matter what and things get especially bad when you get a low resolution commercial broadcast on an HD channel.
post #560 of 800 Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you watching ESPN in native 720P resolution from your cable or satellite receiver? I accidently set my Directv HD DVR to output 720P and the ESPN scrolling bar looked horrible. I also noticed a lot of flicker on other channels as well and a slightly blurrier picture. I checked and saw it was on 720P so I put it back to outputting 1080i and the great picture came back. I guess this tv does not like 720P.
post #561 of 800 Old 01-03-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:

I have a 55" c650 AA02, and these settings are awesome. Thanks a lot. I had been using Standard because every other set of Movie settings I had seen made it look like a yellow dark sheet was over my screen. These new settings gave me as bright and pretty a picture as Standard, with even more accurate color. I have not had a chance to compare to the more recent set of 55" AA02 settings on Page 19, but really appreciate that people are providing settings for this panel.

What did you set your HDMI black level to and your auto mtion plus? Thanks all!!
post #562 of 800 Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 PM

Changing the Film mode to Auto 2 definitely helped. Thanks. All the filters were off. This Orange Bowl is looking like I'm on the field right now...
post #563 of 800 Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker View Post

What did you set your HDMI black level to and your auto mtion plus? Thanks all!!

My HDMI Black Level is grayed out at Normal. AMP is on Custom - Blur Reduction 10; Judder Reduction 0. And as mentioned above, Film Mode at Auto2.
post #564 of 800 Old 01-04-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Tom Huffman ---

Setting White Level (Contrast)

The Contrast control determines the peak output your display will provide. Set too low you lose image punch and lower contrast ratios. Set this too high and you lose color accuracy and detail in bright scenes and you may suffer from eye strain.

The standard method for setting Contrast requires that you look at a test pattern that has a just-below-white stripe against a white background. You are supposed to set Contrast as high as you can without losing the ability to distinguish the just-below-white stripe from full white. I included such a pattern on the calibration DVD.

However, there are a couple of problems with this method.
Some displays, especially LCDs, will never suffer from loss of high level detail even with Contrast set to 100%. This method will recommend a setting that is much too high.
This method does not take into consideration color performance. Many displays will lose their ability to track a neutral white at high output levels with Contrast set as high as this method recommends.
Thus, I think that a better method for setting Contrast is to just set it at a level consistent with good color performance and reasonable light output for a given display device. What's a reasonable level?
CRT tubes: 30-40 fL
Plasma: 30-40 fL
LCD flat panel: 30-50 fL
Digital rear projection: 30-40 fL
Digital front projection: 12-16 fL

In a nutshell, a 100% contrast setting is probably going to mess up gamma. Try setting contrast somewhere from 85-95% that gives you a pleasing light output and make further tweaks with the backlight control.

Thanks Buzzard767, I'll give this a go!
post #565 of 800 Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:

My HDMI Black Level is grayed out at Normal. AMP is on Custom - Blur Reduction 10; Judder Reduction 0. And as mentioned above, Film Mode at Auto2.

My film mode is greyed out but my HDMI Black level is not, opposite? Any idea?

Why cant i change film mode?
post #566 of 800 Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

If your tv is receiving a progressive signal then film mode will be greyed out because it doesn't need to deinterlace if it's getting a progressive signal.
post #567 of 800 Old 01-06-2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks
post #568 of 800 Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker View Post
My film mode is greyed out but my HDMI Black level is not, opposite? Any idea?

Why cant i change film mode?
Try setting the output of your HDMI playback devices (DVD, Blu-ray players etc.) to 1080i.

When Blu-ray playback is set to 24p, 3:2 pulldown is not necessary, so the Film Mode remains grayed out.

I checked some 1080i broadcast channels on my Samsung LN40C630 TV and all of them had the HDMI and Black Level settings grayed out, but the Film Mode setting was available. The 720p channels had both the HDMI Black Level and the Film Mode settings grayed out. However, on three of the 480i channels I checked, the HDMI Black Level was grayed out, but the Film Mode was available.

When my Pioneer DV-400V-K DVD player's HDMI outputs are set to either 480i or 1080i, both the Film Mode and HDMI Black Level settings are available. The other DVD player that I have which allows a 480i HDMI output is an OPPO DV-980H.

Still, I prefer to set all of my disk players to 1080i HDMI output in order to take advantage of the Samsung TV's Screen Fit and Film Mode settings.
post #569 of 800 Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 PM

Wow, i just red all 19pages and i have to say thank you for this thread.

I bought a Samsung LN46C610 witch is pretty much like the C630.
I have a SQ03 Panel, i was wondering if anyone else has a Sq03, if so, what kind of calibration settings are you using.

so far i've used the Best buy calibration settings and it goes great but since i'm not a professional, i'd like to have your advise on what calibration would be the best.

I have a Samsung BD-P1600 blu ray player
A ps3 in HDMI
A Xbox 360 in Component(yeah i know, it sucks, but i have a old xb that doesn't have HDMI)
And my Satellite STB is in component as well.

here is the settings i'm curently using

Movie Mode
Contrast 96
Brightness 45
Sharpness 4
Color 48
Tint (G/R) G50/R50

Advanced Settings

Back Tone Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Shadow Detail 0
Gamma 0
Expert Pattern Off
RGB Only Mode Off
Color Space
___Red 50/0/0
___Green 12/50/0
___Blue 11/10/74
___Yellow 45/52/0
___Cyan 14/50/54
___Magenta 41/3/58

White Balance
___R-Offset 25
___G-Offset 25
___B-Offset 23
___R-Gain 4
___G-Gain 27
___B-Gain 50
10p White Balance
___1__3/-1/-2
___2__ 4/0/-3
___3__ 5/-1/-1
___4__ 6/-1/-5
___5__ 8/-1/-3
___6__ 10/0/-4
___7__ 10/-2/-7
___8__ 10/-4/-10
___9__10/-3/-10
___10__ 10/-4/-10

Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off
xvYCC Off

Picture Options

Color Tone Warm 2
Digital Noise Filter Off
MPEG Noise Filter Off

thank you very much again for this thread

habs
post #570 of 800 Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs84 View Post

Wow, i just red all 19pages and i have to say thank you for this thread.

I bought a Samsung LN46C610 witch is pretty much like the C630.
I have a SQ03 Panel, i was wondering if anyone else has a Sq03, if so, what kind of calibration settings are you using.

so far i've used the Best buy calibration settings and it goes great but since i'm not a professional, i'd like to have your advise on what calibration would be the best.

thank you very much again for this thread

habs

I would also like to piggyback on this request...

I purchased the LN40C6101NF at FutureShop, and I am looking to play around with the colours.

First... how do I figure out what panel my TV has? (sorry for the noob question... HD virgin here)

Second, my question is around auto-motion. For example... I watch hockey or football with Automotion on, and everything moves great with no ghosting.

Then I turn to the HD feed and watch Castle (last Monday)... and while the picture looks great, I notice some blur as people move... seemingly more as the camera pans. The blur is more apparent when a light object is moving on a dark background, as opposed to when a light object is moving across a light background. I'm thinking that this might have something to do with the "old" pixels not falling back to "dark" quick enough.

So... I'm going to try some of the settings listed above in the thread, but I'm really looking for some feedback help with Automotion. How do I get rid of the awful "ghosting" on the slowly panning sequences?

Do I go
Automotion Custom,
Blur 10
Judder 0

...as many people seem to indicate, or do I turn it off completely?

Help is greatly appreaciated... I just got my first LCD and I'm kinda discouraged.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page