Official Samsung LNxxC630 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 800 Old 01-21-2011, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so I used the AVSHD to recalibrate my TV, and found that both the blue and red came up very similar as the DVE, but the green setting was quite different. Anyway, after comparing both green settings to view still pictures of greenery in nature, I found the AVSHD setting to be more washed out, so I used the setting from DVE instead. I did use other settings from the AVSHD though, like contrast (seeing that it had better test patterns for it), tint and color, and corroborated them with DVE again. While I think it may be improved further if I have more sophisticated calibration tools, but for now, I'm very pleased with my picture quality. My updated numbers are in red below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtsl1 View Post

I tried using some of the calibration settings found here, but they were all a bit off so I calibrated it myself with my DVE disc (55C650, AA02 panel manufactured in Mexico, December 2010):

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 7
Contrast: 100 (85)
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 0 (10)
Color: 50 (53)
Tint: G53/R47 (G50/R50)

Advanced Settings
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Content: Off
Shadow Detail: 0
Gamma: +1 (0)
Color Space: Custom
Red: R50/G0/B0
Green: R0/G55/B0
Blue: R0/G0/B40 (0/0/50)
Yellow: R50/G55/B0
Cyan: R0/G53/B55 (0/51/50)
Magenta: R50/G0/B50
White Balance: Default
10p White Balance: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm1
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
Film Mode: Auto1 (Off)
Auto Motion Plus: Clear (Off)
Auto Protection Time: 2 hours

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 800 Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Quote:

Okay, so I used the AVSHD to recalibrate my TV, and found that both the blue and red came up very similar as the DVE, but the green setting was quite different. Anyway, after comparing both green settings to view still pictures of greenery in nature, I found the AVSHD setting to be more washed out, so I used the setting from DVE instead. I did use other settings from the AVSHD though, like contrast (seeing that it had better test patterns for it), tint and color, and corroborated them with DVE again. While I think it may be improved further if I have more sophisticated calibration tools, but for now, I'm very pleased with my picture quality. My updated numbers are in red below:

What software and meter are you using? If neither, how on earth did you arrive at Color Management System settings, ie. "Cyan: R0/G53/B55 (0/51/50)"?

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #633 of 800 Old 01-22-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

I called Crutchfield and they noted the account to send an SQ panel only or cancel the order... So far I am very impressed by their service. BTW, something to try.... calibrate your TV then set to game mode. I know it sounds weird, but it helps a bit. Mine went from being totally annoying to ok, there is a difference. However, mine is so bad that this fix made it "bearable" but the negative to doing this is options are grayed out, sound is HORRIBLE and tinny and can't be changed. No way I can live with this, but for the time being until (hopefully) my SQ03 panel gets here. Let me know how you make out. BTW, let me know if it is just me, but in GAME mode shadow details and BLACKS have much more detail and colors "pop" a bit more.

I'm planning on trying to return mine to Best Buy on Monday. I was waiting for a closer store to get them in stock, but that hasn't happened yet and I'm tired of waiting.

I realized that watching Blu Ray on my PS3 has a significantly better picture than Dish Network. Obviously, this should be the case, but the difference is pretty much night and day. This is the case no matter what I adjust the settings to on either input. I have reset back to factory settings in "Natural" and then tweaked the settings a little bit, but I still can't get it to look as good as my LNT4061F, it's not even close. I'll report back when I receive my HDMI cable to connect my Dish receiver instead of the component cables I'm using now.

I don't really notice any difference when turning game mode on or off, even when playing a PS3 game. The sharpness might change a bit, but it's hard to tell. I don't notice any difference in black level or color performance though.

I totally understand what you mean, I just bought a brand new TV and I want to get what I paid for. It's not like we bought some inexpensive generic brand or anything. I always knew my 3 year old Samsung 40" LCD had a good picture, but I guess I didn't realize how good I had it. Other than a slight viewing angle loss in quality, none of these problems are apparent in that one when compared to my new 55.
post #634 of 800 Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

The nearest multiple of 5????? I must have missed something at the SpectraCal seminar.

Check sharpness at six inches with a magnifying glass if you need it. If a halo exists, turn down sharpness until it disappears. Then continue to turn down sharpness and see if the picture changes for better or worse. Stop at the "sharpest" picture point. On HD sets with HD patterns this point is 0 more often than not.

This relates to my above post re: sharpness. The AVS Forum audience is a small one in the world of television so I don't think my information is going to put the TV calibration disc manufacturers out of business.

There is a free disc available. Go here. If you have a DVD burner download the AVCHD file, expand it, and burn the resulting iso file to a blank DVD disc. Also, download the Patterns Manual pdf file from the same page.

That disc contains everything you need to calibrate your set short of gray scale, color gamut, and gamma. Actually, if you have a spectroradiometer or colorimeter and software (ChromaPure, CalMan, or ColorHCFR) you can do a complete ISF style calibration because patterns for all three software versions are on the disc too.

You only need to use 5 patterns and the patterns manual describes exactly what you are looking for.

1) Basic Settings #1, Black Clipping - Use this to set black level with the brightness control.

2) Basic Settings #3, White Clipping - Use this to set white level with the contrast control.

3) Basic Settings #4, Flashing Color Bars - Use this to set color saturation (actually, Chroma gain) with the color control and hue with the tint control. On the Samsung 600 series sets, select the blue only mode rather than using a blue filter.

4) Basic Settings #5, Sharpness & Overscan - Use this to set sharpness.

5) Misc. Patterns (A), A4, Color Clipping - Use this to check that none of the three primaries, red, green, and blue, are being clipped. If one or more are you need to adjust the contrast control and/or the color control.

Now go back and recheck black and white levels. Some compromises may need to be made, but this is a part of caibration.

Before adjusting any of the above, turn off all the automatic controls that relate to dark levels, color, etc. They only work AGAINST you.

That's it. It's all you have to do. It's all you can do. Beyond this point requires a meter, software, and knowledge. If you don't have all three and you mess with custom color, white balance, 10 pt. white balance, or gamma you're asking for trouble. None of these things can be set by eye.

Enjoy

Buzz

post #635 of 800 Old 01-24-2011, 07:31 AM

I'm using the blue, red and green filters that came with DVE to calibrate my TV. Sure, it's not as sophisticated as yours, but it works for me.

Once again, these are my settings that I'm sharing hoping it might benefit someone else since I gained so much from this forum. Anyone using them though should use it with a grain of salt as every TV and viewing environment is different.
post #636 of 800 Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using the blue, red and green filters that came with DVE to calibrate my TV. Sure, it's not as sophisticated as yours, but it works for me.

Once again, these are my settings that I'm sharing hoping it might benefit someone else since I gained so much from this forum. Anyone using them though should use it with a grain of salt as every TV and viewing environment is different.

There are differences among the colored filters from various manufacturers as referenced by Stacey Spears, co-author of the Spears & Munsil calibration disc. I think it's in this thread somewhere.

With the 600 Series Samsungs you shouldn't use the plastic filters anyway. Select the RGB Only mode in the advanced user menu and adjust from there. You will have to average it all out for the best setting.

Buzz

post #637 of 800 Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaberan View Post

I'm planning on trying to return mine to Best Buy on Monday. I was waiting for a closer store to get them in stock, but that hasn't happened yet and I'm tired of waiting.

I realized that watching Blu Ray on my PS3 has a significantly better picture than Dish Network. Obviously, this should be the case, but the difference is pretty much night and day. This is the case no matter what I adjust the settings to on either input. I have reset back to factory settings in "Natural" and then tweaked the settings a little bit, but I still can't get it to look as good as my LNT4061F, it's not even close. I'll report back when I receive my HDMI cable to connect my Dish receiver instead of the component cables I'm using now.

I don't really notice any difference when turning game mode on or off, even when playing a PS3 game. The sharpness might change a bit, but it's hard to tell. I don't notice any difference in black level or color performance though.

I totally understand what you mean, I just bought a brand new TV and I want to get what I paid for. It's not like we bought some inexpensive generic brand or anything. I always knew my 3 year old Samsung 40" LCD had a good picture, but I guess I didn't realize how good I had it. Other than a slight viewing angle loss in quality, none of these problems are apparent in that one when compared to my new 55.

Sorry to hear about your problems with this set. I went through two AA02 panels and told the guy at Crutchfield that I'll start my TV search [all] over unless you have an SQ panel that I can get. They were kind enough to search and pull one for me and so far I am satisfied. I have not run the full gamete of tests but the first two sets were problematic from the moment I turned then on... literally. My wife noticed the brighter left side both times and then said nothing when this new set arrived. Well, she did say one thing, she said "you are keeping this set no matter what.... you get infatuated with your electronic devices..." I told her is was a "home theater device addiction"... I don't think she found that too humorous.

See if you can call around or go from place to place and get another panel..BTW, I really do not know if overall the SQ panel is better than the AA panel because we all see things differently and a few hundred complaints are really not a scientific conclusion to the matter. However, I had two AA panels that had the same problem as yours and others on this site, then "coincidentally" I get an SQ panel and all is better... FWIW, I don't know but sure seems like that was the problem... only because my problem was resolved.

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #638 of 800 Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 AM

I was unable to find this information in the manual of my Samsung LN40C630, however, it was posted on a Samsung website:

Technicians resolve many TV service calls by entering the service menu and performing a Factory Reset. Now, all Samsung 2008 model televisions have a Factory Reset feature you can use to reset your TV to the factory settings without entering the service menu.

When you perform a Factory Reset, all your settings revert to factory defaults. These settings include all picture and sound settings, all channel menu settings including memorized channels, all clock and timer settings, and any other settings you made through the menu. In addition, if you had your TV professionally calibrated, you may lose the calibration settings if the calibration was not done through the service menu.

Be sure to go through all other troubleshooting steps before performing a factory reset. The factory reset should be the last thing you do before setting the TV up for service.

To perform a Factory Reset, follow these steps:

Step 1. With the TV on, aim the remote at the TV and press and hold EXIT on the TV remote for 12 seconds.

The Factory Reset screen appears displaying a warning message. Understand that all your settings revert to factory settings if you run the Factory Reset function.

Step 2. Note: When the Factory Reset screen appears, Cancel is initially highlighted. If you want to cancel the Factory Reset function, press ENTER now. Otherwise, go to Step 3.

Step 3. Press the left arrow key to highlight OK, and then press ENTER. After the TV completes the Factory Reset, it powers itself off. When you power the TV on for the first time after the Factory Reset, the Plug & Play screen appears just as if you had turned the TV on for the first time.

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...!1296161255696
post #639 of 800 Old 01-30-2011, 06:07 PM

sorry if this has been brought up, i read most of the thread but couldn't find it.

I bought the ln46c630(SQ05) the other day and I'm having a huge problem with pixelated text on the xbox 360. xbox is set to 1080p, tv says its 1080p, going through component. all text looks horrible, especially when you hit the guide button it looks like craaap. Also having the problem on my blu-ray player going through hdmi, its not as bad but still noticeable, any help would be appreciated .
post #640 of 800 Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 PM

Does anyone have an optimal custom AMP setting for football? I see a big difference with AMP on vs. off viewing most programming, but not so much with football. Also, I get frame skips with AMP on either standard or smooth when viewing OTA broadcasts, but none noticed with Blu ray. Why would that be?
Thanks.
post #641 of 800 Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
There are differences among the colored filters from various manufacturers as referenced by Stacey Spears, co-author of the Spears & Munsil calibration disc. I think it's in this thread somewhere.

With the 600 Series Samsungs you shouldn't use the plastic filters anyway. Select the RGB Only mode in the advanced user menu and adjust from there. You will have to average it all out for the best setting.
I has some time over the weekend to play with the TV, and am happy to say that the RGB modes produced essentially the same results as the DVE color filters.
post #642 of 800 Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsjav View Post
Does anyone have an optimal custom AMP setting for football? I see a big difference with AMP on vs. off viewing most programming, but not so much with football. Also, I get frame skips with AMP on either standard or smooth when viewing OTA broadcasts, but none noticed with Blu ray. Why would that be?
Thanks.
I have FIOS here in NJ, and only notice the AMP skipping on certain channels like TBS HD and TNT HD. I have an A650 downstairs and NEVER used AMP except when watching animated BD/HD DVD. When watching sports or cable HD I never used amp on my A650 and am not using it on my 55C630. On Movie settings while watching HD sports I notice some blur but not much and on standard setting I notice almost none unless I look for it. I like the "Movie" settings for colors much better... I guess because I was able to use the 10P white balance. Colors looks more natural and accurate. Standard looks good but has a slight red tint on people's faces on certain channels.

Getting back to your dilemma, I use 'Auto 1", AMP off and NO digital enhancers... meaning low to little sharpness, no edge enhancement, no MPEG noise control...etc.

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #643 of 800 Old 02-02-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

Sorry to hear about your problems with this set. I went through two AA02 panels and told the guy at Crutchfield that I'll start my TV search [all] over unless you have an SQ panel that I can get. They were kind enough to search and pull one for me and so far I am satisfied. I have not run the full gamete of tests but the first two sets were problematic from the moment I turned then on... literally. My wife noticed the brighter left side both times and then said nothing when this new set arrived. Well, she did say one thing, she said "you are keeping this set no matter what.... you get infatuated with your electronic devices..." I told her is was a "home theater device addiction"... I don't think she found that too humorous.

See if you can call around or go from place to place and get another panel..BTW, I really do not know if overall the SQ panel is better than the AA panel because we all see things differently and a few hundred complaints are really not a scientific conclusion to the matter. However, I had two AA panels that had the same problem as yours and others on this site, then "coincidentally" I get an SQ panel and all is better... FWIW, I don't know but sure seems like that was the problem... only because my problem was resolved.

I went back to Best Buy and returned the TV without any problems whatsoever by just saying I wasn't happy with the picture quality. I was pleasantly surprised that the home theater employee there was more than willing to go back and check the boxes for an SQ panel after I showed him where to look (he said he had never heard of this "panel lottery", which is what I expected him to say). I am almost certain that the LN55C630 that they had on display is an SQ panel, because it exhibited none of the issues I had with mine.

The home theater employee went back and found that they only had one of this TV and that it was in fact an AA panel. This Best Buy was the only one that has had this TV in stock for a few weeks, so I assumed that they were phasing them out. I ultimately decided that I wasn't going to try my luck with the other TV they had because I knew it had an AA panel, so I decided to spend the extra $100 and go with the Sony KDL55EX710, which is an edge lit LED-LCD. I have had this for about a week and a half now and I am very impressed with the picture quality. The difference is night and day compared to the Samsung, so I am very happy that I went with the Sony. I was a bit reluctant to do so because I was not entirely impressed by many of the Sony's that I sold while working in a home theater store several years back while still in college. I think I made the right decision, and my wife is happy as well (she never saw anything wrong with the Samsung anyway...).
post #644 of 800 Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

I have a c650, but I know that many c650 owners end up looking at this thread, so I thought would cross post. Inspired by the huge amount of work I saw Buzz put in on his tv, I decided it was time to buy a new meter and calibrate my tv, I was starting to get really dissatisfied with my colors due to poor flesh tones, and really uneven colors. Sorry I don't have graphs, but my hd failed right after calibration!!

My i1 drifted and got too old, so I finally bought a new meter and bought Chromapure at the same time. Calibrated my c650, maybe the settings won't benefit anyone, but I can say one thing: the tv's color decoder is really wrong, and also just like cnet said about the c630 it really clips shadow detail. If you feel that you have those problems try setting your device to rgb and pushing up 1-4 rgb up to max on on the 10p white balance to resolve the problem.

Notes
The target luminance is roughly 35 ftL or 120 cd/m2 for night, and roughly 60 ftL for day. The calibration was done for night (which was backlight=4) and then afterwards I set up backlight=10 with eco sensor=on, Min=4.

I calibrated the display to D65 grayscale, 2.22 gamma, Rec 709 color gamut.

I discovered in the course of the calibration that the c650 hdtv has an incorrect color decoder, which pushes green luminance too high and red and blue luminance are under-bright, these errors are 25-40%! Having the devices decode color, (that is using rgb) results in much smaller luminance errors. The CMS allows the errors to be further reduced so that blue ends up with only a 11% error and the other colors have less than 1% error.

The ps3 decoder clips all channels (as seen on Spears & Munsil, my other devices do not, so the color calibration (but not grayscale) had to be redone for the ps3, but the luminance errors were still much less than the tv!
The brightness and contrast settings were left at default, and sharpness reduced to 0.

Grayscale
Warm 2 is the closest to D65 (neutral whites), but has too much green, and not enough red. Also the above 50% stimulus at gamma=0 is close to a gamma of 2.2 point by point, but below 50% stimulus the gamma is too high. The result is the default setting clips shadow detail.

Color Tone: Warm2, gamma: 0
White Balance: 24/24/24/27/13/21
10p White Balance: On
1: 8/6/5, 2: 10/9/9, 3: 9/9/9, 4: 8/7/5, 5: 2/2/2, 6: 2/2/2, 7: 2/2/0, 8: 2/2/2, 9: 1/1/1, 10: 0/0/0

Color
PS3

Hdmi=low, ps3 outputs rgb=limited
Color=51, Tint=default
CMS=Custom,
R: 50/0/0, G: 10/44/0, B: 0/0/100, Y: 47/53/0, C: 17/46/50, M: 42/0/70

Everything else

Hdmi=low, device outputs rgb
Color=49, Tint=51/49
CMS=Custom
R: 50/0/0, G: 16/45/0, B: 15/0/100, Y: 43/45/0, C: 25/44/43, M: 40/0/65

post #645 of 800 Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlerfan999 View Post

The brightness and contrast settings were left at default, and sharpness reduced to 0.

I saw you made this post on the owners thread as well.

Why didn't you adjust the black and white levels, very important, and the first two items that should be checked during any calibration?

Buzz

post #646 of 800 Old 02-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Oh I checked the brightness and contrast very first thing, and very last thing and they simply didn't need to be changed. I could see 17 and above flashing, superwhite was visible and not discolored, and there was no rgb clipping.
post #647 of 800 Old 02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh I checked the brightness and contrast very first thing, and very last thing and they simply didn't need to be changed. I could see 17 and above flashing, superwhite was visible and not discolored, and there was no rgb clipping.

I wonder what the odds are of that happening???? More importantly, how does the picture look on your display?

My wife's 40C630 is stunning thanks to calibration. These 600 series mid priced LCDs are a bargain considering their capabilities.

Buzz

post #648 of 800 Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

The picture looks awesome! First movie post-calibration I watched was Papillon and it is a very bright, vivid colorful picture, but the fleshtones are all over the place from sunburned to olive to albino white. And the new settings kept the faces looking natural, but the colors in the movie were amazing. It is difficult to get both unless the settings are dead on.

And I have to say that chromapure was so awesome to use.
post #649 of 800 Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The picture looks awesome! First movie post-calibration I watched was Papillon and it is a very bright, vivid colorful picture, but the fleshtones are all over the place from sunburned to olive to albino white. And the new settings kept the faces looking natural, but the colors in the movie were amazing. It is difficult to get both unless the settings are dead on.

And I have to say that chromapure was so awesome to use.

You had talked about the 600 color decoder. My color was way off when I got the TV last spring so calibration really was required. The only shortcoming my set has is that red and green (and thus yellow) cannot quite reach REC 709 saturation. Despite that, luminance error is extremely low so the dE is < 2 on all primaries.

Ditto on ChromaPure. I was an early adopter and was eligible for the inexpensive Pro upgrade (one time limited offer) which I jumped all over. It's not that CalMan 4.x is bad, far from it. I've taken a SpectraCal Pro seminar using CalMan and it's very impressive but overly complicated for GS and CMS work. ChromaPure is perfect for my needs, and I'm sitting on the edge of my chair waiting for the new version because I have a DVDO iScan Duo VP on my main display and the auto calibration feature is really going to be cool. I know that because at the SpectraCal seminar we autocalibrated a Mitsubishi LCD with CalMan connected through a Duo. Great stuff.

Buzz

post #650 of 800 Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:

I have a c650, but I know that many c650 owners end up looking at this thread, so I thought would cross post. Inspired by the huge amount of work I saw Buzz put in on his tv, I decided it was time to buy a new meter and calibrate my tv, I was starting to get really dissatisfied with my colors due to poor flesh tones, and really uneven colors. Sorry I don't have graphs, but my hd failed right after calibration!!

My i1 drifted and got too old, so I finally bought a new meter and bought Chromapure at the same time. Calibrated my c650, maybe the settings won't benefit anyone, but I can say one thing: the tv's color decoder is really wrong, and also just like cnet said about the c630 it really clips shadow detail. If you feel that you have those problems try setting your device to rgb and pushing up 1-4 rgb up to max on on the 10p white balance to resolve the problem.

Notes
The target luminance is roughly 35 ftL or 120 cd/m2 for night, and roughly 60 ftL for day. The calibration was done for night (which was backlight=4) and then afterwards I set up backlight=10 with eco sensor=on, Min=4.

I calibrated the display to D65 grayscale, 2.22 gamma, Rec 709 color gamut.

I discovered in the course of the calibration that the c650 hdtv has an incorrect color decoder, which pushes green luminance too high and red and blue luminance are under-bright, these errors are 25-40%! Having the devices decode color, (that is using rgb) results in much smaller luminance errors. The CMS allows the errors to be further reduced so that blue ends up with only a 11% error and the other colors have less than 1% error.

The ps3 decoder clips all channels (as seen on Spears & Munsil, my other devices do not, so the color calibration (but not grayscale) had to be redone for the ps3, but the luminance errors were still much less than the tv!

Grayscale
Warm 2 is the closest to D65 (neutral whites), but has too much green, and not enough red. Also the above 50% stimulus at gamma=0 is close to a gamma of 2.2 point by point, but below 50% stimulus the gamma is too high. The result is the default setting clips shadow detail.

Color Tone: Warm2, gamma: 0
White Balance: 24/24/24/27/13/21
10p White Balance: On
1: 8/6/5, 2: 10/9/9, 3: 9/9/9, 4: 8/7/5, 5: 2/2/2, 6: 2/2/2, 7: 2/2/0, 8: 2/2/2, 9: 1/1/1, 10: 0/0/0

Color
PS3

Hdmi=low, ps3 outputs rgb=limited
Color=51, Tint=default
CMS=Custom,
R: 50/0/0, G: 10/44/0, B: 0/0/100, Y: 47/53/0, C: 17/46/50, M: 42/0/70

Everything else

Hdmi=low, device outputs rgb
Color=49, Tint=51/49
CMS=Custom
R: 50/0/0, G: 16/45/0, B: 15/0/100, Y: 43/45/0, C: 25/44/43, M: 40/0/65

What type of panel does your c650 have?
post #651 of 800 Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You had talked about the 600 color decoder. My color was way off when I got the TV last spring so calibration really was required. The only shortcoming my set has is that red and green (and thus yellow) cannot quite reach REC 709 saturation. Despite that, luminance error is extremely low so the dE is < 2 on all primaries.

Yeah I don't know why my tv is so off, because the reviews didn't indicate there should be a problem. But Spears and Munsil right off the bat told me that at least it was using the 601 matrix instead of the 709, but that doesn't even begin to account for why the grass looked neon and the red looked washed out.

I'm just glad that switching to rgb fixed it.
post #652 of 800 Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaine View Post

What type of panel does your c650 have?

I had to look just on how to find out! haha It is a AA01 if that helps.
post #653 of 800 Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 AM

Thx for this thread.
post #654 of 800 Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for this great thread.

I've had my led samsung for a couple of weeks now, but can't seem to sort the picture out. the problem is that bright colours, especially whites are so bright that there is no definition at all. If for example someone is wearing a white shirt, then i can't make out any detail as it is just so bright, same goes for pictures with anything with bright colours not just white yet all the other colours in the image seem ok. I think i've tryed all the settings but to no avail.

This is my first post here, so hope someone can help me.
post #655 of 800 Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasusGS View Post

I've had my led samsung for a couple of weeks now,

This is my first post here, so hope someone can help me.

This isn't an LED thread but go here for all you need.

Buzz

post #656 of 800 Old 02-07-2011, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

To add to my above post - it just occurred to me that your picture setting is probably in the "brilliant" mode. Switch to "movie" for starters.

Then go through the menu and turn off everything that says auto or dynamic or eco.
Set brightness around 50 and contrast about 90. If the colors are still too bright turn down "color" until you get what pleases you. This should give you a watchable picture.

Now go download, burn, and use the disc referenced above and do the basic calibration.

If this doesn't work, exchange your TV.

Buzz

post #657 of 800 Old 02-07-2011, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

LED thread although you didn't say which model you have: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1234875

Buzz

post #658 of 800 Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the help buzzard767. I'm going to use the calibration disc that you offered.
post #659 of 800 Old 02-07-2011, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasusGS View Post

Thanks for the help buzzard767. I'm going to use the calibration disc that you offered.

I forgot to include: also download the patterns manual pdf on the same page.

Buzz

post #660 of 800 Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Don't copy someone else's white balance settings. Jeeze. No way it will work for you.

Actually it depends on your definition of "work". All I care about is, does it look better or worse than the default setting. It doesn't have to be technically perfect for me. I've found posts like yours to be extremely useful in making significant improvements to my PQ.

I did my own calibration with a calibration blue ray for the easy stuff: brightness, contrast, color, backlight, etc. This improved my picture considerably. There is no easy way to adjust white balance without spending serious cash. I'm willing to settle for whatever improvements I can get.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page