post #721 of 800 Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by screxer View Post

So have I! Haha! Hope the settings work okay for you....I'm pretty happy with them...may do it again in a few weeks when I get used to how everything works

Way to go, and welcome to the club. Now you have to post your detailed calibration report so we can "see" the TV too.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 800 Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Way to go, and welcome to the club. Now you have to post your detailed calibration report so we can "see" the TV too.

Haha! Yeah, I think I'll do another run on Saturday an do all the reporting and so on. Thank you for the recommendation btw...awesome product
post #723 of 800 Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha! Yeah, I think I'll do another run on Saturday an do all the reporting and so on. Thank you for the recommendation btw...awesome product

Yeah. Fun stuff and great results. I'm going to do a Runco Q750i projector on Tuesday and am really looking forward to it.

Buzz

post #724 of 800 Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 PM

Liked: 11
These settings seemed to kill my black levels way too much ... I tried to adjust the 'brightness' and 'backlight' to get the blacks decent ... but to no avail ...

Note that I used these setting briefly for OTA hdtv 1080i ...

I don't know if these settings would work best for Bluray disc movies as the source ? since BR was used in the calibration ??

To the experts out there ... are there occasions when a calibration will look great with BR movies and look worse for HDTV ota signals ??

Thanks all, j.

Quote:

So have I! Haha! Hope the settings work okay for you....I'm pretty happy with them...may do it again in a few weeks when I get used to how everything works

post #725 of 800 Old 04-07-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs View Post

To the experts out there ... are there occasions when a calibration will look great with BR movies and look worse for HDTV ota signals ??

They usually look fairly close to the same. What someone else's calibration won't do is work with your TV (unless you really luck out).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906

Buzz

post #726 of 800 Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:

These settings seemed to kill my black levels way too much ... I tried to adjust the 'brightness' and 'backlight' to get the blacks decent ... but to no avail ...

Note that I used these setting briefly for OTA hdtv 1080i ...

I don't know if these settings would work best for Bluray disc movies as the source ? since BR was used in the calibration ??

Thanks all, j.

If brightness is hurting, try the avshd 709 calibration disc that you can download on here and burn...worked great for me
post #727 of 800 Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 AM

RE someone elses calibration ... Yes I'm well aware of that ... but I think it was worth a try and perhaps better than just leaving it stock. I'll try it with a BR movie rental this weekend sometime.

ps - colors look nicely saturated ( if a bit heavy on my FB01) ... too bad I can't seem to make any adjustment that corrects the 'lightening of my black levels' ... they're hugely affected by these settings.

As a side note: - with my settings the BL is the same accross all my viewing modes ... ie. standard , movie , natural ... ect ect ect

I am curious to know how these settings could so adversely lighten up my black level ? ... colors I understand ... but black level changes I did not expect ??

J.

Quote:

They usually look fairly close to the same. What someone else's calibration won't do is work with your TV (unless you really luck out).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906

post #728 of 800 Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Black level is set with the brightness control. That's it, there ain't no more.

Buzz

post #729 of 800 Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 PM

If I use these new calib settings and then set the backlight , contrast, and brightness == equal to my normal settings ... then the blacks go way lighter (greyish yellow kind of) than the blacks from my normal setting ... it was EXTREMELY obvious ... not at all subtle.

So with all due respect ... what I'm seeing doesn't seem to agree with what you are saying ... i.e. with respect to 'Brightness' being the only factor in black level performance.

I can only guess that the extra color saturation that I'm seeing (with the calib settings) has a side effect of the black levels going way up as well ... just thinking out loud here.

J.

Quote:

Black level is set with the brightness control. That's it, there ain't no more.

post #730 of 800 Old 04-08-2011, 03:53 PM

Alright, another go! I reset everything to "stock" and started from scratch mainly to play...haha! Again, 60C630 FB01 panel calibrated via chromapure with a i1Display LT Pro meter. Calibration disk is the AVSHD709 disk fed to the TV via HDMI from a Panasonic BD60. Calibration was done in a low lit room to match my normal viewing. Unfortunately, the PDF file is too big to post, but before calibration, Grayscale dE had an average of 4.1. After, the dE is 0.9. RGB before was 92.4% red, 102.2% green, and 100.5% Blue. After, 100.2% red, 99.9% green, 100.5% blue. 80% gamme before was 2.45, after 2.2. 20% gamma before was 2.43, after 2.21.

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 5
Contrast: 91
Brightness: 47
Sharpness: 34
Color: 48
Tint: G51/R49
Eco Solution: Off

Advanced Settings:
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: 0
Gamma: 0
Color Space: See Below
White Balance: See Below
10p White Balance: on, see below
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: off
xvYCC: off

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm2
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter: off
MPEG noise filter: off
AMP: Custom (Blur 10, Judder 3)

Color Space
Red: R47, G0, B6
Green: R16, G67, B0
Blue: R14, G0, B62
Yellow: R46, G50, B0
Cyan: R27, G55, B44
Magenta: R43, G0, B66

White Balance:
R-Offset: 30
G-Offset: 26
B-Offset: 28
R-Gain: 23
G-Gain: 21
B-Gain: 20

10p White Balance:
1: 0, 1, 0
2: -2, -1, -1
3: 0, 0, 0
4: 0, 0, 0
5: 3, 1, 2
6: 2, 0, 0
7: 1, 0, 0
8: 2, 0, 1
9: 1, 0, 1
10: 0, 0, 0
post #731 of 800 Old 04-08-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I use these new calib settings and then set the backlight , contrast, and brightness == equal to my normal settings ... then the blacks go way lighter (greyish yellow kind of) than the blacks from my normal setting ... it was EXTREMELY obvious ... not at all subtle.

So with all due respect ... what I'm seeing doesn't seem to agree with what you are saying ... i.e. with respect to 'Brightness' being the only factor in black level performance.

I can only guess that the extra color saturation that I'm seeing (with the calib settings) has a side effect of the black levels going way up as well ... just thinking out loud here.

J.

I'd love to be able to see your display and understand what you're getting at but I can't. All I can do is give you facts that are universally known. The brightness control adjusts black level. the dark half of grayscale. The contrast control adjusts white level, the light half of grayscale.

Perhaps you have an auto function going wild. Is everything named dynamic or auto off - better said, anything in Picture Options and Advanced Settings, if it can be turned off, turn it off, and leave it off, forever. Are you tuning your TV or are you going to let a video engineer in Korea do it for you on the fly? It's all marketing garbage and of no use to display calibration. okay?

Those of us who measure these sets say over and over and over that using the settings of another display's calibration will not work. TVs are like fingerprints, all different. The next one off the assembly line is measurably totally different than the one before it, yet people ask for the numbers, get them, install them, and then whine because they don't work. Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Spend about 4 bills. Get yourself a ChromaPure/X-Rite meter package. Calibrate your own TV. Calibrate your friends/neighbors/relatives TVs and charge them a case of beer each time. You'll have your money back in nothing flat, will be able to calibrate all your TVs for years to come, and you'll drink for free.

Buzz

post #732 of 800 Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 PM

2nd settings seem to be better for my panel and my viewing habits ... but then again I only view in evenings in a dark'ish room ... with 1 light on in a corner. Still seems to lighten my blacks in the same way, but its an improvement overall from the first settings posted (-:

Thanks for sharing these !!!
post #733 of 800 Old 04-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs
2nd settings seem to be better for my panel and my viewing habits ... but then again I only view in evenings in a dark'ish room ... with 1 light on in a corner. Still seems to lighten my blacks in the same way, but its an improvement overall from the first settings posted (-:

Thanks for sharing these !!!
No problem...A's has been said already, you can't get perfect settings for your set without getting a meter and program, or paying a calibrator. If brightness seems off, try adjusting down. Can use a simple calibration disk such as avshd709 available here or something like digital video essentials. If you can't do either of these but you have a dvr, pause a show on a commercial break just as the show fades to black before the commercial starts. Adjust brightness down until you can't notice a difference and then bump it up by one and you should be good
post #734 of 800 Old 04-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Okay, sorry for so many postings with different settings...I promise they are all done with a meter! Haha! I'm really just getting used to how one thing affects others and how best to come to the best picture possible without sacrificing too much elsewhere...so far, this seems to the best for me so far on this set...based on the picture from these settings, I can't imagine the set getting much better I'm very happy and this is an improvement over my first two settings:

Mode: movie
Backlight: 5 at night, 8 during day
Contrast: 91
Brightness: 47
Sharpness: 34
Color: 50
Tint: g50/r50

Advanced settings
Black tone: off
Dynamic contrast: off
Shadow detail: 0
Gamma: -1 (got me very close to 2.2 gamma across the full scale)
Color space:
Red: r39, g0, b6
Green: r20, g64, b0
Blue: r17, g0, b58
Yellow: r46, g60, b0
Cyan: r29, g55, b53
Magenta: r45, g0, b66

White balance:
R-offset: 24
G-offset: 27
B-offset: 26
R-gain: 28
G-gain: 19
B-gain: 22

10p white balance:
1: 9,2,5
2: 7,1,5
3: 8,0,4
4: 7,0,3
5: 8,1,4
6: 7,2,2
7: 2,0,0
8: 2,0,1
9: 1,0,1
10: -5,1,-2

Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: off
xvYCC: off

Picture options:
Color tone: warm2
Size: screen fit
Digital noise filter: off
Mpeg noise filter: off
Amp: custom (blur 10, judder 3)
post #735 of 800 Old 04-13-2011, 10:00 AM

Hey all I'm a newbie,

Just picked up my 40c630 with an AA01 panel from BB.
I have been looking through this thread for a good calibration for my TV but with the different panels it was getting hard to filter through all those calibrations and panels.

I know everyone is different, but I was wondering what some of the more popular calibrations are with the AA01 panel. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bart
post #736 of 800 Old 04-16-2011, 08:53 PM

I just bought a LN40C630 set last night and at the time was unaware of the different panels for these sets. Ive seen alot about having either the AA02 or SQ01 panel but mine says AA05. Does anyone else have this panel? Ive read about the 'flashlighting' uniformity issues that some were experiencing with the AA panels. I havent noticed anything like this on mine (as of yet) other then the screen is slightly brighter closer to the edges. If I'm not mistaken thats pretty much across the board for LCD.

My second topic brings me to the Auto Motion Plus setting. The only thing hooked up to my TV at the moment is an Xbox 360. The Xbox only outputs at 60Hz. I find everything looks much better with the AMP turned off. Even with low custom settings of blur -3 and judder -1 I would still get that fast/jerky movment with dvd's. I seriously thought something was wrong when I first put a dvd in with the AMP at standard. Even with gaming I find the movement more natural with AMP off. I dont use game mode (because how it forces you to use the standard picture setting) but I did notice when game mode is on your AMP setting is grayed out. I guess my question is, is the AMP options only really effective for 120Hz sources?

Overall I am pleased with this set, especially for the price. With a few setting tweeks you can get a decent 'out of the box' picture. The black levels are very nice on this set, however there is some loss of detail in darker areas. I was surprised with the auto color setting under the Movie preset (warm 2). I will be getting this set professionally calibrated in July/Aug. I will post my before and after results for those that are interested.
post #737 of 800 Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 PM

Attachment 209325

Attachment 209326

Attachment 209327

not sure if this is a good way to see if there is any 'flashlighting' going on with my panel. the black bars look pretty even to me. this is just a normal dvd through my xbox via hdmi, i believe its being up-converted.
LL
LL
LL
post #738 of 800 Old 04-17-2011, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigrig View Post

Attachment 209325

Attachment 209326

Attachment 209327

not sure if this is a good way to see if there is any 'flashlighting' going on with my panel. the black bars look pretty even to me. this is just a normal dvd through my xbox via hdmi, i believe its being up-converted.

I test for flashlighting and clouding by displaying a 10% IRE "window" grayscale calibration pattern in a dark room. If a problem exists it will be seen. Most LCDs have some minor flaws and are nearly impossible to see when viewing normal content. If there are major problems like side to side black/gray uniformity or bright corner flashlighting I would suggest exchanging the unit for another one.

There has been no consensus of which panel is "best". Use your eyes to view your picture and make up your own mind.

Buzz

post #739 of 800 Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 AM

Really need your help

Uploaded 4 video file 2*720p and 2*1080p (15-20 sec duration).

http://www.2shared.com/video/NoQ-MPCz/V721.html
http://www.2shared.com/video/gaDutgIK/V722.html
http://www.2shared.com/video/KhTjuA_K/V1081.html
http://www.2shared.com/video/XDGEjReY/V1082.html

Can you pls playback them from usb at these settings;

(Video 721 and 722 : picture format " mode 2 " / motion plus " standart "
Video 1081 and 1082 : picture format " original or mode 1 " / motion plus " standart ")

and tell me, if you getting any corruption, pixelation or blurring when txt leaving screen at top like inside 2 cm area?

Trying to find is that a common problem or is it only my screen?
post #740 of 800 Old 05-21-2011, 12:51 PM

Hi everyone,
I need your help on this issue.
I just bought this model and i have a very bad quality with a lot of blurring.
Can enybody advice if i can fix this issue and if so how can i do it or if the TV has a problem and i have to send it back....
thanks!
post #741 of 800 Old 05-23-2011, 01:40 PM

Hey Buzz,
You think you can help me out and tell me how to saturate and desaturate the primaries and secondary colors in the cms?I'm using an x2 meter with calman 4.2.luckily I've gotten the luminance and hue down,but I can't seem to tame the saturation for blue and yellow.any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #742 of 800 Old 06-04-2011, 03:55 PM

hi guys, can someone with a meter check the light output of the c650 (AA01 panel)when the backlight is at 0 or 2? thanks!
post #743 of 800 Old 06-04-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezaina View Post

hi guys, can someone with a meter check the light output of the c650 (AA01 panel)when the backlight is at 0 or 2? thanks!

Output will vary with Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, and age of the TV.

Buzz

post #744 of 800 Old 06-05-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:

Output will vary with Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, and age of the TV.

ok, but can you measure the luminance of your calibrated screen when the backlight is set to 0 or 2? because on a pitch black room even on backlight 4 my eyes hurt a bit, so i wanted to put the backlight at a minimum value but without compromising the standard 30fL luminance recomendation for LCD. sorry for my bad english and thank you for all the efforts you've made on this thread.
post #745 of 800 Old 06-05-2011, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezaina View Post

ok, but can you measure the luminance of your calibrated screen when the backlight is set to 0 or 2? because on a pitch black room even on backlight 4 my eyes hurt a bit, so i wanted to put the backlight at a minimum value but without compromising the standard 30fL luminance recomendation for LCD. sorry for my bad english and thank you for all the efforts you've made on this thread.

I'm unable to take a measurement as I am at another residence until October.

If your eyes are hurting your screen is definitely too bright. Your backlight of 4 is normal enough for a dark environment. Make sure you have brightness set with a pluge because you don't want to use that control for overall luminance. Also, set Gamma at 0. The final step is to turn down Contrast one click at a time until your eyes are comfortable.

Buzz

post #746 of 800 Old 06-07-2011, 12:38 PM

Thought I'd share my calibration settings for an LE40C630 with an SQ03 panel. Calibration was done using the free HCFR Colorimeter software and an Eyeone Display LT colorimeter using guidelines found in these threads:

xttp://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
xttp://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

The settings I ended up with are:

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 5
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 43
Sharpness: 0
Color: 48
Tint: G51/R49

Advanced settings
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Content: Off
Shadow Detail: 0
Gamma: +1
Color Space: Custom
__R = 54 0 0
__G = 53 51 0
__B = 28 12 70
__Y = 49 49 0
__C = 50 50 50
__M = 50 0 59

White Balance
__offset: R26 G25 B25
__gain: R27 G26 B17

10 Point White Balance
__1: +1 0 +1
__2: +1 -1 +1
__3: 0 0 +1
__4: 0 +3 +2
__5: +1 +1 +4
__6: +1 0 +3
__7: +1 +1 +1
__8: 0 +1 0
__9: +2 +2 0
__10: +1 +2 0

Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off

Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm2
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
Film Mode: Auto1
Auto Motion Plus: Custom
__Blur: 10
__Judder: 0

This being my first ever attempt at calibrating anything I'm pretty pleased with the results. As far as I can tell by the graphs in HCFR Colorimeter (see below) the only thing that's slightly off is my gamma which is around 2.3 instead of the 2.2 I was aiming for. Maybe a recal with gamma set to +2 might fix that. Any comments or tips regarding this are most welcome.

... rats, not allowed to post urls , hope you can manage without em.

Graphs:

RGB values:
xttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/dmrazor/le40c630%20calibration/rgb-levels.jpg

Luminance:
xttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/dmrazor/le40c630%20calibration/luminance.jpg

Gamma:
xttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/dmrazor/le40c630%20calibration/gamma.jpg

CIE diagram:
xttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/dmrazor/le40c630%20calibration/cie-color.jpg
post #747 of 800 Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

The graphs are too small to see properly.

To get your gamma down if you can't do it with the preset, bump contrast, 2 pt WB, or 10 pt WB up a click or two. If your software has both GS Balance and Gamma on the same page so that you can see them both simultaneously like in the attached ChromaPure screen print, do it with the 10 point for a nice flat line.
LL

Buzz

post #748 of 800 Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 PM

Hey Buzzard,

Man o man, I thing I have some kind of obsession of making my panel look as perfect as I can get it. I have been looking at all of your settings and I believe ski's as well.

Now, I know this is a un40c630, but I have the new un46d6000 and I'm sure the settings you have posted will work just the same for the new samsung model this year. What do you think?

One difference in this years model is that the back light goes all the way up to 20. I have mine set at 12, what do you think I should set mine at? If you'r is at 5 and goes to 10 and mine goes to 20, maybe I should try 10.

Lastly, are you using this picture setting for everything (HD Cable, Blu-Ray, video games etc)?

I would love some insight because you and ski seem like pros as I'm just somewhat of a rookie here.

Thank you so much!
post #749 of 800 Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:

The graphs are too small to see properly.

Ah... I linked the thumbnails instead of the larger images. Has been corrected now.

Quote:

To get your gamma down if you can't do it with the preset, bump contrast, 2 pt WB, or 10 pt WB up a click or two. If your software has both GS Balance and Gamma on the same page so that you can see them both simultaneously like in the attached ChromaPure screen print, do it with the 10 point for a nice flat line.

Can't see both in the same screen with HCFR but I'll give it a try with Gamma=+2 first and redo the whole calibration to see what happens.

Raz.
post #750 of 800 Old 06-08-2011, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist01 View Post

Now, I know this is a un40c630, but I have the new un46d6000 and I'm sure the settings you have posted will work just the same for the new samsung model this year. What do you think?

Lastly, are you using this picture setting for everything (HD Cable, Blu-Ray, video games etc)?

Using someone else's settings only gives you 50% odds that your picture will be improved because all TVs are different. Were that not the case the displays could be properly set up at the factory and there would be no need for calibration.

My display was calibrated via the BD player in use so it's perfect for that device. Yes, I use the same numbers for other inputs, a Roku box and an RG76 cable. The content is so varied on these last two that you need to live with what you get. The content providers are not nearly as standardized as we would like to see.

Buzz

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page