AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung LNxxC630 Calibration/Settings Thread

321K views 799 replies 190 participants last post by  Sanguix 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I know there is currently an owners thread for the C630/C650 but I wanted to create this thread for people to post the best settings they have found for the C630 specifically.

Also, please include weather it is best settings for gaming or HD programming or sports or movies.

We will try to decide and pick the best ones for each category.

Thanks!

#654 ·
Hi there,

Thanks for this great thread.

I've had my led samsung for a couple of weeks now, but can't seem to sort the picture out. the problem is that bright colours, especially whites are so bright that there is no definition at all. If for example someone is wearing a white shirt, then i can't make out any detail as it is just so bright, same goes for pictures with anything with bright colours not just white yet all the other colours in the image seem ok. I think i've tryed all the settings but to no avail.

This is my first post here, so hope someone can help me.

#656 ·
To add to my above post - it just occurred to me that your picture setting is probably in the "brilliant" mode. Switch to "movie" for starters.

Then go through the menu and turn off everything that says auto or dynamic or eco.

Set brightness around 50 and contrast about 90. If the colors are still too bright turn down "color" until you get what pleases you. This should give you a watchable picture.

Now go download, burn, and use the disc referenced above and do the basic calibration.

If this doesn't work, exchange your TV.

#660 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/19723099

Don't copy someone else's white balance settings. Jeeze. No way it will work for you.

Actually it depends on your definition of "work". All I care about is, does it look better or worse than the default setting. It doesn't have to be technically perfect for me. I've found posts like yours to be extremely useful in making significant improvements to my PQ.

I did my own calibration with a calibration blue ray for the easy stuff: brightness, contrast, color, backlight, etc. This improved my picture considerably. There is no easy way to adjust white balance without spending serious cash. I'm willing to settle for whatever improvements I can get.

#661 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasusGS /forum/post/19963942

Hi there,

Thanks for this great thread.

I've had my led samsung for a couple of weeks now, but can't seem to sort the picture out. the problem is that bright colours, especially whites are so bright that there is no definition at all. If for example someone is wearing a white shirt, then i can't make out any detail as it is just so bright, same goes for pictures with anything with bright colours not just white yet all the other colours in the image seem ok. I think i've tryed all the settings but to no avail.

This is my first post here, so hope someone can help me.

I had the same problem with my samsung! I was able to correct it when I set it to movie mode, calibrated the brightness (46 on mine) and turned the backlight down to 7. I was frustrated in using the calibration disc at first because turning down the contrast didn't eliminate the clipping (like the disc said it would).

#662 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucid_one /forum/post/19971861

Actually it depends on your definition of "work". All I care about is, does it look better or worse than the default setting. It doesn't have to be technically perfect for me. I've found posts like yours to be extremely useful in making significant improvements to my PQ.

I did my own calibration with a calibration blue ray for the easy stuff: brightness, contrast, color, backlight, etc. This improved my picture considerably. There is no easy way to adjust white balance without spending serious cash. I'm willing to settle for whatever improvements I can get.
Don't worry. It won't be. LOL

There is NO way to adjust white balance without a meter and software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucid_one /forum/post/19971896

I had the same problem with my samsung! I was able to correct it when I set it to movie mode, calibrated the brightness (46 on mine) and turned the backlight down to 7. I was frustrated in using the calibration disc at first because turning down the contrast didn't eliminate the clipping (like the disc said it would).

Try reducing the color control a few points and see what happens. And make sure you're in the movie mode because brilliant oversaturates the colors so much you can't bring them back to reality.

#663 ·
The artifict I've noticed with Tivo premiere (with SD cable) and my HD dvd player (but not my blu-ray player). When people move their head quickly there is a red splotch for just a second where there lips were. Is this motion blur? If I turn on any automotion then I get what looks like dropped frames on 1080p content (sd seems ok).

Is there anything that can help with blur? Also, are there any settings you might want on for TV that you would leave off for blue ray?

#664 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/19972123

Don't worry. It won't be. LOL

There is NO way to adjust white balance without a meter and software.

With a sufficient grayscale gradient shouldn't it be possible to do a rough adjust by eye? If you can't see the difference maybe it doesn't matter?
I must be missing some key information otherwise they would include this as on the calibration disc with information on how to rough adjust white balance.

#665 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucid_one /forum/post/19973759

With a sufficient grayscale gradient shouldn't it be possible to do a rough adjust by eye? If you can't see the difference maybe it doesn't matter?
I must be missing some key information otherwise they would include this as on the calibration disc with information on how to rough adjust white balance.

Looking at a gray gradient helps to verify that gamma and contrast are correct and what you would see would be luminance differences or color shift (pinkishness). The only way you can adjust grayscale is with a meter and software. Color is built on top of grayscale, so if grayscale is incorrect, so will be the colors.

A calibration disc is great for the basics:

1. brightness

2. contrast

3. color

4. hue

5. sharpness

6. color clipping

That's where it ends.

Grayscale, color (saturation, hue, & luminance), and gamma require a meter and software. Don't confuse "color" in this paragraph with that in numbers 3 and 4 above. They are not the same thing and/or work differently.

Samsung really ought to label white balance, 10 pt. white balance, and the Color Management System "For Professional Use Only".

For some of that "key information" you're asking about I suggest you start here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585527

#666 ·
I am probably picking up a LN46C630 this week. I don't want 3D (its not mature enough of a technology for me yet and I'd rather not watch content in 3D unless at the theater) and I don't want an LED LCD do to all of the issues people seem to have with them. And it seems like this TV beats a lot of the LED LCD's and other LCD's as far as picture quality and black levels is concerned from what I have read so far. I heard that this TV has all of the picture controls as Samsung's high end TVs. So does that mean that this TV has a built in blue filter for calibration?

Also maybe I can get some thoughts on this. I currently have an LN46A550. If you don't remember it was a 60Hz 1080p set. The reason I want to upgrade is to step up to 120Hz deeper black levels and maybe better picture quality. Is it a worthy upgrade? BTW this LN46C630 is almost half the price I paid for my LN46A550.

#667 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Brown
I heard that this TV has all of the picture controls as Samsung's high end TVs. So does that mean that this TV has a built in blue filter for calibration?
Yes to the blue only mode.

The 600 series has, in the user menu, all of the controls required for a complete Grayscale and 3D Color Management System calibration. The attachment is from a 55C650 I calibrated recently. As can be seen, the results are outstanding.

JeanReduced.pdf 231.9716796875k . file

#668 ·
In post 662 above I made a comment about clipping and thought I'd elaborate. Movie mode and Warm 2 is the Color Tone most often used for calibration as it normally most closely approximates the Rec. 709 HD standards. Samsung has apparently elected to add red push to its displays and as a result red gets clipped even when Contrast is properly set. What I have seen in both 630 and 650 LCDs is the inability to fix red clipping by reducing Contrast. What does work, however, is to reduce the Color control by a few points.

The color clipping pattern is available on both the free AVSHD disc as well as the Spears & Munsil disc. I'm not sure about the others.

#669 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/19976292

In post 662 above I made a comment about clipping and thought I'd elaborate. Movie mode and Warm 2 is the Color Tone most often used for calibration as it normally most closely approximates the Rec. 709 HD standards. Samsung has apparently elected to add red push to its displays and as a result red gets clipped even when Contrast is properly set. What I have seen in both 630 and 650 LCDs is the inability to fix red clipping by reducing Contrast. What does work, however, is to reduce the Color control by a few points.

The color clipping pattern is available on both the free AVSHD disc as well as the Spears & Munsil disc. I'm not sure about the others.

Thanks Buzz.

Are you still using the same settings you posted here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=404

Just currious if you have made any changes since you posted it. I am new to this and I am probably reading the settings wrong, but it looks like Red is increased on your settings. Maybe when you said to reduce the color control, you are just takling about the entier color setting, not the individual one.

#670 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying.to.learn /forum/post/19979711

Thanks Buzz.

Are you still using the same settings you posted here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=404

Just currious if you have made any changes since you posted it. I am new to this and I am probably reading the settings wrong, but it looks like Red is increased on your settings. Maybe when you said to reduce the color control, you are just takling about the entier color setting, not the individual one.

Yes, the grayscale and color management system settings are the same. These require a meter to adjust.

The basic settings like brightness and contrast I play with all the time. The reason is because 90% of the content viewed on this display is HD cable and every network, channel, program, and individual camera is different.

When I mentioned the color control for reducing color clipping I am talking about menu > picture > color (right under sharpness). It's something of a back door method of taming color clipping. The Contrast control should take care of this but it isn't doing its job on some of the 600's.

#671 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/19976143

Yes to the blue only mode.

The 600 series has, in the user menu, all of the controls required for a complete Grayscale and 3D Color Management System calibration. The attachment is from a 55C650 I calibrated recently. As can be seen, the results are outstanding.

Hey Buzz,I would like to thank you for sharing all of your knowledge and tv numbers with us all.I have a ln55c630 with an SQ1 panel.I tried your recent settings for your 40 SQ2 panel and I'd like to say that they are pretty dead-on on my tv(considering our different panels).I was wondering if that 55c650 that you calibrated was a panel similar to ours,and if so,was there much of a difference on the numbers you came up with compared to your 40?

#672 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaine /forum/post/19981397

Hey Buzz,I would like to thank you for sharing all of your knowledge and tv numbers with us all.I have a ln55c630 with an SQ1 panel.I tried your recent settings for your 40 SQ2 panel and I'd like to say that they are pretty dead-on on my tv(considering our different panels).I was wondering if that 55c650 that you calibrated was a panel similar to ours,and if so,was there much of a difference on the numbers you came up with compared to your 40?

I don't recall which panel it had and I didn't copy the numbers. I doubt the settings would be close but ??? That set was brand new when I calibrated it so I'm going to check it for drift in a week or two. I'll take a look.

#675 ·
Hi guys,

I just bought a LN46C630 w/ SQ5 panel.

I have no calibration experience and am trying to do the basic with the AVSHD 709 disc (AVCHD).

When I get to the point of adjusting the contrast, at 100% it still shows bars all the away across ( to lvl 253). I can't even get close to displaying bars only up to level 240.

Does this mean there is something wrong with the tv ? Am I not doing something correctly?

I'm in movie mode with baclight at 0 and brightness adjusted to 45 per the guide. I have turned of all the auto settings and AMP.

#676 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPA01 /forum/post/19995174

Hi guys,

I just bought a LN46C630 w/ SQ5 panel.

I have no calibration experience and am trying to do the basic with the AVSHD 709 disc (AVCHD).

When I get to the point of adjusting the contrast, at 100% it still shows bars all the away across ( to lvl 253). I can't even get close to displaying bars only up to level 240.

Does this mean there is something wrong with the tv ? Am I not doing something correctly?

I'm in movie mode with baclight at 0 and brightness adjusted to 45 per the guide. I have turned of all the auto settings and AMP.

It's fine. Watch the included HD Nation HDTV Calibration videos if you haven't yet, they should be included on the disc. If you downloaded the MP4 version then check the HDTV Calibration directory, it has links to those episodes. They go through the basic calibrations using the same calibration disc. And they do mention if I recall correctly that some TVs show all of the bars in which case just set it as high as you can without color changes (the colors might turn pinkish at some point so pay attention to that). My C650 SQ01 TV displays all of the bars as well.

edit: And in fact, they recommend that all bars be displayed since some movies have details above the 240 level.

#677 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPA01 /forum/post/19995174

Modern digital displays often allow 100% contrast without clipping white. That doesn't mean it's the correct setting. First of all, the picture is probably too bright at 100%. Check the grayscale ramp pattern for color shift.

From here : Misc. Patterns (A), A4, Color Clipping - Use this to check that none of the three primaries, red, green, and blue, are being clipped. If one or more are you need to adjust the contrast control and/or the color control. Edit: I've seen two 600 series Samsung LCDs where reducing contrast did not help clipped reds. In those two cases, the color control needed to be reduced slightly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.