AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung LNxxC630 Calibration/Settings Thread

321K views 799 replies 190 participants last post by  Sanguix 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I know there is currently an owners thread for the C630/C650 but I wanted to create this thread for people to post the best settings they have found for the C630 specifically.

Also, please include weather it is best settings for gaming or HD programming or sports or movies.

We will try to decide and pick the best ones for each category.

Thanks!

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohitek /forum/post/18508331

Greetings,

I know there is currently an owners thread for the C630/C650 but I wanted to create this thread for people to post the best settings they have found for the C630 specifically.

Also, please include weather it is best settings for gaming or HD programming or sports or movies.

Thanks!

yes finally someone post their settings

im a recent owner of a 46c630, and having some trouble playing online games via ps3. I currently tried game mode still lags, and hdmi/pc and have NO lag but picture quality is not so good with hdmi 1.

How come when watching my hdmi 2 comcast dvr and when i try to change the black levels its stuck to "normal" i want to change it to "Low". I could change it to "low" in my hdmi 1 connected to my ps3.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohitek /forum/post/18508331

greetings,

i know there is currently an owners thread for the c630/c650 but i wanted to create this thread for people to post the best settings they have found for the c630 specifically.

Also, please include weather it is best settings for gaming or hd programming or sports or movies.

Thanks!

hd tv

natural

backlight 15

contrast 100

brightness 45

sharpness 70

color 35

color tone normal

size screen fit

digital noise filter low

mpeg noise filter low

film mode auto2

automotion off

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneymng /forum/post/18508353

How come when watching my hdmi 2 comcast dvr and when i try to change the black levels its stuck to "normal" i want to change it to "Low". I could change it to "low" in my hdmi 1 connected to my ps3.

You aren't outputting RGB from your cable box (HDMI black level is an RGB thing only), but are displaying Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr instead. If you want to be able to play with the HDMI black level setting while watching TV you're going to have to turn it on via the service menu of the cable box. You get to this menu by (assuming you have the same comcast hd cable box i have) turning off the box, then hitting the menu button twice on the cable box remote. There are a number of items in here you can mess around with but I would be careful. Anyway once you turn on RGB mode you have access to the HDMI black level but be ready to rework your TV picture settings for RGB as it will probably look a bit different than it did with Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr. Which mode is better in what situations is a different debate altogether. I'd love to know myself.

#8 ·
I have the LN55C630 which has the SQ01 Ultra Clear Panel glossy screen. Its designed to be used in dark rooms because ambient light reflects off the screen and gives off a rainbow effect as well. I have it in my bedroom which is very dark, so these settings are designed for a dark room. The smaller C630 TVs have the semi-matte screen so I can't guarantee my settings for those TV but who knows, they might be fine. The C650 models however have the same glossy panel I have so these setting should match up well. I use my PS3 as my Blu Ray player and gaming device. I used the THX option on the Terminator 2 Blu Ray for calibration and obtaining these settings.

PS3 Settings

Video Settings

BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI): Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr

BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI): On

Display Settings

Video Output Settings: 1080p

RGB Full Range (HDMI): Full

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI): On

TV Settings

Mode: Movie

Backlight: 6

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 32

Sharpness: 7

Color: 50

Tint (G/R): G50/R50

Eco Solution: All off

Auto Adjustment: Grayed out

Screen: Grayed out

Advanced Settings

Black Tone: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Shadow Detail: 0

Gamma: +2

Expert Pattern: Off

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color Space: Auto

White Balance: All 25 (Don't have anything to calibrate this setting with)

10p White Balance: Off (Don't have anything to calibrate this setting with)

Flesh Tone: 0

Edge Enhancement: Off

xvYCC: Off

Picture Options

Color Tone: Warm 1 or 2

Size: Screen Fit

Digital Noise Filter: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

HDMI Black Level: Normal (Grayed out)

Film Mode: Off

Auto Motion Plus 120hz: Off

Auto Protection Time: 2 hours

When I play PS3 games I switch the TV to Gaming Mode which is accessible via the Setup section of the Menu Screen. Once in Gaming Mode I changed all the picture settings to what I have above. The only difference should be the picture mode which can only be Standard.

Edit: When watching HDTV via the cable box I turn Dynamic Contrast to Low because I feel some shows look like they're missing a little pop. This hasn't seemed to cause any issues with ABL or floating blacks like I was afraid it would, which is great. Also make sure you're outputting the Digital Cable in Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr not RGB for these settings.

#9 ·
I just ordered a 40" 630 today and I should be taking delivery on May 4th (hey, my birthday). I'm presently reading the owner's manual and I see that there are some excellent calibration features available in the user menu when in the movie mode. I think that's Samsung's 2010 new deal to keep us from messing around in the service menu. LOL

10p White Balance (Off / On)■■: Controls the white balance in 10 point interval by adjusting the red, green, and blue brightness.

Available when the picture mode is set to ✎✎Movie and when the external input is set to all input.

Some external devices may not support this ✎✎function.

Interval: Select interval to adjust.

Red: Adjust the red level.

Green: Adjust the green level.

Blue: Adjust the blue level.

Reset: Resets the 10p White Balance to its default settings.

Flesh Tone■■: Emphasize

That's super. I'll be calibrating it with a Chroma 5 Colorimeter so hopefully I can come up with some good numbers. Remember, though, that every unit is different.

Buzz

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/18533557

I just ordered a 40" 630 today and I should be taking delivery on May 4th (hey, my birthday). I'm presently reading the owner's manual and I see that there are some excellent calibration features available in the user menu when in the movie mode. I think that's Samsung's 2010 new deal to keep us from messing around in the service menu. LOL

10p White Balance (Off / On)■■: Controls the white balance in 10 point interval by adjusting the red, green, and blue brightness.

Available when the picture mode is set to ✎✎Movie and when the external input is set to all input.

That's super. I'll be calibrating it with a Chroma 5 Colorimeter so hopefully I can come up with some good numbers. Remember, though, that every unit is different.

Buzz

Nice, let us know what you come up with.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/18533557

Buzz

Definitely let us know your settings! I have a 40C630 as well, version SQO2.

#12 ·
Hi everyone. Just ordered the LN40C630, my first HDTV, and I have some questions that might have 'duh' answers, or maybe not. I ask here instead of the main LNxxC630/650 thread because it seems more gamers are watching this one:

1 - Can you create custom display settings for different inputs? (Wii, Xbox 360, PSP via component, DirectTV box, etc). I read somewhere that the TV automatically detects the input in question, but I wanted to make sure. If so, how many 'customs' can you have?

2 - Can Game Mode be adjusted? I don't want lag, but I don't want a dark screen either, and some people have mentioned darkness as a Game Mode side-effect.

Can't wait to get this baby on Thursday
I'll be sure to contribute my settings for the devices listed above.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydekyle /forum/post/18539743

Hi everyone. Just ordered the LN40C630, my first HDTV, and I have some questions that might have 'duh' answers, or maybe not. I ask here instead of the main LNxxC630/650 thread because it seems more gamers are watching this one:

1 - Can you create custom display settings for different inputs? (Wii, Xbox 360, PSP via component, DirectTV box, etc). I read somewhere that the TV automatically detects the input in question, but I wanted to make sure. If so, how many 'customs' can you have?

2 - Can Game Mode be adjusted? I don't want lag, but I don't want a dark screen either, and some people have mentioned darkness as a Game Mode side-effect.

Can't wait to get this baby on Thursday
I'll be sure to contribute my settings for the devices listed above.

1. You can customize 4 different viewing modes for each input. So ya you won't have any customization limitations.

2. Game Mode locks the picture mode at standard, so only one mode is available for customization, but it is indeed customizable. Turning on game mode locks out Auto Motion Plus 120hz however, but having it on would sort of defeat the purpose of game mode anyway.

#14 ·
Posted this in the regular thread.. seems more at home here.

Edit: This is for Blu Ray playback-

Hey everyone, just thought I'd chime in with calibration settings on my 46C630 using a Sony BDP-360 Blu Ray player.

I'd been a bit disappointed with the black level on the 630 as the picture was a bit washed out and I really didn't want to set the Dynamic Contrast too high. I went into the Blu Ray player's settings and changed the color space from Auto (which was a YCbCr space) to RGB (0-255). This enables the HDMI Black Level on the 630 to be changed from Normal to Low, which in my opinion makes a world of difference. Here are my settings with this RGB colorspace:

Mode: Standard

Backlight: 10

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 47

Sharpness: 30

Color: 57

Eco Solution: All Off

Advanced Settings:

Black Tone: Dark

Gamma: +2 (brightens things up just a bit)

Color Space: Native

Picture Options:

Color Tone: Warm1

HDMI Black Level: Low

AMP 120hz: Off

All settings not mentioned are default.

Any feedback is welcome..

#15 ·
Thanks Video, for the BR settings. Can you post your normal TV viewing settings as well? Also, as a newbie with this et, is there a way to lock in my settings for TV, DVD/BR etc. so that I can easily switch from one to another without needing to manually set again?

Thanks!

#19 ·
My 40" 630 arrived today. The panel is an SQ02 as expected which is what I wanted as it will be hanging on the wall of a naturally lighted very bright room.

Attachment 174619

I took a look at the service menu and it doesn't seem to offer anything for calibration.

Attachment 174620

Fortunately the user menu has a bunch of options so calibration can be accomplished from there.

Bear in mind that I'm new to calibrating with anything other than a disk so I'm getting my feet wet with an X-Rite Chroma 5 Colorimeter and ChromaPure software.

The factory setup for the TV input "looks" very nice so I'm putting that on the back burner. I did some calibration work using HDMI 1 in the Movie Mode with HD images from ChromaPure that I had burned on a DVD. I didn't have too much time available today and I'm sure I can improve greatly on my results so far. One thing is for sure, the present picture looks much better than the factory settings (sky high blue) and I'll post as my numbers get better.

Attachment 174621

Attachment 174622

If anyone is interested in what my numbers are so far please chime in and I'll post them as soon as I can.

Buzz

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videodrome /forum/post/18559621

Hey everyone, just thought I'd chime in with calibration settings on my 46C630 using a Sony BDP-360 Blu Ray player.

I'd been a bit disappointed with the black level on the 630 as the picture was a bit washed out and I really didn't want to set the Dynamic Contrast too high. I went into the Blu Ray player's settings and changed the color space from Auto (which was a YCbCr space) to RGB (0-255). This enables the HDMI Black Level on the 630 to be changed from Normal to Low, which in my opinion makes a world of difference. Here are my settings with this RGB colorspace:

Advanced Settings:

Picture Options:

if you have the bluray player set to output RGB 0-255, then the tv should have the HDMI Black Leval set to 'Normal'

#21 ·
^Yup. If you use RGB 0-255 and set HDMI Black Level to Low, you'll be clipping black (0-15) and white (236-255) levels. If you want more pop, try playing around with the brightness (black level), contrast (white level) and gamma . Try upping your contrast (usually Samsung's can be set near 100 without affecting the PQ too much) then try playing around with the brightness and gamma settings as well. Not sure how the C series are, but with older Samsungs, setting the gamma slider higher has the opposite effect on the gamma reading (higher setting on the slider gives a lower gamma reading). A higher gamma reading will have poorer shadow detail but it will give more pop. So if you move the gamma slider lower, it should give you more pop. Having a basic setup disc is essential if you want to at least get the contrast and brightness set properly.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/18579729

My 40" 630 arrived today. The panel is an SQ02 as expected which is what I wanted as it will be hanging on the wall of a naturally lighted very bright room.

Attachment 174619

I took a look at the service menu and it doesn't seem to offer anything for calibration.

Attachment 174620

Fortunately the user menu has a bunch of options so calibration can be accomplished from there.

Bear in mind that I'm new to calibrating with anything other than a disk so I'm getting my feet wet with an X-Rite Chroma 5 Colorimeter and ChromaPure software.

The factory setup for the TV input "looks" very nice so I'm putting that on the back burner. I did some calibration work using HDMI 1 in the Movie Mode with HD images from ChromaPure that I had burned on a DVD. I didn't have too much time available today and I'm sure I can improve greatly on my results so far. One thing is for sure, the present picture looks much better than the factory settings (sky high blue) and I'll post as my numbers get better.

Attachment 174621

Attachment 174622

If anyone is interested in what my numbers are so far please chime in and I'll post them as soon as I can.

Buzz

I'm very interested in what numbers you're getting.

#23 ·
2nd calibration from the neophyte. Better results although red and magenta are a bit high. I watched Fargo on DVD and the picture looked very good although I 1) wish I had a movie I knew well so I could comment on relativity, and 2) I don't have any Blu-ray discs on hand (will tomorrow though).

Post calibration black level measured .014

Source: HDMI1

Mode: Movie

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 48

Sharpness: 7

Color: 63

Tint (G/R): G50/R50

Eco Solution: All off

Advanced Settings

Black Tone: Off

Shadow Detail: 0

Gamma: +1

Expert Pattern: Off

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color Space: Custom

White Balance:

Red offset 26

G 24

B 22

Red Gain 32

G 24

B 22

10 Pt white balance on but didn't use (yet)

Flesh Tone: 0

Picture Options

Color Tone: Warm 2`

Size: 19:9

Auto Motion Plus 120hz: Standard

Auto Protection Time: 2 hours

Attachment 174671

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/18579963

^Yup. If you use RGB 0-255 and set HDMI Black Level to Low, you'll be clipping black (0-15) and white (236-255) levels. If you want more pop, try playing around with the brightness (black level), contrast (white level) and gamma . Try upping your contrast (usually Samsung's can be set near 100 without affecting the PQ too much) then try playing around with the brightness and gamma settings as well. Not sure how the C series are, but with older Samsungs, setting the gamma slider higher has the opposite effect on the gamma reading (higher setting on the slider gives a lower gamma reading). A higher gamma reading will have poorer shadow detail but it will give more pop. So if you move the gamma slider lower, it should give you more pop. Having a basic setup disc is essential if you want to at least get the contrast and brightness set properly.

Yep, I read a bit about this and changed the Colorspace back to Auto and was able to get a comparable picture by lowering the backlight down to 5.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videodrome /forum/post/18559621

Advanced Settings:

Picture Options:

A couple of comments.

If you have a DVD with the THX logo, you should be able to find the THX Optimizer inside the DVD menu. You can use it to adjust your Brightness, Contrast, Color and Tint settings. In addition, there is a color bar with Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Magenta and Cyan that you can use to adjust each individual color in the color space (using the "CUSTOM" setting). Doing this will make a world of difference to your picture quality.

Also, if you are having problems with the black level, I noticed that you have your Backlight at 10. There's your problem. Drop the backlight and your black levels will dramatically improve. I recommend 5 or 6. Trust me that its still plenty bright enough, even for daytime viewing.

Also, Dynamic Contrast settings can add just that little bit of extra "pop" to your picture. Experiment with the various settings to see if you like any of them. I don't recommend putting it at the high setting unless you watch a ton of animation (Dynamic Contrast makes animation pop like nobody's business!) as high mode makes live action material look garish. Low or Medium settings can work fine depending on your sources. I have mine set to Low and everything looks good from HD cable, to DVD to Blu Ray.

Also, you may want to experiment with your Sharpness settings. LCD is so sharp and crisp, most LCD owners around these parts turn it all the way down to 0 to help reduce some of the artifacts associated with the heavy compression used with Cable or Satellite. I've tested my own LCD at various Sharpness settings and determined that there is very little difference between 0 and 30 with good quality DVD and BD sources and dropping the Sharpness to 0 does help (somewhat) with Cable sources without making the picture look too soft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.