Official Samsung LNXXC750 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 482 Old 09-01-2010, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick reply.

With the pictures of the solid gray screens, backlight was set to 2. In the picture of the solid black screen, backlight was set to 10. With the rest of the pictures, it was set to 5.

I've done much tweaking. I've included the rest of the settings in my original post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 482 Old 09-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prs563 View Post

With the pictures of the solid gray screens, backlight was set to 2. In the picture of the solid black screen, backlight was set to 10. With the rest of the pictures, it was set to 5.

I've done much tweaking. I've included the rest of the settings in my original post.

So, after 1 week with this tv, how would you rate it?? do you like it?? any comments, impressions?? are you satisfied so far??
post #273 of 482 Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

My 46" is exactly the same way. It's an SQ01 panel and is great if you are right on center, but deviation up or down and side to side definitely wash out the picture and the blacks of course. I'm not very happy about it to be quite honest and now I have to decide if I want to move to another set.
post #274 of 482 Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prs563 View Post

Can you explain why you are using three different backlight settings? What are your contrast and brightness set at? On at least one picture it appeared that the white letters on a black background were overexposed.

Samsung 46A750, Panasonic BD35, Dish 722
post #275 of 482 Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjfoien View Post

Can you explain why you are using three different backlight settings? What are your contrast and brightness set at? On at least one picture it appeared that the white letters on a black background were overexposed.

My contrast was at 98 and brightness was at 46. I just noticed that it was included when I copy-pasted the settings. Thanks for pointing that out.

The guy who made the gray images wanted to have the backlight set at 2. For the black one, I set it at 10 to show the vertical bands and change in black levels more clearly.

It is really noticeable especially in credits and really dark scenes. I normally watch my movies at 5 backlight.
post #276 of 482 Old 09-04-2010, 03:37 AM

just got my 46c750 today from amazon. still on stock settings ie warm2, color auto etc. It replaces a 40a750. Panel is sq01. Backlight is really really strong. One web review which im sure you all read suggested a backlight of 7. That was way too bright for me gave me a headache so i set it at 5. Excellent uniformity, almost no flashlighting, zero clouding. Firmware is 1020 (still wary of updating the firmware). 3d yes there is ghosting but really didn't detract from my enjoyment. I see the grid pattern that some were talking about when i was inspecting the panel using the gallery mode from the menu which shows the jpgs in torch mode. I don't really notice it with normal settings. Probably due to the ultra clear panel stuff they put on the screen. I'm willing to make that trade for excellent uniformity and black levels. Gaming, haven't tried but if lag is an issue i will just get a large pc monitor with a tn panel.

Overall very very happy with this set. I tried the c8000 plasma but its grey blacks , excessive dithering even in 2d, and the real black coating that restricted vertical viewing angles made me return it. I definitely think this set is one of the best deals around.

After much research came to the conclusion that both led and plasma are far far from perfect and no amount of research or money spent will buy you the perfect set. we are all just making do until oled arrives. I also got caught up and became a neurotic nitpicker for a while. Realized like some have already said here that the whole point of buying a tv is to watch and enjoy it.

My opinion is not an experts but from what i've seen i really love this set.
post #277 of 482 Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmichii View Post

just got my 46c750 today from amazon. still on stock settings ie warm2, color auto etc. It replaces a 40a750. Panel is sq01. Backlight is really really strong. One web review which im sure you all read suggested a backlight of 7. That was way too bright for me gave me a headache so i set it at 5. Excellent uniformity, almost no flashlighting, zero clouding. Firmware is 1020 (still wary of updating the firmware). 3d yes there is ghosting but really didn't detract from my enjoyment. I see the grid pattern that some were talking about when i was inspecting the panel using the gallery mode from the menu which shows the jpgs in torch mode. I don't really notice it with normal settings. Probably due to the ultra clear panel stuff they put on the screen. I'm willing to make that trade for excellent uniformity and black levels. Gaming, haven't tried but if lag is an issue i will just get a large pc monitor with a tn panel.

Overall very very happy with this set. I tried the c8000 plasma but its grey blacks , excessive dithering even in 2d, and the real black coating that restricted vertical viewing angles made me return it. I definitely think this set is one of the best deals around.

After much research came to the conclusion that both led and plasma are far far from perfect and no amount of research or money spent will buy you the perfect set. we are all just making do until oled arrives. I also got caught up and became a neurotic nitpicker for a while. Realized like some have already said here that the whole point of buying a tv is to watch and enjoy it.

My opinion is not an experts but from what i've seen i really love this set.

I suspect that you are a one person household. How are the horizontal viewing angles on the C750? I have read 1 "good" and 1 "bad."
post #278 of 482 Old 09-07-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 View Post

I suspect that you are a one person household. How are the horizontal viewing angles on the C750? I have read 1 "good" and 1 "bad."

mmmm, good and bad i guess. I think it has a lot to do with the coating on the panel. I suspect it might not be too different from what they are using on the led sets. it washes out but not as bad as the led sets from samsung. BUT it looks so good in the sweet spot so its kind of a trade off. its an lcd pva panel and it acts like one. in comparison my 40a750 doesn't drop off so dramatically off angle but on center the blacks aren't so striking. The coating is different then the a750. You can see a prismatic effect when you shine a flashlight on it. Also the c750, at least mine, has beautiful uniformity. I can't really discern anything noticeable even in a pitch black room with the backlight at 20 and 0, 10 ire images on screen which should say something because the backlight on this thing is really bright. It really gives the colors the usual samsung "pop". Its a good set you should really go see it in person. I wasn't able to but was really surprised and happy.

OH and no i live with my brother and his wife and they didn't say a peep about the viewing angles.
post #279 of 482 Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 PM

So I'm kinda new to hdtv's and I was looking into the c750. I'm wondering With the whole Gamemode thing. If I have my xbox and ps3 on hdmi 1 and 2 and have game mode on for both on them, Would I have to remember to turn gamemode off when every I wanted to watch tv on hdmi 3 ? And with the display settings is it possible to have different setting for each hdmi input ?
post #280 of 482 Old 09-10-2010, 05:04 AM

You dont have to turn game mode off for other HDMI input, all HDMI input settings are seperate. Changing HDMI 2 settings for instance will not effect others.
post #281 of 482 Old 09-10-2010, 05:10 AM

Is there anyone playing FIFA 2010 on ps3 with this TV? When i turn the game mode on and play, picture starts shaking ( i dont know if this is called Juddering) on fast motions. And if i change the motion settings and change custom ( Blur:10, Judder:0) then instead of that vibrating scenes i get blurry picture. Is there a way to play on game mode without these effects?
post #282 of 482 Old 09-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Beyazit do you play any first person shooters on the set and if so how is the lagg ?
post #283 of 482 Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 AM

Only games i play is Fifa, UFC and some off road game ( Motorstorm or sth) right now, no problem without game mode on these games but heard people complaining with FPS games. My problem is even if i dont need to play with game mode on, still when i put it on motion is not as smooth as game mode off.
post #284 of 482 Old 09-11-2010, 12:33 PM

considering this getting this one after see it in Futureshop (Canada).

My question is for those who have done the research, how does this compare with the C650? I was pretty much all ready to purchase the C650 today until I saw the C750 at a different store (it's hard to compare because no single store has both models on display).

Im looking at the 46" model, and dont care about the 3D. The stats look similar between the two sets, -but the C650 model was at costco and didnt look too great. The C750 must have been setup right at the other store, because it looked significantly better than the C650 (from what I remembered).
post #285 of 482 Old 09-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Well I ordered my tv.. It will be here Friday, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to play some halo reach with minimal input lag.
post #286 of 482 Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm probably going to order the LN55C750 tomorrow from BestBuy. The Crabtree store in Raleigh, NC has one on display in case anyone is interested in checking one out in person. I'm just a little concerned about off-angle issues as some have mentioned it in this forum. I could discern no such issues at the store, even after a hour or so of tweaking the settings to something reasonable, but you never know how a set will perform until you get it home.

Ted
post #287 of 482 Old 09-16-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

I'm probably going to order the LN55C750 tomorrow from BestBuy. The Crabtree store in Raleigh, NC has one on display in case anyone is interested in checking one out in person. I'm just a little concerned about off-angle issues as some have mentioned it in this forum. I could discern no such issues at the store, even after a hour or so of tweaking the settings to something reasonable, but you never know how a set will perform until you get it home.

Ted

Crap. I was in Raleigh last weekend and thought about stopping by there. My 2 local BB on the coast don't have squat for selection.
post #288 of 482 Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ted

TV ordered. They were also running a deal on installation, mounts, and I got $200 off a Tivo Premier XL. Can't wait for the 29th when it gets installed.

-Ted
post #289 of 482 Old 09-16-2010, 02:47 PM

=))))))) Got it today. Finally!!! after almost one month waiting! i bought it the 21 of August
Paid approx. $2750...... Im from Mexico, here everything is overpriced! lucky you US and Canada people!

post #290 of 482 Old 09-16-2010, 02:52 PM

dbgt - nice. Please set it up and give us your impression (with pictures of course!!). I've been having a hard time finding one in the stores.

Samsung 46A750, Panasonic BD35, Dish 722
post #291 of 482 Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjfoien View Post

dbgt - nice. Please set it up and give us your impression (with pictures of course!!). I've been having a hard time finding one in the stores.

The only places in the US where you will find a 55" in the stores is apparently the occasional Best Buy with a Magnolia Home Theater department. Only 1 out of 7 local BB stores had it where I live.

Ted
post #292 of 482 Old 09-17-2010, 01:31 AM

Hey gang. Just purchased the ln46c750. I was in the market for the 650, but a deal popped up that I couldn't pass by. I figured it was pretty much the same set with the same panel... So, for the deal I got, it just made sense to get the added 3D.

Then I looked at consumer reports and they rated the 750 WAAAAY lower than the 650 in picture quality. All the really detailed reviewers (http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...0100709761.htm) put them on par with each other though. Do I have anything to worry about? Are the 750 and 650 pretty comparable picture wise?

I'm not too worried. Since I got such a great deal I could sell the set for more than I payed for it, but I just wanna know if I should even open the box or start looking out for a good deal on a 650? Thoughts!?!?
post #293 of 482 Old 09-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcredheart View Post

Hey gang. Just purchased the ln46c750. I was in the market for the 650, but a deal popped up that I couldn't pass by. I figured it was pretty much the same set with the same panel... So, for the deal I got, it just made sense to get the added 3D.

Then I looked at consumer reports and they rated the 750 WAAAAY lower than the 650 in picture quality. All the really detailed reviewers (http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...0100709761.htm) put them on par with each other though. Do I have anything to worry about? Are the 750 and 650 pretty comparable picture wise?

I'm not too worried. Since I got such a great deal I could sell the set for more than I payed for it, but I just wanna know if I should even open the box or start looking out for a good deal on a 650? Thoughts!?!?

Did CR say specifically why? Could it be 3D PQ that is dragging down the 750?
post #294 of 482 Old 09-17-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Did CR say specifically why? Could it be 3D PQ that is dragging down the 750?

It gives the 750 open white circles (signifying mediocrity) under the categories "HD picture" and "SD picture". It gives the 650 circles filled in with red (signifying excellence) in the same categories. Then it gives a vague explanation. It looks like in their reviews that they cut and paste from the same 20 sentences and change adjectives slightly. I'm wondering if they got a bad set, or didn't calibrate properly? But CS is supposed to be divine in their stature of reviewing things like this, right? I don't know....

650 - "Highs: Excellent high-definition and standard-definition picture quality. It did an excellent job displaying the finest detail in high-definition content. Color accuracy was excellent. Contrast was good, typical for most models we've tested. Brightness level was good, suitable for most rooms. For standard-definition, very good black levels - deep, just shy of the best sets. Excellent, smooth reproduction of scenes with subtly shaded light-to-dark areas, such as a sky during sunset. Movies which were originally shot on film and converted to video appeared free of any jagged edges - "jaggies" - in scenes with motion, due to the effective film-mode operation (3:2 pulldown). High-definition and standard-definition video clips with motion detail appeared free of any visible "jaggies" due to the effective de-interlacing operations. Has Samsung's Auto Motion Plus 120Hz technology that doubles the TV's frame rate - we found it minimized motion blur to the point that it was barely noticeable, even in our more demanding tests. Very good sound, better than most models we've tested. The remote control is excellent."

750 - "Highs - It did an excellent job displaying the finest detail in high-definition content. Contrast was good, typical for most models we've tested. Brightness level was very good, suitable for almost any room, even a sunny one. Excellent, smooth reproduction of scenes with subtly shaded light-to-dark areas, such as a sky during sunset. Movies which were originally shot on film and converted to video appeared free of any jagged edges - "jaggies" - in scenes with motion, due to the effective film-mode operation (3:2 pulldown). Video clips with motion detail appeared free of any visible "jaggies" due to the effective de-interlacing operation. Has Samsung's Auto Motion Plus 240Hz technology that quadruples the TV's frame rate to 240 hertz - we found it minimized motion blur to the point that it was barely noticeable, even in our more demanding tests. Sound was good, fine for typical TV programming, but won't reproduce the full range of movie soundtracks and music. The remote control is excellent - all of its buttons are backlit so they're easy to see in the dark.

Lows - Picture quality, though good, was below that of most other sets. Color accuracy was OK but below that of most sets; color was improved but not optimized after we fine-tuned the individual red/green/blue color controls in the advanced menu, a more complex process. 3D performance yielded good image depth, but strong levels of ghosting (left eye/right eye crosstalk) was consistently distracting on a wide variety of movie and video 3D content, detracting from the 3D experience. Has a limited viewing angle - though picture quality looked fine head-on, we saw some deterioration in color, contrast, or brightness".
post #295 of 482 Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

I'd say that is typical of a CR review. The reality of the situation is that the 750 series has a better viewing angle than most LED sets, but not as good as a plasma. It should be virtually identical to the 650 though.

Color Accuracy is always a point of dispute when it comes to LCDs. Some reviewers prefer the rather flat color reproduction that Sony delivers, and others prefer some pop. I fall into the latter category, so I tend to like Samsungs. Not that I dislike Sony, but I haven't bought one since my 36XBR800. Again, from what I have witnessed personally, there should be little to no difference between the 650 and 750 in this respect.

I expect the 3D performance is what really hurt the 750 in CR's ratings.

Ted
post #296 of 482 Old 09-17-2010, 12:34 PM

Recieved my LN55C750 today. It replaces an LN52A860 that I had for a year and a half which had a vertical line show up directly in the middle literally a week after the extended 1 and 1/2 year warranty. Luckily Samsung gives you three extra months of warranty if you register online so for $300 bucks I got to upgrade to this unit.

First Impressions:
The picture is great out of the box and setting up the internet widgets and Samsung Apps was a breeze. I loved my LN52A860 and people always remarked how amazing the picture was on it. I still have to play with the settings yet on this unit to make it comparable although I am impressed with the default standard settings. Not bad and no firmware updates were available. Everything is very easy to access though. Doing 2D to 3D takes 2 clicks. I found game mode deep into the menu and I'll try that out tonight with HALO Reach. It was delivered today so I have only spent 20-30 minutes with it.
Some things I don't like are that its about double the thickness of my LN52A860 and that I'm going to have to do a system upgrade now that I was brought into this world of 3D. (looking at a new Yamaha 3D capable RX-A2000 and a playstation 3 when the 3D firmware comes out) I think the design of the unit is okay but it also could have been a bit nicer. 55 inches does not fit into my wall unit with the stand so I'll have to mount it to the back. Advice on a good wall mount would be helpful!
Overall I think this is a great unit and I will update more after I finish work and put the kids asleep tonight and really get to play. From what I have been researching and hearing its probably the best deal for entry into 3D at this frame size.
I apologize for the bad pictures... I was in a rush and my son was watching Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs....
LL
LL
post #297 of 482 Old 09-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
jstyle, are you in Canada? I still haven't found the 55" here in the states other than Best Buy online, which is too expensive.
post #298 of 482 Old 09-17-2010, 11:04 PM

Yes. Here in Miami, FL which is kinda like the USA...lol. You'll probably only find them in the stores with a Magnolia section. Out of 5 stores in Miami only 1 had it on display and it was in the Magnolia section. I got mine on a warranty exchange with Samsung directly for my LN52A860 that got a vertical line. Register your products on Samsung.com and you get 3 months of warranty coverage extra!
The LN55C750 is definitely growing on me and I'm more satisfied with the look of the LCD in dim light. The clear edges look like a silver/grey lining around the set and it looks sharp. Watched Prince of Persia tonight on BluRay and it looked spectacular. Played Halo Reach for about 3 hours as well on Game Mode and it responded well (albeit I'm not going to be sponsored by Bungie). The cut scenes seemed to have a bit of motion blur but I can't blame the TV for that when we all know the XBOX, from a hardware perspective, is craptastic. Tomorrow I will pick up a pair of 3D glasses and log some time on Modern Warfare 2 and more HALO Reach and try the games, TV (College Football) and Blurays in 3D with the 2D to 3D option that seems pretty cool. I'm also going to mount the LCD in my wall unit so I'll add an update on how that went. BTW the display unit they had at BB here was selling for $ 2100 or $2200 I think.
post #299 of 482 Old 09-18-2010, 02:11 AM

I've had the 46c750 for about two weeks. exchanged with another 46c750 due to issue with swiveling base. Interesting to note that both sets were on firmware 1021, sq01 (if that actually means anything). Panel is consistent across two panels. What i mean that they both exhibit the crosshatch pattern with a 10% or about gray field and both had/have slight flashlights in lower corners. You can sometimes see the "bands" with some content like the background of the disney castle at the beginning of wall-e. Both have great blacks in the sweet spot.

Might try lessening flashlights a little more by loosening the screws as mentioned in the c650/c670 thread. Not really bad but if it works why not.

Like I said before I can only guess the ultra clear coating might have something to do with the crosshatch pattern as it is definitely not the same coating as on my 40a750.

Really great tv as long as these things don't bother you.

Also as a note to anyone interested sets came from amazon orders placed aug 30 and sept 12 so might have come from same lot.
post #300 of 482 Old 09-18-2010, 06:59 AM

The software version on my set is T-VALAUSC-1027.0.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page