Official Samsung LNXXC750 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 482 Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGuyInTheChair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeenatron View Post

I'd never play a game that was competitive or online outside of game mode with an LCD. I highly doubt you're going to see 1/2 (500 ms) lag in regular mode because that's just a long damn time, but you're probably seeing over 100 ms with your TV for sure. Slap that thing in game mode and take the time to fine tune your settings (it's taking me a LONG time to fine tune my settings with my C630) and you shouldn't have any lag issues and still have a fantastic picture for gaming. I just can't endorse any of the 2009-2010 plasma TVs right now with all the floating blacks, buzzing, banding, and increasing black levels going around in the models worth looking at.

ya my math was wrong
I left out a decimal place



it's 40ms not 400

but in Gears it certainly seems like it's about 1/3 of a second
TheGuyInTheChair is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 482 Old 05-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Member
 
holyhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any idea when the 55C750 will be in the market (usa).

If its going to be too late then i may have to go with C630 (I dont want C650 as the only extras are APPS and little more contrast ratio).
holyhd is offline  
post #93 of 482 Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGuyInTheChair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhd View Post

Any idea when the 55C750 will be in the market (usa).

If its going to be too late then i may have to go with C630 (I dont want C650 as the only extras are APPS and little more contrast ratio).

I'd assume late this month. i'm pretty sure that's when I read the c750's drop officially......... dunno why Canada got them early... that never happens to us
TheGuyInTheChair is offline  
post #94 of 482 Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think the G10 is a great tv to game on but not for me. Samsung and LG plasmas are known for their IR problems and the Panasonic is just as bad contrary to what people will tell you. After all of the voltage increases, my G10 is an IR magnet. The digital speedometer in GT5P leaves deep IR on the screen after only 45 minutes of play. Sure its not going to burn in. But thats only as long as I take the precaution of changing to something else. Simply put, Im tired of IR problems deciding what and how long I play. If you're a big gamer like me and you game more than you watch movies or cable, plasma is a pain in the ass despite its superior motion clarity, viewing angles, input lag, screen uniformity, etc.
Tony6225 is offline  
post #95 of 482 Old 05-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGuyInTheChair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yes there's A LOT of IR on my panasonic after the increase too

I don't know if it's necessarily that there was more or that it was more noticeable becaues of the brighter MLL
TheGuyInTheChair is offline  
post #96 of 482 Old 05-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Member
 
TheOnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read the C750 will be out in May. Given it is May 3rd they should be in stores soon. Best Buy carried the b750 so that would be a good place to look or ask for more info.
TheOnion is offline  
post #97 of 482 Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
mcantu1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
the 46" C750 has been available on Amazon for at least a week...
mcantu1 is offline  
post #98 of 482 Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Member
 
holyhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnion View Post

I have read the C750 will be out in May. Given it is May 3rd they should be in stores soon. Best Buy carried the b750 so that would be a good place to look or ask for more info.

My BB local store in NJ dont have any clue if they would carry 55C750. They dont even have 46" yet. Not sure if they would start brining in.
holyhd is offline  
post #99 of 482 Old 05-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Bambooben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm also waiting on the 55", but am worried there isn't one. I have seen some articles that say there isn't a 55" c750.
Check out Cnet:
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6482_7-...s=0&o=10002730
"Screen sizes: 46 inches (only) "


But if you look at the chart on Amazon:

Bambooben is offline  
post #100 of 482 Old 05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
ellpolo_loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My BB in the San Francisco has no clue if they are even gonna carry the 750. I highly doubt that they wont but I am really curious what the $ will be at BB. If not I will most likely get the new Sharp. There has been two really good write ups on it already.
ellpolo_loco is offline  
post #101 of 482 Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGuyInTheChair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooben View Post

I'm also waiting on the 55", but am worried there isn't one. I have seen some articles that say there isn't a 55" c750.
Check out Cnet:
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6482_7-...s=0&o=10002730
"Screen sizes: 46 inches (only) "


But if you look at the chart on Amazon:


lol
look at the VERY FIRST POST

there's a big ol picture of a 55c750
TheGuyInTheChair is offline  
post #102 of 482 Old 05-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Bambooben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

lol
look at the VERY FIRST POST

there's a big ol picture of a 55c750

Oh crap, didn't even notice that was the 55"
Bambooben is offline  
post #103 of 482 Old 05-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Member
 
JerryMX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

if ther's a problem I'm not seeing it
I was watching a movie in 1080p 24 and switched it to 1080p60(to see if that would allow me to adjust the black level to low since I couldn't in 1080p24) and didn't see any difference

the only time there's a difference is when you enable 3d. Getting a bit of crosstalk but I haven't atually watched REAL 3d content on it yet so I wasn't expecting it to be perfect

Thanks, I see on the c7000, c8000 thread this post from deArgila maybe this help with 3D:

There was a post in the 3D Displays forum about a setting that supposedly eliminates the cross talk (he has the c7000) - anyone else tried this yet!?

He says:

"1. Update the TV's firmware.
2. When update is done, go into the picture menu, then the 3D menu, and turn auto 3D off.
3. In the same menu, adjust the 3D viewpoint from 0 to +5.
4. Start MvA.
5. Enjoy your movie"
JerryMX is offline  
post #104 of 482 Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Member
 
JerryMX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

I'd assume late this month. i'm pretty sure that's when I read the c750's drop officially......... dunno why Canada got them early... that never happens to us

In Mexico have the 55'' too, , its true, this never happend and USA have the b8500 and in Mexico not
JerryMX is offline  
post #105 of 482 Old 05-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGuyInTheChair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMX View Post

Thanks, I see on the c7000, c8000 thread this post from deArgila maybe this help with 3D:

There was a post in the 3D Displays forum about a setting that supposedly eliminates the cross talk (he has the c7000) - anyone else tried this yet!?

He says:

"1. Update the TV's firmware.
2. When update is done, go into the picture menu, then the 3D menu, and turn auto 3D off.
3. In the same menu, adjust the 3D viewpoint from 0 to +5.
4. Start MvA.
5. Enjoy your movie"

thanks for the tip

but there is no update for the c750(yet at least)
and there's no 3d viewpoint either(unless that's depth?)
TheGuyInTheChair is offline  
post #106 of 482 Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Newbie
 
masterfurny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i purchased the LN46C750 with the BD-C6900 Blu-ray player and the 3D starter kit. it's my first HDTV, i'm moving up from a reaaally old 20" tube, so i'm just a bit excited about it. doesn't ship until May 5 though. i need more pics to fill in the time till it gets here!
masterfurny is offline  
post #107 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Jonathan Teller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

I think the G10 is a great tv to game on but not for me. Samsung and LG plasmas are known for their IR problems and the Panasonic is just as bad contrary to what people will tell you. After all of the voltage increases, my G10 is an IR magnet. The digital speedometer in GT5P leaves deep IR on the screen after only 45 minutes of play. Sure its not going to burn in. But thats only as long as I take the precaution of changing to something else. Simply put, Im tired of IR problems deciding what and how long I play. If you're a big gamer like me and you game more than you watch movies or cable, plasma is a pain in the ass despite its superior motion clarity, viewing angles, input lag, screen uniformity, etc.

Boy, you said it, bro!

I play videogames for hours on end as well. My first major problem was on my Sanyo PLV-Z2 LCD front projector, which developed some pretty bad uneven pixel aging and basically looked burned-in. Even though it was an LCD, the "ghost" images of HUDs and black bars (lots of games were still 4:3 back then) were definitely visible. The Sanyo Z2 used the old organic LCD panels though and things supposedly improved once everything went to the inorganic LCD panel tech.

After the PLV-Z2, I used a Samsung plasma. It's black levels were never very deep and it produced an obvious buzzing noise that went up and down in pitch and loudness depending on the brightness of the image on screen. It too showed obvious uneven pixel aging and basically looked burned-in from HUDs. It also got worse and worse in terms of image retention and pixel lag. If the scene changed from a bright image to a dark image, the bright image would linger on screen for a moment and that got REALLY annoying.

I only had the Samsung for a little over a year before I replaced it with an LG plasma. I just couldn't tolerate any of the LCD displays that were available, but I didn't have the cash for a top-o-the-line TV either. So I gave plasma another shot, wasn't willing to give a Samsung plasma another go and thus, ended up with an LG. That thing had even worse black levels than the Samsung. It didn't buzz nearly as loud (still buzzed a little, but very quiet). It also never developed the same brutal pixel lag as the Samsung. But it did get the same uneven pixel aging and looked burned-in...yet again!

After all of those experiences, I saved up and went whole hog on a Pioneer Kuro. This is my current display and it is absolutely gorgeous in every picture-quality sense. The blacks - while still not totally black - are deeper than any other display I have ever seen (including a commercial movie theatre). The contrast is fantastic. And it has absolutely perfect (at least to my eyes) pixel response and zero trace of any motion blur or lingering images.

But it is still not perfect. It has the most obvious and noticeable buzzing of any of the displays I've owned. It isn't actually a louder buzz, it's just that the buzz comes out the front of the display! With the Samsung and LG plasmas, they had a second layer of glass over the plasma panel and this prevented the buzz from coming out the front. The Pioneer has no second layer of glass, so the buzz comes right out the front. And given that I'm only 7.5 feet infront of a 60" plasma, that front-facing buzz gets downright annoying!

On top of that, it too is showing uneven pixel aging and is almost looking burned-in. I'm not willing to destroy this Kuro with burn-in from gaming, so now I'm looking to get an LCD.

All of this has led me here because I'd like to get a 3D LCD display if possible and particularly one that can do 2d -> 3D conversion. I'm sick of dealing with burn-in on plasmas. And other than the Kuro, none of them really look much better than an LCD display anyway! The Panasonics do at first, but then their black levels rise! On top of that, this year, Panasonic's plasmas have no second layer of glass, so I'm fully expecting that they will buzz just as annoyingly as my Kuro!

So I want an LCD for gaming, but they all still seem to suck. Samsung, Sony and LG all now make nothing buy super glossy screens, which make them all unwatchable to my eyes. All of them seem to have problems with off-angle viewing. None of them can get anywhere close to my Kuro's black levels without other problems cropping up like halos, clouding, blue or red-tinged blacks or just a crushing of shadow detail.

Sadly, this LN55C750 doesn't seem like it will be up to my standards either.

So I'm basically looking forward to the Vizio XVT PRO line and holding out hope that they might bring the goods. I don't think they do 2d -> 3D conversion though, but I guess I'll just have to give that up
Jonathan Teller is offline  
post #108 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Senior Member
 
TheGuyInTheChair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone that gets this tv......... when you're using 3d turn on game mode

I was watching MvA and enabling game mode got rid of much of the crosstalk

unfortunately it still left me with motion sickness so this tvs going back and getting replaced by a 50pk550 or maybe I'll stick with samsung and get a 50b650
TheGuyInTheChair is offline  
post #109 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rahzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Pk550 > b650, imho.
rahzel is offline  
post #110 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So you're going to return a tv that is 3D capable, and get one with equal or lower PQ just because it has no 3D? Sounds like a hassle to me. If you already own a G10, getting a B650 or a PK550 is a huge waste of money. I'm having a hard time understanding your reasoning. But to each his own.
Tony6225 is offline  
post #111 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rahzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
The PK550 is better than the G10 in most areas. Chad B even rates it higher than the Panasonic G25. The B650 would be a waste of money.
rahzel is offline  
post #112 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

The PK550 is better than the G10 in most areas. Chad B even rates it higher than the Panasonic G25. The B650 would be a waste of money.

What are most areas? Maby a slight edge in color if he decided to calibrate and barely deeper blacks considering that his G10 had a rise in black level. He also stated that he has a Kuro over in the PNxxC7000/8000 thread. If you already have a Kuro, and you are disappointed in a C750 lcd, I dont see how he will be content with a mediocre plasma because it will more than likely be just about the same as the C750.
Tony6225 is offline  
post #113 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
TheGuyInTheChair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

So you're going to return a tv that is 3D capable, and get one with equal or lower PQ just because it has no 3D? Sounds like a hassle to me. If you already own a G10, getting a B650 or a PK550 is a huge waste of money. I'm having a hard time understanding your reasoning. But to each his own.

I doubt the pk550/b650 has worse PQ than this tv. the c750 looks really good for an LCD but not as good as a plasma imo. my old samsung a450 looks better. I don't have a g10 anymore. I sold it because I couldn't stand watching stuff on it anymore. it's black levels were worse than my $190 LC dmonitor. Also the pk550 is 1/2 the price of this tv which is mainly why I'm looking at it. there's a lot I can do with the $1000 I'd save



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

What are most areas? Maby a slight edge in color if he decided to calibrate and barely deeper blacks considering that his G10 had a rise in black level. He also stated that he has a Kuro over in the PNxxC7000/8000 thread. If you already have a Kuro, and you are disappointed in a C750 lcd, I dont see how he will be content with a mediocre plasma because it will more than likely be just about the same as the C750.

I have a 5080........ but it's got a few dead and stuck pixels or I would use it as my primary tv.
TheGuyInTheChair is offline  
post #114 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rahzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

What are most areas? Maby a slight edge in color if he decided to calibrate and barely deeper blacks considering that his G10 had a rise in black level. He also stated that he has a Kuro over in the PNxxC7000/8000 thread. If you already have a Kuro, and you are disappointed in a C750 lcd, I dont see how he will be content with a mediocre plasma because it will more than likely be just about the same as the C750.

Better blacks, better color, better gamma, better motion handling. The G10 only has good color and gamma in THX mode, but it's too dim for most people.

I wouldn't call the PK550 "mediocre". Chad B rates it one of the highest TV's he's ever reviewed.
rahzel is offline  
post #115 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

if ther's a problem I'm not seeing it
I was watching a movie in 1080p 24 and switched it to 1080p60(to see if that would allow me to adjust the black level to low since I couldn't in 1080p24) and didn't see any difference

the only time there's a difference is when you enable 3d. Getting a bit of crosstalk but I haven't atually watched REAL 3d content on it yet so I wasn't expecting it to be perfect

maybe it is just the ridiculous fake 3D that is making you sick, if hollywood takes at least two months to do just a so-so, at best job, and closer to a year to do an decent, if not as good as real 3D job, using tons of computing power and human intervention, don't you think the set will be doing all sorts of strange things at times, having to do it in realtime, with no human intervention on limited computing power?

i mean who knows maybe real 3D would make you even sicker but you never know

i'd at least try to peak at a little real footage
skibum5000 is offline  
post #116 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Better blacks, better color, better gamma, better motion handling. The G10 only has good color and gamma in THX mode, but it's too dim for most people.

I wouldn't call the PK550 "mediocre". Chad B rates it one of the highest TV's he's ever reviewed.

I dont know how much better the motion handling could get considering that the G10 has 1080p motion resolution. Where did you read that? And just because the blacks are barely darker on the PK550 doesnt mean they are good. They are more average than anything. FlatpanelsHD measured the the LG PK950, the Sharp820, the Sony NX700, and the Panny G20 at .04cd/m2.

All I'm really saying is, if he isnt happy with a G10 or a C750, an LG or Sammy plasma are going to be no different.
Tony6225 is offline  
post #117 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
TheGuyInTheChair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post


i mean who knows maybe real 3D would make you even sicker but you never know


MvA actually did make it worse
I think it's because the 3d effect is so much more pronounced(and you can't adjust it to make it lesser)

I think I'm gonna wait for a reasonably priced no glasses 3d solution.....or at least a solution that uses polarized glasses instead of active shutter glasses
TheGuyInTheChair is offline  
post #118 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Member
 
JerryMX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

MvA actually did make it worse
I think it's because the 3d effect is so much more pronounced(and you can't adjust it to make it lesser)

I think I'm gonna wait for a reasonably priced no glasses 3d solution.....or at least a solution that uses polarized glasses instead of active shutter glasses

I think samsung make a lot of firmware updates. Maybe you need to wait.
JerryMX is offline  
post #119 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rahzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

I dont know how much better the motion handling could get considering that the G10 has 1080p motion resolution. Where did you read that? And just because the blacks are barely darker on the PK550 doesnt mean they are good. They are more average than anything. FlatpanelsHD measured the the LG PK950, the Sharp820, the Sony NX700, and the Panny G20 at .04cd/m2.

All I'm really saying is, if he isnt happy with a G10 or a C750, an LG or Sammy plasma are going to be no different.

I'm not talking about motion resolution, I'm talking about how smooth it can handle 24p sources (which is the most problematic source for any TV due to it's low frame rate). The G10 doesn't have 'proper' 24p handling. It uses a low refresh rate (48Hz) so it causes flickering. The PK550 has 72Hz refresh rate. Chad B says the motion on the PK550 is comparable to the V10 (which has a 96Hz refresh rate) which he holds in high regard for motion handling.

I didn't say the blacks were great, I just said they're equal if not better than the G10 (which still has decent blacks even after the black level rise). Furthermore, you can't simply compare black level performance based on MLL. Even CCFL and edge-lit LED displays have fairly low MLL ratings these days, because they have an ABL (auto brightness limiter) similar to plasmas. The problem with CCFL and edgelit displays compared to plasmas and full matrix LED backlit displays, is the entire backlight has to dim to achieve those deep blacks, so contrast suffers.

And all I'm saying is that the PK550 is a decent upgrade over the G10 (which is a good TV in it's own right).

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread anymore. And I'm not saying this is a bad set... just offering alternatives for someone who is possibly thinking of exchanging it.

@TheGuyInTheChair, may I ask why you're looking for a new TV in the first place? Just feel like buying a new TV, or are you unhappy with your G10? Personally, I would hang onto your G10 for at least another year.
rahzel is offline  
post #120 of 482 Old 05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGuyInTheChair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

I'm not talking about motion resolution, I'm talking about how smooth it can handle 24p sources (which is the most problematic source for any TV due to it's low frame rate). The G10 doesn't have 'proper' 24p handling. It uses a low refresh rate (48Hz) so it causes flickering. The PK550 has 72Hz refresh rate. Chad B says the motion on the PK550 is comparable to the V10 (which has a 96Hz refresh rate) which he holds in high regard for motion handling.

I didn't say the blacks were great, I just said they're equal if not better than the G10 (which still has decent blacks even after the black level rise). Furthermore, you can't simply compare black level performance based on MLL. Even CCFL and edge-lit LED displays have fairly low MLL ratings these days, because they have an ABL (auto brightness limiter) similar to plasmas. The problem with CCFL and edgelit displays compared to plasmas and full matrix LED backlit displays, is the entire backlight has to dim to achieve those deep blacks, so contrast suffers.

And all I'm saying is that the PK550 is a decent upgrade over the G10 (which is a good TV in it's own right).

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread anymore. And I'm not saying this is a bad set... just offering alternatives for someone who is possibly thinking of exchanging it.

@TheGuyInTheChair, may I ask why you're looking for a new TV in the first place? Just feel like buying a new TV, or are you unhappy with your G10? Personally, I would hang onto your G10 for at least another year.

I sold my G10 because it was literally unwatchable at night if it was showing dark scenes. The blacks were a fairly mediocre shade of gray
TheGuyInTheChair is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off