Official Sharp Aquos/Quattron LC-XXLE810UN/LC-XXLE820UN Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2818 Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw by the views on the compare thread there was interest on these TVs, so I decided to create an Official Owners thread for the Sharp Aquos/Quattron LC-XXLE810UN/LC-XXLE820UN

These models are pretty similar so I decided to just include them in the same thread. Im also copying over my review of the 42LE810UN, leaving out the comparison to the Sony and the story behind the purchase, I will leave the full review intact in the comparison thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1245105), but for this thread, Im only leaving in the parts that concern the LE810UN

Would love to get other owners in here and share calibration details, causes for concern, firmware updates, service menu codes and adjustments, as well as other items pertaining to the overall functionality and potential of these models.

Packaging and Assembly:

First thing I noticed was the manual, THIS IS A MANUAL…..its an actual book, not just 5 pages stapled together and folded in half. This Sharp has got a full tinted glass stand thats got some weight to it with a swivel metal base on the glass (not the T connector). The 810 does not have a detachable power cord. An A/V cord organizer clip is also included with the 810. The plastic pieces that cover up the T connector on the 810 screws on and is one piece. Remote, batteries, literature, screws all included on both sets

Aesthetics:

Honestly, I wasn't high on the look of the Sharp at first. But its starting to grow on me. The Sharp bezel looks like some money/craftsmanship went into it. The 810 has a black bezel in front with a silver trim around it, looks decent and gives a good offset to each other but I wonder how an all black bezel would have been.

The 810 on the other hand has a semi gloss screen and to my surprise, this doesn't reflect light too bad (this is NOT a full gloss like you would see on some laptop screens and it is not the 820 with a glass front, both would reflect light alot more)

The buttons on the 810 are on the lower front of the bezel, almost like how Samsung does it. They seem to be touch sensitive, but they also seem to work better than the Samsung touch buttons, which I wasn't a fan of.

Connections:

The 810 has the 4 HDMIs, 15 pin RGB, 2 USBs, 9 pin serial (for what I don't know), 1 dedicated component, coax, optical, and ethernet. They also include 1 MINI composite. This really pissed me off, especially since they don't include the MINI composite cable or let you know ahead of time its MINI, they just state its composite.

As for the location of these inputs, I like the 810s locations. The 810 are all on the back but come out from the side of the back on the spline, almost like an backward L shaped design how the inputs are laid out.

Remote:

The Sharp remote is a universal remote. On the Sharp remote, the circle selector with arrows to move back and forth on the menu seems too small and Im always finding that instead of pressing the up arrow instead Im pressing the menu button and getting out of the menu. Key placement seems odd and buttons you think you would be pressing a lot are not in convenient locations.

Sharp does not have a button to quickly get into the picture adjustments/motion enhancement features, you have to go thru the menu and jump thru a lot of hoops to change the settings.

The remote is not backlit but does have lights on the 4 buttons to know what device is selected.

The remote is difficult to learn, even though I know where all the buttons are I still feel myself scanning the remote to make sure I press the correct button

Menu/OSD/Features:

In Sharp menu, the items are organized, it seems a bit tedious to navigate.
Options I just quickly noticed that are missing from the Sharp menu are items like 4x3 auto wide feature and display area overscan. While Sharp does address this in the wide mode selections, Sharp combines the two which in return gives less overscan/zoom options.

Where Sharp seems to excel is in the picture calibration options. Sharp throws the sink at us with how many options they put in the menu. There are so many picture adjustment options, I don't even know what to start, which means that this set should easily (with the proper tools and the proper knowledge) be able to be calibrated to perfection. Sharp also tends to give 4-5 options on motion enhancement features, so again this set should be a calibrators dream

Sharp has Netflix and Aquos live support

The 810 can play music and pictures from USB media, the Sharp states there is no video support

Picture/Panel:

Out of the box the 810 picture was alittle too strong with colors and seemed too hot. This set definitely needs to be adjusted before watching. You WILL notice this set is not going to look like any other LCD you have had before, the yellows and golds pop. If it seems unnatural, then it definitely can be adjusted. Black levels are actually great in my quick testing. Calibration on this set is a must in my opinion, I mean even the average user should at least use an AVIA or DVE disc

The motion enhancement features on this set, I didn't notice much judder except on one channel but I think that it was the content that was on, I tried instead a dedicated movie channel and some sports and the multiple options and selections given for these features makes finding a sweet spot very possible

As of right now, I have yet to see any problems that cant be corrected thru picture adjustments. If I had to list one, it would get the yellow/gold colors that seem to pop because the introduction of the yellow subpixel, but this can be corrected in the menu for sure, there are settings for it. But as for the viewing angles, its a vast improvement, no hazing, no fog, it actually looks real good from different angles from my surprise as I was not expecting this. As for the uniformity, I loaded up the same JPEG pictures of solid colors and there is no noticeable flashlighting or edge bleeding. There is also no swirl patterns or dark blotches in the panel, even the corners, which cause some people concern showed the same color/brightness/white level as the rest of the panel. I was actually amazed at the performance and quality of the set, especially considering how much I read about Edge LED and uniformity problems.

Sound:

Sharp has taken the cake here. I was seriously impressed with their sound quality on this TV, especially how thin this TV really is. Im guessing that the inclusion of the 15w subwoofer on the set really helped.

On this Sharp, man at 12 this thing is adequate, at 20 this thing is loud, there is no doubt in my mind this Sharp got the sound right on this set

Conclusions:

The panel is terrific, definitely the high point of this TV. I have only owned the TV for a day but I tried to get around 10 hours in on it watching some dedicated HD movie channels, unconverted 1080P DVDs and some other things as well, so I reserve the right to change my opinion as I become more familiar with the TV, which Im sure I will. As of right now, I haven't noticed any panel problems with the 810, other than ones that can be adjusted thru the menu. More high points are the menu settings, lots of them and multiple stepping and the sound….which I found more than adequate, low points would be the remote is average at best and the menu design could have been better.
This is only my opinion, so far I am happy, Im sure I might find more gripes, but one thing I know for sure, the actual panel on this TV is rock solid in my honest opinion

Hope you enjoyed this basic review and I hope I didnt upset any of you, I tried not to be biased.

Pictures
Manual
http://i41.tinypic.com/b5o328.jpg

Icon/Bezel/Stand close up
http://i43.tinypic.com/33af9mq.jpg

Bezel/Stand full
http://i43.tinypic.com/717e6q.jpg

Connections
http://i39.tinypic.com/a1mtn7.jpg

Remote
http://i41.tinypic.com/2crakw1.jpg

TV On/Light Reflectivity on white
http://i44.tinypic.com/2vkyrtw.jpg

TV On/Light Reflectivity on black
http://i40.tinypic.com/25qqk9h.jpg

TV On/Light Reflectivity on color
http://i42.tinypic.com/nxsu9z.jpg

TV On/Menu/Picture Settings
http://i42.tinypic.com/313p3df.jpg

TV On/Menu/Audio Settings
http://i39.tinypic.com/23hu07q.jpg

Front Bezel/Buttons
http://i39.tinypic.com/vqm7w2.jpg

Front Bezel/Swivel Stand
http://i42.tinypic.com/17r14z.jpg

Box
http://i40.tinypic.com/9lgaw1.jpg

Movieguy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2818 Old 04-29-2010, 08:10 AM

OK. Good start. Will see how the adoption of these sets turns out.
I bought my first Sharp LCD 5 years ago and it was top in PQ at that time. Then they lost their grip.
I think to gain their share back they should price them a little lower or people will still be buying Sammys over them.
post #3 of 2818 Old 04-29-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yea Im sure this thread will pick up but since these models just released, and Im one of maybe 3 people on the boards with this model, not many owners as of yet......but Id say in maybe a month or so, this will be one active thread and hopefully well get some people who get ISF calibration and service menu settings/codes to enable certain features

Movieguy
post #4 of 2818 Old 04-29-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quick tip, next time shoot your pictures at a slight angle so the flash doesn't bounce back at you. Otherwise, good information. Looks like you did a lot of work and I'm sure as this thread progresses, owners of this model will appreciate your efforts at getting this thread started.
post #5 of 2818 Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 PM

Just purchased one (52) but delivery is a week out (my schedule). Adjusted in the store the picture was great with really a fantastic feeling of almost being there. I'll add more comments when I have it in house.

Jim
post #6 of 2818 Old 04-29-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good to hear jmmaher that you checked out all the sets and you tried my settings (maybe with a little tweaking) and you found the Sharp to be pleasant.

You get a chance to compare it to some other TVs that were there? Any thoughts you would like to share with us on any comparisons you might have made/seen?

Look forward to seeing your thoughts on the thread when you get it set up and have more time to be hands on with the set

Movieguy
post #7 of 2818 Old 04-30-2010, 06:41 AM

The only real tweaks I tried (and kept ) were to make it a little brighter to compensate for the bright lights in the store. I'll work on variations when I have it at home. I primarily compared it to the plasma sets as I was thinking about moving in that direction. I considered the Panasonic G25 series (very nice picture however not as crisp as the Sharp and the whites tended toward the yellow side.) I was seriously considering the Samsung 7000 plasma and tried tweaking that set with some of the forum suggestions but while it looked good (and I liked the 3D option) there was really no comparison from my perspective. It's ironic but I couldn't get the 3D set to look as three dimensional as the Sharp.

Jim
post #8 of 2818 Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 AM

I picked up the 60LE810UN earlier this week and am blown away at the color and the blacks. I also have a Sony 55" EX500. IMO the Sharp is in another class. From the overall construction to the depth of color and the black levels.. the Sharp wins hands down.

My only complaint so far is a bad lip sync issue. Ironically when the audio is coming from the TV itself. The audio coming from the TV speakers lags behind the picture BADLY. My cable box and BD palyer are both connected with HDMI. Anybody have any ideas???
post #9 of 2818 Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, tbh....I have seen a lip sync issue BUT before you jump to a conclusion I have to add that it was only for 1 specific channel during one program, when I checked other channels, the lip sync was fine, and then I flipped back to the original program there was a lip sync issue, BUT once that channel change the program that was on, the lip sync was gone as well

So in my experience it was the actual station/program that was out of sync, and I havent had a problem since that one time I saw it.....so I think it was the station and not the TV

Movieguy
post #10 of 2818 Old 04-30-2010, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Finally, Picked up my 40LE810UN from Best Buy last night(Order Online Sunday), after I set it up and used MovieGuys settings from the other thread, I pop in one of my BBC Earth 1080p BluRay Rips "Pole to Pole", the scene with the Million birds flying gave my older
Sharp 42D64U the hiccups, no problem with this TV...Two things that perturbed me though, I definitely noticed and missed the 2"
I lost from the D64U to the 810UN and even still the 810UN is a tighter fit in my Armoire Height wise, but here's the real bummer, this new toy fail and I mean absolutely failed to keep me awoke all night watching HD material, usually Thursdays & Saturdays I stay up later cause I don't have to work the next day, I was Out cold about 10 mins into "Pole to Pole" episode, good thing Sharp carried forward the Power Saving / Sleep feature from the D64U to the 810UN that puts the T.V. to sleep if there's no Operation for 3 hrs, Otherwise my T.V.'s would spend more time watching me as I do them..
post #11 of 2818 Old 04-30-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguy163201 View Post

So in my experience it was the actual station/program that was out of sync, and I havent had a problem since that one time I saw it.....so I think it was the station and not the TV

Unfortunately I seem to have it on all channels and my BD player. Oddly enough the audio running into my older (non-hdmi) amp which is using the optical cables is much more "in-sync". I'm at a loss....
post #12 of 2818 Old 04-30-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@Nujacc
Well Nujacc when you get a chance to stay awake, tell us what you really think of the set

@torqvaw
I dont know what to tell you....exchange possibility?

Movieguy
post #13 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 07:27 AM

Well, add me to the list of new owners after i swapped out my Sony Ex700 60"
last night for the 60" Sharp.

I had posted in the Sony thread about my initial thoughts on both (I had bought the Sony, my brother the Sharp)

After extensive comparison, two things finally swung me to the sharp. The MUCH better off axis viewing angles of the sharp and the overall better color "depth" for lack of a better term of the sharp especially in the blacks, dark blues and browns. (Paris texas on blu-ray with all it's texas high desert shots really showed that difference).

I had not really noticed how weak the off angle viewing was on the Sony until i noticed it being much better on the Sharp. The Samsung that the Sony initially replaced had about the same viewing angles.

I'm still not in love with the bezel on this thing especially the "chin" but I do have to agree after unpacking and handling both that the Sharp seems to have better build quality.

One other down spot is that I did have the TV lock up completely once when trying to switch back from my apple TV and that required unplugging the set to recover from.

BTW: The guy at BB told me i was the 3rd person this week that had swapped one of the 700 series Sony's for a sharp. He said they had some good deals on open box 700's
post #14 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumon View Post

OK. Good start. Will see how the adoption of these sets turns out.
I bought my first Sharp LCD 5 years ago and it was top in PQ at that time. Then they lost their grip.
I think to gain their share back they should price them a little lower or people will still be buying Sammys over them.

Has anyone started an official E88UN thread yet?
post #15 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboeau View Post

Has anyone started an official E88UN thread yet?

Nope, feel free!
post #16 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 01:25 PM

i really hope there are no real lip syncing issues with this set. I have three exams this week (law school), and then i'm on my way to bbuy to pick up the 46 inch model! I returned a 46b750 samsung last year cos of the lip syncing, and with my new pio elite amp, i would hate if there is syncing issues!! Can anyone confirm or refute the syncing using a ps3 through an amp?
post #17 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 02:46 PM

I occasionally have some issues with lip syncing when watching cable TV, but it happened on my old set too, and I'm pretty sure it's due to having a stone age cable box. I have an Xbox 360 and gaming PC hooked up to mine, and I use the optical output through Logitech Z680's for Dolby Digital on the Xbox and 6 channel direct analog for 5.1 through the 3 2-channel stereo inputs for the PC. I haven't experienced any syncing issues on games with either system (I use game mode for both). You might try toning down the film mode or 120hz mode as these seem to increase lag and may be contributing to your delay. See if it happens in game mode and say movie mode to the same extent...
post #18 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 03:37 PM

I currently have a Sony bravia Xbr6 40" and want to upgrade to a 46" and this is the tv that grabbed my attention. Does anyone have the bravia xbr6 series and how does this aquos compare to the xbr series? Is this aquos rgby technology worth it?

Last night I saw the demo of the 46" aquos le810un and I was impressed by the colors as they were very saturated but there was no actual movie playing.

I'd love to find some reviews on it but the product is so new that reviews doesn't exist. I'll be following this thread for a while but I'm am tempted to pick this aquos up tonight...
post #19 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 04:33 PM

There are a couple of reviews, though you'll have to judge for yourself if you trust them. There are links somewhere in the Sharp 2010 CES Lineup thread.
post #20 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 PM

I was in another BB store today and observed the same awful (intermittent) picture shattering on all 810UN sets they had. Again, all other sets were fine.
I've checked the type of feed that BB had to their TVs and it was coax.
I was almost ready to get this TV, but this weird thing turns me off.
post #21 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 PM

From the reviews it seems that the reviewers were impressed by the colors from the 810 but not impressed by the black levels.

I'm very happy with the black levels on my bravia and very nervous about the aquos 810's black level as black level is more important to me than the actual overall color reproduction (usually washed out black levels mean not a good overall color production).

That's why I'm so confused by the reviews saying the colors looked amazing but the blacks looked washed out.. It's usually all or nothing based on the black level from my experience..

Question for the OP, how is the black level to you?
post #22 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry guys I had been doing house work all day, pressure washing and stuff so I hadnt had a chance to really post

Well snoguy you decided to take the plunge? You too also think the off angle viewing is better than the EX700? I knew I couldnt be the only one, to me there is no comparison, the EX700 viewing angle is real bad. I too also thought the colors/blacks seemed better than the Sony, as well as the build quality, you can really feel and see a difference when unpacking especially if you had both of them.....wow 3 EX700 returns for Sharps in a week? If thats the truth Im actually kinda stunned they would swing the way from Sony to Sharp and not choose another brand, I wonder if BB employees are reading these forums and pushing the TVs instead of the EX700s now?

Hossenstein, I have had a lip syncing issue on a particular program, but when I change the channel, the other ones didnt have the lip syncing issue, then when I switched back to the original program I was watching, it was still there, I dont think this was the TVs fault I think it was the broadcaster/stations fault or the cable company STB, but IM inclined to say the first, because as soon as a new program came on on that station, no more lip syncing problem

dumon, I dont know what to tell you other than with the 40in 810 Im not having any of those problems you are describing, and I would attribute it to the best buy environment....Id say just pull the trigger and if you get some problems, just return it saying intermittent and get a refund or another set

jjahshik32, blacks look great to me, and much better than the EX700 blacks. The semi gloss screen could be playing a role in this as opposed to the matte screen. But I compared it to my EX500 as well, and it seem to be at least as good, if not better, in my eyes

This is just my opinion tho

Movieguy
post #23 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:

I was in another BB store today and observed the same awful (intermittent) picture shattering on all 810UN sets they had. Again, all other sets were fine.

I went to the north ave BB in Chicago earlier today and they had the 46,52 and 60" on display. All the TV's showed the same picture jarring/jumping effect. None of the samsung's or sony's showed this!
On a positive note the BB sales guy praised the Sharps to have better PQ than the sammy

Samsung UN55D6400, Comcast HD DVR, Infinity TSS-1200 speakers, Pioneer VSX-1120k
post #24 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:

dumon, I dont know what to tell you other than with the 40in 810 Im not having any of those problems you are describing, and I would attribute it to the best buy environment....Id say just pull the trigger and if you get some problems, just return it saying intermittent and get a refund or another set

I would attribute it to BB if it was not only 810 sets having this problem.
I don't know what to think.
BB is overpriced, I was going to order online. That is why I am hesitant.
post #25 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thats understandable if youre going to order it over the internet, I just got mine at BB because of the price glitch and I was looking for a 40in model

Maybe some of these quirks will be worked out on a firmware update or maybe thru the SM, if anyone has a way to get in there, post it

But in my experience with the OTA its been fine, but thats only been maybe 30 mins here or there with a certain show, possible only bigger models are/were affected?

Movieguy
post #26 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Thats understandable if youre going to order it over the internet, I just got mine at BB because of the price glitch and I was looking for a 40in model

Maybe some of these quirks will be worked out on a firmware update or maybe thru the SM, if anyone has a way to get in there, post it

But in my experience with the OTA its been fine, but thats only been maybe 30 mins here or there with a certain show, possible only bigger models are/were affected?

I've seen it on all models from 40" to 60". As you can see a couple of other people verified it at diff BB stores.
See if you can spot it with OTA when you have chance. BB may be running custom QAM channel feed actually.
post #27 of 2818 Old 05-01-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:

On my 810, when Motion Enhancement is enabled on Low or High, I have noticed an issue on occasion where the screen will appear to flash very quickly, perhaps 20 times in 200 ms or so, and then will have a longer blink where the image resets (screen goes blank, the TV does not reset), and it continues on like nothing happened.

Is this the 'picture shattering' you're talking about?

I have seen this during:
2001: A Space Odyssey in at least 3 scenes. While I am in the chapter, I can skip back and this issue will repeat. However, I went to the main menu, went back to the chapter, and the issue did not occur...

It has occurred in Planet Earth EVERY time in the Fresh Water episode, Chapter 5, where the piranhas devour the fish.

This has also occurred occasionally on low quality TV commercials, such as one of the Luna commercials here in the Chicago area, via a Motorola DCX-3400, also connected via HDMI.

These are all going through my Denon 2310 (which I do not think is the issue) over HDMI, and via the 2 HDMI inputs on my 810 that I have tried so far.

Can some of you other 810/820 owners try and repeat this, perhaps with the Planet Earth piranha scene, since that one is repeatable?
post #28 of 2818 Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like I have to pick up this Planet Earth DVD and give it a try, because I havent experience anything like how you described

However, just a quick couple of questions
What DVD player are you using? Any upscaling? What Resolution? HDMI Im guessing? DVD Firmware upgraded? Is the DVD player known to be good? (obviously if you have an Oppo, I dont need an answer for this)

I have a Pioneer DV-410 with modified firmware from Hkan, tried a couple DVDs in 1080P and they looked great
HOWEVER!
Any PAL DVDs I have tried to throw on, I could have 120Hz on with minimal to no fuss, BUT any film mode settings would result in dupe/blended frames which caused major distraction even on 25fps progressive material (material I know to be progressive, not 25i)

I also gave some Xvid AVIs a shot, Xvids from an NTSC source that are 23.976fps, 120Hz and Film mode were not a problem, ANY Xvid from a PAL source that ran at 25fps resulted in the dupe/blended frames when film mode set on, 120Hz was same as PAL DVDs

Basically, ANY PAL material, turn off film mode all together

Edit:
Was watching TNTHD tonight (movie) and experienced lip sync issue, pretty noticeable as well, but when I went to different channels, there was no lip sync problem, I went back to TNTHD and the lip sync problem was there, waited for some commercials and then there was no lip sync, after commercials and back to movie on TBTHD the lip sync was still there

This has to be either a broadcast/station problem or a STB problem....Next time I see lip sync, Im going to have my TV already hook up to the STB with component as well as HDMI and switch to the component and see if its on that input as well....if need be Ill drag my EX500 out into the living room to see if the problem is on that set as well

Movieguy
post #29 of 2818 Old 05-02-2010, 02:08 AM

I just checked bestbuy.com and they dropped the prices for the 810. The 46" was $1899 earlier today but now it's $1499. Better yet amazon has the 46" for $1289 now!
post #30 of 2818 Old 05-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Reposted for smaller sizes

KakiC●l○r® Calibration w/ Calman

---------------------------------------------------------------

Current Setup:

*LG 55" LH95/LHX

-Semi-Gloss Coating

-Direct Backlit SlimLED w/ Local Dimming

-3360 LEDs w/ 240 Zones

*LG 42" LM7600

-Gloss Coating

-Edge-lit LED w/ Local Dimming

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc 46le810un Aquos 46 Inch 1080p X Gen Lcd Hdtv With Quad Pixel Technology , Sharp Lc 60le820un 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Edge Lit Lcd Hdtv , Sharp Lc 52le820un Aquos 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page