Official Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN Owner's Thread. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1532 Old 06-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to pull the trigger on this TV via the Dell deal... I was really looking forward to getting one of the new 3D TVs, but after a few months of daily trips to Best Buy and the Samsung Experience stores (I live across the street from a BB and a couple of blocks away from the Samsung Experience store) and viewing all the 3D models available, I've decided that it wasn't worth the premium at this infancy stage of the technology.

I've had my Pioneer 503cmx 50" plasma for about a decade now (still can't believe I plunked down almost $9,000 back then for it)... and I decided that I will get a cheap, but "best of mature technology". That should suffice for a couple of years while 3D is being worked on and more content becomes available.

My living room has plenty of windows with lots of light, and that's why I've ruled out plasmas at this point (suffered enough for years of dim daytime viewing).

Now this 88un set... for the Dell price... seriously, just can't be beat! Deal expires tomorrow, so now I got to run it by the woman...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1532 Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicomandell View Post

Looks like I may have the same issue that you were having with the white bands. Noticed it last night just before turning my set off in the dark. Since you already went trhough this process I have a few questions for you. Did u contact Sharp directly? How did they exchange the TV? Did u have to ship your TV back first and then they sent you a new one? Just want to see if it's worth the hassle. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Chico

I contacted Sharp directly, they had me send them some pictures of the screen showing the white bands. Within a day, they called me to arrange an exchange. It took about a week but they delivered the new set and picked up the old one at that time. Totally painless, and the new TV is about as close to perfect as I could get with an LCD.
post #93 of 1532 Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM

If anyone has had real luck with the settings please post. Would love to try more to keep tweaking.
post #94 of 1532 Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Can someone talk about the black levels on this TV? I'm VERY, VERY tempted to get this, but the Mrs. is actually the one asking about it more! She loves scifi, so lots of space movies (love Serenity!)...so we have lots of blacks. We currently have a 5 year old (or so) Toshiba 58" CRT Rear Projection TV (VERY BIG BOX!). So, she is used to blacks being pretty decent since it's a CRT.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
post #95 of 1532 Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 PM

[quote=MonkeyMafia;18720846]
My living room has plenty of windows with lots of light, and that's why I've ruled out plasmas at this point (suffered enough for years of dim daytime viewing).[quote]

I have the same problem with my living room....huge picture windows. This TV has a nice matte finish on the screen, the glare is considerably less than a glass screen. I'm very happy with it.

Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN 60" LCD TV
Sharp BD-MPC41U Home Theater System
Dish Network and Netflix
post #96 of 1532 Old 06-02-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas41 View Post

I contacted Sharp directly, they had me send them some pictures of the screen showing the white bands. Within a day, they called me to arrange an exchange. It took about a week but they delivered the new set and picked up the old one at that time. Totally painless, and the new TV is about as close to perfect as I could get with an LCD.

Thanks for the quick response. I really appreciate all the info. One more question. I was reading some other posts about people returning different TV's to Sharp and getting refurbished TVs. Did you get a brand new set or a refurb?

Thanks again,

Chico
post #97 of 1532 Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Any gamers here? Can you comment on input lag with this model?

One day at a time...
post #98 of 1532 Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response. I really appreciate all the info. One more question. I was reading some other posts about people returning different TV's to Sharp and getting refurbished TVs. Did you get a brand new set or a refurb?

Thanks again,

Chico

It was brand new. I would have flipped if it were a refurb. Again, it was well worth it IMO because the new set is damn good.
post #99 of 1532 Old 06-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas41 View Post

It was brand new. I would have flipped if it were a refurb. Again, it was well worth it IMO because the new set is damn good.

I figured you wouldn't be raving about a refurb TV, but just wanted to double check :-). Sharp customer service sounds pretty awesome. Thanks again for all the help.
post #100 of 1532 Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 AM

Im thinking of picking this tv its such a good deal. Could anybody tell me if it has a variable volume setting and what about a headphone jack. Would like to hook my zvox up and still use the tv remote for volume.
post #101 of 1532 Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 PM

Hey,

Im new to this site and glad I found it. I just received this TV about a week ago. I found a dead pixel the second I turned it on right in the middle, the bigger problem is that it seems to flicker when changing scenes and in high contrast scenes. It also seems to have an audio sync issue with DVDs. Dell is replacing it, but I called Sharp anyway just to try and get an idea of what might be going on. I see the flickering problem mostly when playing my xbox 360 (must be in game mode or there will be lots of lag) or streaming video through the xbox 360. I have played with all the advanced settings and nothing seems to fix the problem. I have a sony av receiver and everything is going through hdmi. Has anyone else had this problem?
post #102 of 1532 Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 PM

thankfully no problems yet. I could not be happier with the set and now with the samsung blu ray I am streaming YT and Pandora, so it is fantastic. I attached 3 screenshots and they just look amazing. Did firmware update which I also think helped.
LL
LL
LL
post #103 of 1532 Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlees View Post

Can someone talk about the black levels on this TV? I'm VERY, VERY tempted to get this, but the Mrs. is actually the one asking about it more! She loves scifi, so lots of space movies (love Serenity!)...so we have lots of blacks. We currently have a 5 year old (or so) Toshiba 58" CRT Rear Projection TV (VERY BIG BOX!). So, she is used to blacks being pretty decent since it's a CRT.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I can't comment first hand but I can offer this up for what it's worth. It has what is considered a better panel than last years model, the 77 series. Look at the comparison in the Sharp section of the link below the 77 series had slightly better black levels than the LE820. The comparison measurements were from two different outfits so its not exactly an apples to apples but a decent reference just the same.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1250816
post #104 of 1532 Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophermoon View Post

Hey,

Im new to this site and glad I found it. I just received this TV about a week ago. I found a dead pixel the second I turned it on right in the middle, the bigger problem is that it seems to flicker when changing scenes and in high contrast scenes. It also seems to have an audio sync issue with DVDs. Dell is replacing it, but I called Sharp anyway just to try and get an idea of what might be going on. I see the flickering problem mostly when playing my xbox 360 (must be in game mode or there will be lots of lag) or streaming video through the xbox 360. I have played with all the advanced settings and nothing seems to fix the problem. I have a sony av receiver and everything is going through hdmi. Has anyone else had this problem?

Not sure what you mean by "flickering" but mine I notice that on some sources like the Verizon FIOS HDTV and my DVD player it doesn't look smooth, like when panning across a screen it stutters. I figured it might just be the source because it doesn't happen on blurays, but my 42 inch sharp never had that issue on the same cable box. I'm going to contact sharp to see if I can get mine swapped out for a new one incase Dell just gave me a lemon.
post #105 of 1532 Old 06-05-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by "flickering" but mine I notice that on some sources like the Verizon FIOS HDTV and my DVD player it doesn't look smooth, like when panning across a screen it stutters. I figured it might just be the source because it doesn't happen on blurays, but my 42 inch sharp never had that issue on the same cable box. I'm going to contact sharp to see if I can get mine swapped out for a new one incase Dell just gave me a lemon.

When it flickers, the whole screen kind of jumps or flashes. Its been happening on xbox 360 games, streaming video, and DVDs.
post #106 of 1532 Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 PM

So I purchased this TV today. Expected arrival is 6/10, I just couldn't pass up that deal they had at Dell. Seemed like by far the best bang for my buck out there currently, on what looks to be a great TV set. So I just wanted to say hi to the other owners and hopefully we can get some settings posted up and discussed soon
post #107 of 1532 Old 06-05-2010, 09:57 PM

I received mine on 6/4. I love it so far.

The only setting change I have made is to turn Film Mode to Off. When it is set to Advanced (High) or Advanced (Low) I notice some jittering when the camera is panning on just about any input source.

Anyone know when (or what input source) should film mode be enabled and set to Advanced (High) or Advanced (Low)?
post #108 of 1532 Old 06-06-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophermoon View Post

Hey,
I see the flickering problem mostly when playing my xbox 360 (must be in game mode or there will be lots of lag) or streaming video through the xbox 360. I have played with all the advanced settings and nothing seems to fix the problem. I have a sony av receiver and everything is going through hdmi. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had the same problem with the flickering(if you mean like a flashing going from bright to dark). All my components go through Onkyo receiver, but so far I have only used my computer as a source. I upgraded my firmware to the latest, and I still had the issue. What stopped the flicking was turning off "Active Contrast". You can turn in off in the Video->Advanced->Active Contrast menu.

I've had this TV now for two days and ordered it from Dell. I got to say I'm very impressed. It's the first TV I had gotten that didn't have a single dead pixel. Now I just have to read the manual!
post #109 of 1532 Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 AM

Looking at this Sharp Set at Best Buy -- looks awesome btw! BUT is it a misprint that it consumes almost 400 watts? Thats more then a DLP projector tv?
post #110 of 1532 Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999 View Post

Looking at this Sharp Set at Best Buy -- looks awesome btw! BUT is it a misprint that it consumes almost 400 watts? Thats more then a DLP projector tv?

Sharp's site says 390 watts but it is also compliant with Energy Star Version 4.0 standards, so not sure what to think till cnet does a real review.
post #111 of 1532 Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durzil View Post

Sharp's site says 390 watts but it is also compliant with Energy Star Version 4.0 standards, so not sure what to think till cnet does a real review.

so maybe I', making a big issue out of the 390 watts draw.. coming from a 73" dlp i'd like to save energy and lower the heat output (my dlp actually raises my basement's media room typically 5 deg - ouch

how is this set, i know its a CFL vs LED model - which maybe actually is a better PQ light source? also looking at the new "yellow" model in 60" as well, but when I saw it best buy it seems OK but not sure I like the glossy screen?

thanks in advance,
John
post #112 of 1532 Old 06-08-2010, 06:13 AM

Well I had my first problem at day four. I came home from work and went to power everything up(TV, receiver, computer) and the TV flashed the computer screen and then turned itself off. I then pressed the remote power and it did the same thing. So then I unplugged the TV and waited a few minutes. When I plugged it back in I got the dreaded power light flashing once a second. The TV then refused to turn back on. I repeated trying this over and over and still would only get the flashing power light.

I then proceed to call Sharp and the tech support walked me through a reset which is documented below.

1) Unplug the TV
2) Hold down the "Input" button and the "Vol Down" button at the same time(On the TV, not the remote). While the buttons are being held down plug the TV back in. Hold the buttons until you see a "K" on the screen.
3) Now press both the "Channel Down" button and "Volume Down" button at the same time(On TV, not remote). You should then get a service menu.
4) Get the remote and press the down arrow button. It should select an option called something init. Press right arrow. Now you should see a three "off" labels. Where one is now changed to "On". Press enter on the remote and it will flash some stuff on the screen. It will end with a blue screen saying software version numbers. If there are errors they will show here. e.g like a lamp error. I had no errors.
5) At this point turn off the TV and turn it back on. It should be reset now.

We went through this procedure and I still ended up with the power light flashing and being unable to turn the TV on. Even though the TV worked in the service mode. At this point he informed me of the bad news. They had to send someone to my house for service. So we scheduled the service and call.

Now after I was done with Sharp on the phone, I still could not believe that the TV would work in service mode, but would not work normally. So I went back down stairs and went through the reset procedure again. This time though instead of unplugging the TV after the reset I just pressed the power button to turn it off. I then waited a minute and turned it back on and it worked. No more flashing power light. Then I unplugged it, waited 5 minutes, and plugged it back in and it still worked. So far its still working(tried again this morning).

I tried getting some answers from Sharp on the what it means when the power light flashing and TV won't turn on but he didn't give me a definitive answer. He ask if we had any electrical surges, or storms. We didn't have any storms or power issues yesterday. So it leads me to believe its some sort of power supply issue???

Now that its working, I am going to wait two days and if its still working I'm going to cancel the service call. I just don't want to cancel everything, and then it locks up again. Forcing me to go through entire support call again.

I do want to point out one more thing that may have triggered this. At the time everything was powering up I was in the TV's menu system(TV always comes on before the computer). Specifically I had turned "on" OPC. At about the same same the computer was going from the windows boot screen to the login. At which time the resolution changes. I don't know if this triggered this, but I though I would point this out. This may have been some freak condition causing this to occur, but had nothing to do with a power issue.

I'll keep you posted.
post #113 of 1532 Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 AM

There's a bug with the audio switching using optical on my unit (latest fw)
when switching from pc to cable using the remotes input button the sound does not switch to cable. I have to hit flashback twice, then the audio changes sources.
No big deal, but worth noting.
post #114 of 1532 Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Has anybody done any gaming with the 60E88UN?

I'm just curious because Sharp has a good history of relatively low lag sets, and if that continues with this model, it could be part of a great big-screen gamer's rig... 60-inches, low price, no frills, just a nice large screen with good picture quality.

One day at a time...
post #115 of 1532 Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy nightmares View Post

Has anybody done any gaming with the 60E88UN?

I'm just curious because Sharp has a good history of relatively low lag sets, and if that continues with this model, it could be part of a great big-screen gamer's rig... 60-inches, low price, no frills, just a nice large screen with good picture quality.

I use it with my PS3. I had to turn off all of the "enhancements" (film mode, motion, noise, active contrast) for it to look right and put it in game mode and I have no input lag at all.
post #116 of 1532 Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 PM

Arghh!! I am torn between this and LC-60LE810UN

upgrading from a LG 47lb5d. Its been and is a great TV. Jsut want bigger.
Figured LED was latest and greatest but after reading this thread I dont know.
I like the dell deal going right now compared to the 2199.00 of the 810
TV viewing is mostly watching from my PS3(Mainly action moviesTransformers,Iron Man etc)/Some gaming(Kids) and TV(Typical HD TV shows and nascar for sports). No pc viewing.

Have all componets going through a denon 2809 with one HDMI coming out of the Denon to my current LG LCD.

Was anyone else on the fence comparing these 2??

Thanks
Dennis
post #117 of 1532 Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Could someone comment on whether or not the LC-60E88UN has any sound leveling and how well it works if present?

My wife remembers very fondly the wonderful "Smart Sound" feature on her 19" Magnavox CRT TV and this is the one feature at the top of her list whenever considering a TV.
post #118 of 1532 Old 06-09-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajabon View Post

Could someone comment on whether or not the LC-60E88UN has any sound leveling and how well it works if present?

My wife remembers very fondly the wonderful "Smart Sound" feature on her 19" Magnavox CRT TV and this is the one feature at the top of her list whenever considering a TV.

It does have sound leveling but it does very little to anything. This set has the worst sound of any television I've ever owned. I have to crank to volume to even try to understand the dialog and then get brutally assaulted when some action comes on. Have to ride the volume the entire movie. I'm gonna try and route my optical cable directly to my reciever instead of using the optical out on the tv from my hdmi.
post #119 of 1532 Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 AM

Last night I went to fire everything up again and the TV did the same thing except it didn't lock up on the flashing power light. After two attempts of turning it back on I was able to get it come on. It seems have a problem with syncing to my HDMI receiver(Onkyo TX-507 ). I hear a lot of clicking from the receiver as it tries to display the screen( 4 clicks). Almost like its switching on and off. I also noticed that it display Input 8: TX-507 on the screen when it sync's up properly. If its not going to sync and power off the screen just displays Input 8 then goes black.

In this case my computer was already on, but my receiver was off. I turned the receiver on first then the TV. I do have the latest firmware which says it fixes HDMI syncing issues, but this seems to still be a problem.

As an experiment I hooked the PC directly to the TV, powering them up at different times( like Computer on, TV Off, TV on, computer off) and it worked fine. So I'm leaning towards an HDMI compatability issue.

Is anyone else going through a HDMI repeater receiver?
post #120 of 1532 Old 06-09-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNAGOD View Post

It does have sound leveling but it does very little to anything. This set has the worst sound of any television I've ever owned. I have to crank to volume to even try to understand the dialog and then get brutally assaulted when some action comes on. Have to ride the volume the entire movie. I'm gonna try and route my optical cable directly to my reciever instead of using the optical out on the tv from my hdmi.

Thanks DYNAGOD! Great feedback; I will tell my wife and let her make a decision.

We were leaning strongly toward this TV, but now I wonder if we should not consider a 58" Panasonic Plasma or perhaps a 55" Samsung/LG LCD.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page