The Official Sony Bravia KDL EX500 Calibration Settings Thread! Post yours!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey errbody, I'm back, and I brought a new TV with me!

Some of you may be familiar with my KDL W4100 thread over the past year and a half and I've recently upgraded to the KDL EX500! I've got the 55 inch which replaced my 40 inch in my room.

In this thread we'll post settings to share, but non-users can of course use this thread to ask any questions about the EX500 as well.

There an insane amount of settings to play with on this set, from Game Modes, to Standard and Custom settings there are "source" modes and they all have there own customizations. And here are mine...

ATTENTION: I recommend you wait a few minutes before adjusting your TV settings after just turning it on. This is due to LCD's having to "warm up" first before the clearest picture is in place.

Introducing OFF_ONLINE's "WOW! Settings."

"Bravia settings that will make you say WOW."

These settings are best used for gaming with an HDMI cord on a PS3/360 and Blu-Ray movies (but regular TV viewing looks great too).

*settings as of May 12th, 2010*

User Menu Settings
Picture Mode : CUSTOM (**Note each setting (Vivid, Standard Custom, Game-Standardl Game-Original etc) are slightly different by default.)
Backlight: 5 (WOW-ness without over doing it)
Picture: 85 (there really isnt a reason to have it lower or higher)
Brightness : 50 ( 50 hits Custom's mark for absolutely no loss of shadow detail)
Color : 50
Hue : 0
Color Temperature : Neutral
Sharpness : 1 (ive settled with a not so noisy picture. looks VERY professional. 1 is perfect for Custom.)
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG NR : Off
Motionflow: Standard
CineMotion: off
Advanced Settings
Black Corrector : off
Advanced CE : off
Gamma : off
Clear White : Low
Live Color : off
White Balance : Factory default (all zero)

So far this set has been a great buy! No clouding in my experience so far and the price couldn't be beat in my situation so it was a no-brainer.

So go ahead and post your settings and ask your questions if you have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 PM

My settings on a KDL60EX500:

User Menu Settings
Picture Mode : CUSTOM
Backlight: 2
Picture: 90
Brightness : 50
Color Temperature : Warm1
Sharpness : Min
Cinemotion: Off
Advanced Settings
Black Corrector : Off
Advanced CE : Off
Gamma : 0
Clear White : Off
Live Color : Off
White Balance :
R-Gain : 0
G-Gain :-4
B-Gain : 0
R-Bias : +4
G-Bias : -4
B-Bias : +2
Old 05-13-2010, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

What do you mainly use your settings on? Blu rays? Gaming?

I've also tweaked my settings so check em out!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:59 AM

what did you use to calibrate this? just curious. i just got this set a couple days ago. i watch movies, blu-ray and normal. i also watch a lot of streaming video from netflix/hulu.

will this thread be updated by you if you tweak more? i have a hard time figuring out the overwhelming number of settings sometimes
Old 05-14-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Serialmike Settings
Calibrated with THX, DVE, And custom patterns.
For all use Day, Night, FiosTV, Bluray, PS3, Xbox360.

60ex500

Picture Mode- Custom
Backlight-Min
Picture- 96
Brightness- 50
Color- 50
Hue- 0
Color Temp- Warm2
Sharpness- 2
Noise Reduction- Off
MPG Noise Red- Off
MotionFlow- Standard
Cinemotion- Off
Ambient Sensor- Off

Advanced Settings
Adv Contrast Enhancer- Low
Black Corrector- Low
Gamma- 0
Clear White- Off
Live Color- Off

White Balance-Default

Note-Screen set Full Pixel
Old 05-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This is a great thread idea, and it would be even more helpful if posters of settings would state what calibration "tool" was used to arrive at the settings. True calibrations using a meter are less susceptible to be influenced by the viewing environment than calibrations using the "eye-o-meter" and/or a calibration disc.

Also, as another poster requested, please state what type of viewing your settings are used for, e.g. game mode, BD movies, Sat/Cable, since each input can be calibrated individually.

Great start!
Cheers

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:28 AM

where would i get the equipment for this.see i dont know squat about this.
should i get an expert for this??
Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 AM

ive been reading that the 60 inch and 55 inch have different panels in them, and i see mike and a few others post the settings from their 60inch, would this make a huge difference between the 2 sets?
Old 05-15-2010, 10:32 AM

and also i apologize if this question has been asked before, but would having the backlight up to 5-7 have a negative effect on the tv in the long run? this is the first tv ive had that has the backlight feature and was just curious if anyone could put my mind at rest about this issue since im clearly still learning about it and would like to not burn the nice quality on the tv out in a few years, thanks !
Old 05-15-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk123 View Post

and also i apologize if this question has been asked before, but would having the backlight up to 5-7 have a negative effect on the tv in the long run? this is the first tv ive had that has the backlight feature and was just curious if anyone could put my mind at rest about this issue since im clearly still learning about it and would like to not burn the nice quality on the tv out in a few years, thanks !

No one can tell you have 60 inch settings will work on 55 inch set unless they tried them or they have both sets.

There is no harm in trying them and hitting reset if you dont like them. Or simply writing them down and then reverting if you dont like them.

As far as backlight there is no harnm to the set. This isnt a plamsa you can run aat 10 for 60000 hrs if you like as far as "wearing out" the set goes, it wont.

What backlight does do however is raise the blakc level of the set. With each and ev ery click of the backlight the color of black goes lighter, and lighter and lighter.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I've found that the backlight set at 4 and picture at 95 works great. So far I'm lovin this tv. Its a real crowd pleaser when I have family and friends over.

Just like my last set tho I keep stopping what I'm doin in my games or movies and I start messing with the settings for hours lol. Its addicting. So expect frequent updates guys!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFF_ONLINE View Post

I've found that the backlight set at 4 and picture at 95 works great. So far I'm lovin this tv. Its a real crowd pleaser when I have family and friends over.

Yep, I think a backlight anything over 5 just washes out the picture and raises black level too much. Seems that backlights of 3-4 are the norm, but I guess a level of 5 might be appropriate for very bright viewing environments.

By the way, the wife and I were watching this tv last night (she rarely watches this tv as it is in "my" media room), and she exclaimed "this tv has a better picture than our other tv." Mind you, the other tv is a calibrated Sony Z5100, just one step down from last year's XBR! Just goes to show how good a value this tv really is!
Cheers,
Chris

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
Old 05-16-2010, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Yep, I think a backlight anything over 5 just washes out the picture and raises black level too much. Seems that backlights of 3-4 are the norm, but I guess a level of 5 might be appropriate for very bright viewing environments.

By the way, the wife and I were watching this tv last night (she rarely watches this tv as it is in "my" media room), and she exclaimed "this tv has a better picture than our other tv." Mind you, the other tv is a calibrated Sony Z5100, just one step down from last year's XBR! Just goes to show how good a value this tv really is!
Cheers,
Chris

With each and every tick over Min backlight you raise black level. It is best to leave backlight as low as possible to retain as much black level as you can. Backlight at 4-5 is showroom default way to bright to be considered calibrated.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

With each and every tick over Min backlight you raise black level. It is best to leave backlight as low as possible to retain as much black level as you can. Backlight at 4-5 is showroom default way to bright to be considered calibrated.

Until someone does a proper ISF calibration on one of these tvs, I think your statement is premature. There are many other tvs (my Z5100 included) that have been calibrated and show the best blacks at backlight settings of something other than "minimum".
Of course, if by "as low as possible" you mean that it should be at the lowest setting that still shows proper blacks, then yes, you are correct. Only a true ISF cal can tell you what this setting should be.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Until someone does a proper ISF calibration on one of these tvs, I think your statement is premature. There are many other tvs (my Z5100 included) that have been calibrated and show the best blacks at backlight stteings of somehting other than "minimum".
Of course, if by "as low as possible" you mean that it should be at the lowest setting that still shows proper blacks, then yes, you are correct. Only a true ISF cal can tell you what this setting should be.

What I mean by lowest setting is the lowest backlight that still provides proper brightness.

With backlight at 4 or 5 you are having your white level set to a very high amount. According to a metered test posted on page 29 of the ex500 thread back light of 4 is a white level of 67 and 5 is 76 with power save off. Those are very bright numbers. Enough to cause eyestrain in darker rooms. And that is without things like ace on which would brighten more.

That said if you are in a very bright room or perhaps thats just the way you like it thats all good too

My meter is now ordered and should be here late this week.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

I'm curious what the settings will be like with a meter being used hmmmm.

Anywho, anyone have some opinions on the advanced settings? I think this set handles them waaay better than my previous w4100. With ACE whites still look bright with it on High which I was suprised by. Live color actually adds a more vibrant picture too.

But for some reason I don't feel right having them on because I don't want a false picture I want something as "natural" as possible.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm curious what the settings will be like with a meter being used hmmmm.

Anywho, anyone have some opinions on the advanced settings? I think this set handles them waaay better than my previous w4100. With ACE whites still look bright with it on High which I was suprised by. Live color actually adds a more vibrant picture too.

But for some reason I don't feel right having them on because I don't want a false picture I want something as "natural" as possible.

there is little doubt at this point. A few users me included feel that ACE and black level belong at low.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

than my previous w4100.

Off,

My w4100 has developed an issue such that I suspect I may have to get it replaced. I was looking at the EX500. How would you compare the w4100 and ex500 in terms of picture quality? The same? Better?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:

*settings as of May 12th, 2010*

User Menu Settings
Picture Mode : CUSTOM (**Note each setting (Vivid, Standard Custom, Game-Standardl Game-Original etc) are slightly different by default.)
Backlight: 5 (WOW-ness without over doing it)
Picture: 85 (there really isnt a reason to have it lower or higher)
Brightness : 50 ( 50 hits Custom's mark for absolutely no loss of shadow detail)
Color Temperature : Neutral
Sharpness : 1 (ive settled with a not so noisy picture. looks VERY professional. 1 is perfect for Custom.)
CineMotion: off
Advanced Settings
Black Corrector : off
Advanced CE : off
Gamma : off
Clear White : Low
Live Color : off
White Balance : Factory default (all zero)

Hi off_online,

Do you think that the settings above are the optimal settings to watch blurays for the KDL-40EX500 model??

Regards.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 PM

Can anyone post some more settings for blu-ray movies/ ps3 gaming for the KDL40EX500.

I have been trying to get this right but can't find anything really optimal. I have been doing my best to read through the official thread and have tried some of those as well.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:13 AM

How optimal are these settings for the 40ex500?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjbjbjb View Post

My settings on a KDL60EX500:

User Menu Settings
Picture Mode : CUSTOM
Backlight: 2
Picture: 90
Brightness : 50
Color Temperature : Warm1
Sharpness : Min
Cinemotion: Off
Advanced Settings
Black Corrector : Off
Advanced CE : Off
Gamma : 0
Clear White : Off
Live Color : Off
White Balance :
R-Gain : 0
G-Gain :-4
B-Gain : 0
R-Bias : +4
G-Bias : -4
B-Bias : +2

These are great settings. Can you explain how the advanced settings make a difference? I'm trying to find a way to get more sharpness and avoid bad motion blur. Can you help?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a KDL32EX500, and I mainly use it for gaming and blu ray. I have been having an issue with motion blur, or "ghosting". I am a fan of sharpness (to get the full detail) and high motionflow (to get that smooth movement). Can anyone here help me keep the sharpness and motionflow and reduce motion blur?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackham1207 View Post

I have a KDL32EX500, and I mainly use it for gaming and blu ray. I have been having an issue with motion blur, or "ghosting". I am a fan of sharpness (to get the full detail) and high motionflow (to get that smooth movement). Can anyone here help me keep the sharpness and motionflow and reduce motion blur?

Try Cinemotion on Auto2.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 PM

Question is this model of tv an IPS or equal quality??
Old 01-21-2011, 05:01 AM

Has anyone got gaming calibration settings? The guys in the other thread are useless for this kind of thing.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone have settings for the 40EX500 that they'd like to share?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Im using off onlines settings for TV and it looks good, but what about gaming?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casio750 View Post

Does anyone have settings for the 40EX500 that they'd like to share?

These settings work very well for my 40EX500 (European model):

Picturemode: Standard
Backlight: 3
Picture: 91
Brightness: 51
Colour: 52
Hue: 0
Colour temp.: Warm 1
Sharpness: 3
Noise red: Off
MPG noise red.: Off
Motionflow: Standard (off for gaming)
Cinemotion: Auto 1 (Auto 2 for BD)
Ambient sensor: Off
Black Corrector: Low
Adv. contrast enh.: Low
Gamma: 0
Clear white: Off
Live colour: Off
White balance: default
Ambient Sensor- Off
Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 AM

My settings for the 40ex500 (Note: I like my picture brighter then most)

Mode: Custom
Backlight: 3
Picture: 98
Brightness: 52
COlor: 52
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharpness: 10
Noise Reduction: off
MPEG Reduction: off
Motionflow: standard
Cinemotion: Auto 1
Ambient sensor: Off

Advanced Settings:
Gamma: +1
White Balance:
G Gain: -1
B Gain: -4
R Bias: -3
B Bias: -1

(All other settings either off or what set on)

I took my settings from a different website and modified them to my liking. You can do the same.

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 55ex500 Series 55 Inch Lcd Tv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 40ex500 Series 40 Inch Lcd Tv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 46ex500 1080p 120hz 46 Inch Lcd Hd Tv , Sony Bravia Ex 500 Series 32 Inch Lcd Tv , Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500