40 inch LCD For Streaming HD movies off Portable Hard Drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I read about one of last years LG LCD's that you can simply hook up a portable hard drive to the USB port on the tv and stream your HD movies that you have downloaded. I really like this feature and wanted to know if this is only possible on LG sets or others as well? I plan to download the x264 bluray releases and stream on my tv so if anybody knows if this is only possible on LG or others please let me know.

Also, I wanted to ask if there would be any noticeable difference in picture quality if you play a 720p x264 release vs a 1080p x264 release on a 40/42 inch LCD??

Any help truly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 02:24 PM

Well,

Last years SL9000 was a good MKV HD Player, almost played EVERYTHING.

This Years, e.g. LE8500 is worse; not all files are playable.

I would have this (just like me) : An aditional HD Mediaplayer, like the WDTV Live HD.

For the quality: Yes, you will DEFINATELY see a difference between 720P and 1080P <3 Metres.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Salim. Is it possible to hook those HD media players like the WD one you listed directly up to hdtv's via usb? I am not crazy about the wireless streaming and relying on networks..

Also, do the lower end LG's support the mkv playback such as LH50, or the newer LD520/550 etc.. ??

edit: I just read about that WD Live unit and I guess it is not a hard drive but like a converter/player box, so I would need to plug a portable hard drive into the WD Live unit, and then plug that into an HDTV correct??

Will this work for any HDTV?? and will the x263 mkv movies play with the same smoothness on all tvs??
post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 05:53 PM

I just bought the WD HD Live over the weekend for streaming PlayOn and movies (via PS3 Media Server) to my living room. I'm using a powerline kit instead of wireless and there's no stuttering unless I try streaming a MKV Blu-ray rip (which I expected). It worked fine from the portable hard drive. I had been using my PS3 but didn't want it on all the time and needed a better interface.

U can hook up a hard drive to the Live via USB and then the Live to your TV via component or HDMI.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks man! so with a portable hard drive to the WD Live to the tv with HDMI, there is no stuttering when playing mkv bluray rip files?

Oh yes and the WD Live box is compatible with any portable hard drives correct??.. not just WD. I have a seagate but would also need to upgrade to a much higher capacity.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

and also, if LG hdtv's play hd content/mkv off of portable hard drives, then there would be no need for that WD Live box right..

I am looking at something like the LD520/550, maybe 5400 led lit. And do other LCD brand sets have this function?
post #7 of 9 Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 AM

What's the natural resolution of whatever video you're playing? it sounds like what someone above said. if you're playing something that's a normal TV resolution, then it's going look crap on a TV because it's bigger than the regular resolution and even worse on an HD TV which is even bigger. try playing a video that's 720p or 1080 and see if you have the same problem.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yea I really want the 5400 led lit but don't think I can afford it at this time.. which is why I was looking at 520/550 series. I went to see them at best buy and really did see the difference the 5400 brings, everything just seemed to "pop" more.

what can I say, being poor sucks :/
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2010, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

so can you guys tell me if LG is the only brand that streams h264/mkv bluray files well or do other makes have this ability too? If necessary, I will just buy one of the WD Live HD boxes, but want to know which sets work best without hiccups.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page