post #31 of 57 Old 05-30-2010, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesrt View Post

Hi everyone,
There are a ton of lip sync threads and I couldn't find a simplified answer for this.

I have a Vizio M470 that is connected via HDMI directly to my Dish HD DVR.
I've noticed some serious lip sync issues recently. You can hear the word spoken and at the end of the word you see it being spoken on the display.

I know the Vizio has a lip sync adjustment in the menu but playing with it doesn't effect much. I'm wondering if there's another setting or adjustment I can make?

If this has been adressed in another thread please post the link. I couldn't find it.

I have the vf552 and been having lip sync problem with all my inputs (HDMI-ps3,component-Xbox 360, VIA Apps, OTA HD TV). I really would like to fix this problem since I like the PQ of the 552 but the lip sync thing really annoys me. I had the previous edition vf551 and I didn't have this problem and I am wondering why the newer technology set seems to be going backwards in usability.

I know there is a lot of Vizio bashing here but most of us get Vizios because they are the most bang for your buck and costco carries them. Sure I would like a top end Samsung LED but just a year ago they were nearly twice the price of the vizio. It seems the vizio almost single handed lowered the price of LED sets and I like that type of competition in the electronics market. I have bought a few vizios over the years and really liked almost all of them, other than the vf552. So whatever you feel about Vizio, what about trying to answer this thread's question rather than telling him his TV/manufacturer is junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Paganfx4.
What effect does your TVs lip sync adjsutment on content other then liveTV ?

Yesterday on an ABC HD broadcast they had a split screen with one side containg a newscaster in a studio and the other side containing another newscaster in another location. Their was no lip sync problem with the studio broadcaster but there was a bad lip synce problem with the remote broadcaster.
post #33 of 57 Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks walford for the reply. I'm pretty sure that my lip sync problem is in the Tv itself since I have the problem when playing video games (hdmi and component) and bluray discs. I have tried fixing the lip sync issue initially with the lip sync settings but the problem lies that the adjustment goes the wrong way- Meaning that my lag is in the negative direction and the adjustment is in the positive therefore the adjustment just makes the lip sync problems worse. I wish I had a high end received that could compensate for this but I don't. I do have the broadcast lag issues with the OTA TV but I really don't mind that too much, but when I am watching a video on netflix or watching a blueray I feel the lag is more than annoying.
post #34 of 57 Old 05-31-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Make sure your TV is in Game mode and all motion compensation options are off since these cause more video processsing to occur on the TV before the image is displayed.
post #35 of 57 Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 PM

I just tried disabling all the settings (smooth motion,real cinema,noise reduction,adaptive luma, film mode) and tried game mode, but I don't know why that would help. I tested the new settings using a DVD played on my ps3 (hdmi) both with smart dimming off and on and there is still a video lag in the picture. Thanks for your suggestion but I guess my TV is just a lemon.

Are there any high quality audio receivers out there that can compensate for my problem? That would fix my problem elegantly, plus I need to upgrade my audio system anyway.
post #36 of 57 Old 05-31-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganfx4 View Post

I just tried disabling all the settings (smooth motion,real cinema,noise reduction,adaptive luma, film mode) and tried game mode, but I don't know why that would help. I tested the new settings using a DVD played on my ps3 (hdmi) both with smart dimming off and on and there is still a video lag in the picture. Thanks for your suggestion but I guess my TV is just a lemon.

Are there any high quality audio receivers out there that can compensate for my problem? That would fix my problem elegantly, plus I need to upgrade my audio system anyway.

This makes no sense. If your video is lagging your audio, then the lip sync adjustment in the Vizio menu should fix it. That's the normal problem: Video lagging audio. Video takes a split second more time to process than the (usually faster) audio---and that's just what the Vizio lip sync adjustment is designed for---slowing down the audio (in 5 selectable steps) to match the video.
post #37 of 57 Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 AM

I guess it not video lag then but audio lag. Whatever direction the lip sync adjustment is in it is the opposite. So I need to slow the video down and speed up the audio. I'm not too sure what it is but I can hear the words spoken first and then I can see their lips make the sounds. Sorry for saying it was video lag I just a newbie to these terms. Whatever it is I'm SOL anyway. I am starting to think my set is "special" even for the 552s since I can't store the audio settings due to some glitch that I talked with vizio about extensively. I guess it is time to haul the beast back to costco and cross my fingers on the next batch. Anybody have a good recommendation for a nice 55".
post #38 of 57 Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganfx4 View Post

I guess it not video lag then but audio lag. Whatever direction the lip sync adjustment is in it is the opposite. So I need to slow the video down and speed up the audio. I'm not too sure what it is but I can hear the words spoken first and then I can see their lips make the sounds. Sorry for saying it was video lag I just a newbie to these terms. Whatever it is I'm SOL anyway. I am starting to think my set is "special" even for the 552s since I can't store the audio settings due to some glitch that I talked with vizio about extensively. I guess it is time to haul the beast back to costco and cross my fingers on the next batch. Anybody have a good recommendation for a nice 55".

I returned a Vizio 370XVT with an audio problem, as well. When I changed certain HD channels, I'd lose the audio entirely and had to re-select the HDMI input to get it back. I learned to simply toggle the Media button, so it wasn't that big a deal. But we decided a 42" would be nicer. I'm planning to get the new 423XVT TruLED when it arrives on July 1.

So I guess my advice would be to try another Vizio like the one you have. Sounds like you got a defective unit, and this can happen with ANY brand. Remember that this technology is still relatively in its infancy. At least with Vizio, you DO have a lip sync adjustment. I had a Samsung with an occasional lip sync problem, and there wasn't a thing I could do about it. Many people have experienced the same thing, and Samsung is supposed to be upper end.
post #39 of 57 Old 06-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Thought I'd update my experience with lip-sync and again confirm why Vizio's menu adjustment for this is essential.

While waiting for a new Vizio model, I've been temporarily watching a tiny 13" Toshiba CRT connected to my Comcast DVR. Lo and behold! I've had a number of lip-sync issues---therefore, in these cases, it cannot be the TV. This confirms that lip-sync troubles can arise from multiple sources.

The worst source I found (when I had a Samsung B630) was with Blu Ray movies. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it was the fault of the Samsung. What's the real cause of these lip-sync problems? If they can occur on a simple little 13" CRT, then it's a worse mystery than I first thought. Apparently it's a source problem.

And this is all the more reason why Vizio's lip-sync adjustment is essential, and all the more reason to wonder why other manufacturers haven't offered it in their own menus. Haven't enough people complained about this problem yet?!
post #40 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

I'm not trying to bash vizio, they do make decent budget TV's but these days all of the major brands have decent budget TV's

I will easily still recommend them over many other brands like BB store brands and the other crappy walmart brands etc.

Common misconception that more expensive= better.

I posted a thread out here asking what differences were between Vizio xvt472sv and LG47lh90. No replies. Even bumped it. No replies. Know why? Same TV's.

LH90's recommended as a great TV. Vizio dissed.

Why? LG retail sticker was twice the Vizio.

Why do you think Samsung has A $6K price tag on one of it's new releases?

Must be 6 times better than a $1k set...

How much of retail is profit? If the same set is sold by one mfg for 1/2 price of other, who gets more sales? Often it's the higher priced one. Giffen principle at work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giffen_good
post #41 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They are not the same set see the following link:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/21/tai...ts-lcd-tv.html

However. AMTRAN does not make their own LCD panels and apparntly the larger LCD panels from LG.
post #42 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

They are not the same set see the following link:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/21/tai...ts-lcd-tv.html

However. AMTRAN does not make their own LCD panels and apparntly the larger LCD panels from LG.

Quote from article link

"Vizio and Amtran are poised to continue to gain from growth in flat-TV demand because Amtran has expanded capacity at its main production site in Suzhou. It shares space there in a 49-51 joint venture with South Korea's LG Display formed last year"

Same specs with panels from same manufacturing facility. Most intriguing...
post #43 of 57 Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes the panels are the same LG panels but the electronics and many of the fetures are different since they are designed partially by AMTRAN and by Vizio's engineering staff in Irvine. Many user's prefer the LG models since they more and better options for the settings that improve Picture Quality
post #44 of 57 Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes the panels are the same LG panels but the electronics and many of the fetures are different since they are designed partially by AMTRAN and by Vizio's engineering staff in Irvine. Many user's prefer the LG models since they more and better options for the settings that improve Picture Quality

Thanks for the info. Where could I find out which internal pq affecting electronics are different? Menu interfaces aside, this is proving very interesting.
post #45 of 57 Old 06-15-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Since the LG offers many more PQ settings with it't UI it appears to not only have a faster internal processor but also to have more firmware memory available to suport the attitional PQ features which would also enable to perform a better job of de-interlacing 480i or 1080i content but also to do a better job of upscaling 480i/p or 720p content to it's 1080p native resolutons. These extra features therfore require different internal electronic components.
post #46 of 57 Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My 47" Visio has a 5 step adjustment and it has always corrected any problems with lip sync. I admit to not owning a new flat screen every six months, but the picture on my Vizio is outstanding and I'm very satisfied. I would buy Visio again with no hesitation.

As in all things, YMMV.

bob
post #47 of 57 Old 06-15-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since the LG offers many more PQ settings with it't UI it appears to not only have a faster internal processor but also to have more firmware memory available to suport the attitional PQ features which would also enable to perform a better job of de-interlacing 480i or 1080i content but also to do a better job of upscaling 480i/p or 720p content to it's 1080p native resolutons. These extra features therfore require different internal electronic components.

Don't take this as a negative but you determined

1) LG has faster internal processor
2) LG has more firmware memory
3) Better deinterlacing
4) Better upscaling

because "...the LG offers many more PQ settings..."

Seems like a tad of a stretch. Is there any way I can find factual data on these 4?

thx

*edit* I did see a few ms response time faster on the LG. Is that from processor?
post #48 of 57 Old 06-16-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

yes, faster processors have less lag.
More PQ settings options require more firmware memory to both implement and to contain the UI to support them.
And since the have a faster processor and have more firmware memory I assumed that the also provide better scaling and de-interlacing. There are no measuremets of these two functions since there are no standards for measureing them. Each year they get better for all of the manufacturers but certainly do not the capabilities of dedicated hardware scalers and other decicated video processing systems.
post #49 of 57 Old 06-16-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I feel a bit more knowledgeable now knowing that the panels and backlights are same but different electronics which may give LG the preference.

All in all, Vizio still in good company and standing with this model. Would be nice to see them continue upwards and earn the respect of the more discerning viewers. Gives us as consumers one more choice.

Thanks for the conversation.
post #50 of 57 Old 08-06-2010, 12:34 PM

I am having problems getting the right color settings.
Can someone tell me the best settings.. Too many options..

Black pple on my tv have Green and red patches on their face.
White pple have Red and orange patches..

i cant seem to get it right..

The background is awesome..

I like my VIZIO, So Vizio hater dont tell me i should buy sony or samsung.. i already have them too..
post #51 of 57 Old 08-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Keep in mind LG has been having sync issues for years. There are several threads on newer models that have it, and I have a 32LC7D(about 4 years old) that has it as well.

As for having different processors. It all depends on how they make the TVs. More often then not with these budget TVs you will have things like cheaper tuners, bezels and speakers. It makes more sense to buy the decent components in bulk from major manufacturers then to get low grade stuff and continually replace them when they fail.

I don't know how all of these companies work, but I just bought an Emerson 42" plasma because it was cheaper then the bigger names and knew it was just a rebranded samsung(only reason I bought it). After going into the service menu it appears to just be a PN42B430. I can actually change it to a 5 series, or a lower number 4 like any other sansung can. The tuner and everything is reported as the same stuff in my returned LN46B530. The service menu is exactly the same as any recent Samsung TV.

I would always discount 2nd tier brands, but if you do your research beforehand, you may find yourself with a set of equal quality to the bigger brands(which are problematic as well). It's possible Vizio uses the cheapest crap available to sell a TV, but I don't think they are any worse then LG in terms of PQ and reliability.

Haha, sorry for the rant there..
post #52 of 57 Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM

I have a vizio 65" 3d and come to find out that playing movies thru your memory via usb does not make any delays or lip sinc issues,
other than that once playing thru an outside source you will have to adjust the lip sinc, it sucks that for every movie is different setting, but oh well its $1000 cheaper than the lg.
post #53 of 57 Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 PM

And what TV brand would you suggest? It doesn't happen on all shows or all channels, so I am surprised to hear that it is the TV. What brand do you have that doesn't have this issue?
post #54 of 57 Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 AM

I also bought the latest 60inch Vizio just to test it couse of the look and all the goodies it had. I wanted to compare it with My Sony , Panasonic and Samsung that I also bought to test. I've never liked Vizio couse of cheapness anyway. I loved this tv. It was perfect video quality and everything just one main big problem the sound lag!!!! So annoying the tv is perfect but the lag screwed everything up. I actually liked this picture quality better that all my other tested TVs that were over $2gs. What a waste and weird that other and most people don't notice that sound lag!! It was so obvious and made me return it when I actually wanted to keep it. If anyone gets rid of this problem let me know.
post #55 of 57 Old 01-26-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I am thinking of getting the E601i-A3

Could you please tell me the exact model number of the one you bought?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboracing350z View Post

I also bought the latest 60inch Vizio just to test it couse of the look and all the goodies it had. I wanted to compare it with My Sony , Panasonic and Samsung that I also bought to test. I've never liked Vizio couse of cheapness anyway. I loved this tv. It was perfect video quality and everything just one main big problem the sound lag!!!! So annoying the tv is perfect but the lag screwed everything up. I actually liked this picture quality better that all my other tested TVs that were over $2gs. What a waste and weird that other and most people don't notice that sound lag!! It was so obvious and made me return it when I actually wanted to keep it. If anyone gets rid of this problem let me know.
post #56 of 57 Old 06-15-2014, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Vizio M602i-B3 Lip Sync problem?

I just got a Vizio M602i-B3. I have the digital output hooked up to the Vizio 5.1 soundbar. And I have an hdmi from the TV to the PS3. I'm having lip sync issues watching Game of Thrones on the PS3 HBOGO-APP. The lip sync function in the menu doesn't help at all.
post #57 of 57 Old 10-13-2014, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Oh how I wish this would have a fix from Vizio. The M 49" is a perfect fit for me but the lip sync issue kills it. Such a shame.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M470sv 47 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread