Official LG XXLE5400 Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1509 Old 10-28-2010, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still on 6.XX and when i check it says that no new firmware is available. Im in the united states. Not sure why no update is available for me yet. MKVs work fine on 6.XX, should I not upgrade if the 8.XX becomes available? Any must have features in 8.xx?

Go Badgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvda69 View Post

Just got another update come up 8.00.06 I believe. Not sure what is for but I do know it did NOT fix the issue with DLNA and MKV files.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1509 Old 10-28-2010, 03:48 PM

There is a new netflix interface in 8.00.xx which gives you lots more features. But then here is the issue of MKV files not playing correctly on 8.00.xx. All my MKV files played just fine on version 6 now on 8 only about half of them play
post #363 of 1509 Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 PM

it makes me wonder - is LG doing this on purpose

Now almost nothing is playing via DNLA on any of my machines
I have 2 vista boxes with windows media player
and
a linux box with mediatomb

when i was still on 06.xx.xx everything played fine!!

now 2 out of hundreds - not happy!!

On a lighter note, the tech that is scheduled to come out on Monday called me today to get a run down of my issue which had been described t him by customer support as "not able to play a few files" - I gave him the full rundown including everyones observations from here!! he will be bringing a new motherboard and all of the firmwares - and he is hesitant to go to far in updating after 06.xx :-)

we shall see and i will post asap
post #364 of 1509 Old 10-29-2010, 05:14 AM

Dear all,
Yesterday I got the update for 8.00.06 from 8.00.05 when spoke to lg support on chat said the update was for netflix sound effect & playback player was suprised with this silly answer but FYI I have windows 7 with media server enabled which works only with dlna only with wmv file format, LG support team is too slow on giving option on this model we all should contact LG for having more apps on netcast such as cineama now facebook ,skypr etc'......,
post #365 of 1509 Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM972 View Post

Dear all,
Yesterday I got the update for 8.00.06 from 8.00.05 when spoke to lg support on chat said the update was for netflix sound effect & playback player was suprised with this silly answer but FYI I have windows 7 with media server enabled which works only with dlna only with wmv file format, LG support team is too slow on giving option on this model we all should contact LG for having more apps on netcast such as cineama now facebook ,skypr etc'......,

Sam, hate to be picky but ur post was hard to read. An occasional period would have helped.

Dan
Satisfied U-verse and DirecTV customer
post #366 of 1509 Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuquel View Post

On a lighter note, the tech that is scheduled to come out on Monday called me today to get a run down of my issue which had been described t him by customer support as "not able to play a few files" - I gave him the full rundown including everyones observations from here!! he will be bringing a new motherboard and all of the firmwares - and he is hesitant to go to far in updating after 06.xx :-)

we shall see and i will post asap

Good luck for Monday, Chuquel.
post #367 of 1509 Old 10-30-2010, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For some reason my tv is not findin the new 8.00.06 update. Im on 8.00.05. I've clicked find update i dont know how many times.
post #368 of 1509 Old 10-30-2010, 10:55 AM

hi,

i have a 42LE5400. I am able to play mkv from usb and from twonky that is running on a NAS. However, i am able to choose between different audio tracks (e.g. english, german) for a movie, when it is playing through USB, but this is not possible, when i play the same file through dlna. Has anybody experienced the same thing?

Firmware is still 6.0.0.4
post #369 of 1509 Old 10-30-2010, 03:31 PM

Liked: 11
I have the LG 42LE5400, and I haven't updated to 8.00.06. Does anyone know how to force the tv to search for an update?

-I am not Neo, But I am still the One.
post #370 of 1509 Old 10-30-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post

I have the LG 42LE5400, and I haven't updated to 8.00.06. Does anyone know how to force the tv to search for an update?

Page 72 of your owners manual, hit the Menu button then the Red button on your remote, select Software Update, turn Software Update to On, you'll then see Check Update Version , highlight then select Check Update Version.
post #371 of 1509 Old 10-30-2010, 09:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttundraman View Post

Page 72 of your owners manual, hit the Menu button then the Red button on your remote, select Software Update, turn Software Update to On, you'll then see Check Update Version , highlight then select Check Update Version.

Thanks, I misplaced the manual, and the website was down today. Still on 08.00.05

-I am not Neo, But I am still the One.
post #372 of 1509 Old 10-31-2010, 12:58 PM

Still on 8.00.05. Tv cant find the new update.
post #373 of 1509 Old 10-31-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post

Still on 8.00.05. Tv cant find the new update.

Going thru Menu as suggested above didn't work for me. Just starting Netcast did result in a firmware update prompt, however.

Dan
Satisfied U-verse and DirecTV customer
post #374 of 1509 Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 PM

I feel like its xmas eve and snata (the lg tech) will be coming down the chimney and give me my file playing ability back!!!

so i spent a few hours messing with my configurations on my pc's. i also on a whim tried some files via usb - well they worked prefect - so it really is the dlna that is messed up. i have a ubuntu box running mediatomb - tried messing with that config and still no luck. tried ushare and minidnla - had same/similar issues. I then went to my son's pc (windows vista using wmp) and there are a few more files that play but again not tall. tried converting a few no luck.

I hope tomorrow brings me functionality - and then LG fixes whatever they broke!!!!!

sorry to rant
post #375 of 1509 Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 AM

So I just got off of LG chat saying my tv wont find 8.00.06 & she told me to unplug the tv for 30 seconds so I ended up unplugging it twice & it's still not finding the update. I've had my tv for almost 2 months & it's had no probs updating the software until now.
post #376 of 1509 Old 11-01-2010, 03:14 PM

update!

The field tech (Herman, who was awesome - chatted about computers for a while and i think he is going to give Linux (ubuntu) a chance :-)) got here around 11am. unfortunately the replacement main board had not yet arrived :-(. he did some reseting including reseting all of my presets and video setups - no problem. he then got on the phone with tech support and that tech and i ended up having a bit of a pissing match via my techs cell phone (sorry man) over what file formats i was using - i mean who really caress what the container is , avi, wmv, mpg, when the file is actually mpeg2/dd or h.264/mp3 right!! then the tech on the phone finally admitted (after asking about mkv files which i have none) that this is a KNOWN ISSUE and that A FIX is COMING SOON, days weeks soon??? my tech and i chatted a little while longer and he said that when the board shows up at his shop he will hold it for me and i told him i would keep him informed of any progress that is made on the issue.

around 2:35pm, Austin from tech support called me and said he wanted to follow up on my issue for hardware support and asked if i was still having trouble playing mkv files ?!?! at this point i explained all of my issues and all of my, customer supports and the field techs trouble shooting including the fact that the files work fine via usb - at which point Austin stopped me and confirmed that the usb works and said that hardware support appreciated all of my work and that they will be fixing this asap. I volunteered to be a tester if they needed to send me the beta/updated firmware and he said he would let them know :-|

so i am now waiting patiently for the update - will post again oif anything changes.

Chuck
post #377 of 1509 Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the update chuck!

So do you think replacing the mainboard is going to do any good? Or do you think there will be another update one day which will fix the issue?
post #378 of 1509 Old 11-01-2010, 04:23 PM

its a firmware thing ( i am 99% sure) they admitted to me that they are working the issue from the perspective that the dlna is corrupted - the main board replacement would have only given me functionality for the while - not a permanent solution :-)
post #379 of 1509 Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 AM

I just got off the phone with LG support & the lady I talked to was sayin the only update that came out recently was for the plasma models & not the LE5400 models. I told her about this website & told her that there's people with this model that upgraded to 8.00.06. That still didnt solve my problem as to why Im not gettin the new update. When I upgraded to 8.00.05 it downloaded kinda funny. It kept stalling & I would have to start it back up to finish downloading so I hope that didnt make something inside go crazy.
post #380 of 1509 Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 AM

How much, if any clouding do you guys see during real dark scenes? I have a couple areas on the top and bottom of my screen that are brighter than others. I have already returned one set and don't know if this is normal or not.
post #381 of 1509 Old 11-03-2010, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So I really want to pull the trigger on this t.v. , but it's impossible to find it in Canada . Newegg has it dirt cheap, but they won't ship here, and I don't think any other place will either.

Any other Canucks purchase this?
post #382 of 1509 Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsnasty View Post

So I really want to pull the trigger on this t.v. , but it's impossible to find it in Canada . Newegg has it dirt cheap, but they won't ship here, and I don't think any other place will either.

Check Bestbuy.ca
post #383 of 1509 Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubakon View Post

How much, if any clouding do you guys see during real dark scenes? I have a couple areas on the top and bottom of my screen that are brighter than others. I have already returned one set and don't know if this is normal or not.

Did you check your product code to verify you have an IPS panel and not a VA one??

You *want* an IPS panel for this set-- the product code should be AUSWxxxx, if I recall.
post #384 of 1509 Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 AM

I did check the # on both sets and they have both been IPS panel sets. The picture during bright scenes is amazing but watching movies in the dark is really distracting.
post #385 of 1509 Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 AM

I read on another post that massaging the screen will relieve some of the clouding. Have any of you guys tried this?
post #386 of 1509 Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubakon View Post

I did check the # on both sets and they have both been IPS panel sets. The picture during bright scenes is amazing but watching movies in the dark is really distracting.

Try turning the backlight level down. That really helped, but did not eliminate the issue on my 47".
post #387 of 1509 Old 11-04-2010, 02:11 PM

Anyone got any good calibrations for video games? PS3 and/or xbox360 using HDMI in a dark room?
post #388 of 1509 Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsnasty View Post

Depends which size you are looking for. Did you check at Sears?
post #389 of 1509 Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 AM

I picked up the LE5400 last night and I am very impressed. I mainly wanted a gaming TV and had other specific requests (headphone jack, able to play .wmv files etc.).

I originally wanted to save some money, so i picked up the Sony KDL-ex500..which ended up being a disaster. The lag was horrible for gaming..it could only play Mpeg-2 files. In game mode the PQ was very poor. I was mislead by the associate that there was a headphone jack..and was thoroughly disappointed when I found out there wasn't.

So I returned that piece of garbage. On a side note, when I went back into BB after days of research on this forum I can say I know a heck of a lot more about what to look for in a TV. Originally I was thinking about a Sharp..but we only carry the LED's up here in Canada and they were way over my budget. I also heard there were motion flow issues and once again, didn't have a headphone jack. Finally I discovered the LE5400 and it fitted every category I wanted.

So I spent the extra 400 and got the LE5400. I find lag is a non-issue for me, even when I'm not in game mode etc. I was a bit worried based on the massive 'input lag' thread that I would never find a TV that would be satisfactory for gaming. But coming from a guy who's been playing FPS' for 10 years (and considers himself to be very good), the LE5400 is fantastic. The PQ is perfect in my opinion. I'm not a huge TV expert, so the other minor things that may be large annoyances to some people really don't bother me.

Someone mentioned flickering issues with their PS3 and the LE5400; I haven't found those problems at all. Blu-ray's look fantastic and with trumotion on and the picture setting on 'vivid', it almost seems a little TOO lifelike. I watched Inglorious Bastards and couldn't believe how real some of the scenes looked. I still need to calibrate the settings so there's some work to do.

Lastly, I gotta say I appreciate this forum so much! I learned everything from input lag down to how to check and make sure you have an IPS panel (which I did in the store).

Black Ops awaits!
post #390 of 1509 Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Has anyone heard of any more developments on getting Netflix enabled in Canada on this set? Last I heard, LG was saying that it was a hardware issue and will never happen (a total crock, of course)...

I am wondering if I should get one of those "special" factory remotes to access the special configuration menu and set my TV to a US version. Anyone know where to buy one of those remotes?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page