Official LG XXLE5400 Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1509 Old 11-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I felt the same way about the IPS panel, only I didn't discover the product code/serial number ID until after the date for returning the set had passed. I have consoled myself with the fact that I probably have deeper black levels and rarely sit anywhere but directly in front of the set anyway.

What bugs me more is the earlier post about optical audio out not passing surround sound from HDMI sources. Having to get a technician out to change a menu setting that's unavailable to users to fix that is ridiculous. I haven't hooked up my 5.1 yet, but apparently, when I do, it isn't going to work. (My receiver has no HDMI input.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1509 Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa View Post

Need some advice. Apparently LG is no longer making the IPS panel for the 42" 5400, I just bought the 5400 at HHGregg and they had no IPS panels. Also went to a second HHGregg and they had no IPS panels either.

The product of the one I just bought is AUSDLUR. They said the 47" had the W in the code but 47 is too big for my room.

Should I keep the 42" non-IPS or still look around? I got a pretty good deal that comes with a blu ray player and wireless USB.

I'm so anal about this I really wanted the IPS panel.

Where did you get this info about the IPS panels no longer being made for the 42" 5400? I just bought one at BB with the xbox deal and I got a VA panel. Been trying to contact BB to exchange it, but they are all sold out of the TV VA panel or not at the moment. Would really like to know whether I should even bother looking for an IPS (probably won't exchange the TV due to the deal unless it had something really wrong with it). Thanks
post #453 of 1509 Old 11-16-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumnewbie View Post

Does anyone know if aftermarket wireless dongles (linksys, netgear, belkin, etc) will work with the LE5400?

Has anyone tried an aftermarket USB dongle or wireless access point? I realize Amazon has a sale on the LG AN-WF100 but i need to connect another component to my WIFI so i would rather purchase a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router and convert it to be a wireless access point and connect both my units rather than purchase two separate WIFI dongles.
post #454 of 1509 Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulaker9 View Post

Where did you get this info about the IPS panels no longer being made for the 42" 5400? I just bought one at BB with the xbox deal and I got a VA panel. Been trying to contact BB to exchange it, but they are all sold out of the TV VA panel or not at the moment. Would really like to know whether I should even bother looking for an IPS (probably won't exchange the TV due to the deal unless it had something really wrong with it). Thanks

I just made it up.

Seriously though I thought between 2 HHGregg stores at least one would have the IPS panel. They said I should call them back on Thursday to see if they got any different ones in. It just really frustrates me knowing that I don't have the "better" of the two panels. It will bug me forever.
post #455 of 1509 Old 11-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkling View Post

What bugs me more is the earlier post about optical audio out not passing surround sound from HDMI sources. Having to get a technician out to change a menu setting that's unavailable to users to fix that is ridiculous. I haven't hooked up my 5.1 yet, but apparently, when I do, it isn't going to work. (My receiver has no HDMI input.)

Although I haven't read the whole thread, I'm 99% sure that you can only output 2.1 sound from an HDMI source when using Toslink. It has nothing to do with the TV or brand. Use component and Toslink until you get a new receiver.
post #456 of 1509 Old 11-17-2010, 11:39 PM

Anyone ever had the problem where the update stop downloading about half way through then prompt you to Check update version, only to start the process all over again? I haven't been able to update from 6 going to 8 for about 2 weeks.

Also, is there a place to download the firmware to a USB drive then load it up?
post #457 of 1509 Old 11-18-2010, 05:09 AM

Slight issue with my 32LE5400. Plugged my external HD into the LE5400 (just to see if it would recognize it) via USB and now it is stuck even when using a considerable amount of force. Yes i inserted the USB plug correctly.

*edit* Just got off the phone with LG support. The man i spoke to was a complete jackass. Got the local repair guy coming in a couple days.
post #458 of 1509 Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 AM

I had the same problem. I just kept on applying pressure and moving it back and forth and now it can be used.
post #459 of 1509 Old 11-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Does anyone know how to force Youtube to play in HD? It seems to play only in 480p. I have 12Mb/s connection.
post #460 of 1509 Old 11-19-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumnewbie
Does anyone know how to force Youtube to play in HD? It seems to play only in 480p. I have 12Mb/s connection.
I would also like to know this.
post #461 of 1509 Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 AM

I have an LG 32LE5300 and I was wondering one how do I turn off overscan? Using it as a computer monitor and the picture is not too sharp. Also how do I enter the service menu? Thanks!
post #462 of 1509 Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 AM

In the menu you can change your picture mode to Just Scan to disable overscan.
post #463 of 1509 Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest2010 View Post
yes, i've had my 32le5400 for about a week. i can hear high pitch noise similar to this one youtube.com/watch?v=BX7Ar3Z-oTo
i get it with volume on or muted. it disappears when i turn the speakers off. don't have anything else plugged into the tv or outlet. can't explain the noise, maybe internal interference? I don't go crazy with the sound, not into home theater systems, not hooking up external speakers. I had a Sony nx700 and never had this problem.
I am using the logitech z-5500 speakers and have the speakers on the TV turned off.
post #464 of 1509 Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post
I have a strange problem with my 32LE5400. I have my PC connected to HDMI 1 through a HDMI to DVI cable. When I am using it on the PC and then change to another HDMI input my PC's speakers make a constant "hardware disconnect" and "new hardware connect" over and over again with about 2 seconds in between each sound. The sounds are similar to when you plug in and remove a USB device. If I change the input back to HDMI 1 and then change it back to the other HDMI input again it clears the problem.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Nobody has noticed the "hardware connect", "hardware disconnect" sounds on a PC constantly playing over and over when switching the TV to another input?
post #465 of 1509 Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 AM

Planning to get the 47 or 55inch version at Best buy on black friday...are the LG overall better on LED over Samsung and Sharp? I know Samsung are a little bit more expensive while the sharp the cheapest of the two?
post #466 of 1509 Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

In the menu you can change your picture mode to Just Scan to disable overscan.

Thanks for the info! On the 32LE5300 I read about an HDMI PC mode. How do I enable that?
post #467 of 1509 Old 11-19-2010, 04:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrglass View Post

LG AN-WF100 Wi-Fi USB Adaptor 39 bux on Amazon right now

Yep, that's where I got mine from. Great deal.

-I am not Neo, But I am still the One.
post #468 of 1509 Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Huh. $41.68 for me. Silly amazon. But still a great deal. I picked one up.

Too bad... When I remodeled our family room, I ran two cat5 cables there, thinking I'd need one for my HTPC, and one for a spare. That was before I got rid of my tv-guide-DVR-television, and got a new TV and a Tivo instead. So... yeah, the Tivo needs an ethernet connection, leaving my 47LE5400 without a connection. (Far too late to add any more wires, there's no access to the hole to the basement anymore).

So, 40 bucks as a penalty for being too stupid to run 4 cat5 cables instead of 2. Oh well :-)

For the most part... I use the tivo, but I still want the netcast access - especially since (maybe) it will improve with future updates?
post #469 of 1509 Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 PM

So, I finally started to experiment with DLNA - but I didn't get very far :-(

I installed the Nero mediaHome that came with the TV.. did the updates... set folder(s) to share... so far, so good.

Went to the TV... fired up the Media function... saw my MediaHome server listed... but then... I can never get a connection. I just get a gray box on the TV with 'Loading.....' and then it times out after a huge wait.

Meanwhile, back at my computer, MediaHome's display of devices seems to sometimes show my tv, other times... not.

Is the mediahome essentials junk? Is there a better (hopefully free) DLNA server that works well with the LG tv? (Tversity, or...?) that I should be using instead?

I find the Nero thing puzzling.... In an earlier experiment, I had the LG tv see my DLNA server (SAME computer, but using only windows media center and nothing else)-- and the connection was right there.

Looking for DNLA recommendations and maybe some comment on my nero issue? thanks folks.
post #470 of 1509 Old 11-20-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybea View Post

Huh. $41.68 for me. Silly amazon. But still a great deal. I picked one up.

Too bad... When I remodeled our family room, I ran two cat5 cables there, thinking I'd need one for my HTPC, and one for a spare. That was before I got rid of my tv-guide-DVR-television, and got a new TV and a Tivo instead. So... yeah, the Tivo needs an ethernet connection, leaving my 47LE5400 without a connection. (Far too late to add any more wires, there's no access to the hole to the basement anymore).

So, 40 bucks as a penalty for being too stupid to run 4 cat5 cables instead of 2. Oh well :-)

For the most part... I use the tivo, but I still want the netcast access - especially since (maybe) it will improve with future updates?

I've used wireless for various video appliances, xbox 360 for example, and found their performance lacking for HD. I wouldn't have hesitated to use an ethernet/network switch in your situation, effectively adding three Ethernet ports at that location. If you're unhappy with your setup, consider that alternative at 29 bucks.

Dan
Satisfied U-verse and DirecTV customer
post #471 of 1509 Old 11-20-2010, 09:18 AM

Oh, I know a switch would be fine; I just don't want MORE wires, and ANOTHER power brick back there... :-) I won't be using the lg media very much-- only rarely.
post #472 of 1509 Old 11-20-2010, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Brought the LG 42LE5400 home and just turned it on. Upgraded to firmware 8.0.0.11 without a hastle. Problem......TERRIBLE flashlighting being experienced. The flashlighting in the upper and lower left hand corners is so bad that 1/4 of the entire overall left side of the screen is suffering from the flashlighting effect. The flashlighting is so prevalent that even during lighter scenes I can notice it. I am also experiencing flashlighting in the lower right hand corner that is tollerable. I have a VA panel and after going to 4 different Best Buys and not finding an IPS panel (one associate told me, they probably don't make the IPS panel anymore because their entire last shipment was VA panels) I am at a loss for what to do. Is this flashlighting effect a crapshoot from TV to TV? Should I take this TV back and get another of the same VA models? Is this flashlighting effect an IPS Vs VA panel situation? Is this flashlighting effect prevalent on all LED TVs? (this is my first LED). I don't know what to do, try my luck with another VA panel? Try my luck with another brand LED? Or go ahead and get a LCD or Plasma set? Your help as always is appreciated.
post #473 of 1509 Old 11-20-2010, 02:07 PM

I posted in here a while ago about problems playing long MP4 files over DLNA. The movie would play without audio for any file containing AAC audio and having a running time greater than 90 minutes.

Just wanted to note that with recent updates that problem has been fixed. Several others remain, of course, but none that will totally kill the experience like that one.
post #474 of 1509 Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybea View Post

Oh, I know a switch would be fine; I just don't want MORE wires, and ANOTHER power brick back there... :-) I won't be using the lg media very much-- only rarely.

What's a couple more wires when you already have 42? LOL

Dan
Satisfied U-verse and DirecTV customer
post #475 of 1509 Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Problem......TERRIBLE flashlighting being experienced. The flashlighting in the upper and lower left hand corners is so bad that 1/4 of the entire overall left side of the screen is suffering from the flashlighting effect. The flashlighting is so prevalent that even during lighter scenes I can notice it. I am also experiencing flashlighting in the lower right hand corner that is tollerable. I have a VA panel and after going to 4 different Best Buys and not finding an IPS panel (one associate told me, they probably don't make the IPS panel anymore because their entire last shipment was VA panels) I am at a loss for what to do. Is this flashlighting effect a crapshoot from TV to TV? Should I take this TV back and get another of the same VA models? Is this flashlighting effect an IPS Vs VA panel situation? Is this flashlighting effect prevalent on all LED TVs? (this is my first LED). I don't know what to do, try my luck with another VA panel? Try my luck with another brand LED? Or go ahead and get a LCD or Plasma set? Your help as always is appreciated.

From my experience of testing a VA panel and then returning it for an IPS panel, the VA panel had flashlighting which was as bad as the Sammy UN34C6500. The IPS 32LE5400 I have now does not experience this except a small amount in 2 areas (only barely noticeable in the dark).
post #476 of 1509 Old 11-21-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Brought the LG 42LE5400 home and just turned it on. Upgraded to firmware 8.0.0.11 without a hastle. Problem......TERRIBLE flashlighting being experienced. The flashlighting in the upper and lower left hand corners is so bad that 1/4 of the entire overall left side of the screen is suffering from the flashlighting effect. The flashlighting is so prevalent that even during lighter scenes I can notice it. I am also experiencing flashlighting in the lower right hand corner that is tollerable. I have a VA panel and after going to 4 different Best Buys and not finding an IPS panel (one associate told me, they probably don't make the IPS panel anymore because their entire last shipment was VA panels) I am at a loss for what to do. Is this flashlighting effect a crapshoot from TV to TV? Should I take this TV back and get another of the same VA models? Is this flashlighting effect an IPS Vs VA panel situation? Is this flashlighting effect prevalent on all LED TVs? (this is my first LED). I don't know what to do, try my luck with another VA panel? Try my luck with another brand LED? Or go ahead and get a LCD or Plasma set? Your help as always is appreciated.

Take it back and exchange it for another. I got a 42LE5400 about a week ago and have no flashlighting. My only minor complaint with VA is off angle color deterioration.
post #477 of 1509 Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does Real Cinema only work when the signal is 1080i/p? I noticed it's greyed out when it's a 720p or 480p signal.
post #478 of 1509 Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 AM

Hello everyone. I just got a 42LE5400, but will most likely be returing it. I was not aware of how bad the off angle viewing is. Also there seems to be a few areas where the brightness of the set is not uniform at all. The set was very inexpensive from an online website I used. I was almost suspicious because the price seemed to good to be true. I am now reading on this thread that there are two different panel makers? So, you can get a better type of panel by chance, with better viewing angles? Thats a headache I am not willing to deal with.

Good forum though!
post #479 of 1509 Old 11-22-2010, 03:14 PM

One of the selling points for this TV for my wife is the photo slideshow via the USB. We are thinking of using this as a giant LED digital picture frame, when we aren't using it for video. I have some questions I haven't been able to figure out.

1) can you adjust the picture settings (backlight, contrast, etc) for the USB or will the auto dimming/adjustment work on that?
2) what are the speeds for the slideshows; I notice it has different speeds but no mention o if these are 10sec or 50sec?
3) It appears to have a "full screen" option to get rid of black bars on photos that aren't cropped 16:9, but it seemed to be grayed out on the store model I was playing with. Does this work? How well does this function crop/resize/zoom?

Thanks for any info on this.
post #480 of 1509 Old 11-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Does anyone know, am I going to playing panel lottery if I buy the 47" model?
Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page