Official LG XXLE5400 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1509 Old 12-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Codename_Falcon.....that picture I took was on the standard pre-set mode.....not on Vivid......Vivid is too bright, unless I am watching Avatar, Alice In Wonderland, or one of those colorful movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1509 Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulaker9 View Post

Codename_Falcon.....that picture I took was on the standard pre-set mode.....not on Vivid......Vivid is too bright, unless I am watching Avatar, Alice In Wonderland, or one of those colorful movies.

Hell yeah, that's what the LED tv is for. These movies are mad beautiful in that 32LE5400.

I like to say something. My local best buy 32LE5400 demo has ISP display. Also, I notice the ceiling light in best buy is too bright. That is why you can't see the flashlighting.
post #543 of 1509 Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I did a lot of evaluating between the LG and Samsung models and decided to pull the trigger and today ordered the LG 47LE5400. This new panel will replace my Sharp LC42D64U (2 years old) which has been an overall good performing panel, but with a few known issues related to banding. While mine has it, its very subtle.

In any event, onto the next.... I will be using the same universal wall mount (Monoprice 3900) to mount the LG. I am curious if anyone has used a universal mount with this panel, and if so, did you find that you required spacers in combination with the mounting bolts or entirely diffrent bolts to secure the panel to the mounting arms? The wallmount I have aligns with VESA std and I would expect that LG's mounting locations do as well.

The reason I ask this question is my sister-in-law purchased a Sammy 46" LED last year and she ordered a Monoprice universal mount. However, the panel is so thin, (about the same as the LG) she had to get spacers to ensure that the arms were snug to the panel. Due to the depth (lack there of), the bolts only traveled into the threads on the back of the panel a little bit - this of course due to the thin nature of the panel which dictated a shallower thread in the back of the set.

Thanks.

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Samsung Blue-ray BD-P3600

Logitech Harmony Smart Control

Panamax M5100-PM

post #544 of 1509 Old 12-01-2010, 07:41 PM

My LE5400 TV automagically updated to 08.02.08. Now all button pushes take 3+ seconds to respond. LG symbol on front now stays on even though TV power is off (plugged in obviously). On hold with LG support right now. First comment was "ummm...there have been no updates released for that TV..." OMFG! Do you really think I have nothing better to do than call LG on a weeknight at 930pm to make up a story about upgrading. After that little bit of persuasion, now he's looking into whether there is a way to "downgrade" the software. Almost wondering if someone here will know more than him.

Is there an 'easy' way to downgrade? I really hate flashing off a USB and all that. Or is there a way to go back to factory settings at least?

EDIT: LG's response was that this was the 3rd TV this week with the problem, and they've now escalated to engineers. Hopefully know something by Friday.
post #545 of 1509 Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield17 View Post

My LE5400 TV automagically updated to 08.02.08. Now all button pushes take 3+ seconds to respond. LG symbol on front now stays on even though TV power is off (plugged in obviously). On hold with LG support right now. First comment was "ummm...there have been no updates released for that TV..." OMFG! Do you really think I have nothing better to do than call LG on a weeknight at 930pm to make up a story about upgrading. After that little bit of persuasion, now he's looking into whether there is a way to "downgrade" the software. Almost wondering if someone here will know more than him.

Is there an 'easy' way to downgrade? I really hate flashing off a USB and all that. Or is there a way to go back to factory settings at least?

EDIT: LG's response was that this was the 3rd TV this week with the problem, and they've now escalated to engineers. Hopefully know something by Friday.

I'm new here but I wanted to make a response to this post.

I updated to 08.02.08 this morning but I haven't noticed any issues. They added cinemanow and mlb.tv to the netcast UI (*yawn*, I want Hulu and pandora please).

I have been having an issue on my 32LE5400 where I can't see or auto program my HD channels from the cable company but my other HD tvs can program them just fine. Is there any solution to that? I was able to program the HD channels before, but I had to do a factory reset recently because the picture was messing up every once in a while to a loose hdmi cable or some bug in the tv firmware.
post #546 of 1509 Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4 View Post

tt

You have to look at the box for yourself. Frankly, there were boxes at front of the 32LE5400 demonstration. I've checked my couple local Best Buy stores and they still put the boxes on the floor, so your Best Buy may do that too.

All you have to do is to find "W" letter in one of the serial numbers or codes. Search this forum for Lottery 32LE5400 and you'll see the pictures of the serial number location. Avoid the one with "D."

They couldn't tell you which one is W, but they can generally tell you how many are left.

Thanks for telling me about those pictures in the "lottery" thread. The last time I checked, they weren't there. I e-mailed them to my parents. Unfortunately, Best Buy was out of stock, but the girl told them she'd get a "W" panel. We'll see.

I hope I made the right decision in telling them to get this TV. Manufacturers don't have any local dimming sets in 32", so it's tough to pick a good one in this size. The only reviews on this set complain about the black levels being inferior to Samsung and Sony, and I really don't know what to expect.
post #547 of 1509 Old 12-01-2010, 09:29 PM

I will admit that the LG black levels for the 5400s are not very good, but the colors on this set look great. Avatar looks amazing on the set with very nice vibrant color. So if blacks are important to you, I would suggest going elsewhere.
post #548 of 1509 Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

Thanks for telling me about those pictures in the "lottery" thread. The last time I checked, they weren't there. I e-mailed them to my parents. Unfortunately, Best Buy was out of stock, but the girl told them she'd get a "W" panel. We'll see.

I hope I made the right decision in telling them to get this TV. Manufacturers don't have any local dimming sets in 32", so it's tough to pick a good one in this size. The only reviews on this set complain about the black levels being inferior to Samsung and Sony, and I really don't know what to expect.

Last night, I blindbought a Ninja Assassin Blu Ray from Best Buy (on sale for $12, but I still suggest to get one from Amazon for $9.99). This movie is obviously very dark with lot of blood mixing with shadow. The picture is still very nice enough to see the detail in black and how the blood comes from. I wouldn't recommend this movie if you have a kid around you. (The best comparison: this is the bloody Rambo version of Kill Bill.)

I still think the Dark Knight Return is the better option to test for anyone who isn't into a bloody movie.
post #549 of 1509 Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulaker9 View Post

I will admit that the LG black levels for the 5400s are not very good, but the colors on this set look great. Avatar looks amazing on the set with very nice vibrant color. So if blacks are important to you, I would suggest going elsewhere.

Yeah, that was you with bad IPS model. Right? I watched the bloody dark Ninja Assassin and black is very rich with detail. I don't even see any washed out black or something like that.
post #550 of 1509 Old 12-02-2010, 03:45 AM

Just wanted to add my $.02. I just bought a 42LE5400 about a month ago. Near as I can tell, it is not an IPS panel (D in the product code, rectangular pixels). But guess what- the horizontal viewing angle is almost 180 degrees with no change in contrast or color. The blacks are pretty decent (I used the picture wizard, and also set a few other "expert" adjustments), yet I do have what I would call significant flashlighting in all four corners. But- the flashlighting is not visible when there is actual content on the screen. It can only be seen when there is no signal. For our use (no games, so lag is not an issue), the screen is fantastic. In fact, my only complaints are pretty much what others have mentioned:

1. Sound quality is pretty wretched.
2. Sound adjustments do almost nothing except maybe make the sound worse (except for Clear Voice set at 1, which isn't too bad)
3. No audio line out.
4. Headphone out is way too low.
5. Lip synch problems on some channels at some times. (So far, my observation is that it occurs during time-compressed shows, such as reruns of "Two and a Half Men") BTW- adjusting my Comcast box to audio pass-through instead of auto (which usually picks PCM) helps tremendously.
6. I wish the firmware updates didn't zero out the clock.
7. Not thrilled with horizontal blurring during panning shots, even with changing the blur/judder settings all around, but I have yet to see an LCD that handles this well.

Overall, the picture blows away our other TV (Toshiba 32" LCD (CFL))

The only screens that looked better in the store (HH Gregg) were on very expensive models (about twice the price).

And, hey, is there any place to find out what any particular soft/firmware upgrade does? I just got the 8.08(?) with the MLB/Cinema/Coming Soon, but what else did it do?
post #551 of 1509 Old 12-02-2010, 05:35 AM

I have a 42LE5400, IPS Panel and I'm experiencing the same lip sync issues with Comcast. It only happens on some channels but not all the time. I will have to try switching the audio settings on the cable box, hopefully it works for me as well.
post #552 of 1509 Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 AM

Wouldn't you mind to post the picture setting after you configured the Expert setting though the Picture Wizard? I still like to see how the picture looks that you're speaking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlyn View Post

Just wanted to add my $.02. I just bought a 42LE5400 about a month ago. Near as I can tell, it is not an IPS panel (D in the product code, rectangular pixels). But guess what- the horizontal viewing angle is almost 180 degrees with no change in contrast or color. The blacks are pretty decent (I used the picture wizard, and also set a few other "expert" adjustments), yet I do have what I would call significant flashlighting in all four corners. But- the flashlighting is not visible when there is actual content on the screen. It can only be seen when there is no signal. For our use (no games, so lag is not an issue), the screen is fantastic. In fact, my only complaints are pretty much what others have mentioned:

1. Sound quality is pretty wretched.
2. Sound adjustments do almost nothing except maybe make the sound worse (except for Clear Voice set at 1, which isn't too bad)
3. No audio line out.
4. Headphone out is way too low.
5. Lip synch problems on some channels at some times. (So far, my observation is that it occurs during time-compressed shows, such as reruns of "Two and a Half Men") BTW- adjusting my Comcast box to audio pass-through instead of auto (which usually picks PCM) helps tremendously.
6. I wish the firmware updates didn't zero out the clock.
7. Not thrilled with horizontal blurring during panning shots, even with changing the blur/judder settings all around, but I have yet to see an LCD that handles this well.

Overall, the picture blows away our other TV (Toshiba 32" LCD (CFL))

The only screens that looked better in the store (HH Gregg) were on very expensive models (about twice the price).

And, hey, is there any place to find out what any particular soft/firmware upgrade does? I just got the 8.08(?) with the MLB/Cinema/Coming Soon, but what else did it do?

post #553 of 1509 Old 12-02-2010, 08:32 PM

So I returned my set back to BB today and came back quite pleased. Talking to the "expert" on hand, he was trying to convince me that flashlighting isn't a defect and instead wanted to pitch me on a backlit TV. I told him I knew about the fact that all edge-lit LEDs TV have flashlighting, but that I still wasn't happy with the amount I was experiencing on the set I purchased. After showing him a picture of the flashlighting on my TV, he reluctantly agreed to swap me out another set. I told him I wanted an IPS panel with a "W" in the model number and he comes back telling me that they only have 2 left and they are both the D model VA panel TVs (one being an open box). Already having carried in my previous set I tell him i'll take the last unopened box TV they have left.

After bringing it home and firing it up, I was extremely pleased to see that there was very minimal flashlighting and its downright unnoticeable! The viewing angle is also much better on this set, than the set I returned. The colors wash out at extreme angles that would never be used for viewing.

After my experiences, this is what I recommend for potential buyers....Before you purchase this model, make sure you can get an IPS panel. If for whatever reason you get a VA panel, inspect the picture and if it's not to your liking, take it back. Unfortunately there is not only a lottery between receiving an IPS panel or a VA panel, but there is also a lottery as to whether you get a "good" or "bad" VA panel.

When you get a good set, this model of TV has great picture. I even enjoyed the picture of the set I returned minus the flashlighting. Just be persistent, if it doesn't look good to you, return it and try again.
post #554 of 1509 Old 12-02-2010, 09:15 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:

Last night, I blindbought a Ninja Assassin Blu Ray from Best Buy (on sale for $12, but I still suggest to get one from Amazon for $9.99). This movie is obviously very dark with lot of blood mixing with shadow. The picture is still very nice enough to see the detail in black and how the blood comes from. I wouldn't recommend this movie if you have a kid around you. (The best comparison: this is the bloody Rambo version of Kill Bill.)

I still think the Dark Knight Return is the better option to test for anyone who isn't into a bloody movie.

That's good to know, thanks. It's supposed to be back in stock on the 9th.
post #555 of 1509 Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 AM

I'll try to take some pictures this weekend. BTW, I was wrong about the flashlighting- if I have the LEDs turned up high, it can be seen in very dark scenes, or if there is a black frame around the image. Set them back to about 66, and it's barely noticeable. But it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. I don't want to pay for a full back-lit LED, and I like the slimness of the edge-lit models
post #556 of 1509 Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlyn View Post

I'll try to take some pictures this weekend. BTW, I was wrong about the flashlighting- if I have the LEDs turned up high, it can be seen in very dark scenes, or if there is a black frame around the image. Set them back to about 66, and it's barely noticeable. But it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. I don't want to pay for a full back-lit LED, and I like the slimness of the edge-lit models

Yeah, that product is still the top of the line quality. I also have the Samsung 42" LCD B550 model in the house, and I still think my 32" LG LED is superior in everything to that Samsung. I still can't believe I paid $600 for it. lol
post #557 of 1509 Old 12-03-2010, 03:44 PM

Picked up a 32LE5400 from local BB. Also ordered LG wifi adapter and Harmony 300 from the big "A".

Setup was easy. Connected to my home network and downloaded/installed the latest firmware (8.02.08). Have the 8 Netcast apps with the coming soon. I think that will become hulu+ in the coming months...

Setup upnp on my dns323 NAS and tested out DLNA. Had to turn off TruMotion for video's to play without the soap opera affect. Had issue with a MKV and one xvid file that i tried. All others worked fine. I don't have many MKV, just wanted to test. The one xvid was probably a bad apple in the bunch. Overall videos play very well. I'm impressed with the ease of setup.

Configured Harmony 300 with IR codes for the 5400 and my FIOS STB. First time Harmony user. Once you get used to the button layout it's a pretty good remote. Had all FIOS stb buttons mapped automatically. The core 5400 buttons were mapped. I had to map buttons for Netcast, widgets, and a few others. If you've used a harmony before, you know it's a trivial process.

Energy saving setting are on. TruMotion off for DLNA, set to low for TV. Haven't seen any flash-lighting in the half hour I've watched streamed videos or live TV. Great picture, nice colors. Definitely what I expected from a LED. Overall, very satisfied with my purchase!

Any questions I'd be happy to answer.
post #558 of 1509 Old 12-03-2010, 04:23 PM

Bottom line up front: Got VA panel from Amazon, it sucks. The replacement procedure sucks, the situation sucks. Won't be doing it again.

Ordered TV from Amazon on Nov 24th... Arrived the 30th. VA panel with "D" in the serial. Setup was a breeze... not a terrible television - but certainly not acceptable. Flashlighting from each corner meets in nearly the center of the screen. Despite setting color appropriately, colors are definitely less vibrant as compared to the IPS panel (that I saw in person at BB). Called on the 31st to replace TV with stipulation of sending a "W" TV or none at all. Amazon dragged their feet until today to process the order and ship. TV is scheduled for deliver on the 9th. Ridiculous.

Never again will I purchase a major electronic device like this over the internet (for delivery). Especially not from Amazon. Buyer beware - Amazon's customer service, while incredibly friendly, is inept.
post #559 of 1509 Old 12-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveliquidice View Post

Bottom line up front: Got VA panel from Amazon, it sucks. The replacement procedure sucks, the situation sucks. Won't be doing it again.

Ordered TV from Amazon on Nov 24th... Arrived the 30th. VA panel with "D" in the serial. Setup was a breeze... not a terrible television - but certainly not acceptable. Flashlighting from each corner meets in nearly the center of the screen. Despite setting color appropriately, colors are definitely less vibrant as compared to the IPS panel (that I saw in person at BB). Called on the 31st to replace TV with stipulation of sending a "W" TV or none at all. Amazon dragged their feet until today to process the order and ship. TV is scheduled for deliver on the 9th. Ridiculous.

Never again will I purchase a major electronic device like this over the internet (for delivery). Especially not from Amazon. Buyer beware - Amazon's customer service, while incredibly friendly, is inept.

While it seems like a hassle, I'm curious to know what you did to get amazon to send you a W. I'm in the same boat with my Amazon order, and I just assumed I would return this TV (I actually have the 5300) and get a Panasonic. Amazon on-line lets me just return it and schedule a free pickup and seemed easy enough. That said, if you were able to talk them into looking through the inventory for the W model, I would prefer that. Any particular thing you said/did?
post #560 of 1509 Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 PM

Black Friday was well kind of black. My 14 year old 31" CRT quit.

So Saturday I was TV shopping. There where some great Black Friday sales still on but most where sold out. Found one LG 47LE5400 on Sale for much less then anyone else. I needed it delivered and they where a week out so I got the TV today. Glad I bought it Saturday the Store is Closed on Sunday and on Monday the price was up to what others where selling it for.

So maybe Friday was not so black. Got a great new TV and was able to buy a Pioneer Elite VSX30 with the savings.

Keep the great info coming here.
post #561 of 1509 Old 12-04-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leech1980 View Post

Picked up a 32LE5400 from local BB. Also ordered LG wifi adapter and Harmony 300 from the big "A".

Setup was easy. Connected to my home network and downloaded/installed the latest firmware (8.02.08). Have the 8 Netcast apps with the coming soon. I think that will become hulu+ in the coming months...

Setup upnp on my dns323 NAS and tested out DLNA. Had to turn off TruMotion for video's to play without the soap opera affect. Had issue with a MKV and one xvid file that i tried. All others worked fine. I don't have many MKV, just wanted to test. The one xvid was probably a bad apple in the bunch. Overall videos play very well. I'm impressed with the ease of setup.

Configured Harmony 300 with IR codes for the 5400 and my FIOS STB. First time Harmony user. Once you get used to the button layout it's a pretty good remote. Had all FIOS stb buttons mapped automatically. The core 5400 buttons were mapped. I had to map buttons for Netcast, widgets, and a few others. If you've used a harmony before, you know it's a trivial process.

Energy saving setting are on. TruMotion off for DLNA, set to low for TV. Haven't seen any flash-lighting in the half hour I've watched streamed videos or live TV. Great picture, nice colors. Definitely what I expected from a LED. Overall, very satisfied with my purchase!

Any questions I'd be happy to answer.

Where did you find the streamed live TV? The only closest to live is the MLB tv.
post #562 of 1509 Old 12-04-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Where did you find the streamed live TV? The only closest to live is the MLB tv.

I meant live tv from the fios stb.
post #563 of 1509 Old 12-04-2010, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was watching Grown Ups on Vudu last night & it wasnt streaming in 5.1. Only 2 channel. Does this have somethin to do with the latest software update because the other movies I watched on Vudu before streamed in 5.1.
post #564 of 1509 Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I meant live tv from the fios stb.
I just googled it up. I think I need to tell you what I am trying to do with my new TV. I need to find a way to watch a live TV program without needing a cable wire. Slingbox is almost a good example of a wireless device that allow you to watch the TV anywhere, but it only works with a computer. I am not sure if the slingbox will work with my TV.

My PC that connects to the TV isn't going to work with the slingbox's requirement. Do you have any idea to watch the live TV wirelessly?
post #565 of 1509 Old 12-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I just googled it up. I think I need to tell you what I am trying to do with my new TV. I need to find a way to watch a live TV program without needing a cable wire. Slingbox is almost a good example of a wireless device that allow you to watch the TV anywhere, but it only works with a computer. I am not sure if the slingbox will work with my TV.

My PC that connects to the TV isn't going to work with the slingbox's requirement. Do you have any idea to watch the live TV wirelessly?
Assuming you have pay tv(fios/comcast/dish), have you looked at the LG wireless media kit? From the pictures it looks like you get two small black boxes in the kit; a smaller one that connects to the back of the tv and the other acts like a media hub, you plug all you devices into it (dvd/std/xbox/etc.)
post #566 of 1509 Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 PM

I read that IPS panels are supposedly worse than VA panels in terms of input lag. Is this the case for the LG5400 or is the IPS model superior in every way compared to the VA?

Also, how much better is the 32LE5400 compared to LG 32LH20 (I currently own this model)?
post #567 of 1509 Old 12-04-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulaker9
After bringing it home and firing it up, I was extremely pleased to see that there was very minimal flashlighting and its downright unnoticeable! The viewing angle is also much better on this set, than the set I returned. The colors wash out at extreme angles that would never be used for viewing.
Glad to hear you got a good set. I couldn't understand all the flashlighting complaints with this tv but now I know that even though I have a VA panel I got one of the 'good' VA panels. I still wish the off angle viewing was a little better but since my LG is in the master bedroom it's just not an issue for us.
post #568 of 1509 Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Assuming you have pay tv(fios/comcast/dish), have you looked at the LG wireless media kit? From the pictures it looks like you get two small black boxes in the kit; a smaller one that connects to the back of the tv and the other acts like a media hub, you plug all you devices into it (dvd/std/xbox/etc.)

I have comcast with HD cable box. That LG Media kit sounds perfect, but the problem is that it only limits to one room distance (up to 16 feet for one room only). The new LG 32LE5400 I have is currently in my room and the Comcast cable box and modem are in the living room. My bedroom is approximately 50 feet away from the living room.

It looks like I need to get a wireless bridge to make it works flawlessly, but I am still not sure if that bridge will connect the LG devices.
post #569 of 1509 Old 12-05-2010, 12:06 AM

Liked: 17
i have been looking at the 32LE5400 to replace my older lcd. its going to be heavily used with a pc for media purposes (its an htpc using media center). Can anyone share their impression on pc use? (text clarity, etc)

it seems like the more i research 32" sets, the more i see that none give you everything you want. you have to choose which negatives mean more or less to you.

Ive been looking at this set along with the 32LE5300, 32LD450, and Samsung LN32C550, but none seems to be obvious choices.
post #570 of 1509 Old 12-05-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper11 View Post

i have been looking at the 32LE5400 to replace my older lcd. its going to be heavily used with a pc for media purposes (its an htpc using media center). Can anyone share their impression on pc use? (text clarity, etc)

it seems like the more i research 32" sets, the more i see that none give you everything you want. you have to choose which negatives mean more or less to you.

Ive been looking at this set along with the 32LE5300, 32LD450, and Samsung LN32C550, but none seems to be obvious choices.

I am not nitpicky on the static graphic in the computer. It looks great to me, but if I were picky as hell for color and details - I'd look up something from a HP monitor with dreamcolor screen (very pricey and it's being used by Pixar studios). Good luck if you can find a 32" HP dreamcolor.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page