post #31 of 1509 Old 06-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpa View Post

So do you LED owners feel LED is worth it without calibration?
Went to buy the 55le5400 tonight. The sales person talked us out of it after we advised we were not interested in calibration. He said the extra expense of the LED technology was not worth it without calibration, because the difference between LED and plain LCD would not be discernible without calibration. He indicated that plasma sets were better looking than LED without calibration. We left without a TV since we did not have time to re-evaluate our purchase options. We saw the calibration display and were not impressed $300 worth. We are considering the Viera 54g20 plasma that the store did not stock. He said that whatever black level issues there were in the G10 series were solved in the G20. The rep did not mention the existence of a g20 in anything obigger than the 50" unit he stocked.(which we liked, but was too small.)

Every lcd tv could benefit from a professional calibration but it is not mandatory in todays lcds for excellent pq and the reality is that most wont do it. That salesman sounds stupid, there would certainly be a discernible difference between a calibrated led set and an uncalibrated ccfl. I have yet to find a salesman that actually knew what he was talking about although Im sure there are some good ones they are few and far between at at the b&m's in my area. If you are looking for a thin, matte screened lcd then the 5400 is an excellent choice imo, however if you dont care how thick your tv is then there are a few ccfl lcd's that would give as good or better pq. The panasonic plasma's generally have pretty good to excellent pq but the sreens are not matte. Reasons I purchased the 5400, thin, matte screen and good off angle viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1509 Old 06-13-2010, 11:09 PM

No one else has experienced lip sync problems with DVDs?

Also, any thoughts on using Cnet's calibrations for the XXLE5500?

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...&tag=mncol;txt
post #33 of 1509 Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy4 View Post

No one else has experienced lip sync problems with DVDs?

Also, any thoughts on using Cnet's calibrations for the XXLE5500?

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...&tag=mncol;txt

I just bought this set Saturday and have not played any DVD's on it yet so can't address the lip sync issue. But there sure isn't much activity on this thread for this model. I hope it picks up because I would love to try out some members settings on this thing.
post #34 of 1509 Old 06-14-2010, 07:04 PM

I just purchased this set and I hooked up PS3 to it and whenever it changes resolutions it makes a popping noise. It actually makes 3 separate popping noises. Anybody else having this problem? The picture and sound after that are perfect just when it changes resolutions.
post #35 of 1509 Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 PM

Bump for some user settings
post #36 of 1509 Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

I am digging the settings used by the person on the first page. I just tweak brightness to my liking depending on lighting
post #37 of 1509 Old 06-15-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfeine View Post

I just purchased this set and I hooked up PS3 to it and whenever it changes resolutions it makes a popping noise. It actually makes 3 separate popping noises. Anybody else having this problem? The picture and sound after that are perfect just when it changes resolutions.

My PS3 is hooked up via HDMI1 and I have no popping sounds when resolution changes.

I also have no lip sync issues when playing a DVD via my PS3.

Just hooked up my 1TB hard drive full of my "backed upped" movies. Love the interface. Much better then sammy's interface. Anyway, can you adjust the true motion for movies that are played back via a hard drive? I was watching 2012 and do not like the "accelerated" look things have. I have it turned off for all other TV watching but cannot figure out how to turn it off for hard drive playback, if it is even possible. I know it is the 55LE5400 since I play it back on my laptop and it looks normal.
post #38 of 1509 Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 AM

Well, looks like not to much going on with this set yet so I'll get it started. These are the settings I'm using now and I came up with these just by playing around and trial and error. Nothing official by any means but maybe it will be a starting point.

Backlight 60
Contrast 95
Brightness 50
Sharpness 60
Color 50
Tint 0
Color Temp 0

Advanced Controls

Dynamic Contrast Medium
Dynamic Color Low
Clear White Off
Skin Color 0
Noise Reduction Low
Digital N/R Medium
Gamma Medium
Black Level Low
Eye Care Low
Color Gammut Wide
True Motion High

Like I said, these are just eyeballed but try them out and tinker with them. We have to start somewhere, right?
post #39 of 1509 Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
After comparing all the sets at my local walmart (The only local place I can compare TVs) I was quite surprised by this LED based LCD. The viewing angles were fantastic (almost plasma like) this is what grabbed my attention first off. I immediately did the screen touch test and sure enough, no waves, so yes it is an IPS panel. The signal was also a good 1/4 second ahead of the Sony, Samsung and Vizio LED based LCDs around it so lag is better than on those sets even with the motion enhancers turned on.

Looks like I will be getting this set as my next HDTV, because it is the first set that I have looked at this year that doesn't have a ton of built in issues that are immediate show stoppers. (Samsung = bad lag (plasma and LCD, much worse on LCD) Sony = bad lag (and supply issues for the moment. Panasonic = rising and floating blacks, yes even the 2010 models are effected by this.) It is nice to see a set that seems to work for the most part (the audio lag that some people have is easily fixed if LG decides to do it, as many brands have had this issue before)

The funny thing is that the CCFL LG at Walmart looked and behaved nothing like it's LED cousin, the difference was quite obvious and the LED had the clear advantage in every area.

If only there was a 60inch version with an IPS panel....

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #40 of 1509 Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

MG6035-I like your settings too....I think I will keep a copy of yours set to "Vivid" and a copy of PTT660's set to "Standard". The only change I might make is de selecting the "noise reductions"

Both settings are very good and will be useful for different viewings. MG's I think are better for sports...the finals look sweet right now, bright and vibrant and PTT's maybe better for movies.
post #41 of 1509 Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 PM

I'm confused. So is the 5400 (like on BB's website) edge-lit or back-lit?
post #42 of 1509 Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by td2243 View Post

I'm confused. So is the 5400 (like on BB's website) edge-lit or back-lit?

Edge lit.
post #43 of 1509 Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 AM

I have purchased 47le5400 awesome
Son cracked older lcd 42lcd lg
Compared to that night and day

This tv will be my last purchase as I dont need more then what this unit gives me ,

Watching blueray on ps3 is awesome ,sometimes a little to good!

Movies on just regular dvd is also great.

Sound is fine as long as your not close to tv the further the better it sounds,but I am looking into buying a reciever.

I am not setup on color settings yet that is why i have searched the web and found this place to help me and join a community that has the same taste as me

I was watching hockey playoffs and was just in awe with the flow and the clarity with this tv set

I am not a tech guy and dont know all the extras for fine tuning but for the guy that likes a great picture I rate this 10-10

I plugged in my Usb with my movies on and was happy with the setup ,my movies all showed up and is a very good picture,goodbye windows media!

Any Questions
Just ask

Owner of a great tv!
I purchased mine at BB 2 weeks ago
post #44 of 1509 Old 06-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFLYGUY1 View Post

Thanks for the review HTBruceM, would you comment on the viewing angle of the set?

Sorry I haven't been back here for a while....

Viewing angle? Crazy good, IMHO... It looks great even when viewing almost completely to the side without any degradation that I can see. Just got it hung on the wall with an articulating mount, so I don't really worry about viewing angle anymore...
post #45 of 1509 Old 06-20-2010, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

A few quick questions.

Could someone so a lag test on this set as detailed in the LCD lag threads? It would be nice to get some numbers on this thing and see how good it performs against a lag free CRT. (testing needs to be done with motion enhancers on, and off, along with a Game mode test)

Can some of the owners post pictures of their sets? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see these things in a home enviroment.

And can someone with a good camera take some dark room high ISO screen shots of the set to show how uniform a black screen is? (or a very dark scene from a movie if this thing has an undefeatable auto dim)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #46 of 1509 Old 06-20-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot1848 View Post

MG6035-I like your settings too....I think I will keep a copy of yours set to "Vivid" and a copy of PTT660's set to "Standard". The only change I might make is de selecting the "noise reductions"

Both settings are very good and will be useful for different viewings. MG's I think are better for sports...the finals look sweet right now, bright and vibrant and PTT's maybe better for movies.

Slapshot, my settings are for use in a fairly dark room with just one light on behind the tv. That is mainly the environment i view it in. I would agree that raising the backilght for viewing in a sunny and/or bright room would keep the picture quality bright enough without appearing dim. Since Sporting events have little or no dark scenes, a higher backlight setting would work fine as well.

I just find that adjusting the backlight without having to mess around with the other settings works for me under all conditions. The one exception is the sharpness control. I keep it at 50 for hd but lower it for sd sources. I am liking this set more and more as time goes by. Edge-lit LED sets have really got pounded on this forum for being an "inferior technology" to local dimming or even CFL backlit LCD panels. Based on my experiences with the 55LE5400 i would say to any prospective buyer of this set, take the bashing with a grain of salt.
post #47 of 1509 Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt660 View Post

Slapshot, my settings are for use in a fairly dark room with just one light on behind the tv. That is mainly the environment i view it in. I would agree that raising the backilght for viewing in a sunny and/or bright room would keep the picture quality bright enough without appearing dim. Since Sporting events have little or no dark scenes, a higher backlight setting would work fine as well.

I just find that adjusting the backlight without having to mess around with the other settings works for me under all conditions. The one exception is the sharpness control. I keep it at 50 for hd but lower it for sd sources. I am liking this set more and more as time goes by. Edge-lit LED sets have really got pounded on this forum for being an "inferior technology" to local dimming or even CFL backlit LCD panels. Based on my experiences with the 55LE5400 i would say to any prospective buyer of this set, take the bashing with a grain of salt.

The IPS panel is the reason that this set is doing so well vs other LED edge lit sets. IPS is the best LCD tech on the market right now for overall performance, and is only just now becoming available in large screen sizes.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #48 of 1509 Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The IPS panel is the reason that this set is doing so well vs other LED edge lit sets. IPS is the best LCD tech on the market right now for overall performance, and is only just now becoming available in large screen sizes.

It seems the ips panels have far less uniformity issues than the Samsung edge-lit sets from the reviews i have read, so i would agree with you there. They use S-PVA panels, correct? I have read that those type panels might achieve deeper black levels vs. IPS panels. That may give the Sammy's an edge there, but i am satisfied with the black levels on my set. I was concerned about viewing angle when looking at different panels and thought initially that i would have to get a plasma. I have my friends over occasionally to watch a sporting event so this factor was important to me. This panel has been great in this regard. No degrading of the picture quality in my room viewing from any angle. Plasma would of been fine BUT i wanted to use this set as a computer monitor too, plus i do not like the reflective screens of plasma. So it was really an easy decision in the end for me.
post #49 of 1509 Old 06-20-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:

I think you're right. I like the picture better with noise reduction set to off. Has anybody tried the "intelligent sensor" function? When I try it it makes the picture to dark for my tastes.
post #50 of 1509 Old 06-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg6035 View Post

I think you're right. I like the picture better with noise reduction set to off. Has anybody tried the "intelligent sensor" function? When I try it it makes the picture to dark for my tastes.

I generally prefer a darker picture but the is on mine is too dark even for me. The auto view on my toshiba is just about perfect.
post #51 of 1509 Old 06-21-2010, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt660 View Post

It seems the ips panels have far less uniformity issues than the Samsung edge-lit sets from the reviews i have read, so i would agree with you there. They use S-PVA panels, correct? I have read that those type panels might achieve deeper black levels vs. IPS panels. That may give the Sammy's an edge there, but i am satisfied with the black levels on my set. I was concerned about viewing angle when looking at different panels and thought initially that i would have to get a plasma. I have my friends over occasionally to watch a sporting event so this factor was important to me. This panel has been great in this regard. No degrading of the picture quality in my room viewing from any angle. Plasma would of been fine BUT i wanted to use this set as a computer monitor too, plus i do not like the reflective screens of plasma. So it was really an easy decision in the end for me.

PVA panels do have better on axis blacks than an IPS panel, but that is their only real advantage, IPS is better in every other area. (lower lag, near plasma viewing angles, no ghosting, no ripple effect when you touch the screen)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #52 of 1509 Old 06-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I am an HDTV novice. I recently purchased the LG 47LE5400 at Best Buy simply because it appeared to have the best in-store picture of all the tv's at the same size in the same price range. Since I've gotten it home I have been generally very pleased with the set. I really only have one issue and would like to see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. I am a huge sports fan and have been looking at various sporting events using Directv. On some, but not all, such broadcasts, whenever there is a picture dominated by green, such as grass or trees, the picture quality seems to deteriorate. Specifically, some edges seem to blur a bit, grass gets sort of wavy looking, and if a ball is flying across the screen with a green background, it appear to "split" into three balls with the real one in the center and ghost balls on either side. I've been trying many different setting combinations but haven't been able to eliminate the issue entirely. Does anyone else see this on their set, and does anyone have any suggestions on what I might try? Thanks!
post #53 of 1509 Old 06-22-2010, 11:42 AM

just purchased the 55LE5400. Anyone having blu-ray player dropouts where the picture goes black for a few seconds?
post #54 of 1509 Old 06-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckouba View Post

I recently purchased an LG 55LE5400 LED HDTV as well as the BD570 Blu-Ray player. I have them connected to each other with a high-quality $140 HDMI cable. I have two prevalent problems with this hardware: (i) When playing a disc, the video and audio frequently drops out (the screen goes black and audio stops) for about a second, then it comes back; and (ii) the second problem is that the audio is always a half-second behind the video, creating a very bad lip sync issue. I've tried ALL the settings on both menus, have tried different cable, different HDMI ports. I even took both units back to the store and swaped them out for another serial number. So this appears to be a design problem with this setup. Both problems are extremely annoying, and if I can't resolve this issue I'm taking both back to the store and return them for something else.

I've called LG and haven't gotten very good response (they keep reading their script to me, and say that no one else has had this issue).

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas on how to fix?

Hi ckouba,
I am having the same problem (i) with my LG 42LE5400, this only happend to me when I put my PS3 in 1080p, and playing dvd in my PS3.
I returned this TV and get the same TV, but this problem still happen, but happen about 3 time in an hour.

Do you fix this problem?
post #55 of 1509 Old 06-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Hi,
I am having one problem with my LG 42LE5400, this only happend to me when I am playing my PS3 in 1080p, and play dvd in my PS3.

The problem is that suddenly the video and sound go off, one or two seconds then returns normally, then this issue happen again.

I returned this TV and get the same TV, but this problem still happen, but happen about 3 time in an hour.

Someone have this problem?
post #56 of 1509 Old 06-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew0670 View Post

just purchased the 55LE5400. Anyone having blu-ray player dropouts where the picture goes black for a few seconds?

Yes. This happened to me. but I still don't know how to solve this issue, I returned my Tv and get another new, but this still happen with the HDMI cable, I had an HDMI v1.4 and still have the issue. I tried with 3 different cable but the issue still remains.

If you can change the resolution of the blu-ray, put it on 1080i and the issue disappears. But this is not a solution because I bought this TV for play mi PS3 and watch movies (DVD and Blu-ray) but this is annoying.

Someone have the solution for this issue?
post #57 of 1509 Old 06-22-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

ulil....are you sure your settings on the PS3 are correct? I have watched many blu rays and I have never had a bad experience. When hooking things up through HDMI are you making sure both devices are "off"? I would love to help, but I haven't experienced this issue.
post #58 of 1509 Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:

ulil....are you sure your settings on the PS3 are correct? I have watched many blu rays and I have never had a bad experience. When hooking things up through HDMI are you making sure both devices are "off"? I would love to help, but I haven't experienced this issue.

Yes, I hooked up these 2 devices when they are OFF, when they are ON, with 3 different HDMI cables (one from sony, for my PS3) I watched the movie HANG OVER with no problems, but when I play or simply in the XMB of the PS3 @1080p the issue came Up. I tray in another screen, a Samsung (5 series) and the problem don't show up. I tray with another PS3 system and I still have the problem.
Summary: 2 PS3 console, 3 different HDMI cables, 2 LG 42LE5400 and 1 samsung serie 5 (no problem, at least the time I played on it) screens and the problem remains.

So the screen is the problem, maybe no all the screens have this issue, maybe is a HW problem.
post #59 of 1509 Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:

I also played blu rays in my PS3 (no problem), DVD in my PS3(same problem), divX movies direct in my screen(no problem), TV(no problem).

This problem fix when I put a low resolution 1080i, the screen works fine with no issues at all. But I buy this screen for play my PS3 at 1080p (final fantasy XIII game).

It look like a Sync problem, maybe I need to change the configuration but I only have this issue with 1080p 60Hz (59.94Hz is the signal out for the PS3, but the screen accept this signal), I don't know if in the info of the screen resolution must said 1080/60p (this is the information of my screen) or maybe 1080/59.94p the real signal of the PS3. If you or anyone have this answer please let me know and your config of the screen.
post #60 of 1509 Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Hey guys,

I currently have Panny TC-58PS1 and it is suffering from the IR and black level problem. I have been researching its replacement and have narrowed it down to the Sammy 58c550 or the LG 55LE5400 LED.

I game heavily and was curious about input lag and motion blur with games and also blu-rays.

I am not a fan of the Soap Opera effect either so how customizable are motion enhancers for someone who is used to motion on a plasma display, will I be constantly annoyed or will I not be able to notice a difference. Also the best buy guy told me that people seem to notice pixleation and a lot of screen artifacts in this tv with a lot of action and/or explosions, is this true as well?

Any other info or caveats about either tv if you know em would be great.

Thanks,
Dean
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays