Official LG XXLE5400 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1509 Old 12-13-2010, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Went to BB yesterday and had no problem getting a W panel. Price was same as Amazon and I didn't want to do the lottery. BB dude didn't know what I was looking for, but the first one he pulled was a W. I showed him and told him the scoop as he was clueless.

Fairly painless experience. That was until I overheard a conversation between a BB employee and a customer about why one needs a wireless N network.

It started with "How old is your router?", and quickly went downhill from there.

I had to repeatedly wash and rinse my ears after I came home. I tossed it on the wall and it looks good. Just need to do some calibration and get a second TiVo.

SG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1509 Old 12-13-2010, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As for people worrying about input lag in their games, I have a VA panel 42" LE5400 and I have not experienced any input lag that has affected my gameplay. I mostly play FPS games such as Call Of Duty and Metal Of Honor. I did try playing Rock Band and I also didn't notice any lag which affected the timing of the button presses. Just be sure to set the TV to Game Mode
post #633 of 1509 Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 AM

Just purchased a 47LE5500. This is not our main TV, so it is a very simple setup... TV, Blu-Ray player, 2-channel audio amplifier, and two speakers. There is no receiver. I want the audio to be two channel, stereo only - not 5.1.

There are two ways for me to connect the audio:

1. Connect the analog audio output of the Blu-Ray player (left and right RCA jacks) to the amplifier.

2. Connect the TV's audio output (optical digital signal) to a D/A, and then connect the D/A output to the audio amplifier.

So I did both. Perhaps it's my imagination, but #1 seems to sound a lot better than #2. Is something not configured right? Might it be because the TV is outputting 5.1, and not stereo??
post #634 of 1509 Old 12-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Ohioan: If by D/A you mean some sort of external D/A converter, then I don't see why the former wouldn't sound better. It's possible the blu-ray player has a better D/A converter than the one you're using externally.

If your amp/receiver takes toslink that will likely be your best option as you want to do the conversion as close to the amplification as possible, I would guess.
post #635 of 1509 Old 12-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I am growing disenchanted with this set...

No matter what settings I have applied, I cannot get past the artifacting that this panel is producing. I dont know if this is a symptom of the signal being sent to FIOS, or if its the set itself. If only seems to happen with certain channels, not all channels. What really frustrates me is that my Sharp 42" produced none of the artifacting I am seeing with this panel and handled SD content really well. While I love the PQ of the LG, the random blur/artifacting on SD and HD is maddening as hell and I am having a hard time getting past it.

Is this a case of moving up 5" in screen size and seeing the warts that were not so evident with the 42" panel? Looking for feedback from any members that have experienced this same issue and if so, what did you find worked to alleviate the problem? I am on firmware 06.02.01...

Thanks.

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Samsung Blue-ray BD-P3600

Logitech Harmony Smart Control

Panamax M5100-PM

post #636 of 1509 Old 12-13-2010, 06:29 PM

I find this TV is not very forgiving with poorer quality signals. Do you have the VA or IPS variant?
post #637 of 1509 Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM

My 42LE5400 only outputs stereo with 5.1 digital inputs. My receiver does not have HDMI, so I have to send HDMI to TV. I read in this thread that a technician was able to enable 5.1 with the service menu.

I called LG customer service and was given the run around by two reps who had no clue to what I was saying. I spoke to a supervisor who put me in touch with someone who was actually in support. Since I was at work, I was given a reference number and told to call back. When I called, rep looked at my file and stated this TV can only output stereo. When I pressed him he said all LG models do this, which blew my mind.

I got a real good deal on this TV (with Xbox) and this is the only issue I have with it. I find it hard to justify buying a new receiver just because TV does not do what it is supposed to. The price/performance is great, except I have no use for Netcast or widgets.

Can anyone recommend another LED TV for movies and gaming or should I buy a new receiver? Thanks

"Ne obliviscaris"
post #638 of 1509 Old 12-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_falcon View Post

i find this tv is not very forgiving with poorer quality signals. Do you have the va or ips variant?

ips

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Samsung Blue-ray BD-P3600

Logitech Harmony Smart Control

Panamax M5100-PM

post #639 of 1509 Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM

Googling "hdtv output 5.1", it appears TVs can only output 5.1 from a digital tuner. I had no idea, is this true?

"Ne obliviscaris"
post #640 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 AM

I picked up the 47" 5400 tonight and the number ended in WLHR, so I'm hoping this is the IPS panel, right? It looks pretty good to me and I haven't touched the settings yet.

But I also picked up the 37LE5300 and its number ends in DLUR. Is there an IPS version of the 5300? Is this the "right" number or should I look for the "W" here too?
post #641 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcarr316 View Post

I picked up the 47" 5400 tonight and the number ended in WLHR, so I'm hoping this is the IPS panel, right? It looks pretty good to me and I haven't touched the settings yet.

But I also picked up the 37LE5300 and its number ends in DLUR. Is there an IPS version of the 5300? Is this the "right" number or should I look for the "W" here too?

Yup, LE5300 should have IPS with the same "W" code. Your 5400 is already an IPS for sure, congratulation! I have the same experience with you, I was blown away already with the PQ without touching the setting. There's a nice setting somewhere in this thread, it looks so astonishing.
post #642 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 AM

I admit I am confused on the format of the TV's digital audio output (via Toslink).

If I connect my Blu-ray player to the TV using an HDMI cable, what is the format of the TV's digital audio output? Does it depend on what is being sourced by the Blu-ray player?

If my Blu-ray player is sourcing Dolby Digital 5.1 to the TV through HDMI, will the TV's digital audio output be 5.1? If my Blu-ray player is sourcing regular 2-channel stereo to the TV through HDMI (is this even possible?), will the TV's digital audio output be regular 2-channel stereo?
post #643 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post

My 42LE5400 only outputs stereo with 5.1 digital inputs. My receiver does not have HDMI, so I have to send HDMI to TV. I read in this thread that a technician was able to enable 5.1 with the service menu.

I called LG customer service and was given the run around by two reps who had no clue to what I was saying. I spoke to a supervisor who put me in touch with someone who was actually in support. Since I was at work, I was given a reference number and told to call back. When I called, rep looked at my file and stated this TV can only output stereo. When I pressed him he said all LG models do this, which blew my mind.

I got a real good deal on this TV (with Xbox) and this is the only issue I have with it. I find it hard to justify buying a new receiver just because TV does not do what it is supposed to. The price/performance is great, except I have no use for Netcast or widgets.

Can anyone recommend another LED TV for movies and gaming or should I buy a new receiver? Thanks

Is your receiver 5.1? If so you could connect your devices (blu-ray, cable box) directly to your receiver with optical or coaxial digital cables. That's how I have mine setup since I have an older 5.1 receiver with no hdmi inputs.
post #644 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 AM

I have a Yamaha receiver that is not HDMI. I have my Xbox, Sat and Blue-Ray connected to the TV using HDMI and I have optical digital connected to my receiver. I turned the speakers off on my tv. Everything works great and I don't notice and lipsynch issues.
post #645 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4 View Post

Yup, LE5300 should have IPS with the same "W" code.

Damn ... I'm going to need to find a way to bring this one back. Thanks for the info.

Quote:

There's a nice setting somewhere in this thread, it looks so astonishing.

Would you mind pointing me to the one you recommend? I looked through the first 5 pages and saw about 3-4 setting recommendations and I wasn't especially blown away with any of them (note: I'm not a videophile by any stretch). Would you mind directing me to the one you mention, or just posting the settings you use?

Thanks!
post #646 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post

If I connect my Blu-ray player to the TV using an HDMI cable, what is the format of the TV's digital audio output? Does it depend on what is being sourced by the Blu-ray player?

In all TV's I've seen the digital out of the television is a 2-channel downmix. The only way I've seen to get multi-channel audio from the digital out of the television is from a broadcast (OTA). I don't know why this is, I don't know why they don't just pass the audio through. Keep in mind that I haven't tested this on the 5400 (I just got it yesterday).

Quote:

If my Blu-ray player is sourcing Dolby Digital 5.1 to the TV through HDMI, will the TV's digital audio output be 5.1?

In my experience with other sets, no, but I could be wrong with the 5400. I'll test it and let you know if I'm wrong.

Quote:

If my Blu-ray player is sourcing regular 2-channel stereo to the TV through HDMI (is this even possible?), will the TV's digital audio output be regular 2-channel stereo?

Yes, it's possible, and yes, from what I've seen, the TV will pass it through.
post #647 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:

In all TV's I've seen the digital out of the television is a 2-channel downmix.

I just checked the manual for my 47LE5500. It says,

Quote:

If you want to enjoy digital broadcasting through 5.1-channel speakers, connect the OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal on the back of TV to a Home Theater (or amp).

post #648 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 AM

Ohioan: Please read the next sentence of my post. Specifically, where I say:

"The only way I've seen to get multi-channel audio from the digital out of the television is from a broadcast (OTA)."
post #649 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Ohioan: Please read the next sentence of my post. Specifically, where I say:

"The only way I've seen to get multi-channel audio from the digital out of the television is from a broadcast (OTA)."

O.K. So does that mean the TV's digital audio output may - or may not - be 5.1, depending on the source material?
post #650 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I just checked the manual for my 47LE5500. It says,

Quote:

If you want to enjoy digital broadcasting through 5.1-channel speakers, connect the OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal on the back of TV to a Home Theater (or amp).

Emphasis on Broadcast.

Quote:

O.K. So does that mean the TV's digital audio output may - or may not - be 5.1, depending on the source material?

If the Broadcast source is DD 5.1 it should be passed that way over the TOS-Link out. As previously stated, and pretty much confirmed by your user manual quote, sources other than the TV's built in tuner will not be passed as DD 5.1 but down sampled to 2 channel PCM.
post #651 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 11:06 AM

PSUfan,
In your setup, do you still get 5.1 output from your blu-ray player? After reading the last post, i'm curious if the TV will pass 5.1 to the receiver from blu-ray. I like the idea of only using 1 cable from the TV to the receiver for 5.1 instead of connecting each device to the receiver.
post #652 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:

I admit I am confused on the format of the TV's digital audio output (via Toslink).

If my Blu-ray player is sourcing Dolby Digital 5.1 to the TV through HDMI, will the TV's digital audio output be 5.1? If my Blu-ray player is sourcing regular 2-channel stereo to the TV through HDMI (is this even possible?), will the TV's digital audio output be regular 2-channel stereo?

Does you Blu-Ray player send DD5.1 over HDMI? I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but from other devices I have I only get DD5.1 with toslink.
post #653 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 04:23 PM

i got a question on the 32 LE5400 tv but other 5400 models may be the same so you can help to

when i use a input say dvd ps3 ect. i have the tru motion on user with the judder to 0 and blur to 10, meaning that the video wont be all soap opera b/c the judder is on 0

but if i were to switch inputs to say watch some tv then go back to the other input (doesnt matter if its hdmi of component) it some how activated the judder and the video has the soap opera affect even though in the settings its still on user with judder to 0

the only way of fixing it is to scroll through the picture modes until ive cycled through all 4 of them or go back to tru motion and reset it by moving judder to 1 and then back down to 0 another way is to simply have the trumotion set to off for the input

does any one have this issue with it? i tried multiple situations like having the tv inputs trumotion to off and other possibilities but it always happens no matter what i do to it, when going from an input source to tv them back to that input my inputs trumotion user settings is being affected there not getting saved after switching from tv back to that input
post #654 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Yup, LE5300 should have IPS with the same "W" code. Your 5400 is already an IPS for sure, congratulation! I have the same experience with you, I was blown away already with the PQ without touching the setting. There's a nice setting somewhere in this thread, it looks so astonishing.

I calibrated my 47 with IPs version and the standard settings were pretty decent for grayscale. In the 20-30 IRE scale there was some pretty big blue push. In the 60-80 there was too much. But after calibration pretty much everything fro
20-90 was spot on. The colors were very accurate for the primaries, secondaries need more adjustments.
post #655 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 05:45 PM

i also tried it vise versa having the trumotin on user while watching tv input with settings of judder 0 and blur 10 then simply switching from tv to another input (the other input devise doesnt even have to be on all you have to do is switch to it in the menu) switch back to tv and its all soap opera, like the judder has been moved up from 0 even though it still on 0

can anyone else try this to see if its normal or just a issue with my set
post #656 of 1509 Old 12-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Hi:
I would appreciate some help. I have a several month old 55LE5400 hooked up as a monitor to a Denon 1910 and a SA Time Warner DVR. There is an LG wireless dongle plugged into the TV to get Netflix. I use a Harmony 880 to control everything.

All worked well until a recent firmware download and now the TV will not always turn off either with the Harmony or the TV's remote. The Denon does not seem to release control to the TV on attempted shutdown and the TV's remote then doesn't work at all. I have to unplug and replug the TV to get it working again. Sometimes I get the TV's Menu onscreen and can't get rid of or utilize it.

I hope I made myself clear.

Thanks,
Jerry
post #657 of 1509 Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 AM

Hey Yesterday I bought LG AN-VC200 Model Video Call Camera, After connecting this to 32LE5400 My TV got update to 08.02.11 With Skype Apps on Netcast , its really cool apps you can have Video Call/Audio call. But one concern that there is no Full Screen Video for Other Side for us. Other wise its one of cool feature add-on to TV Also does any one know how to create your play list or watch your Playlist in Youtube over the YOUTUBE App on Netcast.

Also any one idea on Apps coming on Netcast Such as Mozilla Firefox, Dailymotion, Facebook That will make this LG a good choice over the other brand......

keep posting...
post #658 of 1509 Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWraith View Post
i also tried it vise versa having the trumotin on user while watching tv input with settings of judder 0 and blur 10 then simply switching from tv to another input (the other input devise doesnt even have to be on all you have to do is switch to it in the menu) switch back to tv and its all soap opera, like the judder has been moved up from 0 even though it still on 0

can anyone else try this to see if its normal or just a issue with my set
Stealth...Are you sure when you switch inputs that you are maintaining the same picture mode? This is a "smart" TV in that it will remember which mode you were last watching a particular input in. In other words, let's say you are watching a DVD in "Cinema' Mode, and then switch to watching Cable TV in "Sports" Mode. If you then switch back to watching the DVD again, the TV will automatically switch the picture mode back to "Cinema" Mode whether you want to do that or not. If you had judder set to 0 in "Sports" Mode, and to 1 in "Cinema" mode, when the TV automatically switched from "Sports" to "Cinema", it changed your TruMotion setting as well. I don't know if this makes any sense, but thought it was worth mentioning. In any case, I will experiment with my 42LE5300 tonight and report back if I find anything that might help you.
post #659 of 1509 Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 AM

user trumotion settings stay the same for all the av modes for each input if i change one they will change for all av modes they only save for each different input at least on the 32 inch

they best and fastest way to try it is on a dvd or blu ray have your user settings judder 0 blur to anything examine the video then switch to any other available input just for a sec then go back to that dvd w/o touching anything on the remote just the input button to switch it there examine the video to see if the tru motion was the same as before for me its not, even though in the settings judder is still at 0

its pretty easy to correct it by cycling through the av modes real quick i guess once it cycles past game mode it resets it since game mode dosent have a trumotion just wondering if thats how its supposed to be

what sucks is that all the stores are out of stock so i can even exchange it and telling me that there discontinuing it
post #660 of 1509 Old 12-15-2010, 08:03 AM

Has anyone had this set for a long period of time (6 months or longer)? I've heard issues with colors fading in areas of the screen after a period of time. I've had mine for a month and so far so good (besides some backlight bleeding in dark scenes).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page