Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1509 Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flave View Post

Did anyone else get a software update to 8.02.16 today? If so, know what's changed? I can't see any differences myself.

Yep, I got it, but I don't see any differences either.

-I am not Neo, But I am still the One.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1509 Old 01-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Liked: 10
how do i update my software? i just got my wifi adapter
post #813 of 1509 Old 01-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Flave thank you for that information! I have went into the EZ-Adjust menu and enabled 5.1 audio out on the optical port and tested it to confirm that it works correctly.
post #814 of 1509 Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM

jclayt2 press Menu on the remote and then press the red button. You will be presented with an option for software update.
post #815 of 1509 Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
See this post:

http://www.hifivision.com/television...tml#post147712

Note that the password he posted is wrong for this set -- it should be 0413.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post
Flave thank you for that information! I have went into the EZ-Adjust menu and enabled 5.1 audio out on the optical port and tested it to confirm that it works correctly.
This is great information if you are ready willing and able to access the service manual. I'm currently receiving 5.1 audio out via OTA digital TV and MKV files via the media player, but do understand there are issues with 5.1 via a HDMI connection.

Thanks again for this valuable info!
post #816 of 1509 Old 01-12-2011, 02:51 PM

The update did something to yahoo widgets. After clicking the widgets button a message appeared saying yahoo was updating. However is see the same widgets as before.
post #817 of 1509 Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Picked up the 42LE5350 from Costco tonight. It's pretty much the same as the 5400 except with some differences in DNLA and no wifi (I have it hard lined ethernet).

Anyone have that exact same model? What are you using for calibration settings... and I have yet to figure out how to get into that level of the menu to set them
post #818 of 1509 Old 01-13-2011, 08:40 AM

I'm already having trouble with my 5350. It was pretty good out of the box... I tried to calibrate it but just couldn't get to what I thought were natural colors... Setting the blacks to low, made things a bit to intense, high was too faded... where's medium on that? :P

Then I went ahead and updated the firmware as it requested. First thing I noticed after that was lip sync issues. Sometimes it's very hard to tell, other times more noticeable... and this is over component cables from the cable box and old rca style audio out from the cable box to my speakers. It was fine before the firmware upgrade.

Unless someone has some ideas to fix these issues, I think I'll be taking it back to Costco.
post #819 of 1509 Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 AM

I got mine from costco last week. Took me a few days to get it where I am happy with it. Now I love it! Didi not have much luck with settings others have posted here, guess I have different tastes. Here is what I came up with.

Mode: Expert 1
backlight 75
contrast 97
brightness 50
h sharpness 66
v sharpness 46
color 35
tint 0
trumotion
judder 0
blur 3

expert control
dynamic contrast medium
noise reduction off
DNR off
black level low
real cinema on
color gamout wide
edge enhancer off
color temp medium
gamma 2
method 2 points

No rhyme or reason for the settings other than what looked good TO ME. I'm sure I will continue to tweak it a bit the more I watch.

Hope it works for you.
post #820 of 1509 Old 01-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkellypc View Post

No rhyme or reason for the settings other than what looked good TO ME. I'm sure I will continue to tweak it a bit the more I watch.

Hope it works for you.

Did you upgrade the software when it prompted? How's the lip sync for you? Are you using component or hdmi?
post #821 of 1509 Old 01-13-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista View Post

Picked up the 42LE5350 from Costco tonight. It's pretty much the same as the 5400 except with some differences in DNLA and no wifi (I have it hard lined ethernet).

Anyone have that exact same model? What are you using for calibration settings... and I have yet to figure out how to get into that level of the menu to set them

Quote:

I'm already having trouble with my 5350. It was pretty good out of the box... I tried to calibrate it but just couldn't get to what I thought were natural colors... Setting the blacks to low, made things a bit to intense, high was too faded... where's medium on that? :P

Then I went ahead and updated the firmware as it requested. First thing I noticed after that was lip sync issues. Sometimes it's very hard to tell, other times more noticeable... and this is over component cables from the cable box and old rca style audio out from the cable box to my speakers. It was fine before the firmware upgrade.

Unless someone has some ideas to fix these issues, I think I'll be taking it back to Costco.

Quote:

Did you upgrade the software when it prompted? How's the lip sync for you? Are you using component or hdmi?

I did the upgrade. All HDMI connections. have no lip sync issues. Mostly watch HDTV thru FIOS, only 1 movie so far.
post #822 of 1509 Old 01-13-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkellypc View Post

I did the upgrade. All HDMI connections. have no lip sync issues. Mostly watch HDTV thru FIOS, only 1 movie so far.

Ah, unfortunately my cable box doesn't have hdmi out. Considering it's supposed to be an HD box, I'm rather annoyed at that.
post #823 of 1509 Old 01-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Ah, unfortunately my cable box doesn't have hdmi out. Considering it's supposed to be an HD box, I'm rather annoyed at that.

I would check with your cable provider and see if they have a different model with HDMI
post #824 of 1509 Old 01-14-2011, 05:45 AM

I purchased a 42LE5400 from BB around Christmas time and was generally happy with the TV. I didn't love the clouding on a black screen but thought it might be typical for an LED/LCD tv.

After checking this forum I found out I purchased the VA Panel instead of the IPS. After calling 3 different stores- I finally found an IPS unit and returned my VA unit. (Even the physical box the IPS unit came in was almost half the size of the VA box.)

I noticed the IPS unit has NO clouding on a black screen.

These forums are great sources of information and I would like to thank everyone who contributes. I feel more comfortable with my purchase now and it's only because of this forum.
THANK YOU!

ExpensiveWino
post #825 of 1509 Old 01-14-2011, 07:19 AM

I have an IPS screen too. I have to say I'm not noticing any clouding or flashlighting... well the upper left corner might have a tiny bit of light leakage/flash lighting but it's hard to tell because though I had most of the room dark, the dining room light was on which could've been shining a bit on that side

Anyway, I'm happy with the screen quality... Had some trouble getting the colors to look the way I wanted, but I was pretty successful with that last night (I can post calibration settings later).

My final concern is the lip sync issue on analog inputs. I am seeing it on component input and on input from my PC. (VGA and audio cable). Haven't tested hdmi yet as I don't have an hdmi input source.

I'm going to drag my old 32" hyundai imagequest Q321 out tonight and put them side by side. If the quality isn't extremely better, I'm going to return the LG tomorrow. I LOVE the extra features... netflix, and USB ports that can play video, but I can't deal with lip sync issues no matter how slight... it'd drive me up the wall.
post #826 of 1509 Old 01-16-2011, 02:53 AM

I've had the Samsung LN46C610 for about 2 weeks. Can't find a color setting I'm fully happy with but the blacks are great (although I'm not happy with the shadow details )

I'm considering getting the 47 inch LG 5300 with IPS panel from Costco instead.

I'd gain 1 inch of screen, which is actually noticeable.

Just wondering about color accuracy (flesh tones, any weird color push) on this LG set. I don't feel like messing in "calibrators" complex settings like 10p white balance to make the picture look decent and I don't want to pay 200$ to get it calibrated in the service menu or whatever

And if anyone compared the two TV's would I be trading off great blacks for crappy ones even with the IPS panel but more natural colors? (Reviews seem to say blacks are a problem with these LG's)

Right now THIS is holding me back:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...mp;-Whites.htm

Oh and what is "Dynamic Color" setting on this set???
post #827 of 1509 Old 01-16-2011, 09:46 AM

I purchased a 42LE5400 from Walmart and had to return it due to severe flashlighting in the corners. Looking more closely at the floor model, I should have noticed this before purchase.

Thanks to this thread I learned about the panel lottery and eventually purchased a 42LE5350 from Costco with an IPS panel. What an improvement.

I find the backlighting on the 5350 a little distracting when watching in a dark bedroom but settings from Kinkling have helped a lot. I still have some tweaking to do.

One note for those considering the 5350 over the 5400: The remote does not have the backlight feature.
post #828 of 1509 Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 AM

This might go with all models, but I'll be talking about the 32" model. Has anyone been able to get 120 hz out of their TV? No matter what I do I can only get 60 hz.
post #829 of 1509 Old 01-16-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suikostinger View Post

This might go with all models, but I'll be talking about the 32" model. Has anyone been able to get 120 hz out of their TV? No matter what I do I can only get 60 hz.

When you turn on the true motion then you are all set. The tv will always say 60hz but it will be doing its image interpolation and create 1 extra frame per second which makes it 120hz. Just remember to adjust the true motion to your liking.
post #830 of 1509 Old 01-16-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suikostinger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOMEGAS View Post

When you turn on the true motion then you are all set. The tv will always say 60hz but it will be doing its image interpolation and create 1 extra frame per second which makes it 120hz. Just remember to adjust the true motion to your liking.

This is a common misconception. A 120hz panel will always be refreshing at 120hz, it's native resolution, regardless of whether or not TruMotion is turned on or off. You don't do anything to get 120hz, it's automatic. The info on the screen will always show a 60hz input, which is what all inputs will be. But because it's a 120hz panel, it's automatically doubling this input to the panel's native resolution at all times. Motion interpolation features such as TruMotion, when turned on, simply take some of these doubled frames and creates new ones, then adds them back into the picture. This is why motion interpolation tends to give you that soap opera effect.

If you don't like the look, just turn it off, or play around with it until you get the look you like. But you WILL be viewing 120hz at all times.
post #831 of 1509 Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM

Lot's of good reading in this forum, especially about the panels. So this past Saturday, I went to my local BB, and talked to the sales person, seemed fairly knowledgeable, but at this time, I know nothing about the panels, and he said nothing about them, not sure if he knew or not. On Saturday evening, I spent a bunch of time reading this particular forum, and now know how to check the type of panel. Called BB on Sunday, and had the salesperson who was kind enough to go check the 2 55 inch sets in stock, and both of them have the IPS panel, and he put one of them on hold for me. I plan to go there today after work, take a look at the box to confirm, and purchase. By the way, the 2 in stock had the 'w' in the pane numberl, one ended in fr, and the other in hr, so I plan on taking the later, not sure if that matters, so if any of you know, please respond. Also, the TV is $100 cheaper, as BB changes their prices/sales on Sundays, so that worked out for me. On Saturday, I could have bought the TV in a package which included a lower end LG blu ray player, and some type of movie card. For this week, as mentioned the price is $100 less, and include a free 15 inch TV. I could have got the TV a bit cheaper elsewhere, but with free delivery and hauling away my old TV, that was the deal breaker. My old set is a 52 inch Sony projector, it weighs about 200 pounds, and no one seems to want this type of set any more, so I'd have to pay someone to take it away, and have no idea what that would have cost. Looking forward to the new LG 55 inch with an IPS.
post #832 of 1509 Old 01-17-2011, 12:55 PM

After putting my old 720p 32" beside the new 5350 and not seeing a real noticeable quality difference on HD channels and since I am having lip sync issues with newest firmware I have decided to return the TV. I am sure if I played blueray it might be a lot better but I just expect a good bit more than a size diff. on hd stations compared to a 2006 model lcd... Though it was a very good 2006 model.
post #833 of 1509 Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, I've got my LE5400 passing AC3 5.1 audio through the TV's audio-out Toslink connection. I guess this is what that service guy did in this post.

To do this, you need to go into the service menu. I'm not going to tell you how because it's far from simple for this set but Google EZ-Adjust if you're interested. Once you have the service menu up, go to the AC3 EDID D/L page and click on the START button. Now exit from the service menu and power cycle your TV. Voila! 5.1 audio out.

There is also a PCM EDID D/L page just above the AC3 page if you want to go back to PCM.

CAUTION: I'm sure I don't have to tell you this but entering the service menu may void your warranty and pushing the wrong button at the wrong time can easily brick your TV.
Flave, thanks for this post.

I am using an older receiver with no hdmi inputs with this TV, now I have all my source components connected to the TV with hdmi & 1 Tos-link cable from the TV to the receiver, no need to change inputs on the receiver for different sources & no need for an optical cable from every source to the receiver.

Jordan
post #834 of 1509 Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I will be burning some blu-ray movies to my network as an MKV file. Can the 5400 play MKV files? If so, is anyone doing this? How well does it work for wireless or cat6 wired?
post #835 of 1509 Old 01-18-2011, 07:20 AM

Just a quick update related to my desire to purchase from BB. So as mentioned, per a call to my local BB, they put a set on hold for me. I went into the store yesterday, verified that it had the IPS panel and was ready to do the purchase. But here is where it gets complex, since I wanted to take advantage of the free delivery and recycling, I needed to get a TV from their warehouse. Needless to say, not what I wanted, and they even offered to give me free delivery of the TV in the store, but they would not be able to take my old TV, since it would not fit in a Geek Squad van. So now I must wait to get my new TV delivered, I told them if it does not have the correct product code indicating an IPS panel, that I would not take it. They were fine with that, so if I'm lucky, I'll get the 'right' TV when delivered, otherwise I'll be playing roulette with BB delivery services. Is this anyway to run an airline! I was also told that I would get a call from the warehouse the day before delivery, and I could ask them to check the code on the box, but I'm not really feeling good about their ability to do this task.
post #836 of 1509 Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 AM

I returned my 5350, then promptly noticed some slight lip sync issues on a station with my old TV, so now I'm wondering if it's the cable box... though I thought it was doing the same with the PC input... So, it was a nice IPS panel.... I decided to take it back but I wouldn't use my experience as one to help one decide for or against this.
post #837 of 1509 Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDDawg View Post

This is a common misconception. A 120hz panel will always be refreshing at 120hz, it's native resolution, regardless of whether or not TruMotion is turned on or off. You don't do anything to get 120hz, it's automatic. The info on the screen will always show a 60hz input, which is what all inputs will be. But because it's a 120hz panel, it's automatically doubling this input to the panel's native resolution at all times. Motion interpolation features such as TruMotion, when turned on, simply take some of these doubled frames and creates new ones, then adds them back into the picture. This is why motion interpolation tends to give you that soap opera effect.

If you don't like the look, just turn it off, or play around with it until you get the look you like. But you WILL be viewing 120hz at all times.

I was seeing 60hz AND a little screen tearing on certain games. Not enough to annoy me really, especially considering I got this TV for only 600 bucks.
post #838 of 1509 Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I have as well experienced lip sync issues on specific channels. My cable provider is Verizon (FIOS) and I am using the Verizon HD/DVR STB connecting via HDMI. What’s interesting is that I have the 47" LG in my living room, and a 42" Sharp in my bedroom both running HDMI and like STB's.

On the channel in question its very evident on the LG... But not at all on the Sharp. So is it really the cable box??? My lip sync issue was specific to just Discovery ID but after the most recent LG firmware upgrade, the issue has broadened to more channels. I understand that the firm ware upgrade has purportedly nothing to do with lip sync.

Last night the lip sync issue was quite bad, I booted my STD and the issue remained. I also adjusted my audio setting in the STB to Stereo from surround... Doesnt seem to make any diffrence.

Love the LG, but the lip sync issue is a pain in the arse.

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Samsung Blue-ray BD-P3600

Logitech Harmony Smart Control

Panamax M5100-PM

post #839 of 1509 Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

I will be burning some blu-ray movies to my network as an MKV file. Can the 5400 play MKV files? If so, is anyone doing this? How well does it work for wireless or cat6 wired?

I have tried playing back movies over USB, and this has been my experience:

YES, the set plays MKVs. But it seems to be very picky about format.

1. I have some DVDs I transcoded using Handbrake to h.264/AAC, and the 5400 says the audio track is not supported. The video plays back fine.

2. I have some anime 720p MKV files I downloaded that DO play back with flawless audio and video, but from what VLC says they also use h.264/AAC. I have no idea why these videos play but my own DVD rips do not.

3. If you want to play MKV files with subtitles, they will work, but you have to get around one issue: the set will only read subtitles in ANSI format. Most of the MKV tools out there automatically default to UTF, so the only way I've found to fix this is to (extract the subtitle track if it is contained in a single file), open it in Notepad and save as ANSI.

So, my question in the opposite direction: does anyone know exactly what you have to do to encode a DVD movie to get sound working on the 5400?
post #840 of 1509 Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post

I have as well experienced lip sync issues on specific channels. My cable provider is Verizon (FIOS) and I am using the Verizon HD/DVR STB connecting via HDMI. What’s interesting is that I have the 47" LG in my living room, and a 42" Sharp in my bedroom both running HDMI and like STB's.

On the channel in question its very evident on the LG... But not at all on the Sharp. So is it really the cable box??? My lip sync issue was specific to just Discovery ID but after the most recent LG firmware upgrade, the issue has broadened to more channels. I understand that the firm ware upgrade has purportedly nothing to do with lip sync.

Last night the lip sync issue was quite bad, I booted my STD and the issue remained. I also adjusted my audio setting in the STB to Stereo from surround... Doesnt seem to make any diffrence.

Love the LG, but the lip sync issue is a pain in the arse.

I'm using my LG 47LE5400 on FIOS with no lipsync issues. But I have only owned it a few days, so I may just have yet to see it

If you are using their DVR to playback recorded shows, it does occasionally lose sync (had this happen even with my old CRT). The only way to fix it is to hit pause, wait a couple seconds, and then press play again.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page