Official LG XXLE5400 Owners Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1509 Old 07-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I went to best buy today to check out the 42LD550 and was not too impressed.. did not seem to pop or look very sharp. I then saw the 42LE5400 LED set and noticed a huge improvement in quality, brightness and overall vividness. I just wanted to ask you guys who have had this 42LE5400 model now, how is it overall for everything from gaming, standard def, high def tv and bluray. I really did like this set and the Samsung 40C6300, both of which are way more than I originally wanted to spend..

One other VERY IMPORTANT thing I wanted to mention, when I was at best buy, I was fiddling with their 42LD550 kiosk model (the 46 inch was on the wall showing normal feed).. I decided to power off and then on the 550 just to see how long it takes etc and when it turned back on, the colors were jacked, it was like the board got fried and I was watching scrambled cable.. I turned it off and on about 4 more times and it was still screwed up permanently so this kind of scared me out of looking at LG..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1509 Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

also, is the bluray dropout problem still an issue? I really like what I am reading about this model being overall good in all areas

Can you guys with the 5400 comment on standard definition tv quality? Also, if you have used your 5400 for gaming on the 360, how is that? Do you absolutely have to switch to game mode (is game mode ugly?) because of lag, or is it find in standard mode etc..
post #123 of 1509 Old 07-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

just got back from best buy where I was playing with a 47 5400 for quite a while. They had the best buy bluray demo disk and for the clips that played in full screen/resolution it looked fantastic after tweaking some video setting and turning up the backlight to 100%. I am really considering this set but also compared it to the Samsung 40C650 non LED and that model really puts up a fight. I'm not crazy about samsung menus/options but the picture quality is quite good. The thing I dislike about the C650 is that ugly lip/wave on the bottom of the frame which is damn distracting.
post #124 of 1509 Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

can any of you guys comment on the quality of standard def tv on the 5400 vs Samsung 650 series sets?
post #125 of 1509 Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Not sure if it helps or not, but I just bought a Samsung 40C6300 the other day and its going back on tuesday to be replaced by a 42LE5400.

The samsung had a CN02 (read crap) panel due to the samsung lottery and it had the WORST flash lighting/bleeding I have ever seen on any LCD.. Ever.

Crossing my fingers this LG model isn' plagued by this issue.
post #126 of 1509 Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Most of the LE5400 models have IPS panels which are much better at viewing angles and do not show the flashlighting very much. However as I have recently learned not all LE5400 models have the IPS panels. There are some shipping with some sort of VA panel which have much worse viewing angles.
post #127 of 1509 Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

Most of the LE5400 models have IPS panels which are much better at viewing angles and do not show the flashlighting very much. However as I have recently learned not all LE5400 models have the IPS panels. There are some shipping with some sort of VA panel which have much worse viewing angles.

How do u tell if one does or not?
post #128 of 1509 Old 07-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

just got back from another best buy to view the 5400 and I was not as impressed today as I was previously.. The picture again seemed pretty hazy looking, the best I can describe it, while the Samsungs continued to look very crisp and smooth while running the hd feeds.

I think I might just hold off for a C650 when a sale comes around again.. I don't know if this LG 5400 is worth $200 more for a thin design that does not perform as well and has poor speakers. I tested out the speakers and they are pretty weird sounding..
post #129 of 1509 Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneyman View Post

also, is the bluray dropout problem still an issue? I really like what I am reading about this model being overall good in all areas

Can you guys with the 5400 comment on standard definition tv quality? Also, if you have used your 5400 for gaming on the 360, how is that? Do you absolutely have to switch to game mode (is game mode ugly?) because of lag, or is it find in standard mode etc..

I have the 55LE5400 and it has the blu-ray blink problem with the PS3 when output is set to 1080P/60. It will blink about 5-10 times an hour. Once in a while it will blink and loose video untill I switch inputs or turn off the TV and back on which indicates a handshaking problem. My older Westinghouse 1080P display had no problem with the PS3.

A workaround solution is to set the PS3 to output blu-ray playback to 1080P/24 in the video settings menu. For DVD playback, switch display setting to 1080i.

I have a Philips Blu-Ray Player that outputs 1080P/60 and has no problem with this TV. I haven't heard of any other blu-ray players having blink problems with this TV.

Standard def look good... very good.
post #130 of 1509 Old 07-24-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post

I'm looking at possibly getting the 47LE5400 to use as a computer monitor to replace another 47" through a replacement policy through BB. This is the only 47" monitor they carry so its likely they are going to give me this one.

That said, can somebody comment on how well this particular model would be for that use? E.g. is there no noticeable input lag, does it evenly 1:1 pixel scale, does it force overscan from hdmi, and finally does it support DPMS power save functions? (automatically turn off)

I have the 42" LE5400 and use it for mu TV and also as a monitor, I personally think it is great. I have used a Toshiba,Philip's and a Westinghouse. I favored the Westinghouse I had until I got this (the LG LE5400). I could not be happier.

As far as input lag I have not noticed anything,I use a DVI output to the HDMI input on the LG.

Also in regards to the fore mentioned "Power Save" I am not exactly sure of the time it takes for each but. After a set amount of time (I think based on the computers setting to turn off the monitor) the LG screen saver turns on , then after another few minutes the TV turns off automatically.
I hope this helps
post #131 of 1509 Old 07-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Hart View Post

I have the 55LE5400 and it has the blu-ray blink problem with the PS3 when output is set to 1080P/60. It will blink about 5-10 times an hour. Once in a while it will blink and loose video untill I switch inputs or turn off the TV and back on which indicates a handshaking problem. My older Westinghouse 1080P display had no problem with the PS3.

A workaround solution is to set the PS3 to output blu-ray playback to 1080P/24 in the video settings menu. For DVD playback, switch display setting to 1080i.

I have a Philips Blu-Ray Player that outputs 1080P/60 and has no problem with this TV. I haven't heard of any other blu-ray players having blink problems with this TV.

Standard def look good... very good.

I should ask if you have updated the software on your LG as when I bought my LG about 6 weeks ago it also flickered on me a couple times. But to be honest I cant even remember what source I was using.
I do know that I have watched Blu-Ray movies with my PS3 in 1080P/60 and also in 1080P/24 and I have not seen any flicker at all.

"SOFTWARE VERSION IS 06.00.04" that is the current version and was the second update I had to do.
This can be checked by pressing menu on the remote,followed by the RED button. From there you can check the current version or check for updates. I hope this helps.

Also I wonder if any other LG LE5400 owners have noticed when viewing movies or even TV shows that the picture appears so realistic that it almost looks like it is being viewed in person?
I don't know if that even makes sense or if its just me and my mind lol.
post #132 of 1509 Old 07-24-2010, 12:35 PM

I have the latest software version installed.

The blinking starts after the PS3 has been on a half an hour.

Could you tell me what brand of HDMI cable and the length you're using? I've tried several cables with the same results. All were v1.3 cables.
post #133 of 1509 Old 07-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

can you LG 5400 owners tell me how gaming lag is? Do you have to use game mode, is it slugglish/slow/delayed in regular mode or game mode, are colors/picture quality affected etc? I tried my bros Samsung A650 and gaming was just awful.. so I am looking to LG.
post #134 of 1509 Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneyman View Post

can you LG 5400 owners tell me how gaming lag is? Do you have to use game mode, is it slugglish/slow/delayed in regular mode or game mode, are colors/picture quality affected etc? I tried my bros Samsung A650 and gaming was just awful.. so I am looking to LG.

Hello I have played a couple games on my LG 42LE5400 and I have not personally noticed any lag. I have not even tried the gaming mode to be honest with you. Although in my picture settings i believe the "tru motion" (or whatever its called) is on high if that matters,but definitely no use of the "Game mode"
I hope this helps
post #135 of 1509 Old 07-27-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSQUAD2G View Post

Also I wonder if any other LG LE5400 owners have noticed when viewing movies or even TV shows that the picture appears so realistic that it almost looks like it is being viewed in person?
I don't know if that even makes sense or if its just me and my mind lol.

It is the True Motion feature. You can change the setting on that. I found it "freaked" me out a little too much, so I have it off.
post #136 of 1509 Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Just wanted to report back. My exchange of the Samsung 6300 for the LG 42LE5400 happened yesterday.

I can confirm the new LG is an IPS panel by the > shaped pixels and the push test not producing any waves. The LG panel is matte which I prefer due to lots of windows in my living room, and the backlight is MUCH more uniform then the horrible samsung CN panel. There is still some brigher areas along the border, particularly the top right corner, but its much easier to live with then the enormous softball blobs the samsung panel let through.

Only disappointments I have on the monitor are:
1) No pandora on NetCast yet advertised everywhere? What gives?
2) Analog audio-out (headphone) is not a line out, but actually seems to mix to 2 channel, so if used in my 2.1 receiver, rear speakers output center channel audio. Not a huge crisis though.

On the bright side:
Got the IPS panel I expected. Thank LG for not screwing me like samsung did.
post #137 of 1509 Old 07-28-2010, 04:19 PM

One week in with my new 55le5400. Not overly impressed the first few days. HD content from my Comcast source seemed hit or miss.
Some scenes just seemed ... I don't know....grainy.
I was getting pretty disappointed until I tried a Blu-ray disc. Man this thing really popped.
I have a couple a custom settings but like 'game' the best with Avatar, blu-ray. Almost was like being there, nice and crisp.
I am starting to suspect my crappy Comcast signal...I'm actually going to Directv on Aug 11 so things may hopefully improve

My other set is a 42" Vizio that has an excellent picture...My choice was between this LG and the 552 Vizio
post #138 of 1509 Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 AM

My previous television was an old 32in. JVC CRT bought in 1999, but I just purchased my first LCD tv this weekend. I opted for the LG 42LE5400 and am so far loving it....but the headphone output leaves a little to be desired. In the nighttime, I always wear wireless headphones while watching tv so I don't disturb the family. My old JVC tv had an analog audio out port (red/white) that I connected to my receiver's input. I could then just plug my headphones into the headphone jack on my receiver and enjoy the sound and it was independent of the tv's speakers.

With the 42LE5400 I notice a couple of annoyances with regards to using the headphone jack (would rather have analog output, but it is not included with this model).
1. When plugging in the headphones, I have to turn up the volume on the tv to around 90-95 (max is 100; normal level without headphone connected is around 25-35) to get decent sound. This is not a problem while wearing the headphones, but if I just unplug the headphone jack and forget to lower the tv volume, the whole house is in for a rude awakening.
2. While the headphones are plugged in, the tv speakers are disabled. This means, I cannot have the headphones plugged in and allow another family member to hear the sound from the tv speakers. It's either one or the other. Annoying.
3. I was watching a Netflix streaming movie and the sound would just stop for about 10 seconds, but the video is still playing without interruption. I realize this might be a network problem, but it is just odd that the sound would stop, but the video would keep going. You would think that the video would stop, but the sound would keep going if it was truly a network problem.

Anybody else experiencing these issues?
post #139 of 1509 Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post

I did an input lag test, this series of monitors is slower than many others:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18830597
The short of it is that my 47LE5400 is consistently 99ms slower than traditional analog monitors.
This isn't that far off from a measurement done by somebody else in that thread who reported the 55LE5400 at 82ms.

I'd appreciate however if somebody else could test it as well to confirm my results as I am in the process of deciding whether or not I should get a different TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkusa View Post

Wow, that's MASSIVE lag. Was seriously considering this TV but the lag is a deal breaker for me since I mainly play games with strict timing like IIDX, DDR, and Pop'n. My current TV is an old Vizio and that has around 50ms lag which is hard enough playing with. Can't imagine playing anything with input lag worse than that.

I did some tests with a couple of these (37LE5300, 32LE5400 & 42LE5400) and have come to a more definitive conclusion about the input lag.
It appears LG is shipping these TV's with 2 different panels. If you happen to get one with an IPS panel then the input lag is pretty low (around 50ms). However if you get one with the other panel (appears to be some type of VA panel) the input lag is considerably higher at around 85ms.
You can tell by looking at the pixel structure on the panel closely. The lcd pixels are chevron ">" shaped on the IPS panels whereas they are rectangles on the VA type.
I was looking for a smaller sized display so I am unsure what the situation with the panels is on the larger models. I had exchanged one for another after discovering the one I initially purchased had the inferior panel.
post #140 of 1509 Old 08-02-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

I did some tests with a couple of these (37LE5300, 32LE5400 & 42LE5400) and have come to a more definitive conclusion about the input lag.
It appears LG is shipping these TV's with 2 different panels. If you happen to get one with an IPS panel then the input lag is pretty low (around 50ms). However if you get one with the other panel (appears to be some type of VA panel) the input lag is considerably higher at around 85ms.
You can tell by looking at the pixel structure on the panel closely. The lcd pixels are chevron ">" shaped on the IPS panels whereas they are rectangles on the VA type.
I was looking for a smaller sized display so I am unsure what the situation with the panels is on the larger models. I had exchanged one for another after discovering the one I initially purchased had the inferior panel.

Just checked my 55" LE5400 and I have the > style pixel shape, I can also confirm that lag is very low especially in "game mode" the good thing about game mode on this tv is that a lot of the settings are still available for tweaking making for great picture quality.
post #141 of 1509 Old 08-02-2010, 07:05 PM

How exactly do you check the pixel shape? I just got the 47" and everything is looking good so far.
post #142 of 1509 Old 08-02-2010, 07:16 PM

I've read this entire thread. I'm looking at getting this tv vs the Samsung un40c6300. I have heard the Samsung has major flashlighting issues and it sounds like from this thread I need a 42le5400 with an IPS panel for better viewing angles. Is there any way to insure that I get one of these?
post #143 of 1509 Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 AM

There are several ways of determining the pixel shape.
I determined mine by using a magnifying glass held about an inch away from the surface of the screen. At some of the stores they have some Sharp quattron models setup with a magnifying glass to allow you to see the yellow pixels. You could try using that if the store allows you to.
You can also take a macro shot with a camera with this capability.
IPS panels don't discolor and only have a very small wave effect when you push on the screen.
I don't know how to determine what panel it has by the serial number or any other markings on a label.
post #144 of 1509 Old 08-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Been looking into a 47LE5400, and am concerned that some people are having alot of lag when playing games with them. I am wondering would I be better off with another set? I was originally torn between this and a Sony KDL46XBR9, but the viewing angles and colors seem to be a bit better on the LG.

I mostly play Xbox360 games either FPS or sports games.
post #145 of 1509 Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiCo View Post

Been looking into a 47LE5400, and am concerned that some people are having alot of lag when playing games with them. I am wondering would I be better off with another set? I was originally torn between this and a Sony KDL46XBR9, but the viewing angles and colors seem to be a bit better on the LG.

I mostly play Xbox360 games either FPS or sports games.

Lag is important to me as well. X360 FPS's are the majority of what I play.
post #146 of 1509 Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM

If you are able to get one with an IPS panel then the lag on game mode is more than acceptable.
The Samsung and Sony's typically have higher input lag.
post #147 of 1509 Old 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM

And the IPS panel seems to be a lottery thing? If the display model in the store is one, is it a good chance their whole shipment is?
post #148 of 1509 Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

are any of you guys with the LG 5400 experiencing lip sync issues? I played a bluray concert on the set at best buy and it was absolutely out of sync. ALSO can you 5400 owners comment on the grainyness/pixelization that I saw on the set when viewing the bluray demo disk.. the film clips that filled the entire screen looked great, but bluray clips that had bars looked awful and were very pixelized/fuzzy looking.. any comment on this? Also, how is standard def viewing on the set?
post #149 of 1509 Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Has anyone tried the AN-WL100W wireless 1080p adapter kit to fix lip sync issues when using HDMI? It seems this would bypass the sets HDMI and use the USB with the LG WiFi USB adapter. This is a costly fix, but has there are pros as you can attach everything to this and put the TV just about anywhere.
post #150 of 1509 Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 AM

Currently I am frustrated with my 42LE5400. The TV is excellent and does TV/Movies/internet all perfectly.

The problem is input lag, I was wondering if anyone in the thread has experience with both the LG 42LE5400 and the sharp 40LE810UN and how the input lags compare?

The input lag of the 42LE5400 is slight but unfortunately noticable. It is small enough that I can live while playing Smash Bros. or mario Kart wii but when I play dance dance revolution when I step on beat I get "great" not "perfect" and even if I only slightly miss the beat I get a full "miss"

Before you ask, I am in game mode ont he composite inputs with the input labeled PC or Game, I have tried both.

-DO
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page