Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1509 Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

kriegs do you have the backlight all the way up? That's the only time I see flashlighting. If not I would exchange it for another.

New member here and this thread caught my attention. Just purchased the 55LE5400 and overall I'm extremely happy with the picture quality, however I'm no expert on any of this stuff at all, just needed a new TV and couldn't beat $1600 sale price. I've noticed this "flashlighting" effect as well. I have my backlighting at 45, and brightness at 60. I've tried multiple settings and anything above about 40 or so on the backlighting tends to give that effect. It's SOMEWHAT noticeable below 40, but not much. Probably nothing to worry about, and I assume it's somewhat typical. True?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1509 Old 08-21-2010, 05:20 AM

earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the video would drop out when running a 1080p feed on HDMI. Has anyone come to a resolution on this problem. I am now on my 4th le5400 and the 3rd and 4th both had this problem. The picture quality on the 4th is perfect including no flashlighting/clouding so I am hoping this video drop has some sort of fix.

called LG and under there recommendation I exchanged the BD590 blueray player and the problem remained.

-DO
post #183 of 1509 Old 08-21-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

kriegs do you have the backlight all the way up? That's the only time I see flashlighting. If not I would exchange it for another.

Backlight on ISF 1 is at 50. It is only noticeable at night and with anything black inn the corners. All the light pours in from all 4 corners towards center. It is a lot better than the clouding on my samsung. Not sure if it is worth returning as It seems to be a crapshoot.
post #184 of 1509 Old 08-22-2010, 09:58 AM

I just bought a 42LE5300 and need some input from current owners of either the 5300 or 5400 seeing as there so close. It's a great tv but I do have a couple issues. I use it for a PC monitor/Gaming. It's connected via HDMI, Input on the TV is set to PC.

1. The reds are very dark out of this, I tried setting different colour temperatures, tint, etc. But compared to my samsung monitor it's night and day. A great example is MSN messenger or any red font you select is usually that brighter red, but on the LG panel it's very dark, almost maroon. Has someone done any colour tests to see if it produces them properly?

2. There seems to be a good amount of back light bleeding from the panel that is noticeable at night and on dark game images/movies. I would expect some to be normal but when does it become too much and should be looked at? Some corners shed more light then others.

3. Curious here but read a lot about the different panel you can get one being ISP? what is the main advantage or disadvantage of this? and is there a way to tell by serial number or on the box before you open it up?

Thanks
post #185 of 1509 Old 08-22-2010, 07:07 PM

I purchased the 42LE5400 last weekend and have come across a couple of the issues that have been mentioned in this thread already. Right now I think I'm at the point of returning it and just going with something else.

I currently have:
-Flashlighting that gets worse when the TV has been on longer in the upper left corner
-HDMI connection loss for about a second every once in awhile where I lose picture and sound.
-Sometimes get tinny sound from the speakers. This has happened in a video game and also on a blu-ray.

Should I even bother exchanging this and trying again with the same model? I like the picture quality for the most part, but those issues are not something I am willing to deal with after spending over $1000 on this TV. After reading through some of this thread, it seems like other people are coming across similar issues. So I'm just not sure if it's worth exchanging it first to see if I have better luck.
post #186 of 1509 Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 AM

banzaiwolfe I would exchange the set for the sound issue and the flashlighting you have.
As far as the 1080p video dropouts over HDMI, try outputting the video at 1080/24p. The problem appears to be isolated to 1080/60p video.
post #187 of 1509 Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM

g_jamie try going through the isf video calibration wizard in the menu. It should correct the red colour problem.
post #188 of 1509 Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 AM

I did some quick reading on the 1080p60 vs 1080p24 and I was wondering where I would see a negative impact would be using 1080p24 from the blueray player.

the blueray player does netflix also, would this be effected?

If this limitation exists in the TV where down the road might I need 1080p60 and not be able to use it.

I apologize for being vague in the question but we are officially stretching my video knowledge.

-DO
post #189 of 1509 Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM

I can't seem to get my 42LE5400 to pass the 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound to my receiver from an HDMI source. I have the BD590 and my HD cablebox going in via HDMI, and I have optical audio going out to my receiver.

Both the 590 and cablebox deliver the full sound when directly in the receiver. Also, the TV puts out full 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound to the receiver when the source is the cable coax (on an HD DTV channel) or the ethernet RJ45 (Vudu). And the optical cable tested ok.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Is there some setting that I'm missing?
Is this a design defect?

LG said that I have the latest firmware, so they are sending someone out.
post #190 of 1509 Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detailoriented View Post

I did some quick reading on the 1080p60 vs 1080p24 and I was wondering where I would see a negative impact would be using 1080p24 from the blueray player.

the blueray player does netflix also, would this be effected?

If this limitation exists in the TV where down the road might I need 1080p60 and not be able to use it.

I apologize for being vague in the question but we are officially stretching my video knowledge.

-DO

I had the same problem went thru 4-5 blueray players. LG said it was the player. I get BB to exchange my blueray for a sony player and I have no dropouts and 1080p24 or 1080p60. There must be some incompatibility with LG blueray players and their TVs go figure.
post #191 of 1509 Old 08-23-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I know some of you have had issues, but I have a ps3 going 1080p/24 and it works flawlessly. No dropouts of any kind. If you guys happen to have issues when playing the ps3 make sure you have your settings right. I have also labeled the input to pc (not sure if that matters or not but someone suggested it so I have tried it and I like it so far) The only issue I have ever had was that my first set had blues that weren't working, now it seems I have a very good set. For a couple hundred bucks I would suggest buying extended warranty for anything this expensive just to cover your butt. I do have to say that I've gotten more compliments on this tv's picture quality than any other set I've owned and many have commented that it's the best they've seen. Overall...very very happy, I wouldn't exchange this set for anything else.
post #192 of 1509 Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 PM

I got my 42LE5400 set exchanged for another...this may actually be worse. I might just be extremely picky but every time the screen has black at the top my eyes are drawn to those bright spots. Seems to be in both upper corners this time, unfortunately. When there isn't black at the top, the picture is pretty amazing.

I'm not sure what to do. Maybe it shouldn't, but those extra bright spots just really annoy me.
post #193 of 1509 Old 08-26-2010, 10:12 PM

I am not getting any sound from this tv, when playing mkv files. (I believe its an DTS sound format)

Are there any work around with this issue?

Thanks.
post #194 of 1509 Old 08-27-2010, 03:26 AM

I believe the tv can only decode AC3 audio from mkv files.
post #195 of 1509 Old 08-27-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg6035 View Post

Been playing around some more with settings and came up with these. Every TV is different but these look great on mine.

Picture Mode Expert 1
Backlight 60
Contrast 90
Brightness 55
H sharpness 65
V sharpness 65
Color 55
Tint G2

Expert Controls

Dynamic Contrast Low
Noise Reduction Off
Dig. Noise Reduct. Off
Black Level Low
Real Cinema On
Color Gamut Wide
Edge Enhancer Off
Color Temp Medium
Gamma 2.4

Try them out and see what you think. Not sure about Edge Enhancer. What does that do exactly?

After having this TV for a week or so I thought I would chime in. I have played with the settings and mine are close to the above except for a couple settings that I tweaked for personal preference (more backlight and more TruMotion) mainly because I watch sports. I did end up getting a Monoprice Wall mount that tilts and is ultra low profile. Works great. I like the TV along with this wall mount (mounted above my fireplace). Yes there are some minor issues with Lip Sync with DVDs and Flash-lighting. But overall I like it. I chose this one because it is thin, it had more component ports than the Samsung, is 55" and the price was perfect. I love the brilliance of the colors, the clarity and tweakability (if that is a word :-)). I think the LipSync can be fixed, I haven't had time to work with my Blu-ray player yet as I think this is where the problem might be not sure though. The Flash-lighting doesn't bug me, like I said I mostly watch sports so I don't even notice it. But, thank you MG for your settings, I think now that I have tweaked with your settings and mine I really like this TV now.
post #196 of 1509 Old 08-29-2010, 12:12 AM

I'm hearing a lot about the audio sync issues. It seems this occurs for sounds coming out of the tv itself, whether through its speakers or sound systems hooked directly to the tv. Has anyone tried directing the sound from their DVD/BluRay players to a receiver instead and using external speakers attached to that receiver?

I wonder if the audio sync will go away by not having the sound go through the tv at all.

Thanks,

Alan
post #197 of 1509 Old 08-29-2010, 01:11 AM

Hmmm , guess LG has plenty of their own problems.
post #198 of 1509 Old 08-29-2010, 02:01 PM

Just got this TV -- big upgrade Sony 27" CRT previous.

I've noticed the drop out issue with the PS3 -- will try fixing shortly, as well as the flash light issue -- which eventually I will try to adjust/calibrate to minimize.

Probably a stupid question but here goes.
My current hook up is HMDI 1 is my cable box, and HDMI2 is the PS3. I'd like to be able to switch from input to the other, however when either device is the active one, it seems the remote doesn't work. What am I doing wrong or don't have setup correctly?
post #199 of 1509 Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 PM

I must admit , today while at a retail location I had the chance to take a close look at the 55" 540 and was very impressed with the overall picture. I had the salesman give me the microscope for the Sharp and it was clearly an IPS display. I even asked for the remote and changed the mode off of Vivid or whatever it is that LG calls it. Great off angle viewing and it had a very natural and crisp picture. I'm a huge Samsung fan and the 6300 next to it didn't come close. It's the first time that in my eyes the Samsung WASNT the best I seen when compared to everything else in the store.

Since Wally World sells this tv I may have to consider giving it a try. Gotta love Walmarts 90 day return policy.

So how are these IPS panels at flash lighting and clouding ?
post #200 of 1509 Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
After reading this whole thread I am very hesitant to buy this TV. How can I tell for sure if my display will have the IPS panel? When i push on it, it wont wave? Does anybody have these dropping issues with a Sony Blu Ray Player? That is what I currently have. I just want to make sure I get the IPS panel because I do a lot of gaming with the 360 and would like minimal lag. Thanks for any help. Right now Wal Mart has it for $1,788.00 Is this a good deal or should I wait for it to drop?

Would it be wise to just buy a 54" Pansonic G25 plasma? How much better is the PQ on this LG LED?
post #201 of 1509 Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 PM

Start reading EVERY tv thread on here. They all have problems. No such thing as the perfect tv. It's a matter of deciding which problems you can live with ?

Also funny thing about Walmarts description , they claim in the specs that the 5400 has 178 degree viewing angle ;

Then again they claim that about everyone except Samsung. ....... lol
post #202 of 1509 Old 08-30-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post

I must admit , today while at a retail location I had the chance to take a close look at the 55" 540 and was very impressed with the overall picture. I had the salesman give me the microscope for the Sharp and it was clearly an IPS display. I even asked for the remote and changed the mode off of Vivid or whatever it is that LG calls it. Great off angle viewing and it had a very natural and crisp picture. I'm a huge Samsung fan and the 6300 next to it didn't come close. It's the first time that in my eyes the Samsung WASNT the best I seen when compared to everything else in the store.

Since Wally World sells this tv I may have to consider giving it a try. Gotta love Walmarts 90 day return policy.

So how are these IPS panels at flash lighting and clouding ?

Are you sure about Wal-Marts 90 day return policy?
post #203 of 1509 Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared2442 View Post

Are you sure about Wal-Marts 90 day return policy?

Yes , I asked a rep at both Walmart and Sams. They both told me it was 90 days , and I was asking about a 55"
post #204 of 1509 Old 08-30-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:

After reading this whole thread I am very hesitant to buy this TV. How can I tell for sure if my display will have the IPS panel? When i push on it, it wont wave? Does anybody have these dropping issues with a Sony Blu Ray Player? That is what I currently have. I just want to make sure I get the IPS panel because I do a lot of gaming with the 360 and would like minimal lag. Thanks for any help. Right now Wal Mart has it for $1,788.00 Is this a good deal or should I wait for it to drop?

Would it be wise to just buy a 54" Pansonic G25 plasma? How much better is the PQ on this LG LED?

I'd say that almost any of these being sold right now have the IPS panels. I just picked up mine a few weeks ago from BB and it's the IPS panel. There's some flashlighting but it's really nothing that I can't live with. The picture quality is amazing. And BB matched Walmart's price of $1628...guess their "sale" price went up!
post #205 of 1509 Old 08-31-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOhh View Post

I'd say that almost any of these being sold right now have the IPS panels. I just picked up mine a few weeks ago from BB and it's the IPS panel. There's some flashlighting but it's really nothing that I can't live with. The picture quality is amazing. And BB matched Walmart's price of $1628...guess their "sale" price went up!

Yeah, its 1788 at wal mart and 2,000 at best buy. Amazon has the Panasonic G25 for 1,400 might just grab one of those.
post #206 of 1509 Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Yeah, its 1788 at wal mart and 2,000 at best buy. Amazon has the Panasonic G25 for 1,400 might just grab one of those.

What exactly does plasma prices have to do with someone that wants LED ? Are you just stating the obvious.
post #207 of 1509 Old 09-01-2010, 07:50 AM

I'll just add my opinion on this set. For 2 years I always said i would get a Samsung as their colors and black levels looked amazing on their LED sets. I went to get one of their 8000 3D sets but didnt want to pay that much as I know TV's will be out soon that will do 3D w/o wearing glasses. So I started researching the next TV, Sony or LG. After doing reading on the LE5400, I went to the store and looked it at for an hour then decided I was taking one home. My main use for it right now is a PC monitor and playing videos, also Photoshop. This set is AMAZING as a monitor and SD and HD looks awesome! I only have used it for an hour or so, but my first impression is im pretty darn happy with it!

I have not used my PS3 or bluray yet and the only con I see right now is the blacks aren't as black as the samsungs but that was out of the box and alot of the levels at 100. Adjusting the picture settings have helped alot, and also the "Deep Black" setting on low helps

I'm not exactly what is considered flashlighting but on a complete black screen it is a uniform slightly lit black, but not uneven or brighter corners or anything else. I can def live with that and i'm pretty happy with it so far!
post #208 of 1509 Old 09-01-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparis99 View Post

I'll just add my opinion on this set. For 2 years I always said i would get a Samsung as their colors and black levels looked amazing on their LED sets. I went to get one of their 8000 3D sets but didnt want to pay that much as I know TV's will be out soon that will do 3D w/o wearing glasses. So I started researching the next TV, Sony or LG. After doing reading on the LE5400, I went to the store and looked it at for an hour then decided I was taking one home. My main use for it right now is a PC monitor and playing videos, also Photoshop. This set is AMAZING as a monitor and SD and HD looks awesome! I only have used it for an hour or so, but my first impression is im pretty darn happy with it!

I have not used my PS3 or bluray yet and the only con I see right now is the blacks aren't as black as the samsungs but that was out of the box and alot of the levels at 100. Adjusting the picture settings have helped alot, and also the "Deep Black" setting on low helps

I'm not exactly what is considered flashlighting but on a complete black screen it is a uniform slightly lit black, but not uneven or brighter corners or anything else. I can def live with that and i'm pretty happy with it so far!

Sounds like you found a winner. If you had bad flash lighting it would of been very obvious on a black screen. Flash lighting is just the edge lit LEDs bleeding , they look like a flash light pattern of light , V shaped.

I agree on the black levels , I don't think the LG will compare due to the matte screen. Also I don't think the colors look as rich because of Sammys UC panel. That said the Samsung has more glare than the LG , so it's a trade off. Also many feel the Samsung is over saturated and looks like a soap opera so to speak. Not natural. The LG looks much more natural. I think the LG looks good too , it's a give and take . Also it is probably an IPS panel and off angle viewing is fantastic on the IPS. Samsung doesnt make an LCD of any type that will compare at off angle viewing. Somewhere between the two is what I would love but it doesn't exsist. Given the current choices you made a great decision. If I buy an LCD it's between those two.

Congrats and enjoy !
post #209 of 1509 Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 AM

If I switch to the HDMI with has the PS3, my TV's remote stops working. I tried different cables and different HDMI ports. I am not sure that the buttons on the tv bezel is working.

I've also tried resetting both of them.

Any one know what is causing this?
post #210 of 1509 Old 09-04-2010, 09:50 PM

Is anyone hearing a faint high pitch sound coming from the TV at all times when the tv speakers are turned on?
I can only get it to stop by turning the speakers off from the menu.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page