Official LG XXLE5400 Owners Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 1509 Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my computer hooked up with HDMI... Can anyone tell me why the TruMotion is unavailable? Watching movies on my PC thru this TV would probably look better if i could turn it on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1509 Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 PM

Just got my LG 47LE5400. While I'm generally pleased with it, I can't seem to get it to pick up the local broadcast HD channels that Comcast carries (this is w/o going thru the setup-box). I took a Sony 46HX701 side-by-side, connected via a splitter also w/o the setup-box, and it picked up quite a few HD channels. Anyone has any idea why the LG can't? Is there any setting I can tweak to enable it?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Edit: Actually, both the LG & Sony picked up the same number of Analog channels, but Sony picked up a lot more digital channels (55) compared to only 20 by the LG. Some of these differences are the HD broadcast channels (ch. 231-245), but some are in SD (ch. 246-267). Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks!!!
post #213 of 1509 Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 AM

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I would really appreciate your help with this.

I have the 47LE5400 and it's impossible to play DDR on this TV. We have a brand new Wii, brand new game, and brand new mat. They all work fine on our old TV. When we try to play DDR (we tried it on a PS2 system as well) we can't get the game system to sync with what is displayed on the TV screen. There is a very noticeable lag. When you step on the mat at the right time, it doesn't register and you fail the game.

Someone suggested turning off the TruMotion. I tried this, and it didn't help at all. Someone from LG suggested "set the frames per second on the video console to 24Hz." I looked through every menu on the Wii and I did not find any way to change the FPS.

Does anyone know what I can do to the TV to make this game work on it?
post #214 of 1509 Old 09-08-2010, 10:08 AM

I'm not an expert but TruMotion and refresh rate have NOTHING to do with the input lag... I think on certain settings your TV takes whats coming in, processes it and adjusts things, then displays it... just long enough to notice lag with interactive things..

Try the game mode on the TV, that supposedly just kinda display what's coming in the input to reduce that input lag...

I may be wrong but at least Try Game mode (where you select standard, vivid, etc)
post #215 of 1509 Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM

WomanToBlame: Detailoriented indicated that connecting component cables to the Wii and setting the resolution to 480p lowered his input lag.
You should also set the input the Wii is connected into to Game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detailoriented View Post

As for the input lag I was seeing on the Wii I found alot of it is from the TV processing 480i. I bought a set of Wii component cables and configured the Wii for 480p and the lag dropped to a very small amount that makes even dance dance revolution playable (the margin between perfect and great is now very small but if you dance perfect you still get perfect)

-DO

post #216 of 1509 Old 09-10-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post

Well if you connect your PC/game console to HDMI port one, and then re-label it as a PC port, you get somewhere around 64ms.

I tried this and there is still serious lag for me.

I'm sending audio from my Blu-Ray to my receiver directly through optical, meanwhile sending picture to the TV through HDMI (my receiver doesn't have HDMI).

The lag is such that I can definitely notice sync issues when people are talking, doors slamming, etc.

Combine this with the flashlighting effect on the bottom of the screen and I'm really bummed out. The colors on this TV are AMAZING but the flashlighting plus the input lag are killing me.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is an IPS panel since the pixels look more > as opposed to rectangles.

I'm doing an exchange with Amazon to hopefully get one with less of a flashlighting issue, though I really don't know how to solve the lag issue since I need surround sound. Outputting the digital from the TV only allows stereo...
post #217 of 1509 Old 09-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avstay View Post

Just got my LG 47LE5400. While I'm generally pleased with it, I can't seem to get it to pick up the local broadcast HD channels that Comcast carries (this is w/o going thru the setup-box). I took a Sony 46HX701 side-by-side, connected via a splitter also w/o the setup-box, and it picked up quite a few HD channels. Anyone has any idea why the LG can't? Is there any setting I can tweak to enable it?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Edit: Actually, both the LG & Sony picked up the same number of Analog channels, but Sony picked up a lot more digital channels (55) compared to only 20 by the LG. Some of these differences are the HD broadcast channels (ch. 231-245), but some are in SD (ch. 246-267). Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks!!!

Has anyone tried connecting (w/o the setup box) to the Antenna/Cable In coaxial input? Do you get all the digital channels you expect? Or I'm the only one not using HDMI (since my setup box doesn't have it and I'm too cheap to pay for it)?
post #218 of 1509 Old 09-10-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avstay View Post

Has anyone tried connecting w/o the setup box? Do you get all the digital channels? Or I'm the only one not using HDMI (since my setup box doesn't have it and I'm too cheap to pay for it)?

I connected the TV straight to my coaxial cable without a cable box and it picked up all the digital channels.

With input set to TV, go to Menu/Channel/Auto Tuning. After you have let Auto-Tune run its course, go to Menu/Channel/Channel Edit. On my TV there are four tabs: DTV, TV, Cable DTV, and Cable TV. Most of my channels went to either Cable DTV or Cable TV.
post #219 of 1509 Old 09-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post

I connected the TV straight to my coaxial cable without a cable box and it picked up all the digital channels.

With input set to TV, go to Menu/Channel/Auto Tuning. After you have let Auto-Tune run its course, go to Menu/Channel/Channel Edit. On my TV there are four tabs: DTV, TV, Cable DTV, and Cable TV. Most of my channels went to either Cable DTV or Cable TV.

Yeah, that's what I did multiple times, but it picked up far fewer Cable DTV than my other TV, but the same number of Cable TV.
post #220 of 1509 Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 AM

Carl Sagan: the 64ms the Alphawolf was mentioning is input lag not sync lag. He was indicating a delay between the game console and the TV NOT the lag between audio and video. So his fix will not affect your problem

Unfortunately I have no real experience with the audio lip sync issue so I have little to offer for help, good luck.

-DO
post #221 of 1509 Old 09-13-2010, 10:43 AM

I have a 47le5400 I just got a few days ago.

My issue with it is that when I change channels from an HD channel to a non HD channel (or other way around) I get that fuzzy dots screen and then the channel comes in. TV also makes that click sound like when it comes on/off. It also does it when I change to one of those brighthouse channels.

Im using it with a Scientific Atlanta 4250HDC. Not sure if this is normal for this tv. My other LG lcd tv does not do this.
post #222 of 1509 Old 09-13-2010, 10:55 AM

I seem to have a lack of advanced picture options. For instance, I cannot change TruMotion to on, Dynamic contrast, noise and digital noise reduction, Real Cinema, Gamut, edge enhancer, etc (they are all greyed out)... Anyone have an idea why?

BTW: im using Expert 1 custom settings
post #223 of 1509 Old 09-13-2010, 11:44 AM

aparis99 those options will be disabled if you labeled the input as either PC or Game.
post #224 of 1509 Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

so has anyone ventured to professionally calibrate this set yet?
post #225 of 1509 Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 AM

Picked up a 55LE5400 over the weekend...This is my second LG TV, my man cave TV is a 47LH40 which im very happy with. So after doing some comparisons in the store and partial to LG TV's i made the jump to LED and im very happy with the picture, sports really pop on it as this was the main reason for buying it. I am disappointed with the flashlight effect that is present in the lower left and right corners. Seems like this is a common problem with large screen LED TV's and if your one of the lucky ones to get one with perfect screen uniformity your in the minority. I am wondering how far i should go in trying to get LG to warranty it and replace it, or will i just get stuck with another one with the same problem...
post #226 of 1509 Old 09-15-2010, 08:32 AM

I picked up a 32LE5400 a couple weeks ago on a great bargain, and thought I'd post the few things I've noticed:

Flashlighting is present in the lower right but only visible on black and/or with very high brightness. I use auto energy-saver to reduce the brightness based on ambient light, so I do not notice it even on letterboxed video content.

TruMotion is totally sick. I am in love with the smoothness of the animation of all my video. Not just TV but also netflix and networked video files get the smoothing. I watched Yojimbo (Akira Kurosawa film) on Netflix and I could have sworn it was filmed last year. Occasionally files with odd frame rates (I have a few star trek episodes running at 27fps, I have no idea why) will show some judder with TruMotion on, so watch out for that.

One annoying thing I've noticed is there is no sleep timer button on the remote. You have to set it from the Quick Menu. And the Quick Menu is completely unavailable during Netflix or DLNA play. So if you want to put Netflix on a sleep timer, you have to do it BEFORE you start the Netflix application.

The DLNA capability is pretty good, but I have found some fairly large bugs with it:
1) it does not respect the pixel aspect ratio specified in a file's metadata, so if you have any anamorphic video files (Handbrake likes to make them), they will be stretched with no way to fix them other than reencode (believe me, I spent many hours looking for an easier solution).
2) It appears that any movie with AAC audio that is longer than 100 minutes will show "Unsupported Audio" and the sound will not play. A strange bug indeed, but a critical one.
3) Does not display soft subtitles embedded in MKV files. MKV support is the one area the TV beats an Xbox360 as a DLNA extender (and the xbox doesn't have problem 1&2 above, or anything of similar severity), but alas, most of my MKV files are encoded that way because they have soft subs.

Overall I'm happy with it, though very much looking forward to a firmware update that might improve DLNA playback.
post #227 of 1509 Old 09-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question: Do all 32LE5400's have an IPS Panel. I have the LG 32LE5300 and i did not get one with an IPS Panel. I might return it and get a Panasonic L32X2. I found a great price on newegg for the 32LE5400 lower then what i payed for my 32LE5300 and get that instead...So what do u guys think?
post #228 of 1509 Old 09-17-2010, 05:02 PM

HDgeneration Actually I was looking into this exact issue. It seems with the 32" sizes all 32LE5300 units have the VA panel and all 32LE5400 units have the IPS panel.
post #229 of 1509 Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

HDgeneration Actually I was looking into this exact issue. It seems with the 32" sizes all 32LE5300 units have the VA panel and all 32LE5400 units have the IPS panel.

If you are correct then i might actually return my LG 32LE5300 this weekend and order the LG 32LE5400 from newegg they have a good deal on that set and i hope that they have that same price for this weekend. I really hope you are right about the 32LE5400 having IPS Panels.
post #230 of 1509 Old 09-17-2010, 07:03 PM

For all the LE5400 owners can you check on the back of your TV and check for the serial code to tell if you can see if your LG has an IPS Panel. The code looks something like this.

AUSWLNR= IPS
My LG 5300 has a Code like this AUSDLUR= other.

Someone named Robin came up with this on the LG 5300 Thread.
post #231 of 1509 Old 09-17-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgeneration View Post

For all the LE5400 owners can you check on the back of your TV and check for the serial code to tell if you can see if your LG has an IPS Panel. The code looks something like this.

AUSWLNR= IPS
My LG 5300 has a Code like this AUSDLUR= other.

Someone named Robin came up with this on the LG 5300 Thread.

I have the 32le5400 and my code is AUSWLNR. I bought this set for a whopping 601 dollars at newegg.com. I have not noticed any lag at all. It's still there for around that price....i checked around 10AM this morning.
post #232 of 1509 Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 PM

I know my eyes are very picky but I'm watching a blue ray disc right now and is it suppose to be "grainy" or "staticy" in the background....it's hard to explain. The picture is great but it seems to me that it looks like it has a little bit of white snow in the background. Also I can't see how people don't play these tvs on "vivid". I tried the poster from the first pages settings and just can't do it. I gotta have my tv bright. :/
post #233 of 1509 Old 09-18-2010, 03:09 PM

I just bought a new 32le5400 and I want to make sure that the one I got is an IPS panel. I read through the thread already, but I just want to be sure before I open it. My code is "AUSWLNR". Thanks...I didn't post on here in a long time. Any replies are appreciated...Thanks.
post #234 of 1509 Old 09-18-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMaDnEsS View Post

I just bought a new 32le5400 and I want to make sure that the one I got is an IPS panel. I read through the thread already, but I just want to be sure before I open it. My code is "AUSWLNR". Thanks...I didn't post on here in a long time. Any replies are appreciated...Thanks.

I think all the 32's are IPS. The code you have (from what i've read and going with what I have) means you have an IPS.
post #235 of 1509 Old 09-18-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMaDnEsS View Post

I think you have a IPS panel, open it up and check to make sure. Look at the TV carefully from both angles and use a camera to take a close up picture of the screen and zoom in on your camera and see if the pixel shapes are like this <<< chevron shaped.
post #236 of 1509 Old 09-18-2010, 06:43 PM

For the 42LE5400:

IPS Panel = AUSWLJR

VA = AUSDLNR

This is in the number after the Serial # that starts 42LE5400-UC.AUSWLJR and is right above the Box ID#. It goes along with what Robin referenced in the other thread and HDgeneration wrote above. (they're different numbers than given for the 5300 so they are model specific)

My 1st panel from BB was the VA confirmed by the rectangular pixels and extreme flashlighting around the entire perimeter of the black screen and picture was not sharp (almost grainy). Could not live with any of these artifacts.

Exchanged for a 2nd panel and confirmed it was a IPS with the >>>> pixels. MUCH better black screen....no flashlighting. Great picture!

There is a major difference between these panels....I was very disappointed in the VA. I am now extremely pleased with the IPS.
post #237 of 1509 Old 09-18-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveblue View Post

For the 42LE5400:

IPS Panel = AUSWLJR

VA = AUSDLNR

This is in the number after the Serial # that starts 42LE5400-UC.AUSWLJR and is right above the Box ID#. It goes along with what Robin referenced in the other thread and HDgeneration wrote above. (they're different numbers than given for the 5300 so they are model specific)

My 1st panel from BB was the VA confirmed by the rectangular pixels and extreme flashlighting around the entire perimeter of the black screen and picture was not sharp (almost grainy). Could not live with any of these artifacts.

Exchanged for a 2nd panel and confirmed it was a IPS with the >>>> pixels. MUCH better black screen....no flashlighting. Great picture!

There is a major difference between these panels....I was very disappointed in the VA. I am now extremely pleased with the IPS.

Can you post some pictures from the side views and center view?
post #238 of 1509 Old 09-18-2010, 09:38 PM

I kept my box for a few weeks in case I had to return it within the return window. I noticed the service code which indicates what type of panel it has is written on the box. In my case it is the large white sticker with the barcodes and the model number written on it. To get an IPS panel you're looking for a W after AUS in the code. For example my 32LE5400 is AUSWLNR.
post #239 of 1509 Old 09-18-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

I kept my box for a few weeks in case I had to return it within the return window. I noticed the service code which indicates what type of panel it has is written on the box. In my case it is the large white sticker with the barcodes and the model number written on it. To get an IPS panel you're looking for a W after AUS in the code. For example my 32LE5400 is AUSWLNR.

Can you post some pics of the viewing angles on your TV? pretty please LOL
post #240 of 1509 Old 09-20-2010, 06:13 PM

I bought the 47" TV with the LG home theater system but for some reason I can't get the TV to play the sound through the HT while I am watching anything on it. How do I get the sound to play on the HT while I watch things like sports and TV shows? Or is that not possible?

When I connect the HT I get the option to switch the input from TV to AV1 (since I have connected the HT through the RYW cable) but I dont want to switch. I simply want to watch TV and have the sound play through the HT.

Also I do notice a slight sound lag on the TV
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page