Samsung LN46A550: Power up problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2010, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I realize that this has probably been explained multiple times - I just want to confirm before calling Samsung.

For the past couple of days, my 2-year old LN46A550 has had some difficulty turning on in the morning. You hear the clicks and it almost appears to be turning itself on & off for about 30 seconds-1 minute. Finally, it will come on & everything seems to work fine.

To the best of my knowledge, this only happens with the first power cycle of the day... during the rest of the day, turning the power off & on has a normal response.

From what I've read here & elsewhere on the 'net, it looks to be the result of capacitors bulging (poor design on their part). Being that I am over a year out of warranty, I am expecting to have to pay to get it repaired (I am not mechanically inclined to do the soldering myself.

Assuming this is the issue, how much would something like this cost to repair? Are there other things that I should check on prior to calling Samsung?

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2010, 03:37 PM

What is the serial number of your TV? It will possibly repaired at a no cost.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2010, 06:01 AM

The money out of pocket will be for Labor only for the most part. Your looking at a couple of bucks for the capacitors. Most places will charge about $200.00
post #4 of 6 Old 06-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Liked: 14
When powering up, my 14 month old LN46A550 defaults to the TV mode with the volume wide open(loud). This started recently, always before it would start with the mode previously used which is normally the cable set top box on component video inputs. I have done the factory resets with the remote, and power plug removed for 30 minutes trick. No matter what, it always powers up in TV mode with loud volume. I am guessing there is a defective circuit board which I could replace if I knew which to replace. Any ideas or simular experience?
post #5 of 6 Old 02-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I am having this exact same problem on this exact same set. What is the solution for others that had it fixed? DIY if so any guides? If you paid for it to be repaired how much did it run?

Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
jbdawson, If you are referring to start up issues, see below. If you are referring to loud start up, I have no idea. Can't tell from your post which previous issue you are having.

Samsung is replacing the power board which has the defective capacitors on it. They do it free, one time, even on tvs long out of warranty. Call their Customer Service, explain your problem, they will ask for the tv's serial number. If the tv is about 2 or 3 years old it's serial number most likely will be covered.

They contact an authorized repair shop in your area and they come and fix it for free.

For more details about the problem, check the link:

http://www.crovean.net/samsung-lcd-tv-power-up-problem
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page