Problem with Toshiba 52XF550U... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-06-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a new Toshiba 52XF550U television after spending a long time researching different models. I bought what I thought to be a very high end, quality television. Up until recently the television has been very good and I have enjoyed my purchase. Within the past 6 months I began to notice an issue with the screen. In the beginning I noticed along the left side that there was a stripe about 3 inches wide that would be washed out with a blue tint. This would generally fade after a while of watching the tv. This problem has continued to get worse over that time period. The 3 inch band no longer fades and now there is another 3 inches that are distorted right next to it with a darker black line at the edge of that band. I have tried turning off and unplugging the television, neither fixed the problem. The problem is also visible with the same level of intensity on all inputs and channels.

After reading around some different sites and this forum I found that other people were having similar problems with this model as well. Also in those cases I have read that it requires a new panel to fix. It seems that most people however had this problem develop earlier on in the use of the television. I don't know if it is that I use my television less than others but mine is a "late bloomer". Regardless I now have an expensive television with 6" of distorted picture on the left side. My last television lasted me over 10 years and is still working for another person. Having this one go bad in under 2 is very disturbing to me.

I have contacted Toshiba via customer service email and explained the problem. In my explanation I said that I had found others with the same problem. This is the response I got back from Toshiba:

"I apologize for the issue that you are having. The issue that you are describing is not a known issue with the set. The manufacturers warranty that came with the set is one year on parts and labor. Please write back with your zip code and I will provide you with information for a authorized service center.

Thanks for writing!"

This sounds like they are basically telling me I have an isolated problem and that I am out of luck. It also sounds like they are saying that they will point me in the direction of where I can get it fixed but I am on my own. None of these answers are good enough in my mind.

I am writing here to see if anybody can help. I think that there has to be a way to get through to somebody with Toshiba who will help.

I am also interested in anybody else who has had this problem. If I can show Toshiba more people who have had or are having this problem I think it could help (even though I am sure they already know). I think it would be valid even if it is not the 52" version.

Thanks to anybody who can help.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-06-2010, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 52 Toshiba Regza also. So far no problems. Your issue sounds bad. Maybe see if you can get a free estimate for a repair. Then see if it would be worth fixing. Prices cont to drop for LCDs. You can replace a 52" LCD for under a $1000 these days.

So your question is: Repair Cost vs New?

Good Luck !
post #3 of 9 Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Nick,

Got precisely the same problem here, and was told the same thing. Mine is 2+ years old however.

Same exact television, 55" and all.

-Steve
post #4 of 9 Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

@Steve: When did your symptoms start to show up? Mine were at like 15 months probably at the start. Then just got worse. Did you try to haggle with Toshiba much? I know that we are past the warranty period but it is obviously a faulty design or something. I have read about other models having the same or similar issues and there is one that was from the same year with the thin bezel that was given an extended warranty.

I plan to put up a fight at least. I think that Toshiba should do something about this. Who knows what will happen.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hate to tell you, but Toshiba gave you a line of bull. They are trying to get you to waste time until your warr expires. You have a panel that is progressivly getting worse. This is not isolated to your set and is common on all makes and models of flat screens. If you are still in warr, contact a servicer and show proof of purchase and you will get your set fixed. If it is out of Warr then I am sorry, it will be cheaper to by a new set.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgcn View Post

hey nick,

got precisely the same problem here, and was told the same thing. Mine is 2+ years old however.

Same exact television, 55" and all.

-steve

55"?
post #7 of 9 Old 06-09-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am fairly certain that I am getting fed the standard line of BS from Toshiba. I just hope that if I press a bit then it will get past the first line of defense and I might get some assistance.

I have taken some pictures and a video of what my television is doing. I was hoping to have more people chime in with the same problem. I have found many in other threads and on other sites.

Thanks everybody for the input.

Pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYc2x0vEWVk&hd=1
post #8 of 9 Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 AM

My 52" is not quite 3 years old and all of a sudden I am getting the same issue but on the right side. A 5" perfect stripe down the right side, bluish tint, can still see the video behind it...

Any resolution on your end?
post #9 of 9 Old 06-03-2016, 05:17 PM

Liked: 0
Got the TV and it didn't power up. Was told the seine board was bad. Replaced it and the pic shows what I get now. Can anyone give any suggestions as to what might be wrong or what needs to be replaced. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VZM_1464995701419.IMG_20160601_103812.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	516.6 KB
ID:	1476489  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page