Samsung has picture but no sound - AVS Forum
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Samsung has picture but no sound
mr51's Avatar mr51 08:48 PM 06-08-2010
My Samsung LN40A550 has developed a problem of having a picture, but NO sound.

When I turn the volume up or down, it shows the volume bar on the left side of the screen, and also shows the "headphone" icon above the volume bar like a set of headphones are hooked up to the tv. There is no sound coming from the speakers, but there is sound going to the headphone jack.

The unit is out of warranty by 4 months.

Has anyone experienced this problem, or have any ideas on fixing it?

mes444's Avatar mes444 07:24 AM 06-09-2010
Unplug the tv from the wall for about 10 minutes. Replug it. It's probably just a glitch and the reboot should get it fixed.
BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim 07:37 AM 06-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr51 View Post

My Samsung LN40A550 has developed a problem of having a picture, but NO sound.

When I turn the volume up or down, it shows the volume bar on the left side of the screen, and also shows the "headphone" icon above the volume bar like a set of headphones are hooked up to the tv. There is no sound coming from the speakers, but there is sound going to the headphone jack.

The unit is out of warranty by 4 months.

Has anyone experienced this problem, or have any ideas on fixing it?

I have an A650 and on the remote, if you go into the TV's menu and choose the speaker icon on the left side of the screen, scroll down to "Speaker Select" and make sure the TV Speaker is turned "On." Also, further down, there is a "Sound Reset" option. If the speaker was on and you still have no sound, try the "Reset All" or "Reset Sound Mode."

Good luck to you.
darstr's Avatar darstr 09:44 AM 06-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I have an A650 and on the remote, if you go into the TV's menu and choose the speaker icon on the left side of the screen, scroll down to "Speaker Select" and make sure the TV Speaker is turned "On." Also, further down, there is a "Sound Reset" option. If the speaker was on and you still have no sound, try the "Reset All" or "Reset Sound Mode."

Good luck to you.

I agree. If this does not fix, you probably have a short or loose soder connection in your head phone jack. This rare but does happen. Would need to be re-soldered or replaced
mr51's Avatar mr51 07:59 PM 06-09-2010
Thanks for all of the replies so far.

I've tried all of the above mentioned recommendations with no success.

I unplugged it for 2 WEEKS, no help.

I've tried to reset the audio, but after some research, I find that if the headphone output is in use, you can not reset the audio nor can you make any changes under the audio menu.

I've even tried a complete factory reset with on luck.

I think I'm going to take the back off and look at the headphone wiring. Maybe I'll find the problem there.
Sheya's Avatar Sheya 12:01 PM 11-03-2011
I know this is an old thread, but I have the exact same problem with the same TV (Samsung LN40A550).

Was the problem in the headphone connector? I took the back off a while ago and looked for blown caps, but didn't find any. I didn't think of looking at the headphone jack as the culprit. If that was the problem for you, I'll take it apart and see if that will fix mine.

thank you for your time and help.

Aaron.
tonylampada's Avatar tonylampada 06:59 PM 02-27-2012
Sheya, me too.
Only with a different TV model (a LN32A550).

mr51, could you tell me how did it work out for you?
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 08:52 PM 02-27-2012
For the two newbies, go to Radio shack and get a 1/8" stereo male, that is used to replace a broken end on a headset. Also pick up some contact cleaner while you are there. Turn off and unplug the set, then take the spray, spray some into the headphone jack, then take the 1/8" plug and insert and remove a couple of times. Let sit for the cleaner to dry, then plug the set back in and see if it fixes it. If not, repeat process of the spray and inserting the plug again into the jack.
justhis's Avatar justhis 10:52 AM 07-20-2012
same here

I have had my Blu-ray about two weeks it plays regular movies perfectly, but try to play a blu-ray and all I get is a picture. I have gone 3 rounds with Samsung unplugging it plugging it back it in. restaring it, upgrading it, backing it back up. THe latest wait for the newest upgrade which just happened and still no sound. So i come to you maybe you can help.
Up
Mobile  Desktop