Official Vizio E470VL, E420VL, E550VL 120Hz 2010 Models - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 451 Old 11-20-2010, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering the E470VL to replace a Sanyo that has some gray clouds on screen. The Sanyo has pix control that permits me to get full screen for SD with either stretch or top and bottom cropping.

In reading the E470VL manual I cannot determine if the modes will let me find a situation I can live with or not. I don't want stretch or side bars for SD, or letter box for HD, can someone elaborate on the "Wide Menu" modes better than the manual description?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 451 Old 11-23-2010, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I went to go buy the Sony KDL 46EX500 from a local Mom and Pop store, and was told of the Vizio E550VL on sale at Wally World. I checked it out, yes the Sony had a better picture at every retailer (many, many) I tried, but the Vizio was really close and is a 55" for around the same price.

I took the Vizio home and watched a couple of movies, playing with the settings. Got a nice picture, almost 3D-ish with lots of depth in some cases. Lots of fun to watch.

But, on darker scenes, this white band towards the middle about a foot long stands out. The flash lighting in the corners isn't as bothersome, but the band in the middle is a pain. So I will be returning it for another Vizio.

If I get this problem with the next one, I'll have to go with the smaller Sony. Anyone else get this type of flash lighting?

Attachment 191929
LL

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #273 of 451 Old 11-23-2010, 10:45 AM

Liked: 18
Well I can't really find any threads on the E370VA or much good info on it as far as reviews... but... I got one on sunday... but I have a couple of minor moans about it...

Mainly when using HDMI inputs... the "Custom" picture mode doesn't allow me to turn off adaptive luma, Color Enhancement, or Noise Reduction... it does turn these off when in game mode.. but then I can't change the color temp... which is totally too blue in game mode... so I'm online with their phone tech support now waiting for an answer to why this is... I would be perfectly happy with this thing if it would just let me turn off the stuff like adaptive luma and noise reduction.. especially when noise reduction serves no purpose when being used as a computer monitor or for gaming...

Also wish the "fast response" was an option under Custom mode also... only available under game mode.... why can't they just let me adjust the tv how I want to? There is no reason for Noise reduction or adaptive luma to be forced on using HDMI in "Custom mode"...

What's even the point of custom mode if I can't turn that stuff off?

Is this an issue with the VL models as well? Tech support basically just treated me like an ass for even questioning their almighty firmware designers.

Edit: if I have nothing plugged into the hdmi port... then I can turn those things off in custom or home mode... then when I plug it back in the settings stay the same... weird... I guess I can live with it now though at least... just wish I could adjust the backlight, brightness, and contrast while in game mode so my eyes don't bleed from the backlight being way way too bright... headache inducing... game mode is useless because I still can't change the backlight and brightness/contrast settings (or color temp)
post #274 of 451 Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 PM

I will likely purchase this TV (E420VL) from Costco this weekend (not a BF deal, just happen to get it at this time).

The contrast ratio is what sets it apart from others in the same price category. Let's hope the 'Vizio' brand does not disappoint!

An LED (edge lit) LCD can be had for another $50, but the contrast ratio is the same, and "LED" seems to be the only difference, so I don't mind going with the vl model.
post #275 of 451 Old 11-26-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

After two days of putting up with the flashlighting, I decided to try gently massaging the screen with a microfiber cloth. The white band in the middle went away!

After the third day, the corner flashlighting disppeared as well. Only a very small bit at the lower left hand corner, I may try to massage that out at a later date, or just let it ride. Picture seems to be getting better and better. Do TV's break in, or is it just me? A little of both, I think.

This TV is a keeper, for the money I am very satisfied.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

post #276 of 451 Old 11-26-2010, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad your issue was resolved. I dont know about break in but it sounds good to me. There is some heat involved and maybe after a while clears up.
post #277 of 451 Old 11-27-2010, 05:42 AM

Im planning on picking the e420vl up next week. This TV seems greaf for the money. I was going to get the panasonic p42c2 plasma, but decided I dont to deal with the extra attention and care that a plasma requires to prevent IR. I do alot of gaming and there are frequently static huds on screen (cod). Plus I have a bad habit of passing out with the tv on, and I figure both of those are bad for plasma.

A buddy of mine has the 37" version of this tv, and ive played cod on it before and I didnt notice the input lag many speak of. Maybe my eyes arent sensitive enough to see it, but the game looked great on it.
post #278 of 451 Old 11-29-2010, 06:14 AM

We just purchased a Vizio E550VL from BJ's Club. It replaced a 47" Olevia which we moved to the bedroom. I notice the new Vizio has a dimmer picture than the Olevia (tried different channels and also recent release DVD movie.) Woke up the next day and thought maybe it was just in my head, but not the case, picture still looks dimmer. Tried looking at setting options, but they confuse me. I don't want to mess with the wrong things. Read the book, but the descriptions of the settings don't seem to address the issue of dimmness. Does anyone know why this has a bit of a dim picture? And how to adjust it?

Also, I'm a little tainted being a graduate from film school and worked in the industry -- so I do not care for what I have learned is called the Soap Opera Effect. Any way to change the settings to curtail that?

I'm hoping adjustments can be made, as we bought this TV on our tight budget, on sale at BJ's - price was $900.
post #279 of 451 Old 11-29-2010, 08:06 AM

Did wind up getting a 42" LCD from Costco, but it is an EV421VA.

Set up was a cinch. My first TV in 10 years, I was blown away at how straight-forward the menu was. In minutes I was getting HDTV OTA. OPB HD, FTW!

I paired it up with the Samsung BP-c6500. It too was a cinch to set up. It quickly saw my Wireless G network, updated itself, and was good to go. I laughed at how easy it was to set up my netflix account. BOOM. Right into my queue.

Picture Quality? I can't say for sure yet, but I will be back to report. Nothing noticeably strange or disappointing.

Now a whole seven minutes into turning the thing on for the first time, I'm watching Clash of the Titans (original) and sipping a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot.

It was a revelatory experience, seeing the (impressive) set designs, actors, costumes, etc., for the first time. My memories of watching this on a blurry tube TV, via VHS, recall several questions and uncertainties about the plot.
post #280 of 451 Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 PM

Would someone tell me where you hook up the audio for the VGA port? I'm researching this TV and all of the photos I see have what looks like a S-video port labeled audio... From what I read it should be a 1/8" audio jack beside the VGA connector, but every review site has that same photo of a S-video jack labeled "Audio"...

Here (hopefully) is the picture that has me confused:
post #281 of 451 Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Weird picture, fastgriz. The vizio.com site has user manuals you can download ("Support" tab for the selected product) -- and the user manual illustration shows the correct plug.

"RGB PC—Connect the video and audio from a computer here. Connect a 1/8” mini plug
stereo connector from the computer to the TV if you want the sound to come from the HDTV speakers."
post #282 of 451 Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikifish View Post

We just purchased a Vizio E550VL from BJ's Club. It replaced a 47" Olevia which we moved to the bedroom. I notice the new Vizio has a dimmer picture than the Olevia (tried different channels and also recent release DVD movie.) Woke up the next day and thought maybe it was just in my head, but not the case, picture still looks dimmer. Tried looking at setting options, but they confuse me. I don't want to mess with the wrong things. Read the book, but the descriptions of the settings don't seem to address the issue of dimmness. Does anyone know why this has a bit of a dim picture? And how to adjust it?

Also, I'm a little tainted being a graduate from film school and worked in the industry -- so I do not care for what I have learned is called the Soap Opera Effect. Any way to change the settings to curtail that?

I'm hoping adjustments can be made, as we bought this TV on our tight budget, on sale at BJ's - price was $900.

What seems to affect the apparent dimness of my set is the Ambient Light Sensor, which adjusts to ambient lighting in the room. It's the last setting option in the advanced picture screen. (Picture...More...Advanced Picture...Ambient Light Sensor) -- Low, Medium, High, or Off. High and Off are extremely bright in my light setting. Adaptive Luma and Backlight Control settings under some conditions can also greatly change the apparent darkness of the picture.

For Soap Opera Effect, I'm not the best one to comment. SOE bothers DS a lot, but I want to minimize what I take to be judder, so we go back and forth between Smooth Motion being turned Off vs. on Low with Real Cinema on Precision. See post #71 in this thread.
post #283 of 451 Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM

Right, so I have the e421va....

Well, this is my first flat-screen TV, and I must say--I'm disappointed. I go out of my way to get 120hz to avoid "judder" and I'm seeing it ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Now, I'm not ruling out my Samsung bd-c6500 blu ray player, but this is ridiculous, I have set it to Low, Medium, and High on the motion-corrector setting and I'm still seeing this terrible staggering/juddering on slow pans of DVDs and Netflix content. "Moon" was so bad I could barely watch it.

So my question is, is this something that is just par-for-the-course with LCD? How about Plasma? I'll return this in a heartbeat if Plasma doesn't look this bad.

EDIT: IT WAS THE WI-FI! Also, didn't have it on HDMI yet, and didn't have the Blu-Ray on 24fps Cinema mode.
post #284 of 451 Old 12-02-2010, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

What causes green specks in the blacks? I only see this when a scene is fading in or out, then the green fades to the proper black.

post #285 of 451 Old 12-02-2010, 04:48 AM

Audio analog (red & white RCA jacks) output problem. PS i read that other users are having this problem too, see post # 214,215,216,219, 222, starting on page 8. Any others having analog audio output problems, please add them here.
See my next forum reply below directed to Vizio Tech online Chat.
post #286 of 451 Old 12-02-2010, 06:57 AM

I thought i would contact vizio to report the problem, here is their record of the live chat session i had 10 minutes ago:

Vizio: Welcome to Vizio Live Chat.
Vizio: Mikayla has joined the conversation.

Mikayla: Hi there! Thank you for contacting VIZIO, America’s Number One Hi-Def TV Company and the home of Entertainment Freedom for All. My name is Mikayla in South Dakota and my badge # is 278.

wlliam : I bought an E550VL at Sams on 11-28-2010. I am now having an Audio analog (red & white RCA jacks) output problem. I hooked up my Sennheiser headphones, and it worked great, but the next day one of the headphone channels dropped out, i thought it was a loose connection to the VCR composite RCA plugs, because when i wiggled it at the VCR the sound came back on. But it has happened two more times, and not only when using the VCR, but also in HDMI-1 mode at the timeWarner set top box. The second time this happened it seemed as though i had fixed it by switching between fixed and variable on the Audio Advanced menu, but it has happened again, and that fix is not working, instead after I fiddled with the advanced audo fixed vs. variable to no avail. a minute later, inexplicably both channels chimed in, i was on the Hdmi-1 when it came back. I wonder if a firmware update would fix this.
Mikayla: Oh ok, I am researching this for you.

Mikayla: I can assist you!

Mikayla: Here at VIZIO, we always deliver our best in class support for every customer. Let me get you registered in our technical system first. May I please get your phone number, email address, street address, and serial number?

wlliam , I already registered my TV With Vizio on Nov 30th.
Mikayla: Thank you. Let's test another set of RCA cables.

wlliam : I already did that, plus it is occurring on the VCR/AV input and the HDMI-1, please dont waste my time. Other people are haveing this problem too, I can give the the link to an AVS forum so you can read up on it.
Mikayla: I am a tech for VIZIO, and it is my job to help you do troubleshooting. I am not wasting your time. I apologize your receiving this error. We can set up a repair to have those ports fixed for you.

wlliam You are not answering my question, Is Vizio aware of this problem? If not, why not, because it is happening to others.
Mikayla: No we are not. If there is something wrong, we will fix it for you.

wlliam : I already offered you a website where you can read up on other users experiencing the same thing on the same model, would you like the link to it?
Mikayla: Yes, I saw that.

Mikayla: This is not a known issue though.

wlliam : AVS Forum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxpost # 214,215,216,219, 222, starting on page 8.
Mikayla: Ok, sir what would you like for a resolution at this point?

wlliam : For you to enter this problem into your database so that you can issue a fix.
Mikayla: Ok.

wlliam n: I don't want to be the guinnea pig, it seems as though others are having this problem, and I'll bet you can recreate this in your Tech center and hopefully come up with a fix or firmware update.
Mikayla: Yes of course!

Mikayla: Were always here to help.

wlliam : How will i know when firmware updates or other "known issue" fixes are available?
Mikayla: They will be located on our xxxxxxxxxx website.

wlliam : Is there a case number for this conversation?
Mikayla: Yes it is xxxxxxxxxx. Is there anything else i can do for you?

wlliam : NO thankyou, goodbye
post #287 of 451 Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 AM

Hi, I know this is a thread for bigger Vizios, but does anyone have the 32" Vizio E320VL? What are your impressions on picture quality, sound, build quality, etc? I placed orders for this Vizio and Samsung LN32C450 ($75 more than Vizio) and will have to return one. Thanks.
post #288 of 451 Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 AM

I hope i'm not taking up too much space here, but this is the latest on my e550vl bought 11-28-2010 at Sams. For the 4th time the analog audio outputs were dead last nite. So i tried toggling the advanced audo fixed vs. variable but nothing, then I cycled the input to A/V, BINGO the headphones jumped to life and worked all nite long on all inputs. (I have my VCR with composite RCA plugs on the A/V, and the VCR was on) Tried it again this am and all is working.
I love this set. Mainly because matte ( this a semi matte in my opinion) screens in LCDs are hard to come by, even the Vizio M550nv is glossy.
post #289 of 451 Old 12-04-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ft View Post

Right, so I have the e421va....

Well, this is my first flat-screen TV, and I must say--I'm disappointed. I go out of my way to get 120hz to avoid "judder" and I'm seeing it ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Now, I'm not ruling out my Samsung bd-c6500 blu ray player, but this is ridiculous, I have set it to Low, Medium, and High on the motion-corrector setting and I'm still seeing this terrible staggering/juddering on slow pans of DVDs and Netflix content. "Moon" was so bad I could barely watch it.

So my question is, is this something that is just par-for-the-course with LCD? How about Plasma? I'll return this in a heartbeat if Plasma doesn't look this bad.

Did you also have Real Cinema on "smooth"? When I don't have anybody around to complain about SOE, I watch with Smooth Motion on medium and Real Cinema on smooth. There's a lot of personal preference in this...
post #290 of 451 Old 12-04-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

Did you also have Real Cinema on "smooth"? When I don't have anybody around to complain about SOE, I watch with Smooth Motion on medium and Real Cinema on smooth. There's a lot of personal preference in this...

Thanks for those settings suggestions, I have Smooth Motion on High and I don't know what Real Cinema is on...I'm not sure I have that?

Furthermore, I've been watching a bunch of stuff lately and it comes down to this....

Neflix streaming can appear terrible, and that is either the source (compressed, I'm sure) or Netflix is adjusting the PQ "on the fly" to suit my connection, which includes Wi-Fi. I'd like to hear input from people if having a hard wired connection will improve netflix and PC streaming PQ (I thought bandwidth would only affect lag, but I could be wrong).

In other words, Wi-Fi data PC streaming and Netflix by the Blu-Ray player may be causing dropped frames that cause a Judder effect

Or, the Samsung Blu-Ray player (BD-c6500) might not have the horsepower to decode certain codecs when lots of action is on-screen, though I would hope this isn't the case.

Aside from "Stranger than Fiction", upscaled DVDs are not causing problems and I'm quite pleased with the PQ, all things considered.
post #291 of 451 Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 AM

As per the previous posts, I too am experiencing problems using the E470VL analog audio outputs. I purchased the TV the week before Thanksgiving. I have my 47" Vizio connected to an older Technics receiver which only has audio inputs (no optical). Sometimes the sound coming out of my receiver is fine. Other times it does not work at all. To make it work I have to either turn offf/on the TV or switch between inputs until it works. Eventually I will get sound coming thru the receiver. But it is a pain to continually do. I see someone has reported this to Vizio via a Vizio tech support chat session. Please post on this forum when a fix is available from Vizio to address this problem. It will probably be a firmware update. I can't believe Vizio is not aware of this problem. In this forum there are multiple postings of this problem occurring. Otherwise the TV is great. Excellent picture. Just setup the 24P option on the TV and my Blu-Ray player and Blu-Ray videos are even better.
post #292 of 451 Old 12-05-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ft View Post

Thanks for those settings suggestions, I have Smooth Motion on High and I don't know what Real Cinema is on...I'm not sure I have that?

Oops, another VA vs. VL difference! On the VL, Real Cinema Mode is an option right below the Smooth Motion option. And, I think what tcgeiss referred to is the Film Mode setting, on the same Advanced Picture screen. Mine's set on Auto, and we haven't tried other options there. I'm still finding my way with all these adjustments. No Blu Ray. And slow internet, so no Netflix.

So the VA model doesn't have these options? For reference, VL manual:

Quote:

The Real Cinema Mode option allows selection of the type of compensation used for the Smooth MotionTM Effect option. Choose from Off, Precision and Smooth.

Film Mode . Choose from Off or Auto. When set to Off it will stay at 60 fps. When set to Auto, the TV will detect the cadence (for example at 24 frames/second for film, or normal video at 60 fps).

post #293 of 451 Old 12-05-2010, 11:43 AM

What are the best video settings for the e420Vl...

i saw a couple pages back, CNET's settings, but it looked like most didnt agree. i personally like the film look/judder...
post #294 of 451 Old 12-06-2010, 03:15 AM

Ok First!

I must say I am very pleased with the performance of this tv. (E420VL) esp for the price. Simply can not beat this for 635 out the door (Tax/stupid ca recycle tax) hands down awesome bang for the buck and when givin a quality input it will hang with the best.

still tweaking the "dark scenes" but with the help of this thread I am sure it will be even better.

NOW gaming. After reading this thread I realized that when playing COD on xbox (hdmi) both black ops and mw2 That I have been p;aying considerably worse and just couldn't figure out why. WELL. being that the VL model does not have a "fast response" option. I set the tv to GAME and turned off all of the smooth motion and other "processed" features along with turning off tru surround.

After one game I was on top of the game again better than ever. SO That seemed to solve the issue I didn't even realize was there. I mean there were times before where I swear I melee'd and would die. Now They do.

And as far as picture quality with everything adjusted it is still awesome.. Thanks to all who helped with this and I hope that this helps others as well.
post #295 of 451 Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 PM

E421VA:

I set my Blu-Ray (Samsung BD-c6500) on 24fps and Watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and even the text on the DVD racks in the record store scene was moving fluidly. Very impressive.
post #296 of 451 Old 12-09-2010, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Count me as another having issues with the analog audio out jacks. I switched inputs back and forth a couple of times to get it to work. Left channel came on first, then the right a couple of seconds later. Dammit, I really like this TV, but it HAS to work with my 2 channel gear. I have 2 weeks left to decide if I want to keep this or not.

Anybody have any ideas why there is green in the blacks when I am watching 480p DVD's? Is it the TV, the source (a Marantz universal player) or the HDMI cable?

post #297 of 451 Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 AM

I'm thinking about purchasing the E470VL as a Christmas gift for a friend. From what I can tell it is a great TV at the price point. The only major issue I caught from skimming this thread was problems with the analog audio out, which will not be an issue for my friend. If I missed other problems/quirks please let me know.

Useages:
Blu-rays
DVDs - Upconverted
HD Cable
OTA Broadcast (not likely)

My primary question is to everyone who owns this TV - "If you had the opportunity to purchase this TV again, would you?"
post #298 of 451 Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 PM

Yes I would buy it again. I only paid 889. plus tax at Sam's. It has NEVER failed to connect to my headphones eventually...longest being 75 seconds. I found what could be considered a 'work-around', Google this "monoprice 6884" without the quotes . I wonder if anyone is having the Audio output problem when using the Optical audio out.
I have changed the analog audio out setting to variable in the advanced audio menu, speakers off in the audio menu , then I exited all the menus an set the tv volume via the remote to 100. (i get no sound to the tv speaker, because i have the set to off in the 'settings''audio' menu) This seems to have resolved the delay to my headphones.
post #299 of 451 Old 12-10-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post

Yes I would buy it again. I only paid 889. plus tax at Sam's. It has NEVER failed to connect to my headphones eventually...longest being 75 seconds. I found what could be considered a 'work-around', Google this "monoprice 6884" without the quotes . I wonder if anyone is having the Audio output problem when using the Optical audio out.

Good to hear - anyone else?
post #300 of 451 Old 12-11-2010, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

The jury is still out here. I am still waiting to see what is up with the green blacks. The analog audio out problem isn't looking good either.

The picture is absolutely outstanding for the money. Is there better? Yeah, slightly better for a lot more cash. Just wish I could figure out why my blacks are green, the audio out thing seems to be a minor inconvenience that does work itself out eventually.

Guys, any idea what is up with the green blacks? They do not appear in the letterboxes at all, just scenes that fade in and out.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E470vl 47 Inch 120 Hz 1080p Lcd Hdtv Black , Vizio 42 Inch Class Lcd Hdtv E420vl , Vizio E550vl 55 Inch Full Hd 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page