Official Sony KDL-xxHX800 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great observation. I enjoy going to Best Buy just to ask for a tv recommendation. 9 times out of 10 they suggest Samsung before asking anything about what else I own, how big the room is, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsohelcorp View Post

I went to bestbuy to compare UN55C8000 and Sony 55HX800. The Samsung picture/look much better than Sony to me. Samsung has little ghost image issue sometimes but Samsung 2D to 3D much better than Sony. If you are looking for best 3D then go with Panasonic VT25/20, that's amazing and much superior to any other brand (3D)

I was inclined to Sony but the bestbuy guy told me 8000 series is much better than Sony. He beleives 8000 is actually better than 9000 series.

I have had experience with both the Un55C7000 and the Sony HX800 (owned the sony, friend has the 7000).

The Samsung wins in the 2d to 3d conversion, IMHO. Better depth and overall look of the conversion.

The HX800 has a better overall picture. I tweaked the picture settings of both tvs and the Samsung always had some blurring of smaller objects.. or a person's eyes when they werent taking up a lot of the frame. The Sony was always sharp, and much nicer to watch.

The Samsung does DLNA a million times better, if that's imporant to you. Everything I tried on the sony was blocky and just awful to watch.

Both had flashlighting and clouding. Can be minimized, but not 100%.

:)
post #273 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 11:33 AM

imo 2d to 3d conversion is useless nothing really looks good in 2d to 2d conversion
post #274 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChris View Post

I have had experience with both the Un55C7000 and the Sony HX800 (owned the sony, friend has the 7000).

The Samsung wins in the 2d to 3d conversion, IMHO. Better depth and overall look of the conversion.

The HX800 has a better overall picture. I tweaked the picture settings of both tvs and the Samsung always had some blurring of smaller objects.. or a person's eyes when they werent taking up a lot of the frame. The Sony was always sharp, and much nicer to watch.

The Samsung does DLNA a million times better, if that's imporant to you. Everything I tried on the sony was blocky and just awful to watch.

Both had flashlighting and clouding. Can be minimized, but not 100%.

Which Sony did you have? The 55"? Also, sorry for the ignorant question...but what is DLNA?

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV
Samsung BD-C6900 and BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray players
Onkyo HT-S770 home theater system
post #275 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaky_d View Post

Which Sony did you have? The 55"? Also, sorry for the ignorant question...but what is DLNA?

Yes, the 55HX800. DLNA was the streaming video from my PC.

:)
post #276 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 03:56 PM

I had a 40XBR4 that was bright and sharp, but the flashlights (?) in the upper corners were getting brighter as it aged, even though I had the backlight way down at 1 (that is one bright backlight!) and a friend who really wanted it, and so the 46HX800. I'd sure like to see the XBR HX909 with full local dimming backlighting but none around here it would seem and I can't figure out it it is really that much better from the reviews I've read.

The 46HX800 was ideal space-wise as it has almost the same space requirements with a bit more picture - kind of like cutting out much of the frame of the XBR4 and replacing it with picture. I miss the SONY illuminated logo but I'll get over it. The set runs much cooler than the XBR4, very welcome in a small apartment with marginal air conditioning and a high-heat warning outside.

The HX800 looked terrific in the store, not so terrific at home; but "blacker than black" is more imporant to some people, where "temperature" is important to me - I hate whites that aren't white and the HX800 seems to like to lean toward a tiny bluish tint, so I've spent quality time tweaking. The power saving things are strange, this set, at least to me, doesn't need a dimmer picture - I'm running this backlight on 6. The "scene select" is great - turned off. Perhaps if I was a gamer I'd feel differently.

The remote control is direct, to the point, and CHEAP. I miss the XBR4's slightly classier remote (I like backlit remotes!). This set has taken a lot of tweaking to get color/contrast/brightness where I want it, thank goodness for "HD Basics" blu ray. HD Basics does show that the HX800 is just as incredibly good as the XBR was in most respects (e.g., geometric accuracy, overscan, all that).

I guess the less said about 3D the better, but as we all know there isn't much to look at; but I could only get through 15 minutes of "Cloudy" because the glasses induce flicker which makes the whole 3D thing not worth much so far, anyway. For now, expectations lowered about as far as they can go for 3D. I look forward to a better demo disc and perhaps one day - gasp - a freal movie with real people! The Panasonic demo disc has some decent short 3D scenes.

To end my little review, the set also does not like to start about half the time; it goes from the red standby light to the green "run" light when turned on, but does nothing else (the green LED does flash to indicate that it does accept IR... but no picture, NONE. The fix, toggle the power off and on again after a few seconds, no problems the rest of the day. I'm purposely not setting clock time as this seems to disable "quick start" in case this "feature" was causing the problem - it happens only once, the first start of the day. I saw the firmware update on the website and it's already there, the set is connected to my router. I can't comment on the internet "convergence" on this set; I bought it to watch DVD's and BD's and television.

Poor Sony, sorry they can no longer afford to print a real detailed owner's manual. This set might go back if the "first of the day" power on isn't an easy fix. I've done all the workarounds, but of course it only happens once a day so it's not easy to test. Even with the criticisms, I like the set now that it's tweaked, now to write down those settings...
post #277 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 04:17 PM

why is everyone seeing flickering im not seeing it
post #278 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrg478 View Post

why is everyone seeing flickering im not seeing it

Me too, I do not see flickering when I have demoed the HX800 3 different times. Maybe interference from some lights?
post #279 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackkeys View Post

Me too, I do not see flickering when I have demoed the HX800 3 different times. Maybe interference from some lights?

Yeah it could be from light youll probely get that with any active shutter glasses
post #280 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 PM

.The 3D flicker w/Sony glasses is something I've tried to minimize under diffent lighting conditons. I'd expect it with other flourescents in in the room, but it's still there, it's not real bad, but it's there, even with incandescents. I fear there are too many panel lights from the receiver and other components that might make it noticeable (if I turn all the lights down there are sill lots of mostly flouresent and some LED alphanumeric displays, so that could pull me into flicker. One day when a real non-animated BD-3D shows up I'll try it with NO light sources and see if the flicker vanishes.

I hope they remaster Friday the 13th in blu-ray 3D, it was hilarious a long time ago with polarized glasses in the theater. The beginning titles would start flat on the screen and the writers/producers/whatever, would go crazy and have the letters not only roll toward you but seemingly end in your face
post #281 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 08:09 PM

i saw flickering with the instore unit, none with mine. dont know why.

as to the power issue, it may be a real issue or possibly a setting you changed with eco options, but then again, it only happens once a day.
post #282 of 2600 Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billh03 View Post

.The 3D flicker w/Sony glasses is something I've tried to minimize under diffent lighting conditons. I'd expect it with other flourescents in in the room, but it's still there, it's not real bad, but it's there, even with incandescents. I fear there are too many panel lights from the receiver and other components that might make it noticeable (if I turn all the lights down there are sill lots of mostly flouresent and some LED alphanumeric displays, so that could pull me into flicker. One day when a real non-animated BD-3D shows up I'll try it with NO light sources and see if the flicker vanishes.

I hope they remaster Friday the 13th in blu-ray 3D, it was hilarious a long time ago with polarized glasses in the theater. The beginning titles would start flat on the screen and the writers/producers/whatever, would go crazy and have the letters not only roll toward you but seemingly end in your face

Have you tried adjusting your emitter, I know it has three levels of adjustment for direction.
post #283 of 2600 Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 AM

[quote=theblackkeys;18917640]Have you tried adjusting your emitter, I know it has three levels of adjustment for direction

You know what i think that is the problem everyone is having its not flickering its the location of your emitter. I got mine sitting right on top of the tv and know flickering problems this tv is great
post #284 of 2600 Old 07-17-2010, 06:52 AM

[quote=jrg478;18918151]
Quote:

Have you tried adjusting your emitter, I know it has three levels of adjustment for direction

You know what i think that is the problem everyone is having its not flickering its the location of your emitter. I got mine sitting right on top of the tv and know flickering problems this tv is great

Its possible, the manual says put it on top of the TV or in front but away from the IR receiver for the remote control because it could interfere.
post #285 of 2600 Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billh03 View Post

I could only get through 15 minutes of "Cloudy" because the glasses induce flicker which makes the whole 3D thing not worth much so far, anyway.

A reviewer for WideScreenReview stated that the glasses need to warm up for 15 minutes to remove the flicker. Don't know if that's true or not, but that statement and discussion can be found in the HX909 thread.
post #286 of 2600 Old 07-17-2010, 10:49 AM

This morning the set started first try. I have checked the firmware version against the support site, unplugged the set for a couple minutes last night (watched it again before shutting off for the night, started fine then as well).

I have all the power stuff turned off, and the "quick start" is still foiled by not setting the time - unless being connected to the router can set the time, nope, just checked, "quick start" is still not there.

I saw the comment on the glasses being allowed to warm up for 15 minutes. That's astonishing, all this solid state goodness that's not so good?

Back to that quick-start, can anyone estimate the difference between a quick start and one that isn't... is it a lower level of standby that takes a few seconds longer to get to the set in operation?

Tonight I'll try moving the emitter - I had been using it right in front of bottom of the set, which is what Big Box store did and seemed to think it was fine. Maybe not. It adds a great ugliness factor if stuck to the top, but that's just me.
post #287 of 2600 Old 07-17-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I am sorry that I am posting this while not owning the HX800, but I hope it helps others like me who are/were considering this set.
Disclosure: I am upgrading from a 5-yr old 30" XBR9 CRT. I've had a Samsung UN46C6900 for a month before I returned it in favor of the LG 47LE8500 that I've had for the past two weeks. I love the LG, except for its reflective screen and minor banding issue. So, I was once again exploring options, with the HX800 at the top of my alternative list.

I just came back from the Sony Style store in San Jose, where I saw the HX800 and HX909 for the first time. Both were connected to a PS3 through some Sony AVR, with the HX800 playing the House of Flying Daggers Blu-Ray and the HX909 playing the Harry Potter: Half Blood Prince Blu-Ray. I fiddled around with the menu and changed them both to Cinema mode from Scene Select options, so that I was viewing the most accurate out-of-the-box setting Sony provided. I was shocked to find that both the HX909 and the HX800 were definitely a step or two behind the LG LE8500 in terms of picture quality.

I realize that this is as unscientific an observation as could be, given that I was comparing the Sony PQ to my memory of the LG's picture quality and with different viewing environment and source material. But my humble advice to anybody considering the HX series is to at least take a look at the LG LE8500 series before making a decision. If the Sony PQ fits your tastes better, then go with it, or else at least take the LG for an in-home audition. I have personally stricken the HX series from my list of options, and have replaced it with a Samsung B8500 if I could find one for a decent price. No offense meant to any Sony HX800 owners here. I just wanted to put down my two cents here.

If memory serves, the House of Flying Daggers Blu-ray was mastered incorrectly & thus has sub-par (for Blu) picture quality.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
post #288 of 2600 Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 AM

THe first-time o' the day startup has been fine for 2 days. Leaves questions unanswered but I'm not worthy of knowing the workings of Sony, though they've gotten my radio/TV dollars for decades.

I read the messages about 3D glasses, even set warmup (I'm old enough to remember warmup as filaments in vacuum tubes). Seems totally off-the-charts to me but it DOES help with flicker; I'm not sure if it's the electronics performing better or the brain (x-rays prove I have one in spite of what people say) just giving up and accepting the flicker. The 3D effects are stunning, but the flicker reduces the WOW factor to "good thing there isn't much to watch, I couldn't stand it."

2D PQ is excellent. I hope an XBR-HX909 arrives one day so I can stare at it (with and without flickering 3D). It could very well be brain malfunction on my part, but it seems Sony's 3D flicker is severe. The external emitter on the top makes the set look like a prop in a bad 50's sci-fi flick. I put it back on the base. It made no improvement moving it to the top. The 3D effect is impressive, for sure. I guess these are truly early days.

This set has to last a long time, I'm retired, but I'll always wonder if the 2D PQ is improved in orders of magnitude on the XBR-HX909. Is Really local dimming worth the $$$? Advice welcome!

UPDATE: I've tried putting the IR emitter everywhere, top and bottom, works the same all places. 3D Panasonic demo disc effects are great, though with horrible flicker, and Meatballs - I still haven't made it past about 20 minutes into the movie, though the flicker is less intrusive than the Panny demo... but it's still bad. The TV is great, the 3D, for me, is an unusable joke. My expectations are lowered as it seems to be the thing to do with new electronics. I read here or on another forum that some better mastered 3D BD's yield less flicker. At least I'll admit Cloudy... is less intrusive after watching for awhile, then a bright scene comes up and it's flicker city on the bright portion especially. With high refresh rate, etc., why should this be noticeable to the user? The technology isn't what it is said to be maybe (as regards flicker and glasses sync/speed??????

UPDATE2: It's a long story but I upgraded to the xbr-46HX909. I had initially ordered a xbr-46HX900 which never was to be???; for whatever reason there is much less flicker on the hx909 trying 3D briefly, but that's a side benefit someday, maybe, since there isn't much 3-D material to watch. I really wanted the full array local dimming backlight. Truth be told I really wanted the SONY logo lit (just kidding, but it looks good). I'm going a little crazy trying to use the HD Basics BD to calibrate the set, it will probably take a long time.
post #289 of 2600 Old 07-18-2010, 09:45 AM

If you think Sony's "flicker" is unacceptable , I don't think you can acceptable any 3D LCD TV that is avaiable now.

Sony handles the "flicker" problem better than Samsungand Sony 3D TVs have better 3D PQ than LG sets.

Sony is dead.
post #290 of 2600 Old 07-19-2010, 12:47 AM

a
post #291 of 2600 Old 07-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I only notice the flickering in scenes or areas with high brightness.

Has anyone registered your tv and recieved the free movies yet? If so, did you only register the tv w/ ur name, adress, model, purch date, and purch place or was there an additional form to fill out? Did you get a confirmation emailing stating that the movies will be sent to you?

I posted this concern a few pages back, but didnt get much of a reply. Thanks.

post #292 of 2600 Old 07-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member

The transmitter bar is IR, so you should be able to put it behind glass or thin cloth and still have the signal get through. It only has to be pointing roughly towards your glasses so there should be flexibilty in placing it.

Not looking forward to that on mine (should I buy one), as I also have a Wii sensor bar on top of the TV.

I'm sure next year's models will all have the transmitter built in. I understand the glasses being separate, but the transmitter is so cheap as an accessory, must be cents to build in.
post #293 of 2600 Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

Has anyone registered your tv and recieved the free movies yet? If so, did you only register the tv w/ ur name, adress, model, purch date, and purch place or was there an additional form to fill out? Did you get a confirmation emailing stating that the movies will be sent to you?

I posted this concern a few pages back, but didnt get much of a reply. Thanks.

I registered on 6/26. No additional form, and no email confirmation.

The sheet that comes with the TV says 8-10 weeks for delivery, and an email address to check. However, there is nothing on rebate-zone.com/sony that shows this promotion.
post #294 of 2600 Old 07-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

i c. When you log into sonystyle.com, click "My Account" at the top, then "backstage access"(or something similar), and once that opens there is a link that says "Show/Hide Registered Products". When i click that, it says i have no products registered. Does it say the same for you?

I'll probably end up calling the number instead of constantly posting here, but i like seeing if others are in the same boat and maybe found an answer so i dont have to sit on hold for half an hour.

post #295 of 2600 Old 07-19-2010, 04:40 PM

1 week into my tv set now... no issues with 3D flickering or as the OP had. (YET)

im totally satisfied at this point.
post #296 of 2600 Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 AM

I've been looking at this set, but when I compared a NX-700 against most any Samsung at my local best buy, there was CLEAR pixalation going on with the Sony set, where the Samsung, at least at a distance, looked to be mostly pixalation free. Not a scientific test, and I REALLY would have liked to see the new HX series personally; can anyone attest to how the picture looks on the HX-800?
post #297 of 2600 Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezin View Post

The sheet that comes with the TV says 8-10 weeks for delivery, and an email address to check. However, there is nothing on rebate-zone.com/sony that shows this promotion.

I received this email from Sony today:

Thank you for your recent submission for the Sony Purchase and Register a 3D Bravia HDTV and receive 2 Free 3D Blu-ray Discâ„¢ Movies. We have received
your submission and it is valid. We are now processing your claim.
Please allow up to 8 weeks to receive your premium item.
If you would like to check the status of your claim online, please refer
to rebate-zone.com/Sony. Your Claim ID number is XXXXXXXX.

Thank you for purchasing Sony products. We appreciate having you as our customer and look forward to serving you for years to come.
Now we invite you to register your new product at productregistration.sony.com. <---- May have to register twice to show on backstage access?

This is an automatically generated email that is unable to accommodate replies.
Please be aware that you have not been added to an email list.

Sony Rebate Center
Customer Care
post #298 of 2600 Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Perfect and thank you. I have not received an email yet but i will be waiting for it.

post #299 of 2600 Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezin View Post

Bought mine on June 18th, received the email yesterday, checked the site with the enclosed tracking number, looks like they just started processing things on July 6th, still 6 to 8 weeks out it says.
post #300 of 2600 Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 AM

Liked: 12
I have decided to return my Panasonic 54" 3D plasma in favor of the Sony hx800.

I got the deal which included 2 pair of glasses + emitter+ an excellent home theater system (at no charge); it was too good to pass up.

All tv's emit some ghosting issues even the Panasonic which I originally thought was next to perfect.

The Sony hx800 will be delivered tomorrow. I also missed the 2D to 3D conversion for gaming!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page