Official Sony KDL-xxHX800 Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 2600 Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
richard plumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

Srsly? You've obviously only seen an HX800 and HX909 next to each other at BB. Apparently you havent seen an edge lit next to a local dimming set in a darkened environment. Since you dont know any better, the very last place you should be comparing black levels is a store environment. The difference is waaaay more than just "splitting hairs". Sorry to break it to you. Lets not forget about screen uniformity either. Edge lit led lcd's have the lowest quality screen uniformity of any flat panel to date. If you would have done more research before spewing out uneducated garbage, you would have found that the reason for the lack of local dimming is mainly due to how hard the led light supply chain has been hit since multiple manufacturers started using them for tv's. Its been discussed here a thousand times already.

Bit too much to pile all edge lit TVs together? This years Sony range seems to have good uniformity. Edge lit has been demonized to a ridiculous extent on this forum. Yes it has been poor, but that doesn't mean it'll always be poor.
richard plumb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 2600 Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Jugdish69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N.E. Wisconsin
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
go check out some of the reviews on the backlit LG lx9500 series....... serious banding issues. I am returning my 9500 because of the banding and uniformity problems and going back to the sony hx800: I'd rather deal with minor clouding and blooming than with terrible banding on the entire picture.......

Who's your daddy?
Jugdish69 is offline  
post #363 of 2600 Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This "cloudy with a chance of.." getting thrown through the family room window shot of your former HX800 really begs the question, how the heck are you able to generate this condition. I think it was asked before but it really needs to be asked again. Secondly, did the panel morph into this condition with usage or was it always like this and you just didn't notice right away? Seems to me, with such pronounced "spots" like that, that this condition would look equally poor (if not more so) on solid black screens or during very dark real material/scenes. That is one egregious looking picture. Just curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigprime View Post

I just wanted to make others aware of some major issues I've had with this set since the last time I posted anything. The minor flashlighting I mentioned earlier became more apparent while watching movies and dark scenes. I'm not sure if the flashlighting actually got worse or if I just began to notice it more. It was mainly just in the lower left hand corner and lower center. I decided to exchange it for another. The replacement set looked substantially worse as seen in the picture below. The clouding was just obnoxious to me. The Sony Store staff wouldn't acknowledge that it was an issue, nor would they allow me to exchange it a second time. I even brought in pictures to no avail. They acted as if I fabricated everything, and that they would have a technician troubleshoot with me over the phone. They also offered to let me buy a different model TV, and suggested the HX909. I was just too disgusted with the way I was treated to do any further business with them. I did manage to return it for a full refund. I am still confident that Sony makes a good product but will probably never do business with Sony Style again. In fairness some of the sales staff there were very helpful and professional. I may end up picking up the HX800 somewhere else. I'm just worried that these problems are inherent to this tv or at least the initial batch of them. I'm considering the HX909 or possibly the LG 9500. I hope those of you who have bought this set already don't have a similar experience.


amatot is offline  
post #364 of 2600 Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here's some pics of my 55HX800 during the onset of evening, with the room getting darker from diminishing outdoor light. It's a craptastic Nikon point-and-shoot but it's all I have and the moire pattern you may detect isn't on the set - it's the camera. Not the best shots but good enough to show bright to dark performance. It's no exaggeration to state that actual picture performance is definitely sharper and more dynamic to the naked eye vs through a camera.
I especially like the primary colors tucked away in the corner of the Sci Channel picture.

The blacks on this set are stellar, with clouding and flashlighting a complete non-issue.

I might just actually pay a pro to calibrate this set just to see how much it can be improved upon.
LL
LL
LL
amatot is offline  
post #365 of 2600 Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Jugdish69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N.E. Wisconsin
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just returned an LG 55LX9500 backlit LED with local dimming, and picked up the 55HX800 and I have to say that the minor flashlighting and clouding seen on the HX800 are nothing compared to the banding on the LX9500. Also, the LX9500 still has flashlighting depending on how dark the background is compared to the bright object on the foreground: Due to the size of the LED zones, flashlighting is still an issue with local dimming LED. I think the HX800 is one of the top panels this year, but won't compare to local dimming LED's 2 years from now....

Who's your daddy?
Jugdish69 is offline  
post #366 of 2600 Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish69 View Post

I just returned an LG 55LX9500 backlit LED with local dimming, and picked up the 55HX800 and I have to say that the minor flashlighting and clouding seen on the HX800 are nothing compared to the banding on the LX9500. Also, the LX9500 still has flashlighting depending on how dark the background is compared to the bright object on the foreground: Due to the size of the LED zones, flashlighting is still an issue with local dimming LED. I think the HX800 is one of the top panels this year, but won't compare to local dimming LED's 2 years from now....

I totally agree that things will drastically improve in 2 years time, adding that local dimming is going to be the thing for both edge and full matrix LED. The engineers behind these sets are only going to get more sophisticated on how they guide and control the light.

As far as flashlighting, having owned an XBR2 and seeing plenty of other offending sets - for the life of me I don't see flashlighting on this model - no matter what I do to squash or boost the dynamic range.

Enjoy your set Bro, glad you found something you can live with.
amatot is offline  
post #367 of 2600 Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
hmunster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi, I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate some input from HX800 owners.
I have a fairly bright room and tried a Pan plasma, but really didn't work out too well due to lots of reflections off the bezel (obviously the screen too).
Returned it and was thinking of another plasma, but then saw the 55HX800 at a store and was literally blown away by the picture. It was being fed the 2D version of Avatar. But I have one big question.
In the beginning of the movie, the troop ship is landing on the planet and when the soldiers are disembarking the ship some appear to be almost, for lack of a better word, "cartoonish"-when they show the soldiers on the ground during certain views they appear like animated (cartoonish) rather than real actors.
Is this the dvd or how LCD tv's reproduce dvds? I hope it is the dvd, because I now have my mind set on getting this Sony-I could not believe the detail and the black-levels when the ship was in space-absolutely black as can bee, but with the stars showing and no halos.
So, basically, is the weird effect due to the Avatar 2D dvd or is this the "soap opera" effect people have mentioned on certain Samsungs?
Secondly, I was told by the Sony store salesperson that I would have less of a problem with reflections from this tv's screen than with the PanG20 that I had or with any other plasma set.
Thanks for any information.
hmunster2 is offline  
post #368 of 2600 Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Hi, I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate some input from HX800 owners.
I have a fairly bright room and tried a Pan plasma, but really didn't work out too well due to lots of reflections off the bezel (obviously the screen too).
Returned it and was thinking of another plasma, but then saw the 55HX800 at a store and was literally blown away by the picture. It was being fed the 2D version of Avatar. But I have one big question.
In the beginning of the movie, the troop ship is landing on the planet and when the soldiers are disembarking the ship some appear to be almost, for lack of a better word, "cartoonish"-when they show the soldiers on the ground during certain views they appear like animated (cartoonish) rather than real actors.
Is this the dvd or how LCD tv's reproduce dvds? I hope it is the dvd, because I now have my mind set on getting this Sony-I could not believe the detail and the black-levels when the ship was in space-absolutely black as can bee, but with the stars showing and no halos.
So, basically, is the weird effect due to the Avatar 2D dvd or is this the "soap opera" effect people have mentioned on certain Samsungs?
Secondly, I was told by the Sony store salesperson that I would have less of a problem with reflections from this tv's screen than with the PanG20 that I had or with any other plasma set.
Thanks for any information.

That soap opera effect is really noticable with Motion Flow set to Smooth. If you go back there to look some more, grab the remote and start turning stuff off so you can see what all the post processing is doing to the picture. Be methodical about it, not changing too much stuff in one fell swoop. I haven't watched Avatar on this set yet so I can't comment specifically on the scene you're talking about but I would be willing to bet it's the Motion Flow.

My old man owns an Elite Plasma, which are known for decent ambient light absorbing coatings on their screens. This set blows all that away. If you've lived with reflections before, you'll be pleasantly surprised with this set. No doubt about it.
amatot is offline  
post #369 of 2600 Old 08-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatot View Post

Best Buys around my venue don't have the HX909 on display, only Frys. But Best Buys and Magnolia showrooms do have home theater demo rooms, with dimmers, so there's plenty of opportunity to see various sets in controlled lighting environments. It is splitting hairs. And your comment about "store environments" speaks for itself. And FWIW, the Opti screens are specifically designed to enhance the perception of black levels and contrast in well lit environments, so if it was SO BITCHIN, then it should naturally look better in stated well lit environments; certainly against any lesser panel, no?

Don't feel so threatened. It's only TV.

It isnt splitting hairs no matter how much you think it is. If the difference is not that big of a deal TO YOU then you're better off saving money going edge lit. But dont pretend that the extra cost of local dimming offers no difference in PQ because it absolutely does. Every major reviewer with a shred of credibility seems to agree. The difference between 0 luminance locally dimmed led's and a constant black level of .016ftl (which is what high end edge lit models measure close to) is extremely obvious during dark scenes and night time viewing. Many people are willing to spend the extra money to get best lcd possible. Whether or not the extra price involved is worth it is solely up to the individual.
Tony6225 is offline  
post #370 of 2600 Old 08-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard plumb View Post

Bit too much to pile all edge lit TVs together? This years Sony range seems to have good uniformity. Edge lit has been demonized to a ridiculous extent on this forum. Yes it has been poor, but that doesn't mean it'll always be poor.

I agree. It does seem like the 2010 Sony's have better uniformity than the Samsung and LG edge lit models which are horrible. That being said, its still a big toss up. I'm throwing around the idea of getting an HX800 once prices drop to around $2K. I'm really interested in a 3D lcd for all the sweet games that are coming out. The problem is that I'll be coming from a plasma with perfect uniformity and only 15ms of input lag. I may end up having to wait till next year to find the deal I'm looking for.
Tony6225 is offline  
post #371 of 2600 Old 08-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

I agree. It does seem like the 2010 Sony's have better uniformity than the Samsung and LG edge lit models which are horrible. That being said, its still a big toss up. I'm throwing around the idea of getting an HX800 once prices drop to around $2K. I'm really interested in a 3D lcd for all the sweet games that are coming out. The problem is that I'll be coming from a plasma with perfect uniformity and only 15ms of input lag. I may end up having to wait till next year to find the deal I'm looking for.

This is the only part of your post I COMPLETELY agree with: Whether or not the extra price involved is worth it is solely up to the individual.
No argument here. Free market dynamics rock!

Beyond that,

"Perfect uniformity"?
"Input lag" of only "15 ms"?
Wow! I'm impressed. A guy who can see panel plane black level outputs of 0.016fL compared to 0 luminance despite all the physical real-world environmental factors that can and do interact & influence the human retina, or the perception of light?
Stray light, distance, angle, changing barometric pressure and humidity levels - not to mention more generalized metabolic factors and the geometry of the human eye.
The bridge from the digital to the analog world is a hard pill to swallow. Ponder that for a while...

Yeah, like I said, splitting hairs - and a perfectionist ta boot.
You just completed my entertainment on this most excellent Friday evening.
Tony, you remind of all these old school audiophiles that think they can hear these extremely minute differences in total harmonic distortion or extensions in frequency response beyond 20 kHz. But that's cool, being idealistic and striving for the best does have it's virtues.

/me tips his glass of Heineken to you!

amatot is offline  
post #372 of 2600 Old 08-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatot View Post

This is the only part of your post I COMPLETELY agree with: Whether or not the extra price involved is worth it is solely up to the individual.
No argument here. Free market dynamics rock!

Beyond that,

"Perfect uniformity"?
"Input lag" of only "15 ms"?
Wow! I'm impressed. A guy who can see panel plane black level outputs of 0.016fL compared to 0 luminance despite all the physical real-world environmental factors that can and do interact & influence the human retina, or the perception of light?

Apparently you just refuse to understand. I know it must hurt to find out that you actually didnt end up getting the best performing set out there at a low end price point. Try telling any calibrator on this forum that there is no perceivable difference between 0 light and .016ftl and you'll just get laughed at. BTW, its not simply the shades of black that we are talking about here. The minimum luminance characteristics of a panel affect many aspects of a panel's overall PQ. A lot of people are willing to pay the extra money for the added benefits of local dimming, and because of that manufacturers are producing local dimming technology. You agree with these free market principles, but then you try to bash me for being a perfectionist. You contradict yourself and your argument is weak. Just enjoy the set you have instead of pretending that everyone who spent more money on a higher end panel fell into some kind of trap.
Tony6225 is offline  
post #373 of 2600 Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Don't confuse my acceptance of the Free Market postulate that "it's up to the individual to decide if the value proposition is worth the extra coin" with somehow being a contradiction. People paying more for something based on specmanship doesn't make the discussion factually based. Go research the concept of subjective perception, especially as it relates to human senses like hearing and sight. It might help to learn to read first though.

Measuring panel level luminance levels with a fixed precision device, right at the surface plane doesn't necessarily translate to perception at the naked eye level and at typical viewing distances. Grow up and go work on your debating skills.
No longer interested troll.
amatot is offline  
post #374 of 2600 Old 08-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
SpeedDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up my KDL-40HX800 for free last week as a replacement and am extremely happy with it. It took my local Sony Style store 9 months to replace my KDL-40XBR9 that I bought back in December (since Sony immediately ran out of stock a week after I bought my XBR9). This set is a massive improvement from last years top-of-the-line XBR9. I originally requested the replacement due to the backlight flashlighting and clouding on the XBR9 which my HX800 doesn't have a problem with at all.

Additionally, the HX800 has great black-levels with the dynamic LED lighting set to Low (Standard is too extreme).

I'm using the following settings:

Scene Select: General
Ambient Sensor: Off
Eco Settings: Off
RGB Dynamic Range: Auto
Color Matrix: Auto
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: Min
Picture: 90
Brightness: 50
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 2
Black Corrector: Off
ACE: Off
Gamma: +1
LED Dynamic Control: Low
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance...
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -7
B-Gain: -4
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

I highly recommend this TV but the price is a little high at the moment and I'm sure it will drop come the holiday season.
SpeedDemon is offline  
post #375 of 2600 Old 08-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatot View Post

Don't confuse my acceptance of the Free Market postulate that "it's up to the individual to decide if the value proposition is worth the extra coin" with somehow being a contradiction. People paying more for something based on specmanship doesn't make the discussion factually based. Go research the concept of subjective perception, especially as it relates to human senses like hearing and sight. It might help to learn to read first though.

Measuring panel level luminance levels with a fixed precision device, right at the surface plane doesn't necessarily translate to perception at the naked eye level and at typical viewing distances. Grow up and go work on your debating skills.
No longer interested troll.

Now that you've reduced yourself down to name calling, its even more clear that you dont really know what you are talking about. It always great to see when someone who has barely contributed to this forum goes off and calls someone else a troll.

Since perception varies from person to person, and you have a hard time perceiving large differences in the black levels of some panels, I figured I could help you out and recommend you a Dynex lcd. Check one out. You can end up saving close to $2,000! Sure, you may end up only having outdated black levels from 5 years ago but who cares? In the end the difference it just splitting hairs anyways....
Tony6225 is offline  
post #376 of 2600 Old 08-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post

I picked up my KDL-40HX800 for free last week as a replacement and am extremely happy with it. It took my local Sony Style store 9 months to replace my KDL-40XBR9 that I bought back in December (since Sony immediately ran out of stock a week after I bought my XBR9). This set is a massive improvement from last years top-of-the-line XBR9. I originally requested the replacement due to the backlight flashlighting and clouding on the XBR9 which my HX800 doesn't have a problem with at all.

Additionally, the HX800 has great black-levels with the dynamic LED lighting set to Low (Standard is too extreme).

Thanks for the settings!

When you guys enable dynamic LED, do you notice any black crush problems at all?
Tony6225 is offline  
post #377 of 2600 Old 08-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
SpeedDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

Thanks for the settings!

When you guys enable dynamic LED, do you notice any black crush problems at all?

I haven't noticed a black crush problem at this point but I honestly have some more calibrating to do.
SpeedDemon is offline  
post #378 of 2600 Old 08-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Newbie
 
KuzuRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Japan
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
quick question: Does anyone know the specs for the VGA port on the HX800 (or LX900/HX900 series for that matter)?

Specifically, I would like to know if it can handle 720p component resolution.

Thank you!
KuzuRanger is offline  
post #379 of 2600 Old 08-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
SpeedDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuzuRanger View Post

quick question: Does anyone know the specs for the VGA port on the HX800 (or LX900/HX900 series for that matter)?

Specifically, I would like to know if it can handle 720p component resolution.

Thank you!

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/imanua...nectpc_uc.html
SpeedDemon is offline  
post #380 of 2600 Old 08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
SpeedDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured its worth mentioning that the remote that comes with this TV is horrible. It doesn't even have a pause button which makes it impossible to use with my Sony Blu-ray player.

I have a couple extra Logitech Harmony Remotes lying around so I'll use one of those instead, but I figured that its worth mentioning for people who plan on buying the TV and using its HDMI CEC.

FWIW, my Sony XBR9 came with an awesome remote that was backlit and could easily control all my devices.
SpeedDemon is offline  
post #381 of 2600 Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Took in some baseball today and the 49er/Vikings game tonight on Sunday Night Football. In an effort see if we could get skintones to look more natural on an average basis (since Comcast HD can run all over the map), here's what we settled on. Never been a big fan of "enhancement" settings on other sets but this one was a bit of a surprise; Live Color. Ratcheted down the Color Level to 45 and turned Live Color on Low. Skintones moved ever so slightly into a more natural character.


Scene Mode : General

Picture Mode : Standard
Backlight : 5
Picture : 70
Brightness : 50
Color : 45
Hue : 0
Color Temp : Neutral
Sharpness : 10
Noise Reduction : Low
MPEG Noise Reduction : Off

Motion Flow : Standard
Cinemotion : Off

Black Corrector : Medium
Adv Contrast Enhancer : Medium
Gamma : 0
LED Dynamic Control : Low
Auto Light Limiter : Low
Clear White : Off
Live Color : Low

White Balance Factory Default
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 0
B-Gain 0
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0

Color Matrix : Auto
RGB Dynamic Range : Auto

Eco : On
Power Save : Low
Ambient Light Sensor : Off


Now to spend some quality time on getting the old Bluray settings dialed in...
amatot is offline  
post #382 of 2600 Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
hmunster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I know that comcast's signal variation from one channel to another is sometimes dramatic, but are you having an issue with skintones on the live cable news channels and live local news? I would think that these would be good.
Does the HX800 have an issue producing accurate skintones?
hmunster2 is offline  
post #383 of 2600 Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

I know that comcast's signal variation from one channel to another is sometimes dramatic, but are you having an issue with skintones on the live cable news channels and live local news? I would think that these would be good.
Does the HX800 have an issue producing accurate skintones?

Live news and sports looked pretty darn good with our prior settings and look even more natural now. Issues? I wouldn't call it issues per se, just more or less dialing in a personal preference, like getting skintones to lean more pinkish instead of greenish. It's all rather subtle to be quite honest. The problem with cable feeds is that over the long list of channels you can get some extreme variance in color representation in general, thereby making it a task to get the average to look good across all content whilst countering those commercials, channels and whatnot that appear overly saturated or simply "off" because of the poor source material. The true test of any TV IMHO is how colors are reproduced on more controlled feeds which means bluray. As I had mentioned previously, the key is getting the average to be good overall, balanced with best color representation achievable on the better, reference channels.

Using Live Color seems to warm the skintones, without shifting everything else out of wack, when coupled with the Neutral color temp setting and the lowered Color level. Using Live Color definitely appears more limited or controlled than simply using the Warm color temp settings that shift the entire gamut, which can end up poluting the whites. YMMV. Maybe the Warm settings in conjunction with Clear White are a good alternate combination but I've not tried that and don't see the need - we're liking what we see now.

Here's what we consider reference channels:

Local NBC
Local ABC
Local FOX (49er games look freaking awesome)
CNN
ESPN
Comcast Sports
Science HD
CNBC

During the 49er/Vikings game, the field was changing from brightly lit to evening shadows and when players moved from the sun to the shade the HX800 did an outstanding job of reproducing the reds and purples of the uniforms as well as very pleasing skintones, no matter the level or balance of sunlight to stadium light present. The jerseys were bright in the sun, just like they look in person, without looking on fire or fluorescent - if that makes any sense.

And to key in on what you said, yes, live feeds in HD tend to look the best - that or well produced shows like those found on HD Theater, Sci Channel (not to be confused with SyFy) and TLC.
We watched the Mecum Auction Saturday night and all the cars looked phenomenal.
amatot is offline  
post #384 of 2600 Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
hmunster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks Amatot-I still haven't purchased the set yet, just wanted to make sure no "issues". Yesterday spent about an hour with a great salesperson in Best Buy, we switched between the Sony and the Pan VT25 using the Avatar 2D and a standard def dvd of mine. The Sony gives more of a 3D effect with the motion flow on smooth, but when off, I'd say both sets give excellent pictures-the sales guy said he thought the color accuracy was better on the Pan, but for my bright room, he'd choose the Sony.
He thinks these are currently the 2 best sets they have.
Waiting now to see if any other price reductions occur with the Sony, or any package deal with the 3D-bluray player (unfortunately the Sony 3D players don't have 5.1 analog outs, which I need to feed lossless to my old receiver). Interesting point, the first time we played the avatar disc on the pan 3D-player, it was fine, but second time it broke up all over the place and finally just froze-no problem with the sony player.
Again, thanks for your input.
hmunster2 is offline  
post #385 of 2600 Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Thanks Amatot-I still haven't purchased the set yet, just wanted to make sure no "issues". Yesterday spent about an hour with a great salesperson in Best Buy, we switched between the Sony and the Pan VT25 using the Avatar 2D and a standard def dvd of mine. The Sony gives more of a 3D effect with the motion flow on smooth, but when off, I'd say both sets give excellent pictures-the sales guy said he thought the color accuracy was better on the Pan, but for my bright room, he'd choose the Sony.
He thinks these are currently the 2 best sets they have.
Waiting now to see if any other price reductions occur with the Sony, or any package deal with the 3D-bluray player (unfortunately the Sony 3D players don't have 5.1 analog outs, which I need to feed lossless to my old receiver). Interesting point, the first time we played the avatar disc on the pan 3D-player, it was fine, but second time it broke up all over the place and finally just froze-no problem with the sony player.
Again, thanks for your input.

Anytime Bro and best of luck to ya in that hunt for a good deal. Prices dropped big-time on these sets from the original MSRP and I can see them going down even further once the holiday shopping season kicks into gear - at least a few more C notes.
amatot is offline  
post #386 of 2600 Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sony site shows the 55HX800 with the same lowered price but now it includes the complete glasses and transmitter bundle.

UPDATE:

Same bundle offered at the store everybody likes to hate.
amatot is offline  
post #387 of 2600 Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here's some more picture feedback utilizing our latest Rev 1 display settings:

ESPN, Monday Night Football, Titans Vs. Cardinals

As to be expected skintones looked really natural and not overly saturated. With the game in Nashville, the skies were overcast for the beginning of the game, so the field lighting was a blend of the stadium floods and diffuse natural light. This made the field and the actual stadium look kind of dull but the Titan and Cardinal uniforms looked color accurate and crisp - powder blue and a deep almost wine colored red, respectively. The bright polished white of both teams helmets looked completely natural and not "on-fire" white like you might expect from an otherwise overly amped picture setting or hot broadcast. Having now watched three football games on 3 different HD channels I can safely say that the display settings we've settled on show solid performance in our viewing environment, at various times of the day and night - no matter if it's daytime soaps, local news, Sports Center or the cable news channels. Live Color set Low and restrained by a Neutral picture mode and lowered Color setting seems to do a super job without a hint of over doing it. When ESPN would run player spotlight graphics, stats and such, between plays or upon returning from a commercial break, colors looked really accurate as well. It's worth noting that MNF graphics incorporate a lot of black this year (or at least for this preseason) and this set renders them very deep with moderately low ambient room lighting.

One final note, we switched between the Smooth and Standard Motion Flow settings throughout the game and only noticed infrequent and minor judder on the Smooth mode - but you really had to be looking for it. Smooth mode behaved just as advertised, perceivable but not unnatural in any way; nothing like the "soap opera" effect we noticed during movies.
amatot is offline  
post #388 of 2600 Old 08-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
UCFKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for that, amatot. Keep us updated on what you watch next!

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
UCFKevin is offline  
post #389 of 2600 Old 08-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Jugdish69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N.E. Wisconsin
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
initial settings I am using:

Picture Mode : Standard
Backlight : 3
Picture : 81
Brightness : 47
Color : 49
Hue : 0
Color Temp : Neutral
Sharpness : 2
Noise Reduction : Low
MPEG Noise Reduction : Low

Motion Flow : Off
Cinemotion : Auto 1

Black Corrector : Low
Adv Contrast Enhancer : Low
Gamma : +1
LED Dynamic Control : Low
Auto Light Limiter : Off
Clear White : Off
Live Color : Low

White Balance Factory Default
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 0
B-Gain 0
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0

Color Matrix : Auto
RGB Dynamic Range : Auto

Eco : Off
Power Save : Off
Ambient Light Sensor : Off

My setup is a blacked out home theater room, and with these settings, I have slight blooming in dark scenes especially on the right side of the screen, where there is slight flashlighting.

Who's your daddy?
Jugdish69 is offline  
post #390 of 2600 Old 08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for posting your setup Jug!
amatot is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off