Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2601 Old 09-03-2010, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl10 View Post

For folks that bought the HX800... what made you buy this set over others? What was the deciding factor? Also, which ones were close runner-ups? Thanks!

Sony handles motion and and compressed signals from cable providers better than all. The Samsung C6500 drove me crazy with its glare, clouds, light leakage, and jittery picture. The LG 5400 was a dull matt screen but pretty solid. In the end, I wanted a good looking (thin) LCD that did 2d really well and had an ethernet port. I have heard good things about the C8000, but I believe it will still have a stutter during some panning scenes and dont like to deal with the panel lottery. Try one and return it if you dont like it.

I am beyond thrilled with my 55HX800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2601 Old 09-04-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatot View Post

Looks like Sony pushed a new update overnight.

Previous F/W PKG4.065AAT

New F/W PKG4.070AAT

No mention of it on the Sony site so I can't tell you what's been changed.

It's up now.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...mdl=KDL55HX800
post #453 of 2601 Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezin View Post

It's up now.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...mdl=KDL55HX800

Cool, thanks.

What's lame about this version is that it's a complete duplicate (from a description point of view) of what they listed out for the 4.065 release a few weeks back. I suppose they found something still goofed up.

A couple things we did notice is that our sound settings reverted back to defaults. All the picture, power and network settings stayed set as before but the sound settings rolled back to Dynamic with surround and steady settings set to off. We're noticing the sets volume levels have gained up a bit from before too, where we are not having to turn it up as much when watching Comcast. And before anyone asks, no, the volume offset is still at a default setting of zero.
post #454 of 2601 Old 09-05-2010, 01:12 PM

Hi Guys

Just got my 40HX800.

How do I enter the picture settings menu in HDMI 1, 2, 3 ect?

Thank you
post #455 of 2601 Old 09-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgilen View Post

Hi Guys

Just got my 40HX800.

How do I enter the picture settings menu in HDMI 1, 2, 3 ect?

Thank you

Just select any of the inputs one at a time, and while you're viewing whatever hit the Options button on the remote and go into the Picture Settings or use the Home button instead and enter the XMB menus & slide over to the picture setup that way, making whatever adjustments you want. The TV stores unique settings individually for each input automatically and if you're lazy, you can select Common settings at the top of the item list and it will make them "common", copying to all - which is pretty handy.

Enjoy!

post #456 of 2601 Old 09-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Does the HX800 have discrete source inputs (i.e. not having to cycle through them all to change from one source to another)? Thanks!
post #457 of 2601 Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:

Just select any of the inputs one at a time, and while you're viewing whatever hit the Options button on the remote and go into the Picture Settings or use the Home button instead and enter the XMB menus & slide over to the picture setup that way, making whatever adjustments you want. The TV stores unique settings individually for each input automatically and if you're lazy, you can select Common settings at the top of the item list and it will make them "common", copying to all - which is pretty handy.

Enjoy!

Thanks but have already tried this since I had the z5500 before this one, and it worked in the same way. I'll try again tonight.
post #458 of 2601 Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 AM

Dont ask, but for some reason Monster's Screen Clean(No alcohol) was sprayed on my new HX800 to clean some smudges. DO NOT EVER USE ANYTHING BUT A MILD SOAP AND WATER TO CLEAN. I am sure most of you know that, but I felt it might help someone avoid a colossal mistake.

There was residue, blotches and streaks all over the TV. It was like this for over 24 hours as I researched what to do

Solution - After letting the TV cool down, I used a slightly damp with Distilled water Sham wow to massage the spots and streaks and them buffed gently with a dry Shamwow.

The TV was less than 10 days old and I was so angry, but it is all better now.

Phew...
post #459 of 2601 Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriegs View Post

Dont ask, but for some reason Monster's Screen Clean(No alcohol) was sprayed on my new HX800 to clean some smudges. DO NOT EVER USE ANYTHING BUT A MILD SOAP AND WATER TO CLEAN. I am sure most of you know that, but I felt it might help someone avoid a colossal mistake.

There was residue, blotches and streaks all over the TV. It was like this for over 24 hours as I researched what to do

Solution - After letting the TV cool down, I used a slightly damp with Distilled water Sham wow to massage the spots and streaks and them buffed gently with a dry Shamwow.

The TV was less than 10 days old and I was so angry, but it is all better now.

Phew...

That Monster spray is a garbage product; the residue it leaves behind is simply astounding. Distilled water and a micro-fiber cloth is the only way to go!
post #460 of 2601 Old 09-06-2010, 10:15 AM

I just pulled the trigger on this set and have a couple of stand questions. What is a good stand? I really liked the BDIs they had in the sony store, but is there something a little less pricey?
post #461 of 2601 Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbie69 View Post

I just pulled the trigger on this set and have a couple of stand questions. What is a good stand? I really liked the BDIs they had in the sony store, but is there something a little less pricey?

Any stand that goes with your furniture will do. Just make sure there is room for the base of the tv and you're set. Also make sure it can support the weight.
post #462 of 2601 Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Scene Mode : General

Picture Mode : Standard
Backlight : 5
Picture : 90
Brightness : 50
Color : 50
Hue : 0
Color Temp : Neutral
Sharpness : 5
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction : Off

Motion Flow : Standard
Cinemotion : Off

Black Corrector : Medium
Adv Contrast Enhancer : Medium
Gamma : 0
LED Dynamic Control : Standard
Auto Light Limiter : Medium
Clear White : Off
Live Color : Medium

White Balance Factory Default
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 0
B-Gain 0
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0

Color Matrix : Auto
RGB Dynamic Range : Auto

Eco : On
Power Save : Low
Ambient Light Sensor : Off

-----------------------------------------------

PS3 Display Settings

RGB Range : Full
Super White : On
Deep Color : Automatic

-----------------------------------------------

So after watching a few of our reference flix and then noting what I thought could be improved upon I went back to the D-V-E HD Basics disks and proceeded to go through the advanced test patterns. One thing I'll mention is my approach of not changing too many things at one time during the process of getting to know the set. What I mean by this is, I made a conscious decision to not spend too much time futsing around with two key parameters: Sharpness and Backlight. I treated fleshtones the same way when I was first getting acquainted with the set and getting things dialed in for Comcast. I left it for last.

Tonite I decided to see if I could take some of the edge off of bluray movies by revisiting the D-V-E Overscan pattern and studying it for edge noise as a result of sharpness control. What I saw was a distinct addition of edge noise to the Overscan grid so I started to tweak it downward until I was satisfied I had removed that additional noise - something I totally bypassed up until this point in time. What I found is that at "0", the pattern turned ever-so soft or blurry. To my eyes, the proper setting is somewhere between 1 and 5 for bluray feeds. I'm leaving it at 5 until we can roll through some more movies.

The other thing I am still trying to avoid is adjusting the backlighting from a centerline setting of 5. There's a lot of varying posts where people say you should drive that number down as far as you can get it before you experience too much shadow crush or lack of top end brightness. I don't disagree with this approach but I haven't wanted to introduce a third global variable to the brightness and contrast equation. Reducing the background light output level on a global level, in conjuntion with dynamic light controls enabled AND brightness & contrast settings (which control the pixel twist dynamic range) seems a bit too complicated. So in a nutshell, I think it's wise to save the ultimate backlight level tweaking once you've gained some good experience with sliding around the other controls to your liking.

One last thing worth noting. I scored one of those "sweet deal" Sony BDP-S1000ES bluray players for a secondary setup but I have it connected to this TV thru my Pio 94TXH for some A/B testing. I'm happy to report that this unit kicks some serious a$$ and the picture quality mimics that of the PS3 - with these Rev 1 settings - which in the digital domain, it how it's suppose to work. For the record, I turned off all the DSP crap in the 1000ES that's provided to smooth and refine the picture. I saw no need for it. I did force a 4:4:4 color space though.
post #463 of 2601 Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 PM

Liked: 16
A few more days...
post #464 of 2601 Old 09-12-2010, 06:21 PM

Does anyone here have their HX800 connected to Direct TV's 3D Channels?
If so, how good is the Direct TV 3D on the HX800?
post #465 of 2601 Old 09-12-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuup1dmofo View Post

A few more days...

Same here. I'll be receiving a Bravia KDL40HX800 in a couple of days.
There's a really great review on this Bravia 3D 40" at cnet. 9/10 and they even dare to call it one of the best 3D TV's of the year.

http://www.cnet.com.au/sony-bravia-k...-339303819.htm

Just not sure if the HX800 models are compatible with Direct TV's 3D Channels.
post #466 of 2601 Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx1 View Post

Does anyone here have their HX800 connected to Direct TV's 3D Channels?
If so, how good is the Direct TV 3D on the HX800?

Have a 46" and 55". Both work fine with DirecTV.

The 3D channels look great.
post #467 of 2601 Old 09-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezin View Post

Have a 46" and 55". Both work fine with DirecTV.

The 3D channels look great.

Fantastic! Thanks, geezin.
post #468 of 2601 Old 09-14-2010, 12:28 AM

Interesting settings amatot.
When you compare your settings with the "theatre" settings from sony, what difference do you see?
Some of your settings i use with SD Content.
But when i look BD i have deaktivated all picture optimizer.
Only MF clear is activated, i like it. It looks better to me than standard.
Your opinion to the sharpness is very informatic. I change often between sharpness min and 3 or 4. Depending on the contend i think the soft or the sharp version is better. I never had this effect before with my former Sony.
post #469 of 2601 Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattberlin View Post

Interesting settings amatot.
When you compare your settings with the "theatre" settings from sony, what difference do you see?
Some of your settings i use with SD Content.
But when i look BD i have deaktivated all picture optimizer.
Only MF clear is activated, i like it. It looks better to me than standard.
Your opinion to the sharpness is very informatic. I change often between sharpness min and 3 or 4. Depending on the contend i think the soft or the sharp version is better. I never had this effect before with my former Sony.

Theater mode drives the picture to much to the reds/yellows because of the inherent warm color temp selection, with the white purity really suffering. Black levels come up too much and the picture becomes sort of soft in my view. Like all the other memory setting spaces this one can also be customized so I think the real value in the Theater mode button is it's ability to become a one touch "alternate" setting option, but it's defaults look way off to me. If somehow this mode is supposed to mimic the Theater experience then I don't see it unless we are talking a theater with a projector lamp that is aging and film stock that is turning yellow.

I've tried going with Clear1 on the motionflow but I keep going back to standard as a personal preference. I find the difference between going from Standard to Clear1 much smaller than say going from Standard to Smooth.
post #470 of 2601 Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 AM

Yay... I went for the 55HX800. It is due for delivery tomorrow! I'm really excited. Nothing short of a fantastic price too! Now I guess I'll be joining you all trying various settings to get the most out of the set. I am no expert when it comes to adjusting a TV like this so I'll be looking at and trying the various ideas/settings you guys post. So the work you all do to fine tune your sets and posting here helps a great deal so thanks and keep it up!
post #471 of 2601 Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yay... I went for the 55HX800. It is due for delivery tomorrow! I'm really excited. Nothing short of a fantastic price too! Now I guess I'll be joining you all trying various settings to get the most out of the set. I am no expert when it comes to adjusting a TV like this so I'll be looking at and trying the various ideas/settings you guys post. So the work you all do to fine tune your sets and posting here helps a great deal so thanks and keep it up!

Congrats! Did you score a bundled deal or just the set?
post #472 of 2601 Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 AM

A great price AND the bundle. I've read dozens of user's comments about this set at several reseller sites. Everyone gives the set 5 stars except a few that gave lower because 3D was not included. But since the bundle included it, I look at this set as a full 3D rather than 3D ready. I'm going to sell the blue ray HT system that comes with it (since I already have a sound system and I purchased a PS3 for blue rays). So in my mind, I'm deducting what money I will get realistically get for that. Forum rules don't allow me to post what my deal was but I'm VERY happy with it. Now, I hope I'll be just as happy with the actual set when it comes! I saw this set in person at only one store and was impressed with how well it held color off angle (even though official reviews of this set said off angle was poor). Hopefully my set will be the same and the good performance of the one I saw wasn't just a fluke. I'll find out tomorrow! :^)
post #473 of 2601 Old 09-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A great price AND the bundle. I've read dozens of user's comments about this set at several reseller sites. Everyone gives the set 5 stars except a few that gave lower because 3D was not included. But since the bundle included it, I look at this set as a full 3D rather than 3D ready. I'm going to sell the blue ray HT system that comes with it (since I already have a sound system and I purchased a PS3 for blue rays). So in my mind, I'm deducting what money I will get realistically get for that. Forum rules don't allow me to post what my deal was but I'm VERY happy with it. Now, I hope I'll be just as happy with the actual set when it comes! I saw this set in person at only one store and was impressed with how well it held color off angle (even though official reviews of this set said off angle was poor). Hopefully my set will be the same and the good performance of the one I saw wasn't just a fluke. I'll find out tomorrow! :^)

Cool!

And yes, I found the more official looking reviews to be a bit off in terms of their subjective evaluation of this series, with viewing angles being far greater than expected and not seeing the "blue-ish" blacks frequently talked about.

Good luck and Enjoy!
post #474 of 2601 Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 PM

hello guys.
i'm a sony hx800 owner and i have a really big problem. i really cannot make it work in 3d with powerdvd10. the tv is conected to a HTPC via HDMI v.1.4 cable. i bought powerdvd 10, applied mark II patch. My HTPC configuration is i3 530 cpu, ati hd5600 1gb ddr5. can anyoane give an advise?
thanx in advance.
post #475 of 2601 Old 09-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Just received my 40HX800. Really great quality TV.
Great 3D. No ghost effects and Direct TV's 3D channels also look fantastic!

Now all we need is MORE 3D CONTENT.

But still great!
post #476 of 2601 Old 09-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx1 View Post

Just received my 40HX800. Really great quality TV.
Great 3D. No ghost effects and Direct TV's 3D channels also look fantastic!

Now all we need is MORE 3D CONTENT.

But still great!

Congrats!

I'm going for the forty on a second setup/360 gaming rig very soon.

Glad to hear you're happy. Enjoy that beast.
post #477 of 2601 Old 09-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

We enabled Netflix this evening and I'm happy to report it works like a champ!

It's nice not having to fire up that power sink of a PS3 just to watch the Instant Queue. We were a tad bit skeptical going into it but the loading performance and playback was indeed snappy.
post #478 of 2601 Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0po View Post

hello guys.
i'm a sony hx800 owner and i have a really big problem. i really cannot make it work in 3d with powerdvd10. the tv is conected to a HTPC via HDMI v.1.4 cable. i bought powerdvd 10, applied mark II patch. My HTPC configuration is i3 530 cpu, ati hd5600 1gb ddr5. can anyoane give an advise?
thanx in advance.

Cyberlink just released an update to PowerDVD 10 yesterday,

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/s...es_en_US.html#

Maybe this will solve you problem.
post #479 of 2601 Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Congrats!

I'm going for the forty on a second setup/360 gaming rig very soon.

Glad to hear you're happy. Enjoy that beast.

Thanks, amatot.
Yeah, these Sony Bravia's are simply amazing TV sets. My 3rd Sony so far with this latest one in 3D. Great quality. I once owned a Panasonic Plasma a while back and while the picture quality was just as great, the electrical bills weren't. Along side the fact that plasmas can also make any small room feel like a oven.

Had enough of plasma and went with the best LCD makers, Sony. Not only do they rock in LCD but now they also rock in 3D. I would highly recomend these 3D HX800 series to anyone. Plasma HD & 3D quality at half the LCD HD & 3D price.

Sony should rename the Bravia to Bravo!
post #480 of 2601 Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 PM

Here is a link to a new set, but just for the Japanese market. This is from the "Sony Insider" web site. Looks good for them. Haven't posted to this board in years, but these new sets look good and it might be time for an upgrade!
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/08/3...dvd-500gb-dvr/
Hope it works.

Davedubya
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page