post #541 of 2602 Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

Amalot is right. Prices at BB are insanely low, but you have to go into the store for the package price. I just got over $300 refunded from my package deal of two weeks ago, last night, to match the new price.

Omar

:thumbs up:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2602 Old 10-07-2010, 03:18 PM

Liked: 10
is $1,299.00 a good price for this set?
post #543 of 2602 Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotust View Post

is $1,299.00 a good price for this set?

Are you kidding me? That's cheaper than most the best offerings in a 40" HX800. Where?
post #544 of 2602 Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty informative review, with settings, comments, etc.

Sony KDL40HX803 Review

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...0100925858.htm
post #545 of 2602 Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Pretty informative review, with settings, comments, etc.

Sony KDL40HX803 Review

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...0100925858.htm

Good Stuff! Thanks for posting that!

Interestingly enough, here's another review that seems to suggest Warm1 is the way to go on color temp, with blue-ish whites being the gripe. We see the cool blue-ish tainted whites when we tried the Cool setting but Neutral does seem to strike a nice balance overall. Setting Warm1 and then jacking around with White Balance seems to us to be a circumvent way to get back to a neutral perspective. I attribute our tastes to the influence of ambient lighting, where incandescent room lighting effects the perception of white to the naked eye. Since we don't watch movies in a fully darkened room I think that might be the difference maker equating panel plane measurements to something not representative to what the naked eye actually picks up at normal viewing distances - but that's a matter of debatable preference and a huge grey area in the discussion of the perception of color and light and how it's up for grabs once you move away from the plane of measurement. Also, noting how many features are left off in this review it seems reasonable that certain combinations of settings - most noteably Live Color - shift the color spectrum.

I did find that their recommendation to leave Gamma at default interesting because we have taken a liking to what Omar suggested and have been using -1 for a few weeks now with very pleasing results.

Anyway, great information post. Thanks Again!
post #546 of 2602 Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Anyone know if there is a similar thread (w configuration settings) for the NX810?
post #547 of 2602 Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatot View Post

Good Stuff! Thanks for posting that!

Interestly enough, here's another review that seems to suggest Warm1 is the way to go on color temp, with blue-ish whites being the gripe. We see the cool blue-ish tainted whites when we tried the Cool setting but Neutral does seem to strike a nice balance overall. Setting Warm1 and then jacking around with White Balance seems to us to be a circumvent way to get back to a neutral perspective. I attribute our tastes to the influence of ambient lighting, where incandescent room lighting effects the perception of white to the naked eye. Since we don't watch movies in a fully darkened room I think that might be the difference maker equating panel plane measurements to something not representative to what the naked eye actually picks up at normal viewing distances - but that's a matter of debatable preference and a huge grey area in the discussion of the perception of color and light and how it's up for grabs once you move away from the plane of measurement. Also, noting how many features are left off in this review it seems reasonable that certain combinations of settings - most noteably Live Color - shift the color spectrum.

I did find that their recommendation to leave Gamma at default interesting because we have taken a liking to what Omar suggested and have been using -1 for a few weeks now with very pleasing results.

Anyway, great information post. Thanks Again!

There's a very good and informative article about professional calibrations here: http://www.hdtvetc.com/hdtv/should-i...te-my-hdtv.php
post #548 of 2602 Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Hello All,

Just returned a Samsung UN40C6300 in favor of the Sony 40HX800.
I liked the PQ on the Samy, but I just wasn't having it with the panel lottery, the flashlight effect on the Samy bugged the living daylights outa me, not to mention the "Motion Plus" wasn't up to par with fast moving scenes..lots of blur...at least to my eyes...even after tons of tweaks with setting...etc.
Needless to say I'm super exited about my 40HX800...there seems to be little to no "flashlight" issues, no clouding.
Watched the "Dark Knight" & Avatar...Fantastic picture.
Played "Bio Shock 2" & "Killzone 2" and the games seem to run much better on this set than the Samy (which has some lag + ghosting).
Question though...Where is the "Game Mode" option for the HX800?

Thanks
post #549 of 2602 Old 10-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desafino View Post

Hello All,

Just returned a Samsung UN40C6300 in favor of the Sony 40HX800.
I liked the PQ on the Samy, but I just wasn't having it with the panel lottery, the flashlight effect on the Samy bugged the living daylights outa me, not to mention the "Motion Plus" wasn't up to par with fast moving scenes..lots of blur...at least to my eyes...even after tons of tweaks with setting...etc.
Needless to say I'm super exited about my 40HX800...there seems to be little to no "flashlight" issues, no clouding.
Watched the "Dark Knight" & Avatar...Fantastic picture.
Played "Bio Shock 2" & "Killzone 2" and the games seem to run much better on this set than the Samy (which has some lag + ghosting).
Question though...Where is the "Game Mode" option for the HX800?

Thanks

In the Scene Select menu. Just hit the Options button...
post #550 of 2602 Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatot View Post

In the Scene Select menu. Just hit the Options button...

Thanks..clearly I'm a noob at all this
post #551 of 2602 Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 AM

I've been reading a couple of posts back about HDMI 1.3 /1.4 on the PS3.
Question..what HDMI version does the HX800 have?
I'm guessing hdmi 1.4 since it's a 3D ready TV..
post #552 of 2602 Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The tv has 1.4. The PS3 is 1.3. There is false information flying around that 1.4 is required for 3D. It is not. 1.4 added some functionality like Ethernet and official support for 3D in the spec, but that doesn't mean that 1.3 won't work
post #553 of 2602 Old 10-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Buy according to your needs.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/

If you're doing 3D and are using other features like Ethernet over hdmi and/or using the Audio Return Feature through an AVReceiver, you want HDMI 1.4, otherwise short runs of 3 meters or less in HDMI 1.3b will work just fine.
post #554 of 2602 Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM

I just grabbed the 55HX800 last week when an older Samsung finally crapped out.
The first thing I noticed is that if you're not in "game mode" and using this to game with a PC, you'll see pretty serious mouse lag. As a result, I just use a toggle with Game Mode and the 1-touch Theater Mode. That seems to cover that base nicely. In game mode it's as good as any other TV I've used in that regard.

With color calibration, I like to use Neutral, but it does seem to have greenish overtones by default. I'd rather have the blue-ish white than the red-ish white I always see with the warm settings. That might just be me, though.

On the topic of the "clouding" from the TV being edge-lit, I found the advanced settings (black corrector, LED dynamic, etc.) to be a very solid fix for this. It's pretty evident at first, but with a mix of medium settings and tweaking brightness I've made it pretty much invisible short of some tiny white leaks in the far corners.
post #555 of 2602 Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version 4.079) provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version 4.077:

Adds support for 3D video using the Qriocity IPTV service.
Note: The Qriocity service is available only in the United States.
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 4.079:

Improves performance and stability of IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) features.
Note: IPTV allows you to enjoy HD (High Definition) programming from the Internet on your BRAVIA television that is connected to a broadband Internet connection.
Installs an updated version of the on-screen i-Manual built into the BRAVIA television.
Resolves an issue where the television may unexpectedly power off and back on shortly after it is turned on.
post #556 of 2602 Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I went into Best Buy, yesterday, to see the 46HX800 and had to convince two salespeople that they did have it in the store. While they checked the computer, I found it on the floor. They had the 55" as well.

Unfortunately, they were only hooked up for 3D and it was impossible to check the 2D against the other sets. I don't know what I can do about that except to try Best Buy in another town.

In any event, I was very impressed with the quality of the 3D. The glasses fit very nicely over my own glasses and I found them to be comfortable. Very nice. I have no doubts, now, about the quality of the 3D. They showed me the 3D material in 2D and it looked good, but I want to see it against the other sets on display before I buy. (It was marked down an additional $100 until Saturday.)

Before I left I walked through the other sets. Bright, clear and with depth to the picture were the LG's and the Samsung 6500. The latter is nowhere near as expensive as some of the other Samsung models, but the picture has the brightness and depth of picture that I really like in an HDTV. It stood out from the others and I would really like to have been able to see the 46HX800 right there beside it. If the Sony had compared favorably, I would have made the purchase.
post #557 of 2602 Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 PM

Stan, I had a similar problem at BB. For weeks they've had the 55 running a 3D promo (in 2D) and a 46 running an animated feature in 2D, which looked great though I really wanted to see a feature film. The 55 was next to an EX700, which is not a fair fight.

A big concern I've had is reflections and that did not appear to be an issue, though you could see them against a very dark screen, but not a surprise as this is in a bright store. After researching and hand wringing for over a month, I took the plunge and ordered a 55. Unfortunately, they can't deliver and install everything until Nov. 1.

I'd been waiting to see the NX810 but my BB doesn't have it in yet. From everything I've read, it doesn't sound like there is a significant PQ difference between the two, just opticontrast vs. deep black panel and a few bells and whistles (I don't care if the Sony logo glows). I did see the LX900 and my untrained eye thought it compared well with everything in the Magnolia area, including the top end Sammy plasma. Again, similar bells and whistles differences with the HX800, from what I've read. If BB gets the 810 within a week or so and it just blows me away, I'll have time to make a switch. As it is, I'm comfortable with this choice.
post #558 of 2602 Old 10-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Down here at the other end of the world the HX800 was retailing in the region of $2,200 Aus. Bought mine last week for $1599.00 Aus (brand new on special) to replace an aging Samsung and was totally blown away by the quality of the Sony.

Many thanks to the guys who have posted up their settings they have helped me no end to set this up very nicely.
post #559 of 2602 Old 10-20-2010, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought a 55 inch hx800 yesterday from a local retailer and I was able to talk him down to 1905.00 for the 55 inch set. I am replacing an older 720p hdtv from sony so the difference in quality should be quite substantial. I know that it is individual preference but what is the best settings to calibrate this tv? ALso with LED LCD is it ideal to wait a specific time before you calibrate just like a plasma or will it have no effect? thanks
post #560 of 2602 Old 10-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lforigno View Post

I just bought a 55 inch hx800 yesterday from a local retailer and I was able to talk him down to 1905.00 for the 55 inch set. I am replacing an older 720p hdtv from sony so the difference in quality should be quite substantial. I know that it is individual preference but what is the best settings to calibrate this tv? ALso with LED LCD is it ideal to wait a specific time before you calibrate just like a plasma or will it have no effect? thanks

Roll back through some of the earlier pages of this thread and check out what a few folks have posted up for settings. A good rule of thumb is to just sit back and enjoy the new set with some basic initial adjustments and give your eyes (and your brain) some time to acclimate to the new screen type - like for a week or so - then start dialing things in to your personal preference.

Unaware of any required burn-in time for LEDs; don't believe it's a concern. It's more to do with getting past the initial shock and awe of having a new panel and then figuring out what looks the best (in terms of picture settings) in your particular lighting environment.
post #561 of 2602 Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks I did find a few and will give them a try once I set everything up
post #562 of 2602 Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. View Post

Damn. Knucklehead is right. After all that schmoozing, the processing is the same? Quick check on Google confirms. I didn't even think to check him, since he was so adamant about that. That kind of thing irritates me.

But I'll get over it. Can't wait to play with it. This is my first LCD/LED--are there "break-in" periods involved, before calibration, for example? Can't seem to find a reference to that...

Well, they do have ALMOST the same video processing except that the HX9 also has 2 extra options in the "advanced settings" section of the picture menu. That is detail enhancer and edge enhancer. On previous Sony flagship models such as the XBR4/8 only the "pro" bravia engines came with these 2 extra settings. Sony's marketing instead of saying "BE3 PRO" now as they used to say just lists these extra options as "intelligent image enhancer" which you do not see mentioned for any other model in this years lineup.

Also, the sharpness setting goes up to 100 on the HX9, i think on the HX800 it only reaches up to 30? Im not sure about this but i think i recall seeing it somewhere which would be another indication that the video processors they use are slightly different.

Still, BE4 does not exist yet so that guy was an idiot. Its just 2 different versions of BE3 just like you have BE1-BE1:EX-BE1:PRO in the 2007 lineup (with the XBR4/5 having the BE1:PRO) and the same with BE2 in the 2008 lineup with the XBR8/70XBR7 having the BE2:PRO.

Another advantage these engines gave was the option to eliminate any overscan even on 720p sources. There was an option under "normal" for "+1" in the "screen settings". This is also found on the HX9, im not sure if its available on any of the other Sony models this year as it seems only this model is using the Bravia engine 3 "PRO".
post #563 of 2602 Old 10-21-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

<<>>

I have the MY 2010 60EX700 and yes, it allows to get rid of overscan. Same with the EX500 models that come with the BE2.
post #564 of 2602 Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:

<<>>

I have the MY 2010 60EX700 and yes, it allows to get rid of overscan. Same with the EX500 models that come with the BE2.

Good to know. I know all the 08 models with the be2 only had an option to eliminate overscan on 1080i and 1080p sources but not 720p. There was about 5% overscan on those sets. It seems sony makes slight changes to the engines depending on the model even when they both say they use the same processor....
post #565 of 2602 Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 AM

Just picked up the HX800 at Best Buy.
55 hx800-$2599
2 pair 3d glasses- free
3d sensor- free
3d blue ray player- free
So far I am really enjoying this set. Just plug and play for the moment will mess with the settings later. This is my first Sony my last two LCD's were Samsung. I thought the bundle was a good deal and I wanted something new. I'm selling my 46' A650 to my girlfriend so I went out looking. Looks like I may have found a winner...

post #566 of 2602 Old 10-21-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Viper - "It seems sony makes slight changes to the engines depending on the model even when they both say they use the same processor...."

I have never seen any published test between BE engines. I am sure they make some changes, such as wifi access going from BE2 to BE3, but we do not know what is fact and what is not. As for extra adjustments to the PQ, most of them as useless for HiDef from what I can see on my Tv.
post #567 of 2602 Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I liked my 46 hx800 so much, i traded it up for a 55. Will post cals and comments soon :-)

Omar
post #568 of 2602 Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

I liked my 46 hx800 so much, i traded it up for a 55. Will post cals and comments soon :-)

Omar

Awesome!
post #569 of 2602 Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Viper - "It seems sony makes slight changes to the engines depending on the model even when they both say they use the same processor...."

I have never seen any published test between BE engines. I am sure they make some changes, such as wifi access going from BE2 to BE3, but we do not know what is fact and what is not. As for extra adjustments to the PQ, most of them as useless for HiDef from what I can see on my Tv.

This is true for most of the options but not all. Especially DRC mode on the XBR4/8. It was created to improve upscaling on SD material, not really to be used with HD content.

The one setting i do find that improves HD sources is detail enhancer. I know its all artificial algorithms and whatever but it does a very nice job of bringing out small details in the picture. Its fine when used on the lowest setting.
post #570 of 2602 Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

We are on DirectTv and mostly watch HDef. Prior to Direct getting so many HDef channels, I used the Faroudja DCI chip in my Onkyo AV 707, did fine, but we all know the old saying...garbage in, garbage out.

Same for detail enhancers. Some people like it and that's fine, but heck, my 60EX700 is so sharp I feel it's enough without having anything that will introduce unwanted side effects.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page