post #811 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisx View Post

WHAT!?! you can swap out the blu ray for a ps3 0_0. Is this at FS or did i miss read. link pls if possible. ( But then do you loose the glasses + transmitter?)

IF that's the case then that's a pretty dam good deal as ps3 > most players in my opinion, i own 2 ( 1 broken) so that will be nice.

About the size, ya you know idk. It seems fine to me, but i think the NX810 looks bigger due to the design, this seems a bit more compact.

Another thing, it is rather thin compared to older sony models so this might actually reduce the appearance of the size in the room.

i saw a 46 it just seemed to small, this is my first HDTV and i cannot afford to buy a TV every 2nd year so i gotta be careful fo the size and model.

Im going to go to Sonystyle to check it out and then purchase from FS.

In store, my FS had the hx800 on main display, there were piles of ps3 boxes around it. The deal is the tv, the transmitter, 2 pairs of glasses and your choice of a bluray player ( think it's the bdsp-470) or a ps3 with uncharted 2, modnation racing and the bluray movie Alice in wonderland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

In store, my FS had the hx800 on main display, there were piles of ps3 boxes around it. The deal is the tv, the transmitter, 2 pairs of glasses and your choice of a bluray player ( think it's the bdsp-470) or a ps3 with uncharted 2, modnation racing and the bluray movie Alice in wonderland.

are you sure you can pick the player? I thought it was not changeable. They have it on display as well but il go check again tomorrow. That is a killer deal if true, do i just ask the employee that i want to swap it out or what?
post #813 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

are you sure you can pick the player? I thought it was not changeable. They have it on display as well but il go check again tomorrow. That is a killer deal if true, do i just ask the employee that i want to swap it out or what?

I asked the sales guy and he confirmed. On top of it, in front of the Hx800, there is a little stand where the glasses are so you can pick them up and check the 3D. Well on that stand there is a little sheet that says:

TV + Transmitter + 2 pairs of glasses + 3Dbluray player OR Playstation 3

So it's available in store at least. I've checked only and I am they are just mentionning the bluray player.

Damn clouding. That's the only thing holding me back on that deal right now.
post #814 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I followed Omar's latest calibration setting recommendations. Faces have that 'I go to the tanning salon' look. I am a TOTAL noob so be gentle ....
post #815 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:

I asked the sales guy and he confirmed. On top of it, in front of the Hx800, there is a little stand where the glasses are so you can pick them up and check the 3D. Well on that stand there is a little sheet that says:

TV + Transmitter + 2 pairs of glasses + 3Dbluray player OR Playstation 3

So it's available in store at least. I've checked only and I am they are just mentionning the bluray player.

Damn clouding. That's the only thing holding me back on that deal right now.

i should have read the stand lol. Thats great. I didnt see any clouding so looks like ill be picking it up. Im still going to go to s style to get a better look.
post #816 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckozlowski View Post

Okay, so I followed Omar's latest calibration setting recommendations. Faces have that 'I go to the tanning salon' look. I am a TOTAL noob so be gentle ....

Are you on Warm 2? If so, try Warm 1 or neutral. You'll be too blue, but that red and yellow push will improve...
post #817 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. View Post

Are you on Warm 2? If so, try Warm 1 or neutral. You'll be too blue, but that red and yellow push will improve...

Yep, I switched from Warm 2 to Neutral and that helps quite a bit. I'm watching Apollo 13 in Blu-Ray, the space shots are incredible (the blackness of space looks incredible). What's the general opinion of getting my screen professionally calibrated ?
post #818 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 09:12 AM

Well, I'm a fan of it, personally. But be prepared that the most "accurate" picture may not be the one you like the most. The Warm 2 issue is a good example of that.
post #819 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I just recently bought the combo deal(tv+3d player+2 glasses+transmitter) online from amazon.....now!! will it be possible to take the unopened 3d blu-ray player to the Sony Style store and swap it with the ps3 slim?

update:

I just called Sony Style and and they didn't have the choice of ps3 anymore. The deal ended on Sunday, now you can only get the 3d blu-ray player.
post #820 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

I just recently bought the combo deal(tv+3d player+2 glasses+transmitter) online from amazon.....now!! will it be possible to take the unopened 3d blu-ray player to the Sony Style store and swap it with the ps3 slim?

update:

I just called Sony Style and and they didn't have the choice of ps3 anymore. The deal ended on Sunday, now you can only get the 3d blu-ray player.

Im guessing that only implies to amazon and not future shop?
post #821 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Im guessing that only implies to amazon and not future shop?

The deal at futureshop is good until december 2nd. No worries there.
post #822 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 11:00 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Well, that is certainly interesting. I don't know any ISF calibrators who will say that white balance adjustments are "useless or near useless", for example. Or gamma adjustments. Such adjustments clearly change the picture, and based on ISF standards measured by ISF approved equiment, do so for the better.

The calibrator that was just at my house shared the skepticism expressed here for some of these (e.g. "black corrector", which he said just lowered brightness a set number of clicks, as I recall), but not all of them.

That is correct. White balance and gamma are important adjustments for an accurate picture.
post #823 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I'll chime in here if that's ok.

The perception of blue is highly subjective and you should be careful in trying to eliminate what is perceived as too much blue (especially on cable feeds) as there's quite a bit of content pushed with a blue-ish bias if you will. For quite some time I was under the impression that Neutral might be pushing too much blue on this TV but upon further investigation I came to the conclusion that Neutral with Live Color enabled produced the best results (clearer whites and natural fleshtones) on bluray discs and especially the D-V-E calibration disc. Having now decided that color was accurate enough based on those metrics, we still noticed that on some of the Comcast material/content, things can still look a bit biased to blue - but the key thing is - it's not consistent across all channels and programming. Many of our reference/favorite channels look spot on. If you try to eliminate all that perceived blue push you'll end up corrupting color accuracy on well mastered content. I guess the analogy here is this, scenes that take place in office settings, some news casts and a fair amount of commercials will have a blue bias because fluorescent lighting is part of the equation (in the shot setting), so what you are in fact seeing is good representation of what is in the feed - because the TV is that freakin accurate. Once you pay attention to enough white graphics AND fleshtones over a wide breadth of channels, you'll see what I'm talking about. Another way to put it is this; don't just assume that because some white content is leaning towards blue that somehow the TV is acting up - some content is just presented like that.

Try Neutral with Live Color enabled, or Warm 1 and watch all the demo content on the D-V-E disc. There's a good cross-section of material on that disc that will reveal to you just how well Neutral & Warm1 perform even without a professional calibration.

Cable TV feeds are the hardest dang feeds to adjust for because there's an ever growing field of content you have to combat and take into consideration when getting the best overall (averaged) baseline of settings.
post #824 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM

+1 on the variability of the picture from input to input. When the calibrator did my white balance, etc. here recently, we ended up with an excellent picture (showing all the right numbers on blue, red, etc.) on the Calman flesh tone "test" faces. And that was on Warm 2. But switch to DirecTV, and the "Boehner effect" was in full force again--people looked like they had bad spray tans. Very frustrating. Needs to be dialed back to Warm 1 or neutral, or take color down quite few clicks, to look right.
post #825 of 2601 Old 11-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Chalk up another new owner of this fine set. We have had it about a week and a half, but I have not had much time to play. One thing for sure, the picture settings are greatly improved over those of my now replaced (7 year old) set. No more do you have to venture into the service menu, and all adj's are instantly resettable back to the defaults. Speaking of the service menu, a few posts back is one by umr. His posts in the old GWIII thread were great. Thanks to all who are posting setting lists. I am now almost ready to take the plunge and see what we can do. Wonder if my version will match anyone else?
post #826 of 2601 Old 11-13-2010, 12:09 AM

Trying to help out an elderly couple who just bought the Sony KDL-55HX800 T.V.

I know you can move the screen both horizontally and vertically, but is there a way to adjust just the horizontal and vertical size individually?

When the man turns on his cable box, there is some text at the bottom of the screen which is slightly cut off.

We have the T.V. in Zoom mode to fill the complete screen because he doesn't like the black bars on both sides. However it can't be adjusted horizontally without cutting some of the top or bottom off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mahalo in Hawaiian language.
post #827 of 2601 Old 11-13-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyb99 View Post

For those with D*, as long as you have HD access, you can access the 3D channels right?

That is correct. The system will detect your 3D tv. I am on Directtv but no 3D tv.

Here's more info: http://support.directv.com/app/answe...3d/r_id/104513
post #828 of 2601 Old 11-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post
That is correct. The system will detect your 3D tv. I am on Directtv but no 3D tv.

Here's more info: http://support.directv.com/app/answe...3d/r_id/104513
Thanks for the link! I'm not seeing channel 105 in my list of available channels. Any idea why?
post #829 of 2601 Old 11-13-2010, 04:27 PM

just we to Sony style to see the deal and TV, WOW very nice, they had it on beside the HX909, not buch differenc other than blacks and the color popper a bit more but it also popped on the HX800.

As for the FS deal, they were not give a ps3 with it, you must pay the difference when u take the player out and just - 200 off the play station.

So im going to buy from sony style, the mall was closing so we talked to the manager cause we know him and he said he will try to put a ps3 in without extra charge and would call us in a day or 2.

Looking forward to it, the 3d is very nice =D.

BUT can someone tell me why when you tilt your head the 3d goes away Is that cause of how light works with the glasses or is it a TV thing.
post #830 of 2601 Old 11-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
just we to Sony style to see the deal and TV, WOW very nice, they had it on beside the HX909, not buch differenc other than blacks and the color popper a bit more but it also popped on the HX800.

As for the FS deal, they were not give a ps3 with it, you must pay the difference when u take the player out and just - 200 off the play station.

So im going to buy from sony style, the mall was closing so we talked to the manager cause we know him and he said he will try to put a ps3 in without extra charge and would call us in a day or 2.

Looking forward to it, the 3d is very nice =D.

BUT can someone tell me why when you tilt your head the 3d goes away Is that cause of how light works with the glasses or is it a TV thing.
I find this very weird. In my Futureshop, the sales guy clearly told me I had the option between both, their stand says so, and there was never a question about an additionnal 200$. Granted we never actually went ahead with the purchase but I find it weird.

I tested the 3D in the store, and even at 30 degree and more, I could still see the 3D effect. didn't notice much reduction. I didn't try turning the head, but will you really do so?

Clouding is the only thing holding me back. I had terrible luck with Sony's TV so far this year. returned 2 hx701 because of clouding to finally give up on the model. the Hx800 looks much better PQ wise compared to the hx701 but clouding bugs me. I can see one spot on the tv in the store and it's during a very lighted envuronement, which usually masks it. Others have also complained about it.

my question would be, is it something you can complain about with sony and get them to fix it until it's not visible anymore?

If it wasn't for clouding, the only question I would have would be which size to take. also need to make an input lag test (bring my console in store to try it). From comment here, it should be fine. Wonder if there is a difference in input lag between the 46" and the 55". on the hx909, there is report that the 52" has more input lag than the 46" model.
post #831 of 2601 Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I find this very weird. In my Futureshop, the sales guy clearly told me I had the option between both, their stand says so, and there was never a question about an additionnal 200$. Granted we never actually went ahead with the purchase but I find it weird.

I tested the 3D in the store, and even at 30 degree and more, I could still see the 3D effect. didn't notice much reduction. I didn't try turning the head, but will you really do so?

Clouding is the only thing holding me back. I had terrible luck with Sony's TV so far this year. returned 2 hx701 because of clouding to finally give up on the model. the Hx800 looks much better PQ wise compared to the hx701 but clouding bugs me. I can see one spot on the tv in the store and it's during a very lighted envuronement, which usually masks it. Others have also complained about it.

my question would be, is it something you can complain about with sony and get them to fix it until it's not visible anymore?

If it wasn't for clouding, the only question I would have would be which size to take. also need to make an input lag test (bring my console in store to try it). From comment here, it should be fine. Wonder if there is a difference in input lag between the 46" and the 55". on the hx909, there is report that the 52" has more input lag than the 46" model.
Ya well it dosent really matter, i already have a ps3 but would have been nice . And ya i know i wouldnt tilt my head but i was just wondering, what if someone wants to watch something when they lie down.

At the sony store, i saw maybe a bit of clouding, but not as much as the samsung c6500 one so it looked great, but then again my set might be different.

Looks like ill be buying it this week, I asked the manager if he could price match the HX909 to 2499, he said he will call us back later. But atm its the HX800 for me
post #832 of 2601 Old 11-13-2010, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyb99 View Post
Thanks for the link! I'm not seeing channel 105 in my list of available channels. Any idea why?
You probably have it de-selected in the favorite channels. I tried it in mine and 105 does not appear either. However, 103, 104 and 106 all 3D show up.

Give D* a ring and they'll get you going. Don't forget to let us know how it went.
post #833 of 2601 Old 11-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ya well it dosent really matter, i already have a ps3 but would have been nice . And ya i know i wouldnt tilt my head but i was just wondering, what if someone wants to watch something when they lie down.

At the sony store, i saw maybe a bit of clouding, but not as much as the samsung c6500 one so it looked great, but then again my set might be different.

Looks like ill be buying it this week, I asked the manager if he could price match the HX909 to 2499, he said he will call us back later. But atm its the HX800 for me

If you ever buy it before I take my decision, make sure to come back with your opinion on it with input lag and clouding.
post #834 of 2601 Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:

If you ever buy it before I take my decision, make sure to come back with your opinion on it with input lag and clouding.

Sure thing, I think i will pick it up friday, not sure yet, or i might pick it up in a few weeks if the sony style deal goes bust from FS.
post #835 of 2601 Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Sure thing, I think i will pick it up friday, not sure yet, or i might pick it up in a few weeks if the sony style deal goes bust from FS.

Did you get a chance to look at the NX810? I thought you were also interested to see that one...

If you did see it, how did it compare to the HX800 for PQ?
post #836 of 2601 Old 11-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

Did you get a chance to look at the NX810? I thought you were also interested to see that one...

If you did see it, how did it compare to the HX800 for PQ?

in canada at least, I am yet to see a Nx810 in store. most retaillers don't even have that TV yet. bestbuy only has the 55" on their website and it's not even in stock.
post #837 of 2601 Old 11-14-2010, 12:01 PM

Ok, I've checked Omar's settings as well, and compared them to mine, as set by my ISF guy. But I've modified mine to include LED dynamic control on, which I've decided on balance I prefer to off. I've kept white balance on my settings.

Also, on the smooth issue, I've noticed that the effect can vary quite a bit, from subtle and pleasing to pronounced and disturbing, depending on the programming. So, for me at least, this is not a "set and forget" function.

All that said, using the theater button as an A/B switch, I can say that Omar's settings on my set are certainly brighter than my settings. I generally prefer my settings for movies (except perhaps for very dark scenes--still going back and forth on Master And Commander, for example), but the jury is still out on DirecTV. Overall, though, it's interesting that the pictures these two settings throw are not all that different, even given the apparently wide numbers gaps on individual variables.

Anyway, that's my brief preliminary report, FWIW. Am setting up an audio system next weekend on the set, so perhaps feeling the ground shake on the cannon shots on Master and Commander will clarify things for me....
post #838 of 2601 Old 11-14-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question and I apologize if the question has been asked before but where do I register
my new Sony 3dhdtv to get the two free 3d blu-ray movies and 4 ps3 games?

thanks!!!!
post #839 of 2601 Old 11-14-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

I have a question and I apologize if the question has been asked before but where do I register
my new Sony 3dhdtv to get the two free 3d blu-ray movies and 4 ps3 games?

thanks!!!!

There will be instructions for both in the packet of info when you buy the TV. The Blu-Rays are sent when you register your tv and the games are downloaded through the PS3 store with promo codes.
post #840 of 2601 Old 11-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd2004 View Post

There will be instructions for both in the packet of info when you buy the TV. The Blu-Rays are sent when you register your tv and the games are downloaded through the PS3 store with promo codes.

You mean PSN games correct? Are they different for each TV/set or all the same for north america?

I knew about the movie but not about the games, Do you get 2 movies even if your in Canada?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page