Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2600 Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFKevin View Post

Sigprime, I don't want to know anything, I just want to thank you for taking so much time to tell us all about this TV. It would appear you're the only one here who has it, so the information you're putting forth is basically invaluable.

It does look fantastic. It's either that or the HX900 for me. I'll be going to the Sony Store in Manhattan next week sometime to check it out. Your pictures and thoughts have almost swayed my steady decision to get the 900 to get this.

Thanks again.

No Problem, I'm happy to answer questions. If you check out the display model, I would try to turn off some of the extra processing. I think the TV looks better in game mode with everything turned off than the standard default mode(almost all processing settings turned on). That being said, I have found a happy median with all but a couple turned off. Let us know what you think after you check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi123456 View Post

Did they happen to mention if an update to PS3 was coming with HDMI 1.4 any time soon?

They didn't mention a PS3 with HDMI 1.4 coming out. To clarify what I said before, the PS3 supposedly can't output 1080P 3D and HD audio simultaneously. Based on what I was told, I believe the PS3 will be able to handle 1080P 3D with traditional lossy audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2600 Old 06-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

I can deal with that. Lossy audio from bluray is still better than standard DVD, ah?

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #63 of 2600 Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 PM

If you live in Arizona, Phoenix area and intrested in looking at the HX800 55 and 46 in action, they have it at the Sony Style store in Scottsdale at the Fashion Square Mall. I was there yesterday and IMHO I did like the 3D I saw on. Again IMO it is better than the Samsung and just a hair on par with Panny. I like how sublte the 3D is and no headaches no flickering the edges of objects were crisp, I was happy with the outcome. I also love the look of the TV, if you are a Sony LCD fan and like me just can't expalin what it is about the look of the TV, you won't be dissapointed.

GOOD Choice Siggy!! You were right and I do like the 46, it is perfect for my living room and just to have a 3D TV. BTW the 3D glasses also get a thumbs up!! I had my glasses on underneath and they felt comfortable, they did not give me a headache and it felt right.

HT Set Up: Epson 8350, Sony Strd G-920, JBL 7.1 Venue series speakers, JBL Sub12 subwoofer, Harmony One remote, Xbox 360, PS3, Sony BDP S350, Toshiba HDA2, Directv HR-24 DVR.
post #64 of 2600 Old 06-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinsterSXRD View Post

If you live in Arizona, Phoenix area and intrested in looking at the HX800 55 and 46 in action, they have it at the Sony Style store in Scottsdale at the Fashion Square Mall. I was there yesterday and IMHO I did like the 3D I saw on. Again IMO it is better than the Samsung and just a hair on par with Panny. I like how sublte the 3D is and no headaches no flickering the edges of objects were crisp, I was happy with the outcome. I also love the look of the TV, if you are a Sony LCD fan and like me just can't expalin what it is about the look of the TV, you won't be dissapointed.

GOOD Choice Siggy!! You were right and I do like the 46, it is perfect for my living room and just to have a 3D TV. BTW the 3D glasses also get a thumbs up!! I had my glasses on underneath and they felt comfortable, they did not give me a headache and it felt right.

Think you can hook up your xbox 360, play a little and return with feedback on input lag and maybe some pictures? I'd love to hear more about input lag on this TV.
post #65 of 2600 Old 06-17-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackkeys View Post

Those articles are old, back at CES everyone thought you needed 1.4 HDMI to get 3D, you dont. HDMI 1.3 can still do 3D it just cant do what HDMI 1.4 covers: 4K, Ethernet, Automotive HD etc. The fact is my 3 year old PS3 can do 3D, I am very happy with that fact.

3D, bluray, best upscale, free online, best graphics/exclusives, best motion controler, etc = no competition

but if someone read gizmodo, cnet, gamethirst, gamedaily, and all microsoft employees sites, he can ignore that kind of facts
post #66 of 2600 Old 06-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Liked: 12
Getting the 800 series Sony 3D on Saturday. Since Sony has not included a demo disk (they should have for the price of this 55" LED TV), my evaluation will be associated with 3D gaming and hopefuly a 3D soccer match via Direct TV. Had to buy the 3D glasses and the 3D emitter from a Sony style store since Best Buy doesn't have either in stock.
post #67 of 2600 Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 PM

I went to a Sony Style to look at their 55" display model, and the image did not look 3D when I put on the glasses. There was an Alice in Wonderland trailer and then Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Looked as flat as ever. But when I turned off the 3D, the 2D picture was actually quite beautiful.

How has your experience been actually having this TV at home? I may have to get the 60" model just because it's got to be a better TV than the EX, doesn't it?
post #68 of 2600 Old 06-17-2010, 10:53 PM

Jones, how did you "turn off the 3d" on the Alice in Wonderland? That demo content is native 3d.
post #69 of 2600 Old 06-18-2010, 01:47 AM

The remote had a 3D/2D button. Was that not what it was for?
post #70 of 2600 Old 06-18-2010, 03:09 AM

sigprime,

Thank you for starting this thread and answering questions about this new TV.

In the Bravia 2010 thread, I had posted some specific questions in post #1426 on page 48.
Link should go here... but AVSforum won't allow the link because I don't have 3 posts yet.

Oh well, here's an updated summary of the questions.

I'm really looking forward to getting the HX800 40" when it is available. You've actually already answered a question I didn't mention. I'm happy to hear the "glossy" screen is not as bad as the Samsungs. Hopefully the reflections will not be too bad for my setup.

1. The main question I had which should be easy to answer is if "AUTODIMMING" can be completely disabled.

2. The other question concerned hooking up the HX800 to a computer to see how the output looks. (1 to 1 pixel mapping/no autodimming/lag on the mouse). I realize that is potentially difficult but if you happen to get a chance, it would be nice to know how the TV performs as a large computer monitor. But I only really want to know this info with a digital connection (i.e. DVI out of computer -> HDMI in to TV ... OR ... HDMI out of computer to HDMI into to TV. I know analog VGA to the TV Input VGA is not good quality.

3. This question about watching 3D on the TV through a computer will mostly be answered when Nvidia finally releases the 3DTV Play software which will interface with a graphics card and enable some kind of HDMI 1.4 conversion?? It sounds like it may be a good solution. Lots of PC computer games will then be instantly available to play in 3D. The question is how well nvidia's 3DTV Play really works? So I guess this question will have to wait.

If you do happen to hook the TV up to a computer with an DVI to HDMI cable, try to see if you can select 120hz for the HX800 instead of the standard 60hz. Sony Engineers claimed this would be possible. I'm very skeptical of this, but if true, the TV would act like a really nice flicker free computer screen. Also, if true, nvision would work which would be another avenue for 3D...

4. You've already answered the question of input lag. If the lag is good enough for your girlfriend to ace Guitar Hero, its probably good enough to drive a mouse when using it as a computer monitor. I know I've tried other TVs a computer monitors and the lag was bad enough that the on-screen mouse trailed my movements by about 1-2 seconds. It was unusable. Hopefully the HX800 will be fine for this.

5. New question. Can 3D content be viewed while using "game mode"? I assume this must be yes because Sony is going to sell lots of Playstation 3D games!

Sorry I have so many questions. If you could even just answer the first question, it would be a big help because AUTODIMMING is painful and doesn't work at all when using it as a monitor... I've been waiting for so long to get a TV which acts like a computer monitor and I think this may be the one.

Thanks again. I hope you also get a chance to enjoy the thing!
post #71 of 2600 Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbidia View Post

sigprime,

Thank you for starting this thread and answering questions about this new TV.

In the Bravia 2010 thread, I had posted some specific questions in post #1426 on page 48.
Link should go here... but AVSforum won't allow the link because I don't have 3 posts yet.

Oh well, here's an updated summary of the questions.

I'm really looking forward to getting the HX800 40" when it is available. You've actually already answered a question I didn't mention. I'm happy to hear the "glossy" screen is not as bad as the Samsungs. Hopefully the reflections will not be too bad for my setup.

1. The main question I had which should be easy to answer is if "AUTODIMMING" can be completely disabled.

2. The other question concerned hooking up the HX800 to a computer to see how the output looks. (1 to 1 pixel mapping/no autodimming/lag on the mouse). I realize that is potentially difficult but if you happen to get a chance, it would be nice to know how the TV performs as a large computer monitor. But I only really want to know this info with a digital connection (i.e. DVI out of computer -> HDMI in to TV ... OR ... HDMI out of computer to HDMI into to TV. I know analog VGA to the TV Input VGA is not good quality.

3. This question about watching 3D on the TV through a computer will mostly be answered when Nvidia finally releases the 3DTV Play software which will interface with a graphics card and enable some kind of HDMI 1.4 conversion?? It sounds like it may be a good solution. Lots of PC computer games will then be instantly available to play in 3D. The question is how well nvidia's 3DTV Play really works? So I guess this question will have to wait.

If you do happen to hook the TV up to a computer with an DVI to HDMI cable, try to see if you can select 120hz for the HX800 instead of the standard 60hz. Sony Engineers claimed this would be possible. I'm very skeptical of this, but if true, the TV would act like a really nice flicker free computer screen. Also, if true, nvision would work which would be another avenue for 3D...

4. You've already answered the question of input lag. If the lag is good enough for your girlfriend to ace Guitar Hero, its probably good enough to drive a mouse when using it as a computer monitor. I know I've tried other TVs a computer monitors and the lag was bad enough that the on-screen mouse trailed my movements by about 1-2 seconds. It was unusable. Hopefully the HX800 will be fine for this.

5. New question. Can 3D content be viewed while using "game mode"? I assume this must be yes because Sony is going to sell lots of Playstation 3D games!

Sorry I have so many questions. If you could even just answer the first question, it would be a big help because AUTODIMMING is painful and doesn't work at all when using it as a monitor... I've been waiting for so long to get a TV which acts like a computer monitor and I think this may be the one.

Thanks again. I hope you also get a chance to enjoy the thing!

1. You are definitely able to turn autodimming off. I don't care for it and turned it off.

2 and 3. I just have a big tower computer with a 9800GTX card (not sure if it supports 3D). I don't mean to seem rude, but I really don't feel like unhooking everything and moving it near the TV. I would also need to buy a DVI to HDMI cable which I have no use for. Sorry I'm unable to answer these two for you.

5. I believe the 3D can be used while in any of the scene modes including game.
post #72 of 2600 Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post

I went to a Sony Style to look at their 55" display model, and the image did not look 3D when I put on the glasses. There was an Alice in Wonderland trailer and then Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Looked as flat as ever. But when I turned off the 3D, the 2D picture was actually quite beautiful.

How has your experience been actually having this TV at home? I may have to get the 60" model just because it's got to be a better TV than the EX, doesn't it?

Did you hit the power button on the glasses? The light should have been flashing green if it was turned on. I saw the EX series side by side with the HX in the Sony Store. I can tell you with out a doubt the HX looks better. As to whether it's worth an extra $1K, that's up to you. For me it was well worth it.
post #73 of 2600 Old 06-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Thanks sigprime.

Debating between the 40" HX800 and the 46" HX909. I'd prefer a 40" screen size due to my living room design, but the B&H price for the HX900 seems almost the same as the HX800. Also not sure which design is better, the thin bezel HX800 or the monolithic HX900... I love thin bezels, but the monolithic is enticing in its own way. An above poster is right, the HX800 does look more quintessentially Sony though.

How is broadcast or compressed HD quality on the HX800? Is there a lot of artifacts?
post #74 of 2600 Old 06-18-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naus View Post

Thanks sigprime.

Debating between the 40" HX800 and the 46" HX909. I'd prefer a 40" screen size due to my living room design, but the B&H price for the HX900 seems almost the same as the HX800. Also not sure which design is better, the thin bezel HX800 or the monolithic HX900... I love thin bezels, but the monolithic is enticing in its own way. An above poster is right, the HX800 does look more quintessentially Sony though.

How is broadcast or compressed HD quality on the HX800? Is there a lot of artifacts?

I don't notice any artifacts. I did have to play with the settings quite a bit for the ATT Uverse to look right. The colors popped to much out of the box and were over saturated. The back light and brightness had to be turned down. I turned off most of the post processing. I would leave local dimming on low or high with the motionflow on regular.
post #75 of 2600 Old 06-18-2010, 06:50 PM

sigprime,
Hi,
1) Is the battery of the 3D glasses rechargeable? What is the battery life for the glasses with complete charged? If not, is it using the same battery like SamSung?

2) is the 3D glasses good for the kids as well? My sister has a small head which may not fit to the big glasses.

3) I almost put money on the Samsung 46C7000 yesterday. After I saw your review, I decided to wait. Can you compare the Sony HX800 with Samsung 8000 or 7000 series? (the crosstalk, black level and viewing angle)

4) I heard that Sony has serious tilting head problem with the glasses. Is it truth as the review from the below article? Please see weblink from below.
http:// hdguru.com/sony-kdl-55hx800-3d-hdtv-first-impressions/1849/
"I never wrote that you need to tilt your head 45 degrees to lose the 3D image. If this was the case, I would not have objected. While I did not make a precise measurement of head tilt, it was just a very slight amount. My estimate is in low single digits of degrees (around 5) to completely obliterate the 3D effect and suddenly see dual images on-screen through either eye. This level of 3D performance is miles behind competition, not ahead, as neither the Samsung or Panasonics lose 3D with a head tilt. (The Samsung glasses do appear progressively darker as you move you head from vertical to horizontal, while Panasonic’s light transmission characteristics remain the same.)" HD Guru

P.S. With tilting head to 5 degree can cause the image problem, I can't accept that. Is it truth?

Thanks for your info and answers.
post #76 of 2600 Old 06-18-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggor View Post

sigprime,
Hi,
1) Is the battery of the 3D glasses rechargeable? What is the battery life for the glasses with complete charged? If not, is it using the same battery like SamSung?

2) is the 3D glasses good for the kids as well? My sister has a small head which may not fit to the big glasses.

3) I almost put money on the Samsung 46C7000 yesterday. After I saw your review, I decided to wait. Can you compare the Sony HX800 with Samsung 8000 or 7000 series? (the crosstalk, black level and viewing angle)

4) http:// hdguru.com/sony-kdl-55hx800-3d-hdtv-first-impressions/1849/
"I never wrote that you need to tilt your head 45 degrees to lose the 3D image. If this was the case, I would not have objected. While I did not make a precise measurement of head tilt, it was just a very slight amount. My estimate is in low single digits of degrees (around 5) to completely obliterate the 3D effect and suddenly see dual images on-screen through either eye. This level of 3D performance is miles behind competition, not ahead, as neither the Samsung or Panasonics lose 3D with a head tilt. (The Samsung glasses do appear progressively darker as you move you head from vertical to horizontal, while Panasonic's light transmission characteristics remain the same.)" HD Guru

I heard that Sony has serious tilting head problem with the glasses. Is it truth as the review from the article?

Thanks for your info and suggestion.

1. Battery is not rechargeable, as they use a small watch type battery. I asked the store rep how long they last. He said they hadn't changed any of the batteries on the demo glasses which were being used all day for about month. I would guess 3 to 6 months battery life with normal use.

2. The glasses width is adjustable, but they also make kids glasses. I believe the kids size only come in blue and pink.

3. It's difficult to give a fair comparison between the three sets, as I only have limited experience with the Samsung C series. I would say the black level on the Sony is hands down better. I would also say less glare on the Sony. I didn't pay too much attention to the viewing angle on the Samsungs in the store. I don't notice any cross talk on the Sony. I notice no input lag on games. I personally don't think the C7000 is in the same league as the HX800 2D or 3D wise. The C8000 is a good set, but I think you will be happier with the Sony overall. Based on what I have seen, it is currently the best edge lit led on the market. The LX900 may end up looking better, but will the additional $1.5K be worth it? Most of the other sets that may best the HX, will more than likely be backlit led televisions. That's my 2 cents.

4. The tilt phenomenon is an issue, but not a deal breaker for me. It seems to be more of an issue with games. At the Sony Store I didn't notice it through the S570 player, but when I downloaded the 3D games to my PS3 it became noticeable. I would guess most of the other 3D sets suffer from similar problems. I didn't really tilt my head much when I've watched the 3D at Best Buy, so I can't say I've tested it with other TV's. I am also hopeful that the tilt issue can be improved by TV or player/PS3 firmware updates.
post #77 of 2600 Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 PM

sigprime,

Thanks for the great info. ^^
I think I will try HX800
post #78 of 2600 Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I also have a glasses-related question. If I have two 3D Sony TVs in different rooms - can I use the same pair of glasses with both TVs? Or do they have to be synchronized with a TV in the same way as PS3 remote with PS3?
post #79 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 02:26 AM

Is there supposed to be any difference between built-in 3D and needing a 3D emitter? I didn't realize this model needed an emitter.
post #80 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 03:45 AM

I would like to know how to adjust the angle of the 3D Sync Transmitter...Where is the rights degrees?(+10,+20 etc or-10,-20).Thanks for your help...
post #81 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 06:11 AM

Zanzibar68,
Just took delivery of the 800 series Sony 3D Tv two hours ago. I have not had a chance to play with the transmitter as of yet.

However I don't think there is one correct setting. I would experiment based on you position from the Tv and use the one that provides the best 3d experience.

Hope to watch a 2d to 3d conversion of Avatar later and a 3D Soccer game tomorrow via direct TV. I will post my humble opinions then.

Hope this helps.

Indiana Jones:
The 900 series Tv will feature a "built in transmitter" , two free pair of 3D glasses and built in wi-fi. That is the only difference between the 800 and 900 series
Sony 3D TV's.
post #82 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

Indiana Jones:
The 900 series Tv will feature a "built in transmitter" , two free pair of 3D glasses and built in wi-fi. That is the only difference between the 800 and 900 series
Sony 3D TV's.

Congrats on your new TV! Is that a 55 or 46?

Also, I think another difference between 800 and 900 is that 900 is edge-lit, but 800 is a hybrid - edgelit + local dimming
post #83 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar68 View Post

I would like to know how to adjust the angle of the 3D Sync Transmitter...Where is the rights degrees?(+10,+20 etc or-10,-20).Thanks for your help...

There are only three settings on the transmitter. I personally have my transmitter below my tv, so I use the high setting to point it up toward me. If you put the transmitter on top of the tv then use the low setting to point down. You may want to experiment and see what works best for you.
post #84 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone suggest a good calibration disk? I had thought about ISF calibration, but $300 is a bit steep. If anyone has had their HX800 ISF calibrated or used a calibration disk, then would you be so kind as to share your settings.
post #85 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 10:25 AM

Well I think I've been talked out of buying a 60EX700, but what about the HX800 being "edge lit"? That's different than the backlighting of the LX900, right?
post #86 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post

Well I think I've been talked out of buying a 60EX700, but what about the HX800 being "edge lit"? That's different than the backlighting of the LX900, right?

The HX800 is edge lit with local dimming. The LX900 is also edge lit. The HX909 is led back lit.
post #87 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 12:20 PM

OK, finally got to set up this 55" Sony 3D TV.

I have the transmitter located at the bottom of the set on the base which is about 27" off the ground. I have the transmitter knob set at it highest position. I am watching the Avatar dvd from 4 ' away from the screen to get the most immersion.

So for I have not noticed an cloudiness/ banding or flickering with the 3D Glasses.

I have just watched Avatar converted from 2D to 3D. Inside the 3D menu you have an option of setting the converted depth and I tried both the medium and high settings.

First of all I have not noticed any flickering of the image in my light controlled room.

Elated to say that ghosting is a non issue but did notice it on the text in the 3D menu after conversion but not on any text in the movie. The non 3D DVD had depth but I didn't not notice any projected images into the room.

So far based on my viewing of the Samsung LED/Plasmas and the Panasonic Plasmas the Sony has displayed the BRIGHTNESS 3D image that I have witnessed. I also feel that the 3D glasses are the most comfortable vs the Samsung or Panasonic.
I have downloaded the four 3D games from Sony on my PS3 and will try them later this evening.

I have not made any changes to any of the pictures setting so I am watching it as delivered right out of the box. Tomorrow I will record and watch a Soccer match in 3D and report my humble findings.

I have registered the set online and now wait delivery for Cloudy w/ meatballs and the IMAX #D underwater adventure. Since I am not sure how long this will take to receive and in the interest in watching a true 3D movie I will order the 3D " Cloudy" from Amazon.com on it's scheduled release date of June 22. Will have to buy a 3D DVD player also. Probably go with the Panasonic because don't want to wait for Sony firmware update for the PS# or their new 3D ready dvd players. The update is scheduled for sometime in July.
post #88 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 12:24 PM

for such an expensive television.

So as my family continues on it's kick to upgrade their tvs after i got my new one, my sister is the latest to get the bug.

She and her husband ended up buying the 46 inch 800 today and we have been helping them set it up.

From a pure aesthetic stand point the TV is nice looking and understated especially compared to my sharp.

Except for the 3d emitter.... It's small, but there is no connector or slot for it on the tv, just a strip of doublesided tape and vague instructions on where to place it. but anyway........

VERY impressed with the initial picture quality. No big issues with uniformity, flashlighting etc.

It definitely looks superior to my memories of my Ex700 and may be better than my current sharp especially in black levels.

The fake 3d effect is surprisingly effective watching the FIFA cup on broadcast ABC today (they dont have direct TV yet)

We also downloaded the motorstorm 3d demo for the PS3. Lots of fun especially when the wheels kick up mud or water. Didn't see any significant ghosting except during the opening screen

Consider me impressed, we are still tuning it, but assuming the picture quality holds up in the 55 inch version and I'm regretting not waiting a bit.

i would also say that it is significantly better in overall pq than the samsungs 3d sets i have seen (though in a store only). I have not seen the panasonic plasmas.
post #89 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 12:54 PM

I agree that the emitter, a $49.00 option, is cheesy and should have been included in the price of the TV, especially for $3400.00.

I am currently using a 4' Monster 1000 series HDMI cable and will tryout a Rocketfish 4' 1.4 HDMI cable later.
post #90 of 2600 Old 06-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Quick question for owners,

How do you get the free blu rays and downloadable PS3 games. Is there a coupon or something? We can't find anything in the box.

Thanks,
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page