Official Sony KDL-xxHX800 Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2600 Old 11-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I know I am being thick on this one. When you say "theater" mode, do you mean the "cinema" mode found under "scene" selections?
Or, do you just click on the orange button and then go to the main picture adjustments and enter your settings?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2600 Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

I know I am being thick on this one. When you say "theater" mode, do you mean the "cinema" mode found under "scene" selections?
Or, do you just click on the orange button and then go to the main picture adjustments and enter your settings?
Thanks

Hit the orange Theater mode button and then go into the picture settings via the Options button on the remote.
post #903 of 2600 Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks
post #904 of 2600 Old 11-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

I was watching some football in HD-OTA yesterday. I had the settings in General, but when I switched to Sports, the picture really popped and appeared more 3D looking. When I tried the Auto scene select, the picture automatically adjusts to the content, thus if you're watching football, the Sports settings become active.
My question is: if you were to leave it in General, yet plug-in the settings from Sport, will you get the same picture or are the settings, say in Sports, starting from a different baseline than those in General?
post #905 of 2600 Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

I was watching some football in HD-OTA yesterday. I had the settings in General, but when I switched to Sports, the picture really popped and appeared more 3D looking. When I tried the Auto scene select, the picture automatically adjusts to the content, thus if you're watching football, the Sports settings become active.
My question is: if you were to leave it in General, yet plug-in the settings from Sport, will you get the same picture or are the settings, say in Sports, starting from a different baseline than those in General?

Try it and let us know.
post #906 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 AM

Liked: 10
Hello everyone...Long time lurker, but I just purchased this television last week and am having an issue that prompted me to post.

I have the KDL-55HX800 being fed by a Pioneer VSX-1020-k HDMI switching receiver. We used it for a few days without an issue, and on the third or so day we owned it, I hooked it up to the internet so it could update.

The next day after we were watching uverse for a few hours, a weird line of vertical distortion appeared on the left side of the screen, about an inch wide. It almost looks like a water ripple effect in photoshop, or like the 3d affect being applied to a one inch vertical band. I turned the tv off, and it was gone when I turned it back on.

It happened again yesterday....again, we'd been using it for a few hours, and again we were watching uverse stuff, and the band of distortion reappeared. Power cycling fixed it again.

I'm a bit baffled as to what might be going on. I think the issue is on the TV end of things, since turning it off/on fixes the issue. It's only happened twice, and I'm not sure how to force it to happen again.

The thing that really strikes me about it is the fact that we didn't have any issues prior to giving it an internet connection and turning automatic firmware updates on.

Has anybody else had an issue like this? Any thoughts, possibly? I can theoretically return the set, but it's going to be a hassle I'd like to avoid if possible. Is there any way an HDMI cable or something besides the TV could act up like that but work again when you turn the power off and on?

Thanks, any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I tried searching this thread for similar issue to no avail, so apologies if I overlooked something.
post #907 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenedby42 View Post

Hello everyone...Long time lurker, but I just purchased this television last week and am having an issue that prompted me to post.

I have the KDL-55HX800 being fed by a Pioneer VSX-1020-k HDMI switching receiver. We used it for a few days without an issue, and on the third or so day we owned it, I hooked it up to the internet so it could update.

The next day after we were watching uverse for a few hours, a weird line of vertical distortion appeared on the left side of the screen, about an inch wide. It almost looks like a water ripple effect in photoshop, or like the 3d affect being applied to a one inch vertical band. I turned the tv off, and it was gone when I turned it back on.

It happened again yesterday....again, we'd been using it for a few hours, and again we were watching uverse stuff, and the band of distortion reappeared. Power cycling fixed it again.

I'm a bit baffled as to what might be going on. I think the issue is on the TV end of things, since turning it off/on fixes the issue. It's only happened twice, and I'm not sure how to force it to happen again.

The thing that really strikes me about it is the fact that we didn't have any issues prior to giving it an internet connection and turning automatic firmware updates on.

Has anybody else had an issue like this? Any thoughts, possibly? I can theoretically return the set, but it's going to be a hassle I'd like to avoid if possible. Is there any way an HDMI cable or something besides the TV could act up like that but work again when you turn the power off and on?

Thanks, any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I tried searching this thread for similar issue to no avail, so apologies if I overlooked something.

You are going to need to ascertain just how repeatable this is and then go through a process of elimination to determine what's the contributing factor (piece of gear) causing the trouble. Hooking up direct is the best "first place" to start with your trouble-shooting efforts...
post #908 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM

Anybody else's TV have the "power saving" switch (the big physical one on the back right side of the TV) already set to the "on" position straight out of the box? My 46HX800 did, and I was wondering if that was normal. Obviously doesn't affect the quality of the TV, but with that stated, I have flashlighting/clouding almost as bad as SigPrime's was a few months ago, so that has me looking for any other weirdness, as would be expected. Just bought my set. Thinking of doing the whole exchange-til-you-get-a-good-one thing.

Thanks in advance for replies.
post #909 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTouch View Post

Anybody else's TV have the "power saving" switch (the big physical one on the back right side of the TV) already set to the "on" position straight out of the box? My 46HX800 did, and I was wondering if that was normal. Obviously doesn't affect the quality of the TV, but with that stated, I have flashlighting/clouding almost as bad as SigPrime's was a few months ago, so that has me looking for any other weirdness, as would be expected. Just bought my set. Thinking of doing the whole exchange-til-you-get-a-good-one thing.

I noticed mine was on as well when we set it up last week, so I think it's probably normal.

And here I am looking for excuses NOT to exchange mine!
post #910 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The main power switch in the ON position is normal out of the box.

As far as your clouding situation goes, anyone that has clouding as bad as SigPrime has their backlight/brightness set WAY TOO HIGH!
Sig's whole "blue clouds" photos were totally exaggerated for sure - dare I say, fabricated. If people are going to jack up their backlight SO much to show liquid crystal bad behavior (which practically every LCD screen/panel has...) then you're better off buying a Plasma and living with those short-comings.
Just sayin...
post #911 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the info about the power switch, I was worried I might have gotten a refurb or something that they sold me as new.

You are correct, my set doesn't have "blue clouds" or anything that ridiculous unless I jack my settings way up, which *I think* Sig probably did in order to capture it on his point & shoot camera. Those things always suck at low light long exposure, if they're even capable of it.

What I meant to say is that I have distracting clouding/flashlighting in the same positions on my screen as he did. Even with my typical-use settings (backlight is set to 4 and brightness to 48), if I'm watching in the dark the flashlighting is very noticeable in dark scenes of movies (nighttime skylines in Dark Knight for example). Pause screens on many videogames look worse. If I look for it even in the daytime I can see the flashlighting, although the clouding in the middle of the set is not visible under those circumstances. I'd take pictures and post them, but all I have is the worthless camera on my cellphone.

I came to this set from a Sony 40V4100 which I have since given to my longtime girlfriend who needed a TV, and I never saw any clouding or flashlighting at all on that set. I already know I can't go plasma, those things drive me crazy with the flicker and IR they exhibit (no offense to fans of plasma tech, just personal taste there and nothing more).

At this point I'm wondering if I should roll the dice on an exchange and cross my fingers that I get a set on which these issues aren't as visible, or simply return the thing and buy a totally different make/model.
post #912 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 03:44 PM

Hi, sorry for my poor english.

Who is the best calibration por sonyhx800 in europe (in usa hx803) for sports,videogames and movies (blu ray)?

i put a calibration of hdflatpanels and i see the tv dark, the standar mode is better than the calibration of hdflat.

Please answer and thank you for all

PD If possible change the settings of the modes of the theatre botton (videogames,sports,etc)?

Thank you
post #913 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info about the power switch, I was worried I might have gotten a refurb or something that they sold me as new.

You are correct, my set doesn't have "blue clouds" or anything that ridiculous unless I jack my settings way up, which *I think* Sig probably did in order to capture it on his point & shoot camera. Those things always suck at low light long exposure, if they're even capable of it.

What I meant to say is that I have distracting clouding/flashlighting in the same positions on my screen as he did. Even with my typical-use settings (backlight is set to 4 and brightness to 48), if I'm watching in the dark the flashlighting is very noticeable in dark scenes of movies (nighttime skylines in Dark Knight for example). Pause screens on many videogames look worse. If I look for it even in the daytime I can see the flashlighting, although the clouding in the middle of the set is not visible under those circumstances. I'd take pictures and post them, but all I have is the worthless camera on my cellphone.

I came to this set from a Sony 40V4100 which I have since given to my longtime girlfriend who needed a TV, and I never saw any clouding or flashlighting at all on that set. I already know I can't go plasma, those things drive me crazy with the flicker and IR they exhibit (no offense to fans of plasma tech, just personal taste there and nothing more).

At this point I'm wondering if I should roll the dice on an exchange and cross my fingers that I get a set on which these issues aren't as visible, or simply return the thing and buy a totally different make/model.

Well if your backlight settings are low then it sounds like you have a defective panel, especially if you have corner flashlighting AND clouds. I'd get out from underneath that set pronto...
post #914 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Make sure you got local dimming on it should help alot with clouding.
post #915 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 07:25 PM

I was offered this TV today by Sony as a replacement for my GWII for less than $1k, Should I jump on the offer?
post #916 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 PM

I had local dimming on and it was still bad, so I took amatot's advice and swapped it out for another of the same model. There is much less clouding on this new one, but the flashlighting is still there. This one's box looks like it fell off the truck and rolled the rest of the way to BB too. TV seems to be okay other than the flashlighting, but the box didn't exactly give me hope.

I'll give it a couple more days and see if I can get used to the flashlights. I have to say, even for the sale price I paid for this, I expected better. Colors are amazing, the display can melt your retinas, and blacks are as deep as they've ever been. Except in the corners.
post #917 of 2600 Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had local dimming on and it was still bad, so I took amatot's advice and swapped it out for another of the same model. There is much less clouding on this new one, but the flashlighting is still there. This one's box looks like it fell off the truck and rolled the rest of the way to BB too. TV seems to be okay other than the flashlighting, but the box didn't exactly give me hope.

I'll give it a couple more days and see if I can get used to the flashlights. I have to say, even for the sale price I paid for this, I expected better. Colors are amazing, the display can melt your retinas, and blacks are as deep as they've ever been. Except in the corners.
You took one with a beat to hell box? The only one available I take it?
post #918 of 2600 Old 11-24-2010, 06:50 AM

Amatot, you are correct again. Last one they had.
post #919 of 2600 Old 11-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

If the corners are the only issues left, maybe you should try to loosen up the screws in the back of the TV in the corners where you have flashlighting. This has been proven to be an effective way to get rid of it. Sometimes, the screw are just too tight and put preassure on the pannel. Maybe ust a quarter turn less tight might make a difference.
post #920 of 2600 Old 11-24-2010, 04:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post

I was offered this TV today by Sony as a replacement for my GWII for less than $1k, Should I jump on the offer?

I received the same offer and I told them to send it. I was going to sell it and go for a Panasonic TC-50VT20 plasma. However, after reading this forum and the one for the Panasonic, I have decided to keep this set (if it ever gets here).

I have confirmed with Sony that they received my paperwork (last Friday), but they have yet to actually ship it. Maybe the holidays are slowing them down.

One thing's for sure, I will be so glad when I can quit watching my giant green/yellow screen
post #921 of 2600 Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyb99 View Post

I received the same offer and I told them to send it. I was going to sell it and go for a Panasonic TC-50VT20 plasma. However, after reading this forum and the one for the Panasonic, I have decided to keep this set (if it ever gets here).

I have confirmed with Sony that they received my paperwork (last Friday), but they have yet to actually ship it. Maybe the holidays are slowing them down.

One thing's for sure, I will be so glad when I can quit watching my giant green/yellow screen

You will like it. I had a 55xs955 and there is a world of difference between the two sets. The only thing I have issue with is the video lag but I can use my HT receiver to compensate for that. Not much but I notice it.

"A Monsters Work is Never Done"
post #922 of 2600 Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all that follow and contribute to this thread...
post #923 of 2600 Old 11-25-2010, 10:00 AM

Just played some GT5 on my 55HX800 in 2d/3d and WOW does it look incredible. The pop this TV creates especially with local dimming enabled is amazing.

Im surprised Sony is offering such great PQ for such a low price...good stuff.

I just wish the Sony logo lit up. Oh well, nothing is perfect.
post #924 of 2600 Old 11-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatot View Post

As far as your clouding situation goes, anyone that has clouding as bad as SigPrime has their backlight/brightness set WAY TOO HIGH!
Sig's whole "blue clouds" photos were totally exaggerated for sure - dare I say, fabricated. If people are going to jack up their backlight SO much to show liquid crystal bad behavior (which practically every LCD screen/panel has...) then you're better off buying a Plasma and living with those short-comings.
Just sayin...

I have to agree with this. The screen shot that was provided looks exactly like the uverse screen with the box turned off. I guess maybe I got lucky with my set, but I dont see any clouding or flashlighting like others have seen...nothing...nada...zero...ziltch. I do have to say that after buying this tv I look forward to coming home from work and plopping on the sofa to watch any and everything available from HD to blu ray to video games!

Life is hard, be harder.
post #925 of 2600 Old 11-26-2010, 07:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swantzilla View Post

You will like it. I had a 55xs955 and there is a world of difference between the two sets. The only thing I have issue with is the video lag but I can use my HT receiver to compensate for that. Not much but I notice it.

That's great to hear. I really am excited about receiving this set. I am not a big gamer (I only have 2 PS3 games), so I don't think the lag issue will create a big problem for me.
post #926 of 2600 Old 11-26-2010, 07:28 AM

Thought I should check back in. Thanks everyone for your help. I tried loosening the screws on the back of the set in the corners and unfortunately it didn't help in my case. I went out and bought a Samsung 46C670 and set it up in the same room to compare it. I lucked out and got a C670 with no visible flashlighting or clouding, though there are a couple issues with that set as well. Gaming lag is certainly worse than on the Sony, and I don't think it handles motion nearly as well, but overall the picture quality is very good. The viewing angles are much better on the C670 as well, with washout occurring at more extreme angles than on the HX.

I think the moral of the story is there's no perfect set, and you have to choose your TV based on what looks good to you and which failures you can live with. I'm a big gamer, but I prefer PC and the most timing-intensive console game I play is Skate 3, so the lag won't kill me. I loved the Sony, and the issues that were dealbreakers to me probably wouldn't be to a lot of other people. The fact that I was able to get a set that fit my particular viewing preferences for several hundred dollars less may have made the decision a little easier for me.

Thanks again for all your help, folks.
post #927 of 2600 Old 11-26-2010, 08:38 AM

I just picked up the 55HX800 at Costco this morning, and so far, it looks awesome. I have not played a 3D movie or any games yet, but I have played a few Bluray movies and tried the 2D->3D conversion mode.

When I heard about the 2D->3D feature in the Sony store, I was skeptical that it would work well, but I am pretty impressed with how well it seems to work. I watched some Blurays and recorded HDTV (The Office) and it does add 3D to the scenes credibly.

Also, I thought I got a pretty good deal on this. Costco had a bundle deal - including 3D transmitter, 2 pairs of 3D glasses, 4 3D PS3 games, and after registering the TV, the 3D Michael Jackson and Bolt Blurays in the mail. It was $2499.99 less $550 instant rebate (good through Dec 12, 2010 I think) for a total of $1949.99 and includes a 2-year warranty through Costco. It's listed on their web site as the KDL-55HX801p but says nothing about the instant rebate - I saw it in the store on Wed and went back today to buy it. The label on the TV indeed says 55HX800.
post #928 of 2600 Old 11-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thought I should check back in. Thanks everyone for your help. I tried loosening the screws on the back of the set in the corners and unfortunately it didn't help in my case. I went out and bought a Samsung 46C670 and set it up in the same room to compare it. I lucked out and got a C670 with no visible flashlighting or clouding, though there are a couple issues with that set as well. Gaming lag is certainly worse than on the Sony, and I don't think it handles motion nearly as well, but overall the picture quality is very good. The viewing angles are much better on the C670 as well, with washout occurring at more extreme angles than on the HX.

I think the moral of the story is there's no perfect set, and you have to choose your TV based on what looks good to you and which failures you can live with. I'm a big gamer, but I prefer PC and the most timing-intensive console game I play is Skate 3, so the lag won't kill me. I loved the Sony, and the issues that were dealbreakers to me probably wouldn't be to a lot of other people. The fact that I was able to get a set that fit my particular viewing preferences for several hundred dollars less may have made the decision a little easier for me.

Thanks again for all your help, folks.

Considering you went back down to a CCFL set and in a smaller size, I would certainly hope you would have saved several hundred dollars - if not something would have been terribly wrong. Glad you found something to your liking. Enjoy
post #929 of 2600 Old 11-26-2010, 01:35 PM

In going to the Samsung, I did lose LED for CCFL, and dropped from 240 to 120hz, as well as having to leave my preferred brand (I love Sony TVs). Large enough sacrifices, to be sure. My screen size, however, remained the same on both sets. I had a 46HX800, and ended up with a 46C670.

I am glad I ended up with a TV that suits my purposes, yet I remain a little jealous of the folks who have HX800s and don't see any flashlighting. The Sony is obviously the (very) superior set under those circumstances.
post #930 of 2600 Old 11-26-2010, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
40HX800 looks really interesting. I always wanted a 40" unit.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page