Philips 55pfl5505 need some feedback - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 675 Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 AM
IH1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would anyone comment on how the picture on this TV is win non-HD signals? Will use both and wanted to get an idea. On sale for the next 3 days at FS for 899
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 675 Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH1 View Post

Would anyone comment on how the picture on this TV is win non-HD signals? Will use both and wanted to get an idea. On sale for the next 3 days at FS for 899

What's FS?
post #633 of 675 Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 PM

FS = Futureshop, an electronics store in Canada.

pretty killer price for a 55" LCD.

i imagine the uniformity of the screen is gonna be a little rough at 55", but hey, at that price, it's hard to complain.

i have the 40" in the bedroom and it's served me well. good AR filter from the matte screen.

as for SD PQ, i can't say i pay too much attention to it. i mean who really grades HDTV's based on their SD PQ these days? anyways, i don't think you're gonna find a lot of users here critiquing the SD PQ of this set.
post #634 of 675 Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post

I also had "problems" with the brightness fluctuating. After reading this thread, it turns out it is a feature that can't be turned off (local dimming). Having a future firmware update that makes this feature adjustable would be greatly appreciated. I find it really annoying almost to the point where it would make me want to return the tv. No one else finds this annoying? This t.v. also exhibits the flashlights in the 4 corners. My model is the 55pfl7505.

it is not local dimming, also flashlighting in the corners is very common on all brands, and for a tv under 1k dont expect it to perform like a 3k tv. iv had this t.v since january (5505), and overly impressed. bang for the buck... no tv in its class can compare. yes the 1d is annoying, particularly hockey games, which is where i notice it the most. A firmware update would correct that but im sure there is reasons not to?. also, this t.v is 120hz, dnm is an added feature to improve on it, it is the 1d that allows them to say 240hz. so for those that love sports, do not turn on the dnm feature, you will just amplify the blur. alot of the issues people face with motion blur is a source issue, or for the technically challenged, are expecting a bargain tv to perform like that nice 3k tv they just couldnt afford. So for those above, asking if is a good buy? 100% it is a great buy! just dont expect it to have all the bells and whistles of a t.v that is double or triple the price. also, the panel on this puppy is a samsung.....
post #635 of 675 Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hello everyone - I took delivery of a 55PFL5505D over the weekend (my 7-year old Panny DLP died on me a couple o f weeks ago).

So far, I'm very pleased with the image quality - nice and bright, which is exactly what I needed in my living room. I do have a few questions about specific settings for the unit, however:
  • The unscaled display option only appears to be available for 1080i/1080p display signals; I'm wondering if there's a way to enable it for other display modes such as 720p. The reason I ask is so I can eliminate overscan for display sources other than 1080 WITHOUT resorting to PC mode (which eliminates a number of the display setting options).
  • Another issue I have is regarding my STB i.e. cable box. Whenever I access the Guide, the TV display flickers for a moment, as if the source video signal has changed, when it hasn't. My old DLP did not do this, neither do other LCD displays I've come across (i.e. my parents'). This does not happen when I access the STB menu settings, but only the program Guide specifically.

I'm still tweaking the display settings, but I'm quite happy with what I see. And for the price I paid, definitely a fantastic value. 24p playback with blu ray movies looks absolutely stunning!

post #636 of 675 Old 06-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

[*]Another issue I have is regarding my STB i.e. cable box. Whenever I access the Guide, the TV display flickers for a moment, as if the source video signal has changed, when it hasn't. My old DLP did not do this, neither do other LCD displays I've come across (i.e. my parents'). This does not happen when I access the STB menu settings, but only the program Guide specifically.

problem has been previously posted in this thread. i have the same issue. happens when you change channels too.

the solution is to go component cable with the cable box. apparently it's an HDMI hand-shake issue.
post #637 of 675 Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 PM

@tezter
I have reported all the issues you have mentioned to our Dev team and unfortunately could not get any positive reply from them.

If they do unscaled on non-PC mode for 720p or 480i it literally displays it unscled, i.e. it shows 1280x720 in the center of the screen with huge black bars on all for sides. What you need is scaled to fit with no overscan, and I don't know why they cannot do it for 720p?

About your other issue, it is an HDMI sync issue and I know it does not happen on all TVs.

Power Stride & Ready to Ride!
Opinions, suggestions, criticisms, questions on Philips HD (USA & Canada) products, please ask.

All
opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
post #638 of 675 Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Ah well... thanks for looking into it. I can live with these little issues. On the whole, I'm quite content with how the TV works. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good.
post #639 of 675 Old 07-12-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbyss View Post

Maverick: I have gotten so irritated, while watching a hockey game... by the dimming effect... that while watching hockey, I switch from HDTV mode to PC mode.... but problem with pc mode, very limited for adjustments, like sharpness etc... and picture seems very dull..... Hopefully a firmware update, could allow turning off dimming in HDTV mode or more adjustments in pc mode.... It is very irritating to say the least as it is very noticable, the whole screen darkens and brightens and its very extreme..... 55pfl5505

Did you find a solution for this?
post #640 of 675 Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM

Candidly speaking, I don't think they are ever going to change that. I have asked them about it and they told me cannot be done. I am not sure why but I am guessing it has something to do with how the PQ chip operates in PC mode vs. HDTV mode.

Opinions, suggestions, criticisms, questions on Philips HD (USA & Canada) products, please ask.

All
post #641 of 675 Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mav - Just helped my brother set up his new 40PFL5706 last weekend - very impressed with the PQ and the black levels - even the TV's sound quality is rather impressive - were going to try out the built in Wifi next weekend and see that that works.

Wazy
post #642 of 675 Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 PM

Hey guys!

Finally decided to jump on this TV, got it at a steal (wallyworld!) and I've been comparing endlessly between this and the other within the similar price range (and higher!) and the feedback from here has been amazing! Not to mention, Maverick, whose support and information (and attitude!) have been exemplary and a GIANT motivating factor in purchasing this TV.

That being said I have a question:

I recently installed TVersity to stream my media from the PC to the XBOX wirelessly and quite well. I must say 720p and the like look stunning! My only qualm is with XviD and other .avi files. Now if your not familiar with TVersity maybe you can't help, but it uses ffdshow to transcode and stream. If I change those setting in ffdshow to those recommended here will that carry over to TVersity?

Also, can you recommend any other settings to minimize the "box like/graininess" associated with smaller and/or lower quality video files?

A long shot but I figure worth asking!

Thanks!
post #643 of 675 Old 07-20-2011, 03:20 PM

I am very pleased to see everyone is happy with the Philips sets.

I work for a P&F authorized repair shop. And P&F's support to us and our customers is simply the best in the business. We also support many other brands but none compare.

My only request is we need more repair work from P&F, we cover the entire state of VA, and I don't get any more than 2 or 3 calls a month.... come on help me out here. LOL

Continue to produce a quality product, with the support to match, and we will continue to recommend your products to our customers!

Thanks,
Jim

PS. Is DaveinGA the Dave in Tech support?
post #644 of 675 Old 07-26-2011, 06:25 AM

Goldenchild. Why are you using TVersity when you can just stream via Media Center on the 360? What makes TVersity better? Until you mentioned it I hadn't ever heard of it.
post #645 of 675 Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild1 View Post

Hey guys!

Finally decided to jump on this TV, got it at a steal (wallyworld!) and I've been comparing endlessly between this and the other within the similar price range (and higher!) and the feedback from here has been amazing! Not to mention, Maverick, whose support and information (and attitude!) have been exemplary and a GIANT motivating factor in purchasing this TV.

That being said I have a question:

I recently installed TVersity to stream my media from the PC to the XBOX wirelessly and quite well. I must say 720p and the like look stunning! My only qualm is with XviD and other .avi files. Now if your not familiar with TVersity maybe you can't help, but it uses ffdshow to transcode and stream. If I change those setting in ffdshow to those recommended here will that carry over to TVersity?

Also, can you recommend any other settings to minimize the "box like/graininess" associated with smaller and/or lower quality video files?

A long shot but I figure worth asking!

Thanks!

I don't use TVersity but you can easily figure out if the setttings you make in ffdshow carry over to your XBOX.

Do you see the checkbox on the top which says "Process whole image" & "Only right half". toggle back and forth and see if carries over.

Also, since I have never installed TVersity myself I do not know if TVersity installs another instance of ffdshow in addition to say ... if you install ffdshow independently or via K-Lite Mega Codec Pac, etc.

If this is the case you will have to make this change in TVersity's instance of ffdshow.

All
post #646 of 675 Old 07-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74f100 View Post

I am very pleased to see everyone is happy with the Philips sets.

I work for a P&F authorized repair shop. And P&F's support to us and our customers is simply the best in the business. We also support many other brands but none compare.

My only request is we need more repair work from P&F, we cover the entire state of VA, and I don't get any more than 2 or 3 calls a month.... come on help me out here. LOL

Continue to produce a quality product, with the support to match, and we will continue to recommend your products to our customers!

Thanks,
Jim

PS. Is DaveinGA the Dave in Tech support?

Jim: Dave in GA works in GA - The Dave in tech support is in TN.

All
post #647 of 675 Old 07-26-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Jim: Dave in GA works in GA - The Dave in tech support is in TN.

LOL,,,, yeah didn't figure he would move. I used to talk to him back in the early 90's, then got back into a place doing Philips again in 07, and Dave was still there.

Jim
post #648 of 675 Old 07-27-2011, 10:47 AM

TVersity is an awesome program that turns your PC into a media server. Not only that, but it also processes the video "on the go" and streams in supported formats to your devices. Whereas the 360 does have the Media Extender, it does not play AVI or certain other formats, only MPEG and the ilk. So this solved that problem for me. And it turns out the adjustments on ffd do carry over!

There was another issue that was nagging me and I had read previously regarding channel changes and the black screen. When changing channels (especially in HD channels) the channel will flicker on, then black screen for 3-4 seconds, before reappearing. It was a little aggravating but not a deal breaker. Turns out the settings in my cable box (BrightHouse in central Florida) had the "Banner Timer" (The info box on the bottom when changing channels) set to "Medium" When I switched it to "Short," Presto! Problem solved. Hope this helps anyone else with this issue!
post #649 of 675 Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 PM

I purchased the Philips 40pfl7505d model about a week ago and I have loved this tv!!! I have one thing that has been bugging and I can't seem to figure it out. My tv has this greenish tint to certain shadows(shadows on faces, medium shadows or dark shades of gray etc)

I've looked everywhere to see if this has been a problem for this tv but came up with nothing. Thought I would post in here to see if you guys could help
post #650 of 675 Old 08-15-2011, 04:00 PM

Hey murph,

I have never heard of it or seen it myself. Does this happen on multiple sources. e.g. Cable/Satellite, Blu-Ray, DVD, analog, SD digital, HD digital signals or just on one particular source?

Is it on all scenes or just certain dark scenes?

Please connect your laptop/PC to the TV and view the following image full screen:

http://tirnanog.fate.jp/tmp/scan/8.4...0HD%20vmr9.png

And let me know if you see all grays or Red, Blue or Greens creeping in anywhere in the pattern. Also, just as a control case, view the same image on your PC screen, other TVs/Displays you have and compare.

If it is mostly grays the green shadows might just be scene lighting, signal related vs. the TV introducing them.

Try viewing the test pattern with Dynamic contrast on/off.

Also, try setting your picture settings using this guide:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

All
post #651 of 675 Old 08-15-2011, 06:35 PM

i have a macbook pro and can't connect it to the tv because it only supports up to a 30inch monitor as another display or mirroring the same screen

i have notice this on satellite channels where some one is wearing either are dark gray suit and it seems to have a greenish color to it and a lot one some channels where there is a big contrast of shadows on faces and neck. there will be no shadow and at then at the beginning of it there will be greenish color which then go black or seems to have what looks like a more natural color for a shadow on a person. i guess it could just be the signal from the channel or something but i viewed a show that was on my tv and had it on on a different tv and that tv did not seem to have this greenish color on dark areas. i don't know its just hard to explain.

i havent noticed this effect on blu rays as of yet but i have seen it on older dvds
post #652 of 675 Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 PM

Maverick or any other knowledgeable person, would downloading the firmware update for the TV to my phone instead of a flash drive work?
post #653 of 675 Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 PM

The firmware will only work on a blank formatted (FAT 32) usb drive.

I have tried to get them to work with just the readme file and the upgrade to no avail.

Jim
post #654 of 675 Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2alta View Post

Maverick or any other knowledgeable person, would downloading the firmware update for the TV to my phone instead of a flash drive work?

This would only work if your phone has some type of setting where it could be configured to act purely as a USB mass storage device (short answer, probably not).

Depending on when you bought your set, it may already have the latest firmware (mine did).
post #655 of 675 Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 AM

Thanks, guys. Turns out I actually did have the latest firmware already. I was really hoping some magical new update would change the channel display font and that gaudy volume icon. I know it's vain but it really makes it look like a cheap set.
post #656 of 675 Old 08-27-2011, 01:13 PM

Another question. Using an ATV2 I can't get SD content, both in Netflix and streaming with XBMC etc., to show in fullscreen. It's always in letterbox with about 6in of nothing on either side vertically. Anyone able to help with this?
post #657 of 675 Old 09-01-2011, 01:32 AM

Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing the 40" (40PFL5505DF7B) specifically, and haven't found any information as to whether it can display a PAL format video signal. Earlier in this thread it was pointed out that the Philips tuners are no longer global/no longer pick up PAL signal. The tuner does not matter to me, as I don't require the tuner. All I need is the TV itself to display the 576i or 576p picture via either composite or component cable from (a PS2).
A guy I know in the TV "industry" has told me that almost all new HDTVs are capable of displaying PAL, whether they list in their specs or not. I'd like to know if anyone here knows if Philips sets can display it or not.
Thanks in advance for information you can give me!

I spoke with a customer service rep this morning on the phone, and he said that Philips North American sets do NOT display PAL format anymore. I'd still love to have someone contradict me on this of course, as for serious gaming conversion boxes can't be used due to the processing lag. Damn. At least I didn't have the thing shipped to my door, set it up, and find out it didn't work.
post #658 of 675 Old 09-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Greetings all,

I just purchased the 40PFL5505D/F7 set and am impressed with the HD picture quality. However I seem to be having an issue with SD on the composite input.

I have a couple ReplayTV DVRs hooked to a switch that is connected to the composite input. The picture looks OK for some of the shows I watch, but others have obvious interlacing artifacts (horizontal lines in fast moving sections of the picture).

I was wondering if there was any setting that could alleviate this problem.

I see the artifacting no matter which picture format I use (but usually use 4:3).

I have tried turning on/off a bunch of video settings, but none of them seem to have any affect on this issue (although I may have missed the right combination of settings).

One other thing I noticed is this:

My ReplayTV DVR has a screen saver that comes on after no activity. It is the circular ReplayTV logo that moves in a diagonally straight line across the screen until it hits the edge and "bounces" off and starts moving in the other direction (think the ball in "pong").

Anyway, most of the time when I look at this, it is fine, but occasionally when the screen saver turns on I will see obvious interlacing artifacts on the circle as it moves across the screen.

When it happens, if I change inputs to another source on the TV, and then go back to the composite input, the problem goes away.

Note that nothing I do (including switching inputs and back) seems to resolve the artifact issue on the actual video content.

I don't know if this screen saver problem is related to the general interlace artifact issue, but I just thought I would include that, just in case it gave further insight as to what may be happening.

>UPDATE<<br />
Here is something that may be a clue as to what may be causing the problem:

If I pop up any on-screen-display (OSD) (such as pressing the "Info" button on the remote), the problem goes away for as long as the OSD is on the screen. As soon as the OSD goes away, the problem returns (this is for both the screen saver screen and for normal video playback). If I play a segment of video that displays the problem, and then replay that same segment with the OSD on, the problem does not occur.

Note that the issue seems to mostly occur during scene transitions (where the entire picture changes from one frame to the next), but I also see it during some fast-movement scenes.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide on this.

> UPDATE 2 <<br />
I just noticed that if I turn on "Digital Natural Motion" (either Minimum or Maximum) it also fixes the problem, however I would rather not have to turn this on while viewing this SD content, as I have noticed some undesirable side-effects.

I really think this is something that can be fixed, I just hope that a setting or firmware update is available to do so.

Space - AB8NdtJzDULjgKvuDX3eJxHpXx88Xy9H
post #659 of 675 Old 09-29-2011, 07:25 AM

This forum is great. In the market for a new Flat Screen (Old 50" DLP died) and have a budget of $1000. I don't want to go smaller than 50". I have gotten lots of great information about the Phillips 55PFL5705. I have searched the forum and can't find much info on the 55PFL5706.

Local Sams Club has both the 55PFL5705 ($947) and 55PFL5706 ($997). I have watched both and listened to both, but not side by side. 55PFL5705 sounds a bit better (4 speakers). Both Pictures look great but can't really tell any differences.

I have compared the 2 on the Phillips site and the main differences seem to be

55PFL5705 55PFL5706
Contrast Ratio 7000:1 5000:1
Response Time 1 ms 6 ms
Refresh rate 240 Hz 120 Hz
Audio Output 20w 20w
# of Speakers 4 2

The one minor 'option' that I do like on the 55PFL5706 is that it can play videos (.avi) from a plugged in USB device. I could probably get this on a new Blu Ray player.

Any recommendations on which model is better would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #660 of 675 Old 09-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

I think the difference between the two is the scanning backlight of the 5705, whereas the 5706 doesn't have it, hence the difference in contrast ratio/refresh rate (albeit it's still not a true 240hz set). So the former should have a slight edge in image quality over the latter. I'm not completely sure, but I think the 5706 has additional media/wi-fi capabilities.

I would go for the 5705 if I were in your position.

FYI I also upgraded from a 50" DLP and am very pleased with the Philips.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page