Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrohan View Post

First try this:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8288zo...L-0AA_116_0.7z

If that does not solve the issue, I'd suggest you exchange the TV at the store ... sorry about that

maverickrohan: What changes are in version 116 verses 114?
Thanks wazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 675 Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ill try that to see if it changes somethinks. Thanks. and yeah whats the difference between both versions?
post #93 of 675 Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 PM

Just spent a few hours with this set (55 incher). It's a pretty good set for the money, especially if you keep your expectations in check. This is of course by no means a reference set, or equal to a plasma when it comes to black levels (very few LCDs are, if any, right?). I'm onto firmware 114, will install maverick's 116 later tomorrow.

Again, keep your expectations in check and it's a good little set. Got it for 1449$ at F Shop last Friday. I'm replacing a defective Samsung plasma so I'm underwhelmed by comparison. But I'm growing to like it a lot. I've got my brightness set a little higher than you guys tho (56).
post #94 of 675 Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM

I'll let you guys know what changes were made for 1.14 to 1.16 when I find out myself

Power Stride & Ready to Ride!
Opinions, suggestions, criticisms, questions on Philips HD (USA & Canada) products, please ask.

All
opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
post #95 of 675 Old 08-25-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:

I'll let you guys know what changes were made for 1.14 to 1.16 when I find out myself

Actually the modes you mentioned before , game, movie etc, were not there in 114. They are in 116. So it's fairly major.
post #96 of 675 Old 08-27-2010, 01:22 PM

This TV (Philips 55" 1080p 240Hz LCD HDTV 55PFL5505) is on sale for $1299 at Futureshop right now.

And for all of you who have bought this TV for more than $1299 within the past 30 days at Futureshop, go get a Futureshop credit for the difference.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...5df0683b37en02

Samsung Plasma PN58C6500, LG Blu-Ray BD590, Pioneer Elite Rcvr SC-05, Bell TV 9400, Apple TV 1 Jailbroken XBMC, WDTV Live+, Patriot BoxOffice, Xbox 360, PC, Harmony 550
post #97 of 675 Old 08-28-2010, 09:31 AM

I havent checked everything yet, but so far the new update seems to have fixed the problems I had with the tv. Is Philips gonna release updates like that all the time cause that be amazing.
post #98 of 675 Old 08-28-2010, 07:49 PM

yup ... if there are genuine issues which need to be fixed ... we will

Opinions, suggestions, criticisms, questions on Philips HD (USA & Canada) products, please ask.

All
post #99 of 675 Old 08-30-2010, 07:48 AM

Have to throw in my 2 cents.

Bought this TV a couple of days ago at Future Shop based on the reviews here and "WOW" cannot explain how great the picture is. Amazed by the vibrant colors and deep blacks. Would have like to have seen a TruMotion button like the Auto Mode and
Pixel Plus to allow activation on the fly rather than going thru the options all the time. Love the TV !!!!
post #100 of 675 Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM

Tempted by the Future Shop deal, I saw it in store and was impressed, but I have some questions.

How is the tuner on this TV? I would use it 95% of the time for gaming and movies, so I don't want an HD decoder for now in the room where it would be, but I might have to use analog cable from time to time. I have an Insignia with a terrible tuner that has to go through all the channels when I go channel up, and takes a second at each. Does this one skip to the next even if it hasn't finished getting the signal on the current one?

How is input switching? Is it Harmony remote friendly? Does it have a discreet signal for each input or does it have to cycle through all inputs? If it does can we remove the inputs we don't use from the cycle?

I saw it in store and noticed that black text on white background had some weird separation in the bottom of the letter. The letters where 10cm high and 2 wide. The last line of pixels was separated from the rest of the letter by a white bright line.
Let's say the following is the bottom of a vertically moving black letter on a white background, where B is a black pixel and W white pixel, it looked a bit like this:
WWBBBBBBBBBBBBWW
WWBBBBBBBBBBBBWW
WWBBBBBBBBBBBBWW
WWWWWWWWWWW
WWBBBBBBBBBBBBWW
WWWWWWWWWWW
Anyone noticed this? Maybe it's not noticeable when far from the TV, I was at 2 feet.
It also might be the signal because they share a component signal for all TVs.

Is there another firmware update in the works and what would it bring?

Thank you for your time.
post #101 of 675 Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:

I also have updates for the 2010 5705, 7505 & 7705, lemme me know if anyone needs them?

Hi,

I have just purchased a Philips 40PFL5705D/F7 LCD HDTV from ShopNBC.com, and I have some questions.

Is there a screendoor effect on the Philips 40PFL5705D/F7? I ask because I have been using an Epson LCD projector for the past 4 years now and it has really bad screendoor effect and it bothers me alot.

If you have the update for the 40PFL5705D/F7 can I please have the link for it, and does it have the game and movie modes?

I just can't wait to get the Philips 40PFL5705D/F7 1080p LCD HDTV, as this will be my first HDTV to play video games and watch movies on!

Thanks for the help.

post #102 of 675 Old 09-01-2010, 01:13 AM

Hi, Anyone still here? I could really use that update. Thanks again.
post #103 of 675 Old 09-01-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstbstr View Post

Hi, Anyone still here? I could really use that update. Thanks again.

ghstbster: Not sure what you mean by "screendoor" effect? please explain - as far as the firmware update check mavrickrohan previous threads here and you will find it there. Just follow the instructions in your manual - It's quite simple.

Wazy
post #104 of 675 Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 AM

Posting both the links again in one post:

For 40PFL5505D/F7, 46PFL5505D/F7, 55PFL5505D/F7:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8288zo...L-0AA_116_0.7z

For 40PFL5705D/F7, 46PFL5705D/F7, 55PFL5705D/F7, 40PFL7705D/F7, 46PFL7705D/F7, 55PFL7705D/F7:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jrn5p6...L-0BA_521_0.7z

Software Upgrade Instructions
1. Turn on your TV.
2. Insert the USB drive (FAT32 formatted with the right file) in the USB port located on the back left hand side of the TV.
3. Navigate to: Menu -> Setup -> Software Update -> Updates -> USB -> Select a file.
4. Select the update file (*.upg) and then follow the onscreen instructions to update your TV.

All
post #105 of 675 Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstbstr View Post

Hi,

I have just purchased a Philips 40PFL5705D/F7 LCD HDTV from ShopNBC.com, and I have some questions.

Is there a screendoor effect on the Philips 40PFL5705D/F7? I ask because I have been using an Epson LCD projector for the past 4 years now and it has really bad screendoor effect and it bothers me alot.

If you have the update for the 40PFL5705D/F7 can I please have the link for it, and does it have the game and movie modes?

I just can't wait to get the Philips 40PFL5705D/F7 1080p LCD HDTV, as this will be my first HDTV to play video games and watch movies on!

Thanks for the help.

A screen door effect only occurs in digital projection systems and is introduced due to optics (lens, etc.) in DLPs & digital projectors.

It is an optical effect which occurs when the lines separating pixels get amplified over long distances due to the lens zoom. It was very evident when old 640x480 digital projectors were used to project large images over long distances.

I don't think this is possible in LCDs & there is no way a software upgrade can alleviate an optical effect (even in projectors).

Interestingly:
You de-focus your projector to reduce the screen door effect .... the reason this is interesting is ... similarly ... you add noise to digital images to de-band them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither#...age_processing

All
post #106 of 675 Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 AM

Is there any (known) way to get at individual R G B saturation controls for this set?

I love the set, the picture is great, but according to my calibration bluray I could improve my Red and Green color saturation.

Thanks for any help!
post #107 of 675 Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 AM

Will this Philips' PQ look good in the bedroom as well? I've read the thread and the experts say no LCD will come close to plasma technology. The units are on sale at Futureshop in Canada but the biggest discount is on the 40" unit.

Thanks.
post #108 of 675 Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM

I bought one for the bedroom and for the $599 price tag as of this weeks FS flyer, it is fantastic. I have a 46" XBR4 in the TV room and I'm not about to say it's as good but it's a great set at this price point as long as you're mosty going to view HD on it.

Contrast 91
Brightness 47
Color 45
Tint 0
sharpness 1 or 2
color temp warm
dynamic contrast off
DNM off
noise reduction off
mpeg red off
color enhancement off
active control off
picture format unscaled
post #109 of 675 Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 PM

That has been my experience as well with this set (had it for 3 weeks now): HD content looks great, regular content (even upscaled DVDs thru my PS3) look pretty awful with a lot of grain. So HD gaming + Blu-ray = very very nice PQ, the rest = not good.

Still don't feel as if I've achieved perfect calibration yet but getting there.
post #110 of 675 Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashsrighthand View Post

That has been my experience as well with this set (had it for 3 weeks now): HD content looks great, regular content (even upscaled DVDs thru my PS3) look pretty awful with a lot of grain. So HD gaming + Blu-ray = very very nice PQ, the rest = not good.

Still don't feel as if I've achieved perfect calibration yet but getting there.

Ashrighthand:

Not sure which set you have but i have the 55" version - I have an Oppo Bluray which when watching DVD's looks almost bluray like - I believe that it's more to do with the source DVD - last night were we watching Date Night on DVD and during the previews 2 of the 3 previews looked realy good but the one preview was just terrible - actually reminded me of some of bell Expressvu's 200 channels! Date Night was very good quality - We also watched Triage on DVD a week ago and it wasnt very good either - Having said that we have probably watched at least 12-15 DVD's on this tv and all except Triage had HD quality to them. Bluray is always excelent - SD isnt great but ive seen a lot worse - Im almost at the point where I dont need to re-calibrate anymore - I calibrated three times and made minor adjustments each time. Will probably do it once more in a couple of weeks and see where that takes me. One thing i have noticed is that the picture quality seems better with active contol on - I use the light sensor at night when watching movies as our viewing room is quite dark and with the sensor on it does improve black levels a little more - I also now leave DNM on minimum for most viewing unless i really get the soap opera effect. I find it works great especially on DVD's & Blu ray's and makes for a very smooth picture with great detail. It's one of those features that some people like and others don't - Im starting to like it more & more. I leave it on for sports and see no issues with it even on football - my brother in law's 52" Samsung when watching football shows trails on the football when a pass is made - I don't have that issue at all - Ive only seen it sometimes on golf when the ball is in the air but for the most part it's never an issue.

Wazy
post #111 of 675 Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 AM

I also have the 55 incher.
What distance are you from the set Wazy? I'm fairly close (about 5.5 feet) which might not help with the grainy DVD. I have not used the DNM because I hate the halo effect around fast moving objects (I don't get it with DNM off). My player for content is a PS3 BTW.
post #112 of 675 Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 AM

I have the 40 inch set and I also think the SD quality of the dvds are good. It depends on the source of the DVD really. Even some old trashy Horror fun from the 80s looks ****ing great with this tv. I have DNM turned off also. I really dont like the effect at all. I think movies are not supposed to look like that. It makes the camera goes faster and everything looks weird and not natural for a film... maybe its good for Sports but i use it mainly for gaming and watching movies on my ps3.. and the quality for DivX films is really good. Way better than the samsung 610 i think when I'm using my PS3 to find my files on my computer.

The 40 is at 599 right now at futureshop. What a steal. I bought mine like 29 days ago so i got the 100 $ back. I'M happy.
post #113 of 675 Old 09-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Do you guys took the extended warranty? Is it worth it. I'm never sure if I should take it or not hehe.
post #114 of 675 Old 09-04-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashsrighthand View Post

I also have the 55 incher.
What distance are you from the set Wazy? I'm fairly close (about 5.5 feet) which might not help with the grainy DVD. I have not used the DNM because I hate the halo effect around fast moving objects (I don't get it with DNM off). My player for content is a PS3 BTW.

Ashsrighthand/scalped:

As far as viewing distance - for a 55" you should be roughly 9-11 ft away - at 5.5 ft you would definetely see more of a grainy picture. Re DNM Mavrickrohan posted back further in this thread the following: ""Digital Natural Motion" i.e. TV interpolates video frames vs. doing a simple frame repeat to achieve the panels 120Hz refresh rate is something you eventually get used to.

Film content used to be shot at 24fps simply because of technological limitations back in the day. I wish studios started shooting movies at a higher film rate. Simply because real 60 fps looks way better than 24 interpolated to 120.

You will get used to DNM, and once you do, you'll start hating the 24fps judder (which I have no clue, why people still like) ..."

I do notice the juder he talks about when the DNM is turned off - he was right - after using it for a while you do get used to it.

Scalped / As far as extended warranty goes - no i didnt - usually if your going to have an issue with a tv it's within the first couple of months which is covered under warranty anyways. If it does fail out of warranty the cost to repair usually is so high that you may as well get a new tv. Some people do it for peace of mind but some extended warranties are over $300.00 - the repairs are usually at least that amount and in most cases well over that and depending on what it is could almost cost as much as a new tv. Id save the $300.00 and take my chances - I currently have 7 LCD's and have not had an issue with any of them. The only flatscreen i had a problem with was a Philips 50 " plasma which ended up having a bad panel which showed up as red dot crawl after about 6 months - Philips had discontinued plasmas so they offered me a 52" LCD to replace it with Ambilight and while I wasnt really too much in favor of the idea at the time I took them up on it - at the time the LCD was worth about $700.00 more than what i paid for the plasma and quite frankly I ended up liking the LCD better - the blacks were not quite as good but the overall PQ was better. Because Philips looked after me with the plasma thats why I ended up buying this 55" (price had a lot to do with it as well) - the 52" went upstairs into our bedroom. I really only buy extended warranties on equipment that has moving parts like a laptop/pc .

Wazy
post #115 of 675 Old 09-04-2010, 02:23 PM

I usually don't get extended warranties, but originaly I had bought a Samsung 3D plasma (the cheapest 50 inch) and I was kinda worried about 1-plasma burn-in (I always buy LCD) and 2-the 3D, so I got the extended warranty THIS time. 2 panels and severe image retention problems later, I dropped the 3D and got the 55 Inch Philips and I kept the extended coverage (whew sorry I didn't make a long story short I guess). But most of the time it's a rip off IMO.
post #116 of 675 Old 09-05-2010, 03:24 PM

also just purchased this baby today, and so far loving it. bought it based on the sale price, plus also mainly due to the positive reviews here, plus the live support from maverick!

TV looks great so far. this is my first 120hz set, so still trying to get used to the smoothing feature. it creates a few artifacts, but nothing distracting at all, and totally watchable.

upgraded to the latest firmware as well as per the instructions in this thread.

again, lovin this TV so far. kind bummed that the TV doesn't have analog RCA audio output, since I was gonna use my PC speakers for sound. this is a bedroom TV, but still, I despise TV speakers! might have to buy a small soundbar or something, b/c I'm not thrilled with the echo-ey sound I'm getting from the standard TV speakers.

anyways, time to go watch some blus!
post #117 of 675 Old 09-05-2010, 04:36 PM

hey guys, anyone controlling this TV with a Harmony remote?

i'm having issues with getting the TV to select the right input when I'm cycling through activities.

when I press help on the harmony remote and it asks me if the TV is on "input #X", and I say no to tell it to find the right input, it simply cycles through the inputs, by going down one input from the list.

can this TV not simply select the desired input? can anyone share with me their Harmony remote settings with this TV?

thanks.
post #118 of 675 Old 09-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Problem with remote is not limited with harmony. I can't find a code that allows cycling thru inputs with belltv 5.2ir. Works with 5.3ir (code 770). Wonder if upgrading to new software would solve the issue.

About the sound, I'm glad not to be alone to think it is bad :-) .

As far as the viewing experience, it is very good.
post #119 of 675 Old 09-05-2010, 05:11 PM

i adjusted the Harmony settings, and so far it's working decently. when i change activities, the TV pulls up the input list, and goes and selects the right one by moving up or down on that list. so as long as you're starting on the right input, it'll know exactly how many steps up or down to go to find your desired input.

but now... onto another problem!!!

i have a Scientific Atlanta 8300 PVR, and when I channel surf, and land on a channel, the image blinks on and off and then back on for a split second. It seems to do this at random. sometimes when i land on a channel, the image comes on and stays there. other times, the image comes on, blinks off (shows a black screen) for like half a second, then comes back on. it seems to be doing this every other channel, at random.

this is completely annoying. while i'm not sure this is a deal-breaker, it really is irritating.

i tried hooking up my regular Scientific Atlanta 4250 HD cable box, and the result is the same, so deduction tells me it's not the set-top boxes, but the TV.

anyone else having this issue? and more importantly, a fix?

Maverickrohan, any idea of what's up?
post #120 of 675 Old 09-05-2010, 08:32 PM

ok an hour of watching TV, and i'm officially fed up with the blinking images when channel surfing.

it seems to only happen on HD channels, but at the same time, it also always happens when I click on "list" to show my recorded shows.

don't think i can live with this.

gonna call tech support on this guy tomorrow to see if there might be a resolution.

EDIT: uggghh.... sorry to sound like a broken record, but now my TV seems possessed. i was watching TV just now, and it turned off by itself, then 2 seconds later, turned back on. did i get a lemon?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page