post #271 of 426 Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike View Post

Pilot just delivered my TV and I am quite displeased with how they operate. A couple yahoos who barely spoke english arrived in a penske truck an hour and a half after the 3 hour window. To my horror, I watch them open the back of the truck to see that my TV was not secured in any way. It was just bouncing around back there!

I have not unpacked it to verify that it works yet as they literally just left. Needless to say both Pilot and Amazon will be receiving calls from me.

If Amazon has an alternative besides Pilot for delivery, I would highly recommend that anyone looking to order a TV not go with Pilot.

Well that really sucks. I guess what has been said before of Pilot being a contract service must be true--and you are totally dependent on how the final delivery point operates. Fortunately for me, things went very smoothly in Orlando--I hope the Orlando operation is not the exception but it is sad that the Pilot delivery service can't be more consistent.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 426 Old 12-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

Sorry to hear about the delivery problems. I guess it's really dependent on each crew. My 55-6800 was delivered right in the middle of my 3 hour window. It was a father-daughter team (how strange is that?); father was 40-50, daughter in her 20's. I think Indian, but not sure, and it doesn't matter.

They were unbelievably polite. Secured well (I looked in the truck, I was curious how many other TVs they had), they brought it in. I told them I was going to hang it on the wall, and I didn't really need them for anything. He asked to please open it, and plug it in, and make sure it works.

So he did, and it worked, and all is well. Great job!

BTW, I recently re-tweaked my settings. I wasn't happy with the soap-opera effect, so I used a mashup of several settings posted here. I fiddled till I found a look that worked for me. I'll post it later this weekend.

Well I'm glad I wasn't the only one who got a good Pilot crew. Only one guy from the Orlando depot delivered my 55 in but he was very helpful and courteous. He did unbox it, set it up on the stand and placed it on the TV stand I bought, and connected it to make sure it worked. All done carefully and efficiently--he arrived right at the beginning of my window. Too bad they all can't be that way.

Bob

post #273 of 426 Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Liked: 10
Well sounds like Pilot is better in other parts of the country. Anyone in the SF bay area, be warned.

Anyway. Got my 55C6800 set up yesterday and so far no problems. Many thanks to those that have posted their settings. I am really quite surprised how little adjustment is needed. My old 46" took a lot of tweaking to get right.

Of course the first blu ray I played was Avatar. Looks tremendous as expected. The blacks on this set are really amazing. My old set doesn't even compare.

Price on Amazon for the UN55C6800 is down to $1919.95 by the way.
post #274 of 426 Old 12-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I set up my Un46c6900 last night. So far, very impressed. I do see some brightness in the corners on occassion, mainly with black border and bright screen. I assume that is due to the edge lit LEDs.

Anyway, everything else looks good. I started with some of the setting suggestions others posted and I am tweaking to my liking from there.

Netflix works great - good wireless connection and speed.
post #275 of 426 Old 12-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Just want to know what settings i should have for audio playback on this setup. I have hdmi for the blu-ray player
Samsung 6900 tv
Samsung 6500 blu-ray player
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System with optical
Much appreciated thanks
post #276 of 426 Old 12-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burieddeep View Post

Ordered the UN55C6800 at TigerDirect last Monday for $1,699.99. The Cyber Monday sale also included a link stick in the price. It just got delivered today. Lookin forward to setting this up tonight after work.

I ordered the same and still waiting for mine. It's all back-ordered. Don't know when I am going to get it. Can you tell what panel it is? Any issues with delivery?
post #277 of 426 Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark160 View Post

Just want to know what settings i should have for audio playback on this setup. I have hdmi for the blu-ray player
Samsung 6900 tv
Samsung 6500 blu-ray player
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System with optical
Much appreciated thanks

Yeah, I can't decide what audio setting to have it on either. I'm kinda disappointed in this bluray surround sound system. I have it on "Music" I think now, and it still not as good as my XBOX Pioneer. surround sound.
post #278 of 426 Old 12-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

My Netflix is jumpy on the playback. Has anyone found a solution for this yet? I am still playing with settings at this point. I am very disappointed. My 52" Sony XBR accesses Netflix through an LG networked DVD player. I have no such issues on that. If I cannot get a solution soon, I may return the set and stick with standard LCD.
post #279 of 426 Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 PM

Well, after the delay by Pilot, they actually showed up this (Sunday) morning bright and early at 8am. A quick 5 minute drop off (I didn't want them opening it up / testing it as it would be difficult to navigate the minefield that is our first floor during this festive season of holiday decorating, but that's another story...), and then a couple hours for the TV to warm up to room temp (it was cold and raining outside this a.m.), and I was finally able to plug 'er in and test things out.

My first impression of the UN55C6800 was disappointing - I saw lots of flashlighting, lots of edge light creep, and wasn't wowed by the black levels at all, especially with the lights turned off and room darkened as much as I could get it. Then, I realized my mistake - I had put the TV on the floor so I could test it out before dealing with mounting it on the entertainment console mounting bracket (which would require removing the existing Sammie 46"), and silly me was looking at the TV from an angle which virtually nobody would look at a TV - from way above at about a 30 degree angle looking down.

So... I (along with the help of wifey of course) moved the TV up onto the entertainment console, and since this TV is a mere 1" thick, it sat in front of the existing 46" with no problem. I sat back down on the ground, and wow, the difference was striking. Now the black levels were very nearly black, and edge lighting was almost imperceptible. Huh, go figure, viewing the TV the way it was intended to actually worked out!

I spent the better part of the rest of the day fiddling with getting it mounted, a chore in and of itself. It seems as though Samsung no longer packs in the screws needed for the Vesa mounting sockets on the back of the TV, and the two sets I had with my 3rd party mount actually did not fit (one was too long, and the other - too short!) I lucked out though and actually still had the original screws from the 46" unit, so I decided I'd scavenge those and just inform the next owner that it does not come with said screws. So, long story short, the TV mounted just fine, took a few adjustments to get things just right, and now, after all the work, I have to say that I am indeed impressed by the quality difference between a pure LCD TV and the edge lit, local dimming wonders of the 6800 series LED.

I didn't fiddle too much with the settings today - after all there was a lot of football and prime time TV to watch. But the 120hz technology definitely made the action shots in the game look stunning - I mean my jaw was on the floor by how crisp this display was over the old LCD (and keep in mind, my "old" unit is only 3.5 years old). Then moving on to the game consoles, again, racing and top down shooters never looked this good before.

About the only thing I need to see if I can tweak is the local dimming. I specifically got this TV for local dimming, and the size jump, and the one thing I noticed which could just be "the way it is", is that when fast forwarding on the TiVo, the green progress meter changes brightness depending on how bright the surrounding portions of the screen are. So if it is surrounded by bright colors, it actually gets darker, and vice versa. I believe this is done as an attempt to even out the changing brightness of the LEDs, but it is doing it in such a way that makes it painfully obvious to me that it isn't doing that good of a job with it. I haven't noticed really anything other than that one thing, so if it isn't something I can tweak away, I'll just learn to live with it.

Overall... this was an upgrade well worth splurging on. I think the local dimming technology still has some ways to go before we get to that mythical world where every single pixel has an infinite contrast ratio, but Samsung has brought us all a lot closer to that reality. In the end, it only matters what you perceive the picture to be doing, not what the technology actually does, and based on what I've seen so far, I expect that I'll be wowed quite often in the weeks to come as I re-watch some old favorite movies on the new screen.
post #280 of 426 Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe682 View Post

89$ us works well, not needed if you connect to switch/router directly. direct connection is quicker...

Thanks. My router is actually in a closet right behind where the tv is so i think i am going to just poke a hole through the wall and go with the direct connection....

post #281 of 426 Old 12-13-2010, 03:48 PM

Hi Everyone,

Quick inquiry; can all 6800/6900 owners please visit the following site:
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...ush-Hour-28725

Is it just me, or is there distortion in the grey areas? I see a lot of static on the grey areas of that page for my 6800.

I'm just wondering if it's my TV set, or is this a known issue.
Also, does anyone know if there's a solution to this?

I have the most current firmware (version 1032)

Thoughts?
post #282 of 426 Old 12-13-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust1n View Post

Hi Everyone,

Quick inquiry; can all 6800/6900 owners please visit the following site:
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...ush-Hour-28725

Is it just me, or is there distortion in the grey areas? I see a lot of static on the grey areas of that page for my 6800.

I'm just wondering if it's my TV set, or is this a known issue.
Also, does anyone know if there's a solution to this?

I have the most current firmware (version 1032)

Thoughts?

Oh yeah, here are my current TV settings:

Profile: Movie
Backlight 7
Contrast 95
Brightness 45
Sharpness 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast low
Gamma 0
Color Space: Auto
Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off
xvYCC Off
LED Motion Plus Off
Color Tone Warm1
Size Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter Off
MPEG Noise Filter Off
HDMI Black Level Low (or Normal if greyed out)
Auto Motion Plus: Clear
Smart LED: Standard
White Balance:
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 26
R-Gain: 30
G-Gain: 23
B-Gain: 31
post #283 of 426 Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post

My Netflix is jumpy on the playback. Has anyone found a solution for this yet? I am still playing with settings at this point. I am very disappointed. My 52" Sony XBR accesses Netflix through an LG networked DVD player. I have no such issues on that. If I cannot get a solution soon, I may return the set and stick with standard LCD.

Any feedback on this from fellow owners? I have read similar complaints on here but no solutions.

I guess if that is the way the tv works, back it goes to BestBuy next weekend.

Please let me know if anyone has any solutions!
post #284 of 426 Old 12-14-2010, 06:53 PM

UPDATE: I finally recieved my replacement 6800 from amazon the first one had severe clouding on the left side, well the second one is night and day better. There is almost no clouding and even less flashlighting I am completely happy with this set now i'm glad I gave it another shot
post #285 of 426 Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any feedback on this from fellow owners? I have read similar complaints on here but no solutions.

I guess if that is the way the tv works, back it goes to BestBuy next weekend.

Please let me know if anyone has any solutions!

I guess no updates from anyone. Looks like it is going back to BB this weekend.
post #286 of 426 Old 12-15-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Netflix works great - good wireless connection and speed.
Quote:
My Netflix is jumpy on the playback.
Quote:
I guess no updates from anyone. Looks like it is going back to BB this weekend.
What happened after your initial impression? I have a 6900 and have no issues with Netflix being "jumpy". Do you have AMP turned on in the settings for netflix playback? Is your network connection intermittent?
post #287 of 426 Old 12-15-2010, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mko1024

What happened after your initial impression? I have a 6900 and have no issues with Netflix being "jumpy". Do you have AMP turned on in the settings for netflix playback? Is your network connection intermittent?
My initial impression was based on installing the link stick, connecting, testing speed (5 Mbps) and seeing my movie list plus new options. Pretty cool.

We then watched a movie and both of us noticed this blurring occurring. I tried it with AMP on and off - same results. We have never seen this on my Sony XBR streaming through a LG networked DVD player.

Am I missing something? Is there a section where AMP settings are specifically for Netflix? I thought it was a global setting, regardless of the signal source?
post #288 of 426 Old 12-16-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Am I missing something? Is there a section where AMP settings are specifically for Netflix? I thought it was a global setting, regardless of the signal source?

No, it's definitely not global. It's different in every mode, Movie, Natural, etc. and when playing Netflix or any other Internet app.

I'm not sure why, but they didn't make it easy to find the settings controls for Netflix either. To adjust the settings (all of them) for Netflix, you have to start a movie playing, then press the "Tools" button on the remote. That brings up a menu where you can adjust the settings specific to that mode.

Give that a try. I'm not a fan of AMP. I have it set on one notch above off. I cant recall what that's called, clear maybe?

If you have a lot of time on your hands, most of the information in this thread is also applicable to your set. That's where I learned of this trick to find the settings.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1234875
post #289 of 426 Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mko1024 View Post

No, it's definitely not global. It's different in every mode, Movie, Natural, etc. and when playing Netflix or any other Internet app.

I'm not sure why, but they didn't make it easy to find the settings controls for Netflix either. To adjust the settings (all of them) for Netflix, you have to start a movie playing, then press the "Tools" button on the remote. That brings up a menu where you can adjust the settings specific to that mode.

Give that a try. I'm not a fan of AMP. I have it set on one notch above off. I cant recall what that's called, clear maybe?

If you have a lot of time on your hands, most of the information in this thread is also applicable to your set. That's where I learned of this trick to find the settings.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1234875

I will check it out tonight. At this point it may be moot. My wife would like to get a less expensive tv. I will see how it looks and if it sways her decision. We may swap for a 40" Samsung or 47" Vizio with backlit LCD.

I am also getting disappointed in this year's selection of tvs. All manufacturers seem to have panel issues (flashlighting, clouding, blooming) or issues with boards and software. I think I am going to get something less expensive so I don't get so worried about tv issues!
post #290 of 426 Old 12-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I calibrated my 6900 using the Expert Patterns in the tv menu. Looks much better. I probably have some slight tweaks but colors and skin tones look much more natural.

Thanks for the tip on the Netflix AMP adjustment. The motion looks much better!
post #291 of 426 Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 AM

I encountered similar problems that you encountered with Netflix when I first setup my wireless system. After adjusting the AMP, voila, the video looked great.

However, I completely power off the TV and my other components every night using power strip. I lose all my Wireless setting each time and have to re- setup. Maybe I'm missing something with the setup, it should be able to retain the wireless security key and other info.
post #292 of 426 Old 12-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I ended up returning the tv. My wife decided it was just too big for the bedroom. We got a 32" Sony EX500 LCD instead.
post #293 of 426 Old 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM

I'm surprised close captioning does not work when using HDMI. Is this a general limitation of HDMI or the TV? I actually use this feature on other TVs.

magstin3, I think you answered your own question. Don't turn off the powerstrip if you want the wireless setting retained. Just turn off the TV (it's not 100% "off.")
post #294 of 426 Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM

I think you are absolutely right - thanks.....
post #295 of 426 Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 PM

Well it seems that my TV is not as great as I thought. My panel is the SQ01. I am having the following issues:

-Triple ball effect with dark objects against light backgrounds
-red blurring/ghosting from mouths and edges of faces when in motion.

No combination of settings has decreased or eliminated either of these issues. I did read that increasing the brightness can help reduce the red ghosting. I will try this tomorrow.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Should I try an exchange? I am just scared that if I exchange it I might get one that is worse.

Any info/advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #296 of 426 Old 12-21-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post

I'm surprised close captioning does not work when using HDMI. Is this a general limitation of HDMI or the TV? I actually use this feature on other TVs.

It's HDMI, not the TV.

Captions are not transmitted thru HDMI, so if you are getting a signal from cable or satellite, to show captions you need to turn on the captions setting on the BOX, not the TV. All boxes (cable boxes, DVRs, TiVos, etc) have this setting.

If you are getting an OTA signal, you CAN use the captions of the TV.

The one area that's in a grey limbo is DVD players. They often use HDMI, and there is no standard for how captions are handled on DVD players.
post #297 of 426 Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 AM

Hello to all, received a UN55C6800 yesterday. Ordered from Amazon, Pilot delivery was uneventful. Out of the box the TV exhibits flashlighting in all four corners, bleeding along the bottom edge, and a mottled gray and black screen when no image is displayed. Called Samsung and received little to no help: was told to wait two to three weeks and that the flashlighting and clouding would go away. Is there any reason to believe that it will?
post #298 of 426 Old 12-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hflnc View Post

Hello to all, received a UN55C6800 yesterday. Ordered from Amazon, Pilot delivery was uneventful. Out of the box the TV exhibits flashlighting in all four corners, bleeding along the bottom edge, and a mottled gray and black screen when no image is displayed. Called Samsung and received little to no help: was told to wait two to three weeks and that the flashlighting and clouding would go away. Is there any reason to believe that it will?

Does it go away or do you just get used to it?
I don't think it would go away. You should calibrate your display first, then check again. It should improve this issue.
post #299 of 426 Old 12-21-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

It's HDMI, not the TV.

Captions are not transmitted thru HDMI, so if you are getting a signal from cable or satellite, to show captions you need to turn on the captions setting on the BOX, not the TV. All boxes (cable boxes, DVRs, TiVos, etc) have this setting.

If you are getting an OTA signal, you CAN use the captions of the TV.

The one area that's in a grey limbo is DVD players. They often use HDMI, and there is no standard for how captions are handled on DVD players.

Judging from your comment, astrohip, it's, actually, NOT HDMI, it's the box setting (to blame). Am I correct? Why blame HDMI if it is not being told what to do by the box? ............. Am I understanding this correctly?
post #300 of 426 Old 12-21-2010, 04:36 PM

If by calibrating you mean adjusting settings (referencing suggested setup from this site) then yes, it has been adjusted. Turning backlight down helps a bit but nothing else seems to have much of an affect. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has seen these issues go away over time.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page